Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,499 posts
  • 443 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2E49463C-FBF8-427F-9E75-7A139BA2723C (resized).jpeg
    B489E7CE-9FBA-4938-AF66-220D817E2118 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_5238 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2024-03-23 at 8.01.30 PM.png
    p183982_b_h10_ad (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2024-03-19 at 10.23.38 AM (resized).jpg
    Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 8.21.48?PM (resized).png
    IMG_1593 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2061 (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 8.43.57 AM (resized).jpg
    google (resized).jpg
    3oforH0q_1811141354531 (resized).jpg
    rain sing (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1710278609225 (resized).jpg
    Resized_20240306_152326 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#442 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

If you're using one...

I have one in my basement. Just having a land line these days may mean you're old.

#508 5 years ago

I didn't remember that, I was only 6 at the time. I do remember when they announced that Elvis died. I was home with my sister playing a board game and the TV was on in the background. I also remember my mom tearing up when John Lennon got shot.

2 months later
    #845 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Remember when? If you have to ask, then you are not old enough.
    [quoted image]

I don't remember seeing them but I have one in my gameroom.

The back of mine says "Whistle Squealing". The whole saying is Train approaching, whistle squealing, pause - avoid that, run down feeling, Burma Shave.
    Always thought it would be fun to find the rest of the set but seems unlikely.

BurmaShave (resized).jpgBurmaShave (resized).jpg

3 months later
    #1126 5 years ago

I still see those penny trays around Wisconsin. Especially Kwik Trip gas stations.

1 year later
    #2311 3 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

vintage hottie of the month coming up for November. Any suggestions? Donna Reed Miss December locked in.
    So beautiful in its a wonderful life.

I don't know who she is but Angela Greene works for me.

Thanksgiving Angela Greene (resized).jpgThanksgiving Angela Greene (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #2564 3 years ago

I know I'm old now. I just turned 50. That's just a number. The thing is my wife and I were driving to an antique shop last weekend. She pulls out a couple Saltines and asked me if I wanted one. I said sure. That's when I knew. Eating Saltines with my wife on the way to go antiquing.

1 week later
    #2602 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I never did it. But I had relatives that checked the obituaries everyday.
    LTG : )

My dad used to say he was just checking to make sure he wasn't in them. Ha.

7 months later
    #3474 2 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

Seriously...I don't think I could keep up with you guys anyway.

That's where I am at now too. An old buddy called me up a couple months back to meet up and have some drinks. Just a regular Friday night for him. I ended up feeling like I got hit by a truck the next day. A beer or two with dinner is about all I can muster anymore.

5 months later
    #4134 2 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

You know you are old, if you know what this is:[quoted image]

Hog oiler. Never seen one in operation but know what it is from years of antiquing.

8 months later
    #5398 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You know you’re old when you start feeling like taking an afternoon nap. Or I may just be a little hung over.

You know your old when you feel hungover but didn't drink.

3 months later
    #5514 1 year ago

The last two nights my wife and I watched the Wheel of Fortune together. She's always liked it, suddenly I find I enjoy it too.
    One of the things we look forward to most is seeing the grandkids.
    My wife has suddenly been inspired to make one of these costume jewelry Christmas trees (pic for reference).

She's 49, I'm 52. Premature aging?

05-a-huge-jewelry-Christmas-tree-in-different-colors-with-monograms-in-the-corner (resized).jpg05-a-huge-jewelry-Christmas-tree-in-different-colors-with-monograms-in-the-corner (resized).jpg
    #5518 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

There are Lawrence Welk reruns on YouTube

I remember my parents having it on as a kid. Was painful then. I doubt I'd enjoy it now but looking forward to Wheel of Fortune kind of surprised me so...

#5522 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

You know you are old when the algorithm feeds you ads for nothing but denture cream, fiber supplements, hearing aids, adult diapers and preplanned funerals.

Lot of this stuff gets advertised when I watch Andy Griffith. Another thing I didn't learn to appreciate until later in life. I thought the show was ok when I was a kid. Now it's pure magic.

6 months later
    #6075 7 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

This reminded me that when I was 16, we used to drink beer on the roof of Burger King after work, and threw our empty bottles as far as we could into the woods. We’d try to smash them against a tree. When I went back years later and the woods were gone (replaced by a strip mall), I just thought about our old beer bottles.

One of my first apartments was in a converted old mansion. Ours had a flat roof you could go out on through the window. My buddy and I used to party up on that roof all the time. We used to throw our beer bottles over the road and try to hit an old brick lumberyard building on the other side. If you really whipped one you could hear a satisfying smash. We also threw our halloween pumpkins off it into the road below and snowballs at cars. Seemed like great fun back then.

One night another buddy was over and we got into a bottle of Jack. The roof was about 12 feet off the ground. Someone decide we should jump off. So we all took turns and it was kind of scary but fun. No one managed to twist an ankle so we ran up to try again. We all did it a couple times and eventually the visiting buddy decided to up the stakes. He thought it would be a good idea to try and jump out and grab a tree near by. Sure made sense. Ha. So he lept out and and didn't really get a good grab on the tree. He sort of just bounced off the trunk and fell below. He laid on the ground and rolled around moaning for a bit. We were scared and knew we messed up. Anyway after a couple minutes he stood up and shook it off. Ha Ha, we didn't try for the tree after that.

3 weeks later
    #6149 7 months ago

When I was around 6 or 7 years old I wanted one of these bikes. We saw a yellow Stingray at a rummage sale. It had missing spokes, some rust and ripped seat. Basically clapped out. I begged for it but my dad said we should hold out for something nicer.

Some time goes by and he brings a bike home for me. I think it was a Schwinn but can't remember for sure. He had the guys at the motorcycle shop repaint it, it had a new banana seat, good tires. It was done up real nice but was a girls bike. I remember being bummed and disappointed. The idea of my buddies seeing me on this thing was humiliating. He probably just wanted to save me from of racking my nuts. Anyway looking back I see how special it was that he did that for me even though it wasn't exactly what I wanted.

1 month later
    #6245 5 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

My parents had an old 78 rpm record player. They also had a stack of records. My 2 favs that I played over and over and over....were:
    1) "Smoke Smoke Smoke (that cigarette) " by Tex Williams

I have that one in my old 1428. Collecting 78s is fun. I always look through them when antiquing or rummaging. Getting something recognizable or fun is a rare score. Found an Elvis - "Love Me Tender" and Andrews Sisters - "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" last Summer.

1428 (resized).jpg1428 (resized).jpg
    #6284 5 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That was literally when T6MDM officially jumped the shark.

I only have a vague recollection and pretty sure I thought it was awesome. Ha ha. I was only 5 though.

3 weeks later
    #6543 4 months ago

You know you're old when putting the correct number of candles on your cake seems like too much work/fire hazard.

Cake (resized).jpgCake (resized).jpg
    #6545 4 months ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Happy birthday Alex?

Thanks buddy!

#6547 4 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Happy Birthday, Alex!
    Love that cake!

Thanks! It's delicious too. Boston creme cake. Still working on finishing it. A nice surprise from the family.

Cake1 (resized).jpgCake1 (resized).jpg
    #6552 4 months ago

Sending me that 4 Bagger was more than enough but ok.

1 week later
    #6649 3 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

My girlfriend's 2 year old 43" Vizeo TV went on the fritz. Sometimes it will turn on. Most of the time it won't. Solution: A 43" Samsung from Walmart.
    I call what TV repair guys who are still around: "Would you like a free TV? If you know how to fix TVs you can have a free one to fix and sell. No takers. Not one.
    I place an ad on Craigslist: TV for parts or repair. No takers.
    I called a couple of electronics recyclers. One says they do not take TVs. But that Best Buy will take them and charge you for taking your TV trash.
    I called another electronics recycler. Same thing. They will take it off of my hands for $20.00. This tells me there is absolutely no value to a broken TV.
    I hate to do this but I am going to find a dumpster to toss this worthless POS TV into.
    It seems that TVs have entered the world of toasters. I remember when you took a toaster to the local appliance repair guy. Now, you just throw them away and clog the landfills.

I have a 55" Vizio that did the same thing after about a year of owning it. Replaced the power supply and it's been going for years now. It's got a terrible reflective screen on it. If there is any sunlight in the room it's hard to see. I wish it would die for real now. Ha ha.

2 months later
    #7217 50 days ago

We used to get a kite almost every year in our Easter basket. They didn't last long. Usually hung up in a tree or whatever but were fun. I remember one year I got a cool American flag themed kite with a reel for the string. Like a fishing reel. It got up so high I couldn't get it pulled back in and had to cut the string. I can't remember the last time I saw a kid flying a kite?

Screenshot 2024-02-06 at 7.56.17 AM (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-02-06 at 7.56.17 AM (resized).png

1 month later
    #7421 14 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You know you are old when.....You think Marijuana now smells awful, but you were totally fine with it when you were young.

Hasn't it changed? I've never smoked but when i was young and would get a whiff at a concert, I thought it smelled kind of nice. Now it smells exactly like a dead skunk.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider AlexF.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-?tu=AlexF and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.