Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,619 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    There are 7,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 153.
    #3801 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I also remember being in pre school saying to myself I'm going to stare at the finger paint cans and remember this image forever..I focused and stared for about a minute!...It actually worked and another time in a downtown coffee shop with my parents ..worked again when I was very young. 2 memories seared in my thoughts.

I've done the same thing - dad has owned a sailboat since we were very young, and when we'd go on vacation, I would lay at the very front, and look down into the water as the bow cut through it, dragging my hand in it and listening to the waves. I consciously remember wanting to remember that forever, and concentrating on it. Another time was in my early 20s getting ready for a night of hell raising - looked in the mirror - long hair, young, strong, feather earring, leather jacket - and I stood there and burned that image in to remember when i was old (now).

About a year ago, the wife and I were talking, and I said to her "Our lives are going to be a lot different in 5 years - all 3 of our cats will be dead, probably one or more of our parents, the last of the kids will be gone, and I'll hopefully be retired." One of the furbabies, our favorite, passed away a few months ago from kidney failure.

Change is coming.

#3802 2 years ago

I’ve already passed all of those milestones except that I still have one adult child at homes.

#3803 2 years ago

Is anyone else “sleep divorced”? My wife and I are coming up on our 25th anniversary next week, but we got a sleep divorce about 12 years ago. We both have sleep apnea, but mine is treated with a CPAP. I’ve been trying for years to get her to a sleep study, but she won’t do it. So she saws logs every night, loud and proud. But it’s okay since she’s sleeping on the other side of the house.

I highly recommend the sleep divorce if you the extra room.

#3804 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Is anyone else “sleep divorced”? My wife and I are coming up on our 25th anniversary next week, but we got a sleep divorce about 12 years ago. We both have sleep apnea, but mine is treated with a CPAP. I’ve been trying for years to get her to a sleep study, but she won’t do it. So she saws logs every night, loud and proud. But it’s okay since she’s sleeping on the other side of the house.

Celebrated our 40th anniversary two weeks ago. Sleep divorced for about half of them.

#3805 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Quoted from DennisDodel:

Celebrated our 40th anniversary two weeks ago. Sleep divorced for about half of them.

Yep. There come a point in time where sleeping all tangled up as two pretzels doesn't work anymore. Give me my space.

#3806 2 years ago

When your favorite thread on pinside is the Favorite childhood toys and youthful memories thread.

#3807 2 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

My wife and I like listening to free audio books on tablet when we go to bed . Swiss family Robinson our current sleep book.

#3808 2 years ago

I got real used to having my own room for the five years between marriages. Didn’t want to give it up.

Besides, I have restless leg and thrash about in bed a lot. She says I snore, too.

It’s been 20 years. I can’t imagine sharing a bedroom again .

#3809 2 years ago

I let her have the master bed & bath when we moved to a nicer house. Cause my needs are simple and I love her. Now it’s all pink and girly. Good for a few hours… if ya know what I mean…

#3810 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

I let her have the master bed & bath when we moved to a nicer house. Cause my needs are simple and I love her. Now it’s all pink and girly. Good for a few hours… if ya know what I mean…

LOL
    When I first got married, I thought this is going to be great. Chica-chica-boom-boom every night from now on. HA!!! Sadly mistaken!!!!!!!!!!

#3811 2 years ago

Confucious say;
    Man who lose key to wife door get no new key.

#3812 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Confucious say;
    Man who lose key to wife door get no new key.

Hah. No nookie!

#3814 2 years ago

I got half right.

#3815 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Good for a few hours… if ya know what I mean…

Braggart!

#3816 2 years ago

When you think about what it would be like to be one of the youngest guys in a 55+ community.

#3817 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

When you think about what it would be like to be one of the youngest guys in a 55+ community.

Don't. What ever you do don't. Every time they need something heavy moved. They get the "kid" ( you ).

LTG : )

#3818 2 years ago

Another rocker down.

Graeme Edge, Drummer and Co-Founder of the Moody Blues, Dies at 80

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/12/arts/music/graeme-edge-dead.html

He was only 10 years older than me.

#3819 2 years ago

Awwwwww

#3820 2 years ago

This is how old guys play Nintendo! Great for tablet movies too

07D9313C-6B4A-47D7-B1C8-DE55A46902B3 (resized).jpeg07D9313C-6B4A-47D7-B1C8-DE55A46902B3 (resized).jpegDE58A67C-7D2A-4EC8-BE5B-31C0CE09B01B (resized).jpegDE58A67C-7D2A-4EC8-BE5B-31C0CE09B01B (resized).jpeg
    #3821 2 years ago

You know you are old when you see a school bus, and you remember when you were young, and going to school, there was no school buses, they had not been invented yet.

And we had to walk to school, sometimes in 4 feet of snow, and it was a 5 mile walk, and it was uphill both ways.

No wonder kids are so smart today, and invent things like the eye phone, and flat screen TV's.

If my generation had of been able to ride a nice warm school bus when we were in school, we could have been able to get a lot more done also.

#3822 2 years ago

You know you are old when you keep coming back to this thread to see how your fellow old timers are doing.

#3823 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

You know you are old when you keep coming back to this thread to see how your fellow old timers are doing.

I actually go here to feel young.

#3824 2 years ago
    Quoted from mtn-:

I actually go here to feel young.

Just for you.

#3825 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

And we had to walk to school, sometimes in 4 feet of snow, and it was a 5 mile walk, and it was uphill both ways.

At least you weren't barefoot?

#3826 2 years ago

Checking in
    Lloyd check in?

#3827 2 years ago

So we know each other is still alive

#3828 2 years ago

The beer store and my cars/house insurance agent joined forces..I believe for humanitarian purposes. Just heard it on the radio. That’s nice.

#3829 2 years ago

I'm not in the obits yet.

LTG : )

#3830 2 years ago

I dated younger women for about a decade before I met my wife, who’s 4 years older than me. One of the things I liked about her was that she knew all my cultural references. No “who is Jimi Hendrix?” or any of that nonsense. But the big payoff is coming in 2025, when she gets Medicare.

#3831 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

But the big payoff is coming in 2025, when she gets Medicare.

LMAO !

Amazing how we, as young bucks, did not mind if she did not know how to cook. She could stay home all day while we were getting yelled at by the boss. Basically, she could commit murder and it was alright as long as we got what we thought we wanted; Every day.

And then one day, a switch gets flipped and we find it is nice if she has a job, and a full bank account, and her own insurance. And what mattered to our younger adolescent selves has slowly drifted to the bottom of the pile with regards to the attributes we think we want in a female
    =============================

I never was so glad to have the next birthday as the one that made me 65. No more Obamacare, which is anything but affordable---if you have to use it.

But don't forget, she will also need to to buy her own Part C insurance. Some health care providers will serve you only reluctantly if all you have is Part A and Part B. The real big plus is the Obamacare annual deductible ( $220.00 per month premiums plus around $7500.00 annual deductible before insurance kicks in a dime ) is now a Part B deductible of around $180.00 per year. Between Part B and Part C, your annual deductible is around $400.00 per year and then Medicare takes care of everything else.

One other benefit she will get at age 65 is that 85% of her social security check is not taxable and she can make around $36K per year with SS and pensions and not pay Federal Income Tax. I have not run the numbers other than in my head but $36K non-taxed is sort of like making $50K per year and paying tax.

Getting old does come with some benefits.

#3832 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

One other benefit she will get at age 65 is that 85% of her social security check is not taxable and she can make around $36K per year with SS and pensions and not pay Federal Income Tax

She only worked about 12 years, and never made more than 30k, so I think her SS check would be pretty small. I need to look into whether her SS and mine are independent. I was planning to wait until I turn 70 to start collecting mine.

If I retire by 61-62, I’ll need to get an ACA plan for myself for a few years. What did people do before ACA? Was it possible to get insurance at age 62 with lots of pre-existing conditions?

#3833 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

She only worked about 12 years, and never made more than 30k, so I think her SS check would be pretty small. I need to look into whether her SS and mine are independent. I was planning to wait until I turn 70 to start collecting mine.

Start inquiring with the SS dept. now. She may be able to use your SS as a means to get more monthly money. My GF worked for the school system asa para with average hourly wages. Her Ex made the the big bucks so she is able to get more per month piggy backing of of his SS. If he dies, she will the the equivalent to his monthly SS check. The only kicker is she cannot remarry.

Advisory: If you have a local SS office that you can visit, you will get treated much nicer and with some respect if you have your paper work in order and can ask the intelligent questions. When I had to visit the SS office, most of the people in line barely made it into high school and the SS people were having to figure out everything for them. Go in prepared and you will be greeted with smiles.

Also, suspending your SS until your are 70 will give you a larger monthly check. I was laid off at 61.5 and had no choice but to start drawing at 62. I loved my job and would have gladly stayed until 66 for that larger monthly check. But if you hate your job.............

Drawing at 62 vs 66 was about a $500.00 per month difference for me. So, pulling magic numbers here, if I retire at 62 and can draw $1000.00 per month/ $12K per year, in 4 years time I would have taken out $48,000.00. However, if I wait until 66 for full retirement, my check would $1500.00 per month/ $18K per year. That $500.00 per month divided into the $48K I have already drawn equals 96 months of monthly checks to recover the $48K I drew in those 4 years.

In my case, with my numbers, if I die before I am 86 years then I will have drawn more from SS than if I had waited until I was 66. So, playing my own actuary, I figured I will not live to see 86 and happily applied to retire at 62.

Of course, going out at 62 means I gave up 4 years of wages. And if you love your job, stay with it. If you absolutely hate what you do for a living and can swing it by retiring at 62, go for it. I have been having a blast.

Pinball machines became a retirement hobby. Had I not been laid off, I would have not to had the time to go chasing these pins I have.

#3834 2 years ago

This is what you do when you get old.

I can buy 1 lb. of russet potatoes for 68 cents per pound. So a 1/2 lb. of russet potato costs 34 cents.

IMG_8343 (resized).JPGIMG_8343 (resized).JPG

However, for those who are convenience minded, they can buy a 1/2 lb. russet potato for 88 cents.

IMG_8344 (resized).JPGIMG_8344 (resized).JPG

and , oh my, for the extra 54 cents I get a potato wrapped in shrink plastic. It is microwave ready; It was been double-washed, cooks in the wrapper in 6-8 minutes.

Of course, I will wash my 34 cent unwrapped potato, toss it in the microwave for 6-8 minutes, and pocket the difference.

And Walmart sells a lot of these shrink wrapped potatoes. Along with $3.50 for a gallon of iced tea.

Walmart does not like old farts like me who see thru the hype.

IMG_8345 (resized).JPGIMG_8345 (resized).JPG

#3835 2 years ago

This site has a great explanation, and a basic calculator at the bottom:

https://www.thebalance.com/social-security-for-married-couples-2389042

I guess the smartest thing would be to start drawing from SS at 62, and invest it in something really safe. Then I don’t have to worry as much about SS running out of money.

#3836 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

This site has a great explanation, and a basic calculator at the bottom:
    https://www.thebalance.com/social-security-for-married-couples-2389042
    I guess the smartest thing would be to start drawing from SS at 62, and invest it in something really safe. Then I don’t have to worry as much about SS running out of money.

Only you can run the numbers to see what works for you. To start drawing at 62, you will lose employer paid insurance and then you are looking at Obamacare for 3 years.

#3837 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

This is what you do when you get old.
    I can buy 1 lb. of russet potatoes for 68 cents per pound. So a 1/2 lb. of russet potato costs 34 cents.
    [quoted image]
    However, for those who are convenience minded, they can buy a 1/2 lb. russet potato for 88 cents.
    [quoted image]
    and , oh my, for the extra 54 cents I get a potato wrapped in shrink plastic. It is microwave ready; It was been double-washed, cooks in the wrapper in 6-8 minutes.
    Of course, I will wash my 34 cent unwrapped potato, toss it in the microwave for 6-8 minutes, and pocket the difference.
    And Walmart sells a lot of these shrink wrapped potatoes. Along with $3.50 for a gallon of iced tea.
    Walmart does not like old farts like me who see thru the hype.
    [quoted image]

I like potatoes, too.

#3838 2 years ago

You can also buy labor saving frozen toast, which (go figure) has to be heated up.

And hard boiled eggs. Between the eggs and ice tea, it sounds like there is a market of folks who cannot boil water. Using a toaster is so complicated, too.

#3839 2 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

You can also buy labor saving frozen toast, which (go figure) has to be heated up.
    And hard boiled eggs. Between the eggs and ice tea, it sounds like there is a market of folks who cannot boil water. Using a toaster is so complicated, too.

I think I had mentioned this a while ago, but the one I still don't get is the pre-cooked, microwaveable bacon. Good golly, it's so darn easy to cook regular bacon in the microwave. I can't believe people see that and say, "Hey; great idea!"

Quoted from cottonm4:

[quoted image]

Yeah, whenever I see these in the store I always laugh to myself...

#3840 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I dated younger women for about a decade before I met my wife, who’s 4 years older than me.

When I finally married (at age 30) I too married older -- by six or seven years. I figured women live longer than men anyway, right? She was also divorced from a guy that did not appreciate what he had. A divorced woman brings a lot to the relationship. . . low expectations, a car, a house, etc.

#3841 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Another rocker down.
    Graeme Edge, Drummer and Co-Founder of the Moody Blues, Dies at 80
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/12/arts/music/graeme-edge-dead.html
    He was only 10 years older than me.

My favorite band. RIP Graeme.

$5 in 1972 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $33.08 today.

img20211116_10055539 (resized).jpgimg20211116_10055539 (resized).jpg
    #3842 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

You know you are old when you see a school bus, and you remember when you were young, and going to school, there was no school buses, they had not been invented yet.

DAMNIT Johnny, I spit my tea all over my keyboard on that one!

#3843 2 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

A divorced woman brings a lot to the relationship. . . low expectations, a car, a house, etc.

And, as an afterthought, it is a bonus if her panties drop . But real sexy is that checkbook with a digit followed by lots of zeros

#3844 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

And, as an afterthought, it is a bonus if her panties drop . But real sexy is that checkbook with a digit followed by lots of zeros

No ..the real Sexy is Christy Mcnicol ..vintage hottie of Novemeber

#3845 2 years ago

Edit Had a few drinks poos

#3846 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

She's a lesbian, not that there's anything wrong with that.

#3847 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Kristy McNichols started my lifelong attraction to women who are not at all interested in men.

#3848 2 years ago
    Quoted from Scotty_K:

I think I had mentioned this a while ago, but the one I still don't get is the pre-cooked, microwaveable bacon. Good golly, it's so darn easy to cook regular bacon in the microwave. I can't believe people see that and say, "Hey; great idea!"

Gotta say, I was skeptical at first about the pre-cooked bacon, but now I think it's great. One serving; 30 seconds in the microwave with minimal grease to deal with. I wish they'd give you a little more though. Cooking bacon is a hassle, and the pre-cooked stuff is a great shortcut. Not quite as tasty as the stuff you fry up yourself, but it's more than passable. I get it for my dad who I make breakfast for each day. Either bacon or sausage every morning!

#3849 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Gotta say, I was skeptical at first about the pre-cooked bacon, but now I think it's great. One serving; 30 seconds in the microwave with minimal grease to deal with. I wish they'd give you a little more though. Cooking bacon is a hassle, and the pre-cooked stuff is a great shortcut. Not quite as tasty as the stuff you fry up yourself, but it's more than passable. I get it for my dad who I make breakfast for each day. Either bacon or sausage every morning!

Well, I guess then I'm glad someone is getting something out of it. For 30 seconds more for each strip, you can have the real thing.

#3850 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

She's a lesbian, not that there's anything wrong with that.

I believe she is quite wealthy, too.

There are 7,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/77?hl=ruralcollector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.