Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,499 posts
  • 443 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2E49463C-FBF8-427F-9E75-7A139BA2723C (resized).jpeg
    B489E7CE-9FBA-4938-AF66-220D817E2118 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5238 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2024-03-23 at 8.01.30 PM.png
    p183982_b_h10_ad (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 10.23.38 AM (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 8.21.48?PM (resized).png
    IMG_1593 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2061 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 8.43.57 AM (resized).jpg
    google (resized).jpg
    3oforH0q_1811141354531 (resized).jpg
    rain sing (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1710278609225 (resized).jpg
    Resized_20240306_152326 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Roostking.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3137 2 years ago

I am old enoughf to know communism was bad. Now we have China apologists, even after covid. When did communism become cool?

#3148 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:When the average price of a new car costs more than my house I bought 42 years ago.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/21/business/car-prices-record-high-short-supply/index.html
    " The average new car price was $37,200 in the first quarter, according to JD Power, up 8.4% from the same period just a year ago."
    -----------------------------------------------
    When today's pickup trucks are larger than the tractor/trucks used to pull trailers in the 1950s.
    (Look at this monster. You almost need a step ladder to get in. And all the pickups now have steps built into the rear bumpers, or you would have to haul a step ladder around to be able to climb into the pickup bed).
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

'Merica!

2 years later
    #6012 8 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I was off in my years in replying to Swampfire's posts.
    It was in 1987 I sat at the side of my dad's hospital bed as we smoked and joked. He died in May 1988. On New Years Eve, 1988, my mom went into hospital ( a different hospital ) and was on the cancer floor. Smoking in the rooms was not allowed but down at the end of the hallway was a bench and an ashtray. My mom died in Feb. 1989.
    In the early 80s, the college I attended allowed smoking the the lobbies.
    As noted earlier, The Feds shut down smoking in the early 90s.
    It was different back then.
    Smokers sort of ruled the country. Non-smokers had to just shut up and take it. There were cigarette commercials on TV, in the pages of the magazines, on road signs.
    You could walk into a grocery store and see stomped out cigarette butts on the floor.
    Smokers were inconsiderate. My dad had a small retail shop selling and repairing vacuum cleaners (now you know why I am so hosed up ) and one day an old woman was in looking for a vacuum cleaner. And my salesman father was displaying the features of the sweeper while blowing clouds of smoke in her face; He was oblivious to the offense; it was just different back then.
    IIRC, hospital gift shops sold cigarettes. Every shop sold cigarettes. There were cigarette machines everywhere.
    And hospitals were no exception.
    One place that you could not smoke was in the libraries. Except if you lived in Winston-Salem North Carolina. Since the tobacco companies funded the library there smoking was allowed and ashtrays were furnished ( I only read about this. I have never been to N. Carolina).

You know how you know youvare getting old?

Our recollection of past events get skewed!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Roostking.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-?tu=Roostking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.