Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,615 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by frenchmarky
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    There are 7,615 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 153.
    #4251 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Never understood the hate for a fanny pack.

I don't think I hate the pack as much as I hate the name.

#4252 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

In another 10 years or so, rock and roll, which was never going die, will be dead and a foot note in the history books.

It died a long time ago, all we see now are the occasional ghost sightings.

-

Real 'Rock N Roll' lasted for about 10 years, from Rocket 88 in 1951 (Bill Haley, Elvis, Bobby Daren)

Then you had about 8 years of early BoyBands with their media blitz and Saturday morning cartoons (Beatles, Monkees)

Then Hard Rock lasted for almost 10 years '67 to '75 (Zep, Who, Foghat)

Then Commercial AOR Rock lasted 7 years '75 (Journey, REO, Van Hallen, last version of Rainbow)

Then Punk and NewWave got some action '76 to '87 (Pistols, Clash, Idol)

Then Hair Metal got it's embarrassing decade in '82 (Crue, GnR, Warrant)

Then you got a decade of Grunge in '90 (Nirvana, STP, Pear Jam, Soundgarden)

Then you got a squirt of Pop Punk in the early 2000 to '11 (Blink182, Greenday, Alkaline Trio)

-

So every genera of **rock** had a ~10 year heyday with a little bit of spillover

You can still go see those oldies acts perform (warning, if they are touring with an orchestra, ABORT!), but no one expects to them to ever put out any material that would match their heyday work*

*Except Rammstein, their last album was their best they ever made.

#4253 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Never understood the hate for a fanny pack.

So much better than a backpack pulling at your shoulders and giving you a sweaty back when riding a bike.

They can also hold a 6 pack.

That's where old fellas carry their pistols. At least that's what everyone thinks...

#4254 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

-
    Real 'Rock N Roll' lasted for about 10 years, from Rocket 88 in 1951 (Bill Haley, Elvis, Bobby Daren)
    Then you had about 8 years of early BoyBands with their media blitz and Saturday morning cartoons (Beatles, Monkees)
    Then Commercial AOR Rock lasted 7 years '75 (Journey, REO, Van Hallen, last version of Rainbow)
    Then you got a squirt of Pop Punk in the early 2000 to '11 (Blink182, Greenday, Alkaline Trio)
    -
    So every genera of **rock** had a ~10 year heyday with a little bit of spillover
    You can still go see those oldies acts perform (warning, if they are touring with an orchestra, ABORT!), but no one expects to them to ever put out any material that would match their heyday work*

To play rock ..first you need to learn to play an instrument. Don't call drake a musician..more of an entertainer.

#4255 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

To play rock ..first you need to learn to play an instrument. Don't call drake a musician..more of an entertainer.

Most of your favorite albums have professional musicians playing the recorded parts, then the band learns the songs for live performance

KISS, Aerosmith, Crapton are all famous for having other musicians play the album cuts.

Even all your favorite live albums were overdubbed in the studio

Those Led Zep live cuts sound amazing, until you hear the actual live performances on the bootlegs. Sloppy performances and Robert Plant can't sing live at all - he just croaked along like a frog (saw LZ twice, both times Plant was terrible)

#4256 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

-
    -

Actually, is sounds like all of this music could fall under the category of Boomer Music.

Quoted from vid1900:

KISS, Aerosmith, Crapton are all famous for having other musicians play the album cuts.

Don't forget The Beach Boys and The Wrecking Crew.

#4257 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Most of your favorite albums have professional musicians playing the recorded parts, then the band learns the songs for live performance
    Those Led Zep live cuts sound amazing, until you hear the actual live performances on the bootlegs. Sloppy performances and Robert Plant can't sing live at all - he just croaked along like a frog (saw LZ twice, both times Plant was terrible)

This is something I have never heard before. Not saying you are wrong or that I even disagree, just that I have never heard it before.
    So, are you saying that on the albums it isnt the actual band playing or the frontman singing?

#4258 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

This is something I have never heard before. Not saying you are wrong or that I even disagree, just that I have never heard it before.
    So, are you saying that on the albums it isnt the actual band playing or the frontman singing?

Correct.

Often, uncredited musicians play on the album cuts.

Like Aerosmith's funky bassline on "walk this way".

Or Dick Wagner playing lead guitar instead of Ace on KISS' Destroyer

Or Jimmy Page actually playing the guitar The Who's "Cant Explain" (producer thought Pete could not handle it).

Or Front242 claimed that they **electronically manipulated** Jean-Luc DeMeyer's vocals on songs like "Animal", but it was actually a totally different singer, Kristin Kowalski

It can go the other way too. If you ever saw Ozzy live, there is a chance that it was actually another singer (like Robert Mason) and Ozzy only doing the crowd work.

Rock music is big business. The record companies are not going to risk their investment on flaky musicians.

Sometimes they don't even tell the musicians that their original tracks have been replaced by superior players. They find out years latter...

#4259 2 years ago

Ehhhhhhh, I would have to assume that while this subterfuge might be more common than we might guess, I can't buy it being the case on "most of my favorite albums"!

#4260 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I can't buy it being the case on "most of my favorite albums"!

You know you are old when.....you cant bear the thought that your most favorite albums are sung by other performers
    71jA3MLDSxL._SL1000_ (resized).jpg71jA3MLDSxL._SL1000_ (resized).jpg61AR1G8WSJL (resized).jpg61AR1G8WSJL (resized).jpgR-15040951-1596619005-2120 (resized).jpgR-15040951-1596619005-2120 (resized).jpg

#4261 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

There is a movie called The Wrecking Crew. Phil Spector was in charge. And had all of these studio musicians on the payroll. You can find all kinds of snipits on youtube.

Basically, it is like this: The band is out on the road making a living. The studio musicians are at home in the studio writing and arranging songs for the radio. The studio musicians, this is all that they do. They are tight. They know the music since they wrote it. Al Jardine, of the Beach Boys, said it worked better for the studio musicians to make the recordings since it could be done in one take. And the band boys sang the microphone.

The Beach Boys Brian Wilson worked with The Wrecking Crew. Wilson was the arranger and TWC played what he wrote.

If you watch the movie, you will find that most of the top 40 music you listened to on AM radio in the 60s was played by The Wrecking Crew. They played for Sonny and Cher, Nancy Sinatra, and anyone else to can remember. Herb Alpert, Glen Campbell, and Leon Russell were part of The Wrecking Crew.

https://play.google.com/store/movies/details?id=zwiTas70pAo&gl=US&utm_source=na_Med&utm_medium=hasem&utm_campaign=MoviesPLA&pcampaignid=MKT-DR-na-us-all-Med-pla-mo-Evergreen-Dec1115-1-movieslibrary&gclid=CjwKCAiA9tyQBhAIEiwA6tdCrHKRKJ-8oMfSEMItkFpnbl0nfU4FsGv0clThDWwm8JbragCt2tpSSxoCOSoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And then there was Motown. It was the same musicians that played on all the Motown songs. The Supremes/ Motown Musicans. Martha Reeves/Motown musicians. Stevie Wonder, Smoky Robinson, The Four Tops, The Temptations, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=standing+in+the+shadows+of+motown

Quoted from vid1900:

Correct.
    Often, uncredited musicians play on the album cuts.
    Like Aerosmith's funky bassline on "walk this way".
    Or Dick Wagner playing lead guitar instead of Ace on KISS' Destroyer
    Or Jimmy Page actually playing the guitar The Who's "Cant Explain" (producer thought Pete could not handle it).
    Or Front242 claimed that they **electronically manipulated** Jean-Luc DeMeyer's vocals on songs like "Animal", but it was actually a totally different singer, Kristin Kowalski
    It can go the other way too. If you ever saw Ozzy live, there is a chance that it was actually another singer (like Robert Mason) and Ozzy only doing the crowd work.
    Rock music is big business. The record companies are not going to risk their investment on flaky musicians.
    Sometimes they don't even tell the musicians that their original tracks have been replaced by superior players. They find out years latter...

#4262 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Ehhhhhhh, I would have to assume that while this subterfuge might be more common than we might guess, I can't buy it being the case on "most of my favorite albums"!

Find out who played the guitar licks on "While my guitar gently weeps" on The Beatles White Album.

#4263 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Find out who played the guitar licks on "While my guitar gently weeps" on The Beatles White Album.

I don't doubt that it happens, but "on most of my favorite albums" is ludicrous hyperbole.

#4264 2 years ago

That’s disappointing. All those people who I loved to listen to and payed to see were faking it.

#4265 2 years ago

Please tell me that Sammy, The Eagles and Aerosmith were real.

#4266 2 years ago

You know you're old when all of your favorite albums you grew up with have been remastered (some more than a decade ago).

#4267 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

You don't have to believe everything you read.

I don't.

#4268 2 years ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

You don't have to believe everything you read.
    I don't.

Neither do I but since I have never heard this before and have no idea if the man is right or wrong I’m not going to argue with him. It is an interesting piece of info and worth looking into. Vid does not have a reputation for giving wrong information.

#4270 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

That’s disappointing. All those people who I loved to listen to and payed to see were faking it.

It's nothing to be disappointed about.

Music is entertainment.

Are you disappointed that your favorite line in Toy Story is actually voiced by Tom Hanks brother Jim Hanks? Of course not.

Are you disappointed that all the close up shots of Julia Robbert's legs, feet and hands in Pretty Woman are actually Shelly Michelle? That even the iconic movie poster is actually Shelly with Julia's head glopped onto it? Of course not.

Are you disappointed that all the stars that say on the talk shows "We had a grueling 6 month of martial arts training, in order to make this film!" actually have a team of acrobats that perform the fights and stunts? Of course not.

Are you disappointed that Tom Cruse is always standing on an apple box whenever he is filmed with his co-stars in the same shot? Of course not.

Are you disappointed that no actual photo of Robert Johnson exists, so it's just a random black guy with a guitar on his albums. Of course not.

Are you disappointed that Michelangelo would only paint the faces or other important parts, and the rest of the frescos were painted by his assistants? Of course not.

If you are entertained, then the producers earned their paycheck.

Screenshot 2022-02-24 at 13-19-43 Scully Box - TV Tropes (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-02-24 at 13-19-43 Scully Box - TV Tropes (resized).png

#4271 2 years ago

Not at all and I knew all this. I also knew that many bands used studio musicians at different times for different reasons. I might lose some respect for, say Sammy Hagar who I respect as a person as much as a musician if I found out he was doing the Whitesnake thing on stage. I would still enjoy the music though.

It’s like finding out your Harley was made in China

#4272 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

It’s like finding out your Harley was made in China

I had a mid 70s Harley that was made in Italy.

DSC0263-unclipped (resized).jpgDSC0263-unclipped (resized).jpg
    #4273 2 years ago

During the recording of Destroyer, Ace Frehley didn't even show up some days. Or he'd be getting wasted in the lobby and come back to the studio and ask the session guy "How did I sound?" and they'd laugh and tell him he sounded fuckin' great.

I knew they touched up KISS Alive big time in the studio too.

Some bands recorded shit so fast they didnt have time for studio guys. Van Halen recorded their second album in 3 weeks, and I think the first one was done in half that.

#4274 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

During the recording of Destroyer, Ace Frehley didn't even show up some days. Or he'd be getting wasted in the lobby and come back to the studio and ask the session guy "How did I sound?" and they'd laugh and tell him he sounded fuckin' great.
    I knew they touched up KISS Alive big time in the studio too.
    Some bands recorded shit so fast they didnt have time for studio guys. Van Halen recorded their second album in 3 weeks, and I think the first one was done in half that.

I thought that was later, like in the Dynasty days.

#4275 2 years ago

On the early albums, Ace would lay down some scratch bass tracks as they worked.

Latter Gene would come in, listen to the track and decide it was good enough; not even bothering to re-record it himself.

#4276 2 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

I thought that was later, like in the Dynasty days.

Nope, it was early. That cool harmony lead on "Detroit Rock City?" Not Ace.

#4277 2 years ago

That song made a goofy kid back then feel powerful.

#4278 2 years ago

My new stihl hats!
    I really want a vest but very pricey. Quality made Chainsaw fashion

20220226_104953 (resized).jpg20220226_104953 (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #4279 2 years ago

New toy..no chance

20220306_122700 (resized).jpg20220306_122700 (resized).jpg
    #4280 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

New toy..no chance [quoted image]

Yep; I have seen that all too often in my house too!

#4281 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Saw Plant and Page the no quarter Tour. Plant was pretty good 20 years ago..he nailed all the Zep songs Vid.

#4282 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Lol! Our Lab loves the squeakers, she tears the toy apart and runs around squeaking until she breaks it. Then just lays there staring at it until I throw it out. No care for the toy at all!

#4283 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

Lol! Our Lab loves the squeakers, she tears the toy apart and runs around squeaking until she breaks it. Then just lays there staring at it until I throw it out. No care for the toy at all!

Same for my GF's Pomeranian. Loves the squeakers and rips the toys to pieces to get them. I am finding out that dog chew toys are not cheap

#4284 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I am finding out that dog chew toys are not cheap

Wait until surgery for the squeaker because you didn't get it before they swallowed it.

Then you'll know all about cheap.

LTG : )

#4285 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

These are pretty tough. My daughter's dog loves them.

#4286 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Wait until surgery for the squeaker because you didn't get it before they swallowed it.

We watch her with them. The toy only lasts 5 minutes. The squeaker gets thrown out about 5 minutes after it stops working. She normally plays with dollar store tennis balls. Even they don’t last long! Lol

#4287 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Same for my GF's Pomeranian. Loves the squeakers and rips the toys to pieces to get them. I am finding out that dog chew toys are not cheap

Dollar store has lots of inexpensive toys. The best squeaking toys are the hard rubber ones. The football ones last most of the day. If you step on them a few times they work well.

#4288 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Musical dog farts are the first warning sign.

#4289 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Saw Plant and Page the no quarter Tour. Plant was pretty good 20 years ago..he nailed all the Zep songs Vid.

Yeah, I saw that tour too.

As I remember it, a lot of ballads and even was playing songs by The Doors

#4290 2 years ago

You can get a whole box of just the squeakers for $3 on Alibaba

517F6G0jxnL._AC_SY580_ (resized).jpg517F6G0jxnL._AC_SY580_ (resized).jpg
    #4291 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Yeah, I saw that tour too.
    As I remember it, a lot of ballads and even was playing songs by The Doors

Very toned down tour with all the different percussion. Better than my sane brother in law (a drummer) and I thought would be..how stupid of us thinking the concert would be half ass

#4292 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Very toned down tour with all the different percussion. Better than my sane brother in law (a drummer) and I thought would be..how stupid of us thinking the concert would be half ass

Best live Led Zep show is Train.

No overdubs, straight cell phone video - better than any time I saw Zep in the 70s

#4293 2 years ago

You can rap all you want or talk poetry but no instrument your just an entertainer like Bobo the Clown. Then I see entertainers playing 2 chords and I want to barf

#4294 2 years ago

How many chords should they be playing?

#4295 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

One is enough. More is luxurious.

For example:

Aretha Franklin - "Chain of Fools" (1967) ...
    Yo La Tengo - "Ohm" (2013) ...
    Harry Nilsson - "Coconut" (1971) ...
    Bonnie 'Prince' Billy - "Madeleine-Mary" (1999) ...
    Creedence Clearwater Revival - "Run Through the Jungle" (1970) ...
    The Beatles - "Tomorrow Never Knows" (1966)

#4296 2 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I drove thru our local college town yesterday; it must be orientation as all the optimistic new students were walking around campus with their parents. I must not know how to "age" people any more as most of the students looked like they should be in Middle Grade School vs. college.
    I remember back to thinking when 30 was old.
    To me age is a state of mind -- I usually don't think about it but every now and again I get reminders that I'm not the young buck anymore.
    A couple more off the top of my head -- You know you are old when:
    You make noise when you sit down (or stand up).
    Your kids can fix all your IT issues.
    You can afford to buy a pinball machine!
    Anyone else have any more to add?

agree except for the pinball part. ive owned games since i was 12, started working at age 10 or so. some of us started early. had 4 machines by age 15. i paid for them with my own money. Many youth these days are similar esp with e commerce. Times have changed.

#4297 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

More than 2

#4298 2 years ago

For example:
    the mentioned musicians capable of playing more than 2 chords

#4299 2 years ago
    Quoted from galore2112:

For example:

True enough but the musicians listed are capable of more than 2 chords

#4300 2 years ago

Is this old timers morning donut shop talk? Is this what we have become?

There are 7,615 posts in this topic. You are on page 86 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/86?hl=damoib and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.