Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,781 posts
  • 367 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 43 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9606 (resized).jpg
    45085F4D-0F83-4D85-97B3-A5D79C8FADBB (resized).jpg
    sd (resized).jpg
    bourbon+with+smoking+cigar (resized).jpg
    a314a0fa1119a6fa897cca07100cbbae (resized).jpg
    44467834_2099513673413237_6600026868819165184_n (resized).jpg
    91eaebd2bf76d2b506702666bcbd0132 (resized).jpg
    20220524_113739 (resized).jpg
    20220524_154046 (resized).jpg
    20220524_154106 (resized).jpg
    e4761dc0-d9ef-11ec-83ef-ec3b680b6685 (resized).jpeg
    D71FE7A9-40CF-4C2D-AEB2-938D5A00F9DB (resized).jpeg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-19 at 8.03.22 PM (resized).jpg
    IMG_9802 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9801 (resized).jpg
    Jiffy 2 (resized).jpeg

There are 4,781 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 96.
    #4201 4 months ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

He was a bonafide member of the communist party.

Ed Asner and Will Geer too.
    I'm sure there are many others.

#4202 4 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When one of your musical heroes hits 80 and decides its time to cash in.

Among other reasons, his taxes on such a sale are about to go up significantly. Lots of artists are doing it. I was surprised how cheap ZZ Top sold theirs for. They've got lots of good songs...

https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/features/famous-musicians-selling-catalog-music-rights-1114580/

#4203 4 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

Among other reasons, his taxes on such a sale are about to go up significantly. Lots of artists are doing it. I was surprised how cheap ZZ Top sold theirs for. They've got lots of good songs...
    https://www.rollingstone.com/pro/features/famous-musicians-selling-catalog-music-rights-1114580/

Interesting article. Thank you.

#4204 4 months ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

He was a bonafide member of the communist party.

And what party do you belong to? “Nobody’s damned business” is the right answer.

#4205 3 months ago

Readers digest;
    A slightly overweight man with a dog approaches me..he says; my dog has to crap,excuse me maam.
    The strangers dog plops a load in front of me my silver cane shivers..who is this man?

#4206 3 months ago

YKYAO when you see an elderly neighbor you’ve known for 10+ years walking her dog, and suddenly you can’t remember her name.

#4208 3 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

A new acronym !

i thought maybe some old timer was having a seizure at his keyboard.

#4209 3 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

A new acronym !

What, pronounced "yakyow"? I doubt it will catch on.

#4210 3 months ago

Wisdom for the ages!

SOME THINGS TO PONDER AS WE AGE

The inventor of the treadmill died at the age of 54

The inventor of gymnastics died at the age of 57

The world bodybuilding champion died at the age of 41

The best soccer player in the world, Maradona, died at the age of 60

And then..

KFC inventor died at 94

The inventor of the Nutella brand died at the age of 88

Cigarette maker Winston died at the age of 102

The inventor of opium died at the age of 116 - in an earthquake

Hennessy cognac, Irish inventor, died at 98

How did doctors come to the conclusion that exercise prolongs life?

The rabbit is always jumping, but it lives for only 2 years. The turtle that doesn't exercise at all, lives 400 years.

So …Have a drink ...Take a nap ...

And when you wake up, have bacon and eggs! (or a Natty Light)

#4211 3 months ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Wisdom for the ages!
    SOME THINGS TO PONDER AS WE AGE
    The inventor of the treadmill died at the age of 54
    The inventor of gymnastics died at the age of 57
    The world bodybuilding champion died at the age of 41
    The best soccer player in the world, Maradona, died at the age of 60
    And then..
    KFC inventor died at 94
    The inventor of the Nutella brand died at the age of 88
    Cigarette maker Winston died at the age of 102
    Hennessy cognac, Irish inventor, died at 98
    How did doctors come to the conclusion that exercise prolongs life?
    The rabbit is always jumping, but it lives for only 2 years. The turtle that doesn't exercise at all, lives 400 years.
    So …Have a drink ...Take a nap ...
    And when you wake up, have bacon and eggs! (or a Natty Light)

Saw a bumper sticker once. One of my all-time favorites; "Eat Well, Live Right.... And Die Anyway!

#4212 3 months ago
    B6B32AEBDE014D949F35C6C7C8153C93 (resized).jpg
    #4213 3 months ago

KFC inventor died at 94

Hey, chicken is good for you!

#4214 3 months ago

Opium has been around a loooong time. They know who "invented" it?

#4215 3 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I believe it was a fellow named Bill Opium.

I was equally curious about who invented gymnastics.

I suspect Edison was working on it but some other bloke got the patent first, so he invented the incandescent bulb instead.

#4216 3 months ago

And when you wake up, have bacon and eggs!

At age 70 I am only now paying more attention to what I eat. I have a severe cholesterol problem ( actually triglycerides---most people's triglycerides measure about 150; Mine come in around 1500. ). Crestor and the other drugs do not touch it. My only option is to change my diet to a no-carb diet. Actually, I need to stay below 50 carbs per day. A grapefruit contains 35 carbs and I love grapefruit. There is no sugar, no bread, no crackers, no pizza, etc. for me, anymore, as I move towards a modified Keto diet.

Quoted from jrpinball:

Hey, chicken is good for you!

And especially no KFC.
    ================

Now, I am eating like a chinaman. All vegetables. And meat. And eggs. I can have meat, with lots of fat, and eggs, and still keep the triglycerides under control. Or at least this is what I have been reading. I'll do my lab work this spring and see if there have been any changes.

#4217 3 months ago

Quoted from jrpinball:

Here is what I know about opium. And the opium wars between Britain and China.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/opium-trade/The-Opium-Wars

#4218 3 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Now, I am eating like a chinaman. All vegetables. And meat. And eggs. I can have meat, with lots of fat, and eggs, and still keep the triglycerides under control. Or at least this is what I have been reading. I'll do my lab work this spring and see if there have been any changes.

I remember watching a show. I think it might have been this Dr., but it was about this very strict diet study for patients with advanced heart disease. If you cheated even once, you were out with no second chances. It was very interesting and they seemed to be having great results with it. Might be worth some research...

https://www.pcrm.org/health-topics/heart-disease

#4219 3 months ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I read this in high school, and it was enough to convince me to never try opioids later in life.

https://gutenberg.org/files/2040/2040-h/2040-h.htm

#4220 3 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I read this in high school, and it was enough to convince me to never try opioids later in life.

Damn. My reading skills are getting rusty with too many pinside 2 sentence paragraphs.

Your link contains paragraphs that would fill an entire sheet of paper;Maybe 2 sheets of paper This is going to take awhile to get through.

#4221 3 months ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I remember watching a show. I think it might have been this Dr., but it was about this very strict diet study for patients with advanced heart disease. If you cheated even once, you were out with no second chances. It was very interesting and they seemed to be having great results with it. Might be worth some research...
    https://www.pcrm.org/health-topics/heart-disease

Thank you. Yes. My reading with regards to what I put in my body needs to improve. Your link says no meat, cheese, or eggs. And the low card diet says meat, cheese, and eggs are OK. I still have a lot to figure out.

#4222 3 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You know your gonna be older after you get done reading this!

#4223 3 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

At age 70 I am only now paying more attention to what I eat. I have a severe cholesterol problem ( actually triglycerides---most people's triglycerides measure about 150; Mine come in around 1500. ). Crestor and the other drugs do not touch it. My only option is to change my diet to a no-carb diet. Actually, I need to stay below 50 carbs per day. A grapefruit contains 35 carbs and I love grapefruit. There is no sugar, no bread, no crackers, no pizza, etc. for me, anymore, as I move towards a modified Keto diet.

And especially no KFC.
    ================

I too are concerned with cholesterol and blood sugar level. But I am a home cook that loves making pizza and other Italian favorites. I don't think our grandparents ever worried about what we do these days. I love to cook, and love to eat. But sadly I think a diet is in my future.
    Oh, and I picked up a piece of Italian Rum Cake from a well known North End Boston bakery for tonight.

#4224 3 months ago
    3201A08E06924A11B4D5969256FD60EA (resized).jpg
    #4225 3 months ago

b3a39c51f88e10088f95789ea14e5697ee11e14b (resized).jpg

Yes.

I regularly find myself cussing at the recorded "We are experiencing heavy call volume. You are so important to us. Please continue to hold. " messages. The recorded voice keeps chattering one and I am yelling into the phone, " Get me a representative, gd it." And I have discovered the recorded voices are starting to respond to profane tirades and send me to an agent post haste.

#4226 3 months ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I believe it was a fellow named Bill Opium.
    I was equally curious about who invented gymnastics.
    I suspect Edison was working on it but some other bloke got the patent first, so he invented the incandescent bulb instead.

Actually he stole it. He stole most of his stuff he is credited for inventing.

#4227 3 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Damn. My reading skills are getting rusty with too many pinside 2 sentence paragraphs.
    Your link contains paragraphs that would fill an entire sheet of paper;Maybe 2 sheets of paper This is going to take awhile to get through.

Don’t read it, I forgot how tedious his writing is. It’s like Truman Capote once said of Jack Kerouac’s books: “That’s not writing, that’s typewriting”.

#4228 3 months ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Actually he stole it. He stole most of his stuff he is credited for inventing.

He "stole" over 1000 patents worth of inventions, riiiiight.

https://interestingengineering.com/thomas-edison-visionary-inventor-or-villain#:~:text=Edison%20did%20not%20create%20everything,not%20a%20villain%20or%20thief.

#4229 3 months ago

Did a little research and found out that while Edison stole many patents and ideas from
    tesla the light bulb was not one of them.

#4230 3 months ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

Did a little research and found out that while Edison stole many patents and ideas from
    tesla the light bulb was not one of them.

Very little, apparently. Tell me, what are some of the "many" patents and ideas Edison stole from Tesla?

If anything, Edison blew it by not adopting Tesla's polyphase AC for power distribution, instead pushing his DC vision which would have required power stations within a mile of every customer and which could not be stepped up or down in voltage like AC can via transformers. He tried to discredit AC by calling it too dangerous, even electrocuting animals in public demonstrations with it! Thank goodness for George Westinghouse!

http://edison.rutgers.edu/tesla.htm
    https://ttkmeup.com/blog/2019/10/18/energy-wars-did-thomas-edison-steal-nikola-teslas-inventions

#4231 3 months ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Very little, apparently. Tell me, what are some of the "many" patents and ideas Edison stole from Tesla?
    If anything, Edison blew it by not adopting Tesla's polyphase AC for power distribution, instead pushing his DC vision which would have required power stations within a mile of every customer and which could not be stepped up or down in voltage like AC can via transformers. He tried to discredit AC by calling it too dangerous, even electrocuting animals in public demonstrations with it! Thank goodness for George Westinghouse!
    http://edison.rutgers.edu/tesla.htm
    https://ttkmeup.com/blog/2019/10/18/energy-wars-did-thomas-edison-steal-nikola-teslas-inventions

I know one of the early ideas he stole was the brushless armature for DC motors. He had told Tesla, who was brand new to America at the time, that he would pay Tesla a great deal of money if Tesla could come up with a better design. When Tesla presented Edison with the brushless armature, Edition told him that the deal had been a joke and refused to pay Tesla anything. Of course that didn't stop Edison from promptly filing a patent for the design. Tesla was so outraged over this, he refused to work on anymore designs for Edison and instead worked as a lineman until he started his own lab.

Considering how Edison would cheat a young immigrant and later go on to outright slander opposing technology, I don't think it's a stretch to suspect that most of his ideas were stolen/bullied from other people. If nobody speaks up he looks like a genius, but it is a little weird when the "genius" doesn't seem to even understand the theory behind half of his inventions.

A blind squirrel can find a nut every so often, but when that same blind squirrel has a massive hoard something else is going on.

#4232 3 months ago

That's as may be, but employers take credit for employees' innovations all the time.

At any rate, that one incident is hardly proof that

Quoted from zr11990:

Edison stole many patents and ideas from tesla

which was the assertion I had trouble with. That is just a popular myth. In the real world, all inventors are mostly simply trying to improve existing ideas. Edison was indeed a genius, if any inventor ever was.

#4233 3 months ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

That's as may be, but employers take credit for employees' innovations all the time.
    At any rate, that one incident is hardly proof that

which was the assertion I had trouble with. That is just a popular myth. In the real world, all inventors are mostly simply trying to improve existing ideas. Edison was indeed a genius, if any inventor ever was.

I always got the impression that Tesla was on the spectrum and this was a story that got kind of warped over the years. According to Tesla's autobiography (quoted in the wikipedia article about the guy), it was a manager at Edison Machine Works who offered $50k (~$1.4 million in today's money) for 24 different versions of the motor, and that he didn't realize at the time it was a joke. It got attributed to Edison himself (and made a lot meaner) in the various retellings of the story.

The vibe I always got from Edison is that he was probably a businessman in the vein of Elon Musk. He was probably hands on, and did contribute, to some of the early inventions that he gets credited for, but as his career went on, his job was more to recognize and fund people who developed things under him, but by being the face of the company, he got the credit for a lot of the inventions, something he probably encouraged. He probably doesn't deserve a lot of the deification he got over the years, but he probably doesn't deserve a lot of the hate he's gotten in recent years, either.

He did back the wrong horse with AC vs DC, but that isn't all that uncommon with new technologies and hindsight is 20/20.

#4234 3 months ago

Checking in.

1 week later
    #4235 3 months ago

You know you’re old when you go to the music section of Target and they have vinyl, but no CDs. WTF, is this 1978?

#4236 3 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You know you’re old when you go to the music section of Target and they have vinyl, but no CDs. WTF, is this 1978?

Yep.

When you've been around long enough to see what "was" become what "is" again.

Not always mainstream, but there are plenty of new cars designed to look like old cars and modern vintage fashion trends.

You could say my hairstyle is reminiscent of the 70's (just don't call me a hippie )

I hear they are even making new old pinball machines now in the form of Fathom and others.

Maybe a better term for these sorts of things is "timeless."

#4237 3 months ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

When you've been around long enough to see what "was" become what "is" again.

1960s girls hair. Long and straight.

Unknown (resized).jpeg
    images (resized).jpeg

1970s. Let's all wear Afros.

Unknown-1 (resized).jpeg

69bb6f74025d994ef9c2879a83a20b1f2c-bebe-le-strange-front.2x.rsquare.w570 (resized).jpg

2022. And we are straight hair, again.

images-3 (resized).jpeg

and one I hope to never see again: Mens' suits with 4" wide lapels. And those "fat" neckties.

See-Johnny-Carsons-line-of-polyester-suits-that-were-big-sellers-in-the-70s-770x462 (resized).jpg

#4238 3 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

and one I hope to never see again: Mens' suits with 4" wide lapels. And those "fat" neckties.

I always liked the 70's button down shirts that have the larger collar points. I still own several of them. But I can deal without the fat neck tie.

Sadly, I hear the fanny pack is once again a "modern" trend.

#4239 3 months ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I always liked the 70's button down shirts that have the larger collar points. I still own several of them. But I can deal without the fat neck tie.
    Sadly, I hear the fanny pack is once again a "modern" trend.

I'm sure bell bottom's will come back too!

#4240 3 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I'm sure bell bottom's will come back too!

Oh, take a look around when you are out and about and you'll see they already have. . . although they might be called "boot flare" or something more modern sounding. Platform shoes, mom jeans, sweater dresses -- they've all come back. Not sure about shoulder pads and acid wash though.

For the record, the only reason I have knowledge of such things is because Mrs. TractorDoc tends to follow it.

#4241 3 months ago

I WILL wear a leisure suit when I retire!

Quoted from cottonm4:1960s girls hair. Long and straight.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    1970s. Let's all wear Afros.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    2022. And we are straight hair, again.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

#4242 3 months ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

Hey, remember this guy?

LSLRBoxcard (resized).jpg
    #4243 3 months ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

I'm retired and wearing one now Retirement is fun

If it takes a leisure suit to make that happen, then viva la leisure suit

But when I start putting one foot in the grave, I'll yank the leisure suit off and go back to work

#4244 3 months ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Hey, remember this guy?[quoted image]

Leisure Suit Larry.

And

Minesweeper

minesweeper_bad_Game2 (resized).png

#4245 3 months ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Sadly, I hear the fanny pack is once again a "modern" trend

Never understood the hate for a fanny pack.

So much better than a backpack pulling at your shoulders and giving you a sweaty back when riding a bike.

They can also hold a 6 pack.

#4246 3 months ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Backpack can hold more!!

#4247 3 months ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Never understood the hate for a fanny pack.
    So much better than a backpack pulling at your shoulders and giving you a sweaty back when riding a bike.

With no fanny pack, this is what your billfold looks like. I wish I could tell you it is full of Jacksons but it is just bursting at the seams with credit cards and everybody's business card.

IMG_9047 (resized).JPG

#4248 3 months ago

I sure hope silk shirts never come back.

E8096F73-6A97-47E9-98FF-25EC161D6BB5 (resized).jpeg
    #4249 3 months ago

You know you're old when:

You introduce yourself with a nickname that has "Crazy" or "Psycho" in it

#4250 3 months ago
    youth (resized).jpg
    There are 4,781 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 96.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!