Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,620 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by JethroP
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Yesterday age came up when talking about a movie outbreak, and this girl had no idea what the movie was. She said she was born in 1996 and that just sounded weird to me. She asked me when I was born and I answered 1972, she replied that's when my mom was born. I truly felt old as I walked away.

Ha, ha, ha!!!! My mother was born in 1926. Still alive too.

#243 5 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

You Remember either of these.[quoted image][quoted image]

Ha! My sister was taken to downtown Detroit on a Streetcar to Hudson's for her first haircut. Yes, they had similar elevators with operators in each car.

When it was my turn, the streetcars were gone and the tracks were already shipped to Japan for scrapping.

#245 5 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

A TI I bet. I had the same one and it was amazing.

Rockwell calculators.

#256 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Well duh....that would be like saying you dont know how to set a choke. Or even use a manual choke for that matter!

That's the best: You know you're old if you or even your parents had a new vehicle with a manual choke. '63 Buick LeSabre and a '64 Ford eCONoline van.

#263 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

You remember Jack Parr and Johnny Carson

Used to watch Johnny all the time. Only saw Parr when he was Leno's guest on his first show after Johnny retired.

#266 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

[quoted image]

That's why Bally released a Wacky Racers Slot machine aboot two years ago.

#268 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

You remember sitting in the front car seat as a little kid.
    Better yet, you remember riding on the speaker platform between the rear seat and rear window.
    Your seat belt/airbag was Mom's arm across your neck when coming to a quick stop.

Or, sitting on the engine box between the front seats in a '64 Ford Econoline Van. Plus, I would "help" dad by pulling out the Choke lever that was on the front of it. When the engine started sputtering, Pops would yell at, or smack me.
    True story.

#273 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

That engine box could get pretty warm. Nice in the winter though. I had a '64 with windows and a '65 windowless that made it from St. Louis to Los Angeles in 1974 filled with Bally and United bingos with unscheduled stops in Enid, Oklahoma for a wheel bearing and San Bernadino, Ca for a locked up transmission. Great memories.

This was in the winter because as you said that black steel box got hot. Nice in the winter though.
    Don't feel bad about your transmission as it was nine years old. On the first trip with my Dad's new '64 (Windowless) with a dreaded Ford Automatic Transmission, he went 125 miles into Ohio. The transmission locked in 1st gear. He drove it home going barely 30 MPH as he had to be at work the next day. The dealer replaced the transmission under warranty.

#278 5 years ago

Laying on the back deck in my parents '68 Buick Wildcat looking at the stars on road trips was pretty cool.

#383 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You remember when White Castle sliders were 5¢
    LTG : )

I remember when they were 14¢

You're not that much older than me.....

#386 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That was a genius idea that didn't last very long. lol

Those were sold in Canada until not so long ago.

20180630_071337 (resized).png20180630_071337 (resized).png
    2 weeks later
    #449 5 years ago
    Quoted from sulli10:

You meet an old girlfriend and she tells you about her grand child’s college graduation.

Just remember her as she was......

#450 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gomer1969:

I was talking to a younger Bald co-worker lamenting the fact that my hair is thinning. He told me to just shave it off.
    I said no way I wouldn't look good bald I would look like Kojak. He just looked at me and said who?
    God I thought everyone new Kojak.
    [quoted image]

Who loves you, baby?

#452 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Hey Gomer, I'm sure most people wouldn't know who Gomer Pyle is either...What about Roy Rogers & Dale Evans?

My son knows who Roy Rogers is. He's the guy with the Roast Beef restaurants on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Turnpikes, also the Garden State Parkway, New York Thruway and Chesapeake House service center on the JFK memorial highway in Maryland.

Added over 6 years ago:

Also, the Maryland House service center on the JFK Memorial Highway ( I-95 ).

#457 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Those restaurants still around? Loved the roast beef sandwiches. Used to be a lot of RR franchises in the Philly area that all turned into Boston Market.

Yes, a close one to you is at the Peter J. Camiel service plaza (formerly known as the Brandywine plaza) on America's First Superhighway, the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

I neglected to also mention the one in the Frank S. Farley Service Center on the Atlantic City Expressway.

Screenshot_20180901-173831 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180901-173831 (resized).png
    #465 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

Ok Art. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you.
    You needed my deadbolt kit. 15 minutes tops. [quoted image]

I really liked the Ilco hand crank jig and boring tool used for tubular deadbolt locks. This was prior to battery-powered tools being available. The shaft of the bit was threaded and you cranked it in and it went through the wood in no time flat, it even worked on residential steel doors.

The locksmith I worked for in high school summers had one. I personally have an old Kwikset dual hole model. Haven't used it in years though.

Yes, time is money for Locksmiths.

#490 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

Do you remember when your family got a color TV? (Of course, some of your friends already had them...).
    How about the rotor on the TV antenna?

We got our first one (19" Sears Silvertone) to watch the 1969 Apollo 11 mission. Got it in June. How disappointing it was to see the moon walk cameras were black & white.

#491 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Not just a color TV, but a Zenith color TV with a Space Command 600 remote control. [quoted image]

A true clicker, well, chime-o-matic. Could have fun rattling a ring of keys by the TV to get the barrel motor a spinnin'.

#500 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

We got our first one (19" Sears Silvertone) to watch the 1969 Apollo 11 mission. Got it in June. How disappointing it was to see the moon walk cameras were black & white.

Our Zenith B&W teevee was a 26" so the color teevee was a downgrade in size. On a metal stand. IIRC, it was $299.00. We started having problems with it (colors started "rolling" across the screen) After three repairs by teevee repair department at Sears, my dad worked out a deal and they delivered a 25 or 26" in a nice wood cabinet and took the 19" one and stand back. The big one was $449.00 IIRC.

Big money for a City of Detroit Carpenter making aboot $3.00/hour.

#553 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

-You thought the original Star Trek series was so cool because it had things you knew could NEVER become reality during your lifetime, like a cordless earphone (used by Uhura), a ship computer that could actually respond to commands made by a human voice, a wireless communicator that let the user talk to someone way out of walkie-talkie range, a high-definition flat video screen at the front of the bridge, a device used by McCoy to conduct a non-invasive medical procedure, and Spock's portable tricorder that provided information and could easily be held and used with two hands.
    -You remember first-hand when mood rings, pet rocks, and lava lamps were cool.
    -You still think of the original Black Knight as a new machine.
    -You were born less than 5 years after the Detroit Lions won their last championship.
    -Some of your favorite lines are "Sorry about that, Chief," "missed it by THAT much," "would you believe...", "and LOVING it," and (my favorite line by 99, when agent 43 died) "you're worth two 43s, 86".

The Cone of Silence is broken. Time to use the portable Cone...

1 week later
    #582 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

That's amazing seeing those family friendly cartoon characters smoking and advertising cigarettes but that was back then. Wonder if there were other kid cartoon characters that smoked?
    Marlboro Man.

The Simpson's are great with their Laramie Cigarettes spoofs. With that Smoooooth taste......

1 week later
    #606 5 years ago

Plano, Dallas' most important suburb......

1 year later
    #1720 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I went to the beer store in my pajamas today....I just didn't care., that's a sign right?

You know you're old if you bought beer at the "Brewer's Retail" stores before they were renamed "The Beer Store".

#1737 3 years ago

J. C. Whitney is alive and well. Plus, they saved the sign from the old store at State & Archer in Chicago.

20200321_083600 (resized).jpg20200321_083600 (resized).jpg20200321_083204 (resized).jpg20200321_083204 (resized).jpg
    3 years later
    #5982 9 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Veterans and Goldstar families are free if they get the pass. Seniors are a negligible fee for a lifetime pass. I just wish I lived closer to the good National Parks.

Lifetime senior pass is $80 and annual is $20....

#5984 9 months ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Lifetime senior pass was like $10 the year before I was eligible, dammit

Tell me aboot it!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-?tu=MrBally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.