Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,611 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    There are 7,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 153.
    #4501 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Speaking of old, a famous actor named Nehemiah Persoff, just recently passed away at age 102.
    He appeared in many TV shows in the '60s and '70s.

I never knew who he was but saw him in Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and a movie that I watched in political science class.

Quoted from jrpinball:

June Lockhart is way up there too.

She was born in 1925. I can still see her cranking that old time telephone during the intros to Lassie.

She was the all American mom.

Long time ago I watched an interview with some long forgotten actress who talked about working on a set with Lockhart. She described the set where they were in some sort of boat getting tossed around and being flooded with water. And she quoted Lockhart as saying, " Who do I have to fuck to get off of this job." The all American mom.

Did you know that Ozzie Nelson from Ozzie and Harriet was an atheist? Yep. No joke. The all American dad was an atheist.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 7.37.42 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2022-04-21 at 7.37.42 PM (resized).jpg

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0625651/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

#4502 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

My grandmother when she was alive was the only one of all her brothers and sisters that did not use tobacco, All my great aunts and great uncles either chewed or smoked. They were poor growing up and living in Kentucky. For you old-timers here my grandmother also helped in the tobacco fields and anybody that has done that knows it's backbreaking work.
    See lived to 96 but George Burns smoked a cigar everyday and lived to 100. Who would have figured?

Leonard Nimoy quit back in the 80's and still died from COPD. Shatner smoked and is still going strong. I think it's a little bit genes and a little bit luck, but nobody wants to die from COPD. That's a slow, agonizing way to go.

#4503 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Leonard Nimoy quit back in the 80's and still died from COPD. Shatner smoked and is still going strong. I think it's a little bit genes and a little bit luck, but nobody wants to die from COPD. That's a slow, agonizing way to go.

I did not know know those 2 smoked.

#4504 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When I was 10 YO in 1963, a 10 YO kid could walk in to a small independent grocery store down the street and buy a pack of smokes. I did not start smoking unit I was 14, but the 11 YO across the street smoked a little and talked how he could buy them at that store. When I started smoking at 14 cigarette machines were everywhere. 25 cents a pack for cancer sticks. The first warning labels were put on in 1966.

'Merica!!

#4505 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Many actors/actresses were heavy smokers and drinkers off set. William Talman, who played the ever losing DA on "Perry Mason", died in his 50s from lung cancer due to heavy smoking. He bravely bucked the tobacco companies, and did some of the earliest anti-smoking PSAs as he was dying.

#4506 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Many actors/actresses were heavy smokers and drinkers off set. William Talman, who played the ever losing DA on "Perry Mason", died in his 50s from lung cancer due to heavy smoking. He bravely bucked the tobacco companies, and did some of the earliest anti-smoking PSAs as he was dying.

I remember him. I never knew who he was but in the 60s he was on a TV commercial (that got loads of airplay) admonishing others to quit smoking because the smokes did him in.

I was already smoking by this time in high school. But I was invincible; It took me another 45 years to quit ( 9 years tobacco free now). Hopefully, I get lucky and the self induced damage will slowly correct itself, as the medical pros say.

#4507 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Now with his passing, the oldest living actor/actress that I could find is Larry Storch. He played Corporal Randolph Agarn on the TV show "F Troop".
    He's 99.

jrpinball speaking of F Troop which I used to watch by the way also stared Forest Tucker and he was born in Plainfield, Indiana, on February 12, 1919, a son of Forrest A. Tucker and his wife, Doris Heringlake. My currect location Plainfield Indiana also moved back in 2008. I remember a October Festival here at the Plainfield Plaza back in the early 70's. He was a judge of some of the kids paintings on the front of the windows of the stores. I remember seeing him here and almost got choosen for my picture but of the three prizes two of them went to friends of mine.

This festival a year before the judge was Barbara Eden and I think she is still alive also. Great looking back then she was for a 10 year old boy the admire.

mcluvin quote: I think it's a little bit genes and a little bit luck, but nobody wants to die from COPD. That's a slow, agonizing way to go.

My brother who is 3 years younger than me has it and still smokes by the way. His doctor said he had the lungs of a 83 year old and this was a few years ago he is by the way 56.

By the way mcluvin I see you adopted the Ukrainian stamp where he is saying Hello to that Russian ship.

#4508 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

My currect location Plainfield Indiana

Believe it or not, I've been to Plainfield Indiana. Had to go to a medical lab out there a couple of times for my job.

#4509 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

My brother who is 3 years younger than me has it and still smokes by the way. His doctor said he had the lungs of a 83 year old and this was a few years ago he is by the way 56.

Bad habits are tough to quit. I overheard a guy talking about how he was diagnosed with COPD. He explained that since he's already got it, nothing he can do about it now, and continues to smoke.

Quoted from Grayman_EM:

By the way mcluvin I see you adopted the Ukrainian stamp where he is saying Hello to that Russian ship.

Gotta show my support. Slava Ukraini!

#4510 2 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Bad habits are tough to quit. I overheard a guy talking about how he was diagnosed with COPD. He explained that since he's already got it, nothing he can do about it now, and continues to smoke.

Gotta show my support. Slava Ukraini!

Actress Ingrid Bergman was a heavy smoker. When she was diagnosed with lung cancer she kept on smoking reasoning it was too late to quit.

My dad was a heavy smoker. He diagnosed with lung cancer and kept on smoking until he died.

#4511 2 years ago

My aunt Minnie was a smoker untill her 80s and thats when she quit. She passed last year at 107 years old.

#4512 2 years ago

Ya doy, in most cases stopping is better than not stopping, despite whatever ailment it already garnered you!

#4513 2 years ago

You know you're old when you've earned the right to blame your farts on not just the dog but on anyone you please and not be argued with.

#4514 2 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

You know you're old when you've earned the right to blame your farts on not just the dog but on anyone you please and not be argued with.

Nah,
    You know you're old when 'ya just let 'em fly and don't give a rip.
    ...no pun intended.

#4515 2 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Have to tell you that my brother is the king of this. He does ground maintenance around a university and drives around a truck there. He was telling me that he was going so good that the guy in the truck cab was hanging out the window to get some fresh air.

Another time he was mad at his boss there and the boss wasn't around at the time so he walked into his office and ripped a long one and left closing the door. Within 5 minutes that boss returned to a fresh smell that his nose picked up I was told. Nobody there admitted to it by the way but was the funniest thing I have heard that a person did to their boss.

#4516 1 year ago

Going to Value Village today!. Looking for vintage Rock cds, toys

#4517 1 year ago

Hopefully a hoe as well..

#4518 1 year ago

On the way! Stuck me in the back seat.

20220424_140640 (resized).jpg20220424_140640 (resized).jpg
    #4519 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Going to Value Village today!. Looking for vintage Rock cds, toys

Can't support a for profit outfit when everything they resell is free, would rather go to real non profit/thrift store. Also like to keep it local. VV is a us company. To each their own , just sayin.

#4520 1 year ago

From an actor friend of mine who was with the Lost and Space cast and was taping an anniversary show years ago. They were off stage prepping for the shoot, June arrived last and late and announced "The star is here" to which Jonathan Harris (Dr. Smith character) said "The c* is here".

Jonathan Harris did not get along well with June Lockhart. Apparently in between takes of Lost In Space she and Guy Williams would hit the trailer and knock boots. That by the way is heresay and I cannot vouch for one way or another. I had heard or read rumors in the tabloids that Guy Williams was gay. Publicly, he was married with children. Not that it is important but just one of those "Really?" questions that sensationalize things when you are younger. So that leads to the next paragraph:

My own Close Encounter of the June Lockhart kind- I went to see a play. As I sat down in the audience, June Lockhart was sitting in a row in front of me. She had turned around and was talking to people. I introduced myself, said I was a huge fan and asked if I can ask her a slightly off question. She said sure. I asked her if Guy Williams was gay(Professor Robinson - her tv husband on Lost In Space and tv's Zorro). She said "He wasn't when I knew him." and she paused to think. I thanked her and wished her well and she was polite.

Fast forward to an hour into the play I was coughing a couple times and she turned around and say "shush" louder than my cough to me. Maybe for the Guy Williams comment and the fact I got under her skin? Wife and I weren't quite sure but June looked great.

Not to worry - Guy Williams retired after Lost In Space quite wealthy and moved to Argentina. Apparently he had invested well and was sick of acting because he as well as the head of CBS thought Lost In Space was a poor quality show. Mandate was even though the public loved the show, CBS did not so as soon as the ratings dropped a little they made sure there wasn't a season 4. Sure it doesn't stand up over the years but when you are a little kid and don't have a frame of reference it was entertaining.

I did not know that Nehemiah Persoff passed away. Some years ago heard him singing in a festival at a park. Very entertaining guy and was able to talk with him. I remember him from Hogan's Heroes mostly. RIP, Nehemiah.

Quoted from cottonm4:

I never knew who he was but saw him in Gunsmoke, Bonanza, and a movie that I watched in political science class.

She was born in 1925. I can still see her cranking that old time telephone during the intros to Lassie.
    She was the all American mom.
    Long time ago I watched an interview with some long forgotten actress who talked about working on a set with Lockhart. She described the set where they were in some sort of boat getting tossed around and being flooded with water. And she quoted Lockhart as saying, " Who do I have to fuck to get off of this job." The all American mom.
    Did you know that Ozzie Nelson from Ozzie and Harriet was an atheist? Yep. No joke. The all American dad was an atheist.
    [quoted image]
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0625651/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

#4521 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinball2020:

I did not know that Nehemiah Persoff passed away. Some years ago heard him singing in a festival at a park. Very entertaining guy and was able to talk with him. I remember him from Hogan's Heroes mostly. RIP, Nehemiah.

Yup. Just recently. Every time I saw him on an old TV show, I'd quip to my wife, "he's still alive".
    The Twilight Zone episode that he starred in was on the other night, and I figured I'd better just check before saying it again. That's when I discovered he had just passed away earlier this month.

#4522 1 year ago
    20220424_181508 (resized).jpg20220424_181508 (resized).jpg
    #4523 1 year ago

When you remember “no breakable” records

B4C61E08-80BA-4F56-BBC0-66B38CB2B68E (resized).jpegB4C61E08-80BA-4F56-BBC0-66B38CB2B68E (resized).jpeg
    #4524 1 year ago

When you think you’re too old to be playing with pinball machines

#4525 1 year ago

I hope that I don’t get that old. However, I did get a charlie horse at the patz show.

#4526 1 year ago
    Quoted from Budman:

When you think you’re too old to be playing with pinball machines

Nah, I think if I can stand, I can play. Moving them is another thing.

#4527 1 year ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

I hope that I don’t get that old

The alternative is to die young. Getting old is not for wussies but I'll keep taking my chances.

#4528 1 year ago

I was talking to my grandson Justin this past Saturday. He is 19 years old. He said he was leaving to meet some friends. I asked him if they were going cruising. He said that was not feasible anymore because of the high price of gasoline. Sad.
    When I was his age a couple of bucks would get you a night of cruising.

#4529 1 year ago

Flashback:

You’re 9 and your mom is picking you up from the swimming pool. You throw your towel on the plastic backseat, and that saves your ass from getting burned. But then she says “buckle up!”. The metal buckle burns a red rectangle on your stomach. You push it around so it’s not sitting in one place for too long.

You reach over and fondle the metal ashtray. You flip it open and closed noisily until your mom says “stop that!”. So you take the ashtray completely out to play with it. Maybe you even lick it, to see what the metal tastes like. It tastes good. You look down into the hole where the ashtray was.

#4530 1 year ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

I was talking to my grandson Justin this past Saturday. He is 19 years old. He said he was leaving to meet some friends. I asked him if they were going cruising. He said that was not feasible anymore because of the high price of gasoline. Sad.

A 55 Chevy going too fast on a country dirt road with cornfields on either side is America to me (thinking about the gas prices vs now)

#4531 1 year ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

I call BS. With gas prices adjusted for inflation, and more efficient cars nowadays, the cost now is about the same.

#4532 1 year ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

We called it "wasting gas".

#4533 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I call BS. With gas prices adjusted for inflation, and more efficient cars nowadays, the cost now is about the same.

Yes, but minimum wage has not been keeping up with inflation

#4534 1 year ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I know that your gas is cheaper in America, but here in my province, it’s basically $8/gallon. And who wants to cruise around town in an economical 4 cylinder car looking for chicks? Lol

#4535 1 year ago

True, there's cruising, and then there's cruising!

#4536 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

I know that your gas is cheaper in America, but here in my province, it’s basically $8/gallon. And who wants to cruise around town in an economical 4 cylinder car looking for chicks? Lol

Since this is a old thread I remember it when I was little at .32 cents a gallon. Wish I could have driven then.

#4537 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Since this is a old thread I remember it when I was little at .32 cents a gallon. Wish I could have driven then.

That sir, is the lowest cost I ever paid. I remember because the station (CLARK) was giving out tickets every time you filled up, and would post the numbers in the window..10 numbers every week, and I won one of them and was thrilled. (10 gal) I was 16 with my GTO that I bought at 15 (had to wait until I got my license).

#4538 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

That would be a good poll question. I think the lowest I can recall is 0.99 per gallon.

#4539 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

That’s crazy..what year was that? I remember living in so cal back in ‘00, and gas was $1/gallon. I didn’t regret having a 454 under the hood of my Chevy truck at the time

#4540 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

That’s crazy..what year was that? I remember living in so cal back in ‘00, and gas was $1/gallon. I didn’t regret having a 454 under the hood of my Chevy truck at the time

It had to be early 70's most likely 1970-1971? That would have made me 8 or 9. Had to walk about two blocks to the gas station to get a gallon for the lawn mower.

#4541 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

https://www.creditdonkey.com/gas-price-history.html

#4542 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

It had to be early 70's most likely 1970-1971? That would have made me 8 or 9. Had to walk about two blocks to the gas station to get a gallon for the lawn mower.

Ha, had one of these growing up. No gas required!!

mower (resized).jpgmower (resized).jpg
    #4543 1 year ago

When I was about 10 gas was 35 cents a gallon. When I was in my teens and driving in the middle 70's it was 50 cents for a long time. Around 1969 I would get a dollar a week allowance and I had to work for it cleaning house.On friday we would go to the grocery store and my mom would give me my dollar allowance and a dollar for dinner. I could get 4 tacos and a Coke at Taco Bell for 1 buck.

#4544 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

That's about the lowest I remember too. That was in the mid-late '60s in the NY metro area. Of course my dad was making like $180 a week, so it's all relative.

Quoted from poppapin:

Ha, had one of these growing up. No gas required!!

Yeah, me too!

#4545 1 year ago

1972 in Florida gas was around .30-.37 a gallon. Driving to California in 1979 I went nuts seeing prices jump across the US culminating with gas at .90 a gallon and gas lines, shortages.

Jeeze I don't feel that old .....Today .

#4546 1 year ago

Heating oil was like $0.11/gallon too. I paid over $5.00/gallon the last time I had to get some!

#4547 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Quoted from Atari_Daze:

That would be a good poll question. I think the lowest I can recall is 0.99 per gallon.

Quoted from hwyhed:

1960. Small town. I was in 2nd grade: My friend's dad had gas station. 19.9 cents per gallon.

High School: 1966. Newly minted drivers license. 25.9 cents per gallon. I was driving a Ford Galaxy with a gas hog 390 CI engine. I never gave the price of gas a 2nd thought. But most of the time I was probably driving around on a quarter tank

1971: Part time job pumping gas. 25.9 cent per gallon.

1973: Before the first oil crisis ( Saudi Arabia clamped down due to U.S./ Israel actions that pissed the Saudis off). 25.9 per gallon.

1974: post gas crisis gas went up to 48. 9 cent per gallon.

1977: I was operating a gas station. A gallon of gas was selling for around .60/.70 cent per gallon.

1978: The 2nd oil crisis shock. This time Iran was clamping down ( I think because we were supporting Iraq during the Iran/Iraq war ). Gas finally broke a dollar per gallon.

I do remember when a lot of people pulled up to the pumps ( full service as self service had not been invented yet ) and say, " I'll take a dollar's worth regular" which was almost 4 gallons of gas. And I would not see them until a week later when they returned for another "dollar's worth of regular".

All we had then was regular, and premium---which we always called Ethyl due to the higher anti-knock chemicals that were added for high compression engines. Ethyl coast more per gallon. My mom's old Ford used regular. My dad's Cadillac needed Ethyl. My friend's Corvette needed Ethyl. Both of these gas configurations were of the leaded gas variety.

Unleaded gas: Somewhere around 1970, unleaded gas started hitting the market. It cost more than leaded gas and people would not use it. By the time, 1977, when I was operating the gas station, the auto mfrs. were addressing unleaded's lack of use. The gas handle dispensers were of a smaller diameter than regular and premium, and restricters were added to the gas fill tube so you could not put regular into your unleaded car. But...I had some kids that carried a funnel in their trunk so they could fill up with the cheaper regular gas. Unleaded was about 10 cents per gallon more.

https://www.nytimes.com/1970/02/15/archives/industry-backs-gm-on-unleaded-gas.html

#4548 1 year ago

Happy that we went to cleaner gas. When I moved to LA there were clouds of smog and these days not so much. A lot of fossil fuel industries closed out or moved out of state too.

Quoted from cottonm4:

1960. Small town. I was in 2nd grade: My friend's dad had gas station. 19.9 cents per gallon.
    High School: 1966. Newly minted drivers license. 25.9 cents per gallon. I was driving a Ford Galaxy with a gas hog 390 CI engine. I never gave the price of gas a 2nd thought. But most of the time I was probably driving around on a quarter tank
    1971: Part time job pumping gas. 25.9 cent per gallon.
    1973: Before the first oil crisis ( Saudi Arabia clamped down due to U.S./ Israel actions that pissed the Saudis off. 25.9 per gallon.
    1974: post gas crisis gas went up to 48. 9 cent per gallon.
    1977: I was operating a gas station. A gallon of gas was selling for around .60/.70 cent per gallon.
    1978: The 2nd oil crisis shock. This time Iran was clamping down ( I think because we were supporting Iraq during the Iran/Iraq war ). Gas finally broke a dollar per gallon.
    I do remember when a lot of people pulled up to the pumps ( full service as self service had not been invented yet ) and say, " I'll take a dollar's worth regular" which was almost 4 gallons of gas. And I would not see them until a week later when that return for another "dollar's worth of regular".
    All we had then was regular, and premium---which we always called Ethyl due to the higher anti-knock chemicals that were added for high compression engines. Ethyl coast more per gallon. My mom's old Ford used regular. My dad's Cadillac needed Ethyl. My friend's Corvette needed Ethyl. Both of these gas configurations were of the leaded gas variety.
    Unleaded gas: Somewhere around 1970, unleaded gas started hitting the market. It cost more than leaded gas and people would not use it. By the time, 1977, when I was operating the gas station, the auto mfrs. were addressing unleaded's lack of use. The gas handle dispensers were of a smaller diameter than regular and premium, and restricters were added to the gas fill tube so you could not put regular into your unleaded car. But...I had some kids that carried a funnel in their trunk so they could fill up with the cheaper regular gas. Unleaded was about 10 cents per gallon more.
    https://www.nytimes.com/1970/02/15/archives/industry-backs-gm-on-unleaded-gas.html

#4549 1 year ago

Sticker shock for me is when I left Kansas and was paying 25 cents for a pack of cigarettes and moved to Texas where the added Texas taxes jacked the price to 55 cents per pack. Madre de Dios ! An extra 30 cents per pack! Texas was robbing me

#4550 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinball2020:

Happy that we went to cleaner gas. When I moved to LA there were clouds of smog and these days not so much. A lot of fossil fuel industries closed out or moved out of state too.

Oh yeah man. I did a little bit of flying while in the navy. I love looking out the windows while in flight. This flight was going to a Air National Guard base in Orange, Cali. I'm looking out the window and the plane was losing altitude to land. In one fell swoop my vision was reduced to zero as we dropped down into the California smog. After we were on the ground an deplaned, there was no blue sky. The horizon was just a hazy shit brown color.

There are 7,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/91 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.