Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,609 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 hours ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    There are 7,609 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 153.
    #3701 2 years ago
    pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
    #3702 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Yeah, I know the early ones didn't have a 0-60mph acceleration time, because their top speed was like 57!

I had two friends who raced Bus and Beetles. The trick with the Bus was swapping out the gear-reduction rearend with a Beetle and building a 2180 engine (or doing a Corvair swap.)

You are right though, an early Owners Manual for the 25 and 36 HP Bus recommended it may be necessary to drive in reverse up hills( sounds crazy,but I read it).

#3703 2 years ago

Early Model T’s required you to drive up hills in reverse. There was no fuel pump and the fuel was gravity fed.

#3704 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Our 1st house was 12% Thanks Jimmy Carter!!

Or you could thank Nixon, for taking us off the gold standard

But yeah, that entire decade sucked pretty hard for the stock market and interest rates. I’m glad I was just a kid then.

#3705 2 years ago

Funny how your memory works ...I actually remember looking out at junior school window in the early 70's watching the city workers replace our mph signs with kmh. Signs.
    I also remember being in pre school saying to myself I'm going to stare at the finger paint cans and remember this image forever..I focused and stared for about a minute!...It actually worked and another time in a downtown coffee shop with my parents ..worked again when I was very young. 2 memories seared in my thoughts.

#3706 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I focused and stared for about a minute!...It actually worked

That’s cool, being intentional about your memories. When I was about 12, I somehow knew that was about as good as life would ever get. So, I made a long list of things I wanted to remember about that age when I was an adult. Sadly, it got lost along the way. The only one I remember is “rolling down a hill in an empty refrigerator box with Rebecca” (she was my neighbor).

#3707 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Funny how your memory works ...

Quoted from swampfire:

That’s cool, being intentional about your memories

I can't say that I was aware of myself enough to be intentional about memories in my early years.

There are definitely things I remember -- but usually more from crisis or embarrassment. Like the time my brother and I were out playing in the "yard" (we lived in a rural area without any real property lines) and we walked into a muddy area. He was probably four, I may have been around six years old. Pretty quick we were up to our knees in mud and found ourselves stuck. I managed to get out and ran back to the house to exclaim to my mom that little brother was in quick sand and sinking fast! She came out and managed to pull him out. . . the little boots that he had been wearing were never to be seen again!

I suppose in this day and age unless you are Amish parents don't let their kids out of their sight so they can't get into such troubles.

#3708 2 years ago

It’s crazy to think about this now, but when I was 8-10 my job was to burn the trash in the backyard. I don’t remember that my parents ever supervised me, they just said “make sure you take out any hairspray or deodorant cans first”.

#3709 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

It’s crazy to think about this now, but when I was 8-10 my job was to burn the trash in the backyard. I don’t remember that my parents ever supervised me, they just said “make sure you take out any hairspray or deodorant cans first”.

Boy... I remember trash burning.
    Everybody had an old 55gal drum
    out back by the garage and near the alley.
    It was a chore many of the boys in the
    neighborhood had to do after school.

#3710 2 years ago

I live north Ont. .just finished burning pizza boxes

But new homes are encroaching , my town used to be a cottage town . Not anymore.

#3711 2 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Everybody had an old 55gal drum
    out back by the garage

When we moved to the city, the 55 gallon drum was right next to the garage. I don't know how the old man kept from burning the garage down. Looking back ,I don't think he was very fire savvy.

Quoted from rollitover:

and near the alley.

Before we moved to the big city, our small town 55 gal. drum was by the alley. My mom set the fire and walked back to the house. I was 5 years old. My friend and I stayed to watch. There was paper trash that started flying out of the drum and landing on the ground. With enthusiastic glee, my friend and I started stopping on the burning papers. A piece of burning hot paper flew up and hit me on the forehead. I have feint remnants of a burn scar on my forehead; Fortunately, it is not very noticeable.

My mom was horrified. She knew she hosed up.

#3712 2 years ago
    7up1 (resized).jpg7up1 (resized).jpg
    #3713 2 years ago

I suppose it depends on what part of the country you are in, but when I was younger I remember being able to look up at a clear sky at night and see stars. I mean a lot of stars.

Now, I can still go outside and see stars -- I'm not saying they have gone away -- but the light pollution from human progress has definitely lessened the effect. Its not until I visit some of the less populated parts of the country that I'm reminded of that.

I think in the late 80's / early 90's we'd think it was a big deal if we saw the light of a satellite moving across the night sky. They sure are much more plentiful now!

Back then Pluto was still a planet. . . now the honor of last planet in our solar system falls to Uranus.

#3714 2 years ago

Just picked up a pair of Red Wing Heritage American-Made Moc-Toe 6 inch boots. Whew!
    Older people know these boots, some younger Hip Hop and Retro Steam-Punk types too.
    If you can get a pair of these things that fit you are hooked for life.
    Think Tennis-shoe comfortable with something that looks like a work boot.
    It took me WEEKS to reach that stage.
    Measured at 10 1/2. Too tight.
    The store doesn't carry many Heritage boots since they are semi-custom order now from shoe lasts dating back to the early 50's.
    So they got in 11 wide, 11 1/2 wide, 10 wide over the past few weeks.
    Too big, too wide, too tight.
    So the 10 1/2 wide was the last chance.
    They are perfect, breaking them in now.
    Made in Minnesota by hand by aging skilled Employees. They promote the younger Crew in the promotional material but if you study who is actually assembling these things its Girls and Guys that have been there a long time.
    If you want a pair of Made in America Red Wings I would suggest purchasing soon.
    Their Sister Brand Irish Setter Boots( made in Vietnam) are OUT OF EVERYTHING.
    These things feel so good, good things come to those who wait.
    Red Wings last many years with re-soleing and repair services currently available.
    Very well could be my last pair of boots.

#3715 2 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I suppose it depends on what part of the country you are in, but when I was younger I remember being able to look up at a clear sky at night and see stars. I mean a lot of stars.
    Now, I can still go outside and see stars -- I'm not saying they have gone away -- but the light pollution from human progress has definitely lessened the effect. Its not until I visit some of the less populated parts of the country that I'm reminded of that.
    I think in the late 80's / early 90's we'd think it was a big deal if we saw the light of a satellite moving across the night sky. They sure are much more plentiful now!
    Back then Pluto was still a planet. . . now the honor of last planet in our solar system falls to Uranus.

It's the same with lightning bugs. You have to go rural to find any at all in Missouri.

#3716 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

It's the same with lightning bugs. You have to go rural to find any at all in Missouri.

I have plenty of them here just north of NYC.

#3717 2 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Clearest night sky I have seen was when I was in Afghanistan. First real good look at the Milky Way. This is an internet picture, not one I took, but one of the Afghan Sky and yes it really looks like this - Outside of the major cities, almost no night pollution at all combined with the higher elevations and no cloud cover.

internet afgan sky (resized).jpginternet afgan sky (resized).jpg

#3718 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

Mosquito control kills them too unfortunately. I’ve seen 1 (last year) in ~20 years at my home.

#3719 2 years ago

Can tell nobody wants to talk Red Wings, its all good.

In my little patch of America we practice Dark Out.
    No outside lights. No Utility-provided pole lights.
    It's dark out here, I like it.
    20 miles from a light source from the nearest City.
    You can actually see better without artificial light if you are concerned about safety.
    When the moon is out my front yard is illuminated to a point nobody could sneak up.
    We all hate artificial lighting and enjoy DARK, a rare commodity.

#3720 2 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

Can tell nobody wants to talk Red Wings, its all good.

I've never owned any. There was a store west of me.

People in construction I've known swear by them.

LTG : )

#3721 2 years ago

That picture of the Milky Way reminds me that when I was younger, I used to get panic attacks thinking about the vastness of space, and realizing that it goes on forever in every direction. That thought doesn’t bother me now, for some reason. I’ll never get off of our little speck of cosmic dust, so whatever happens more than 100,000 miles away doesn’t really matter.

#3722 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

That picture of the Milky Way reminds me that when I was younger, I used to get panic attacks thinking about the vastness of space, and realizing that it goes on forever in every direction. That thought doesn’t bother me now, for some reason. I’ll never get off of our little speck of cosmic dust, so whatever happens more than 100,000 miles away doesn’t really matter.

I never want to get off of this spec of cosmic dust. I figure why bother to go to Mars when Nevada is so much closer and looks more inviting. And I don't have to wear an armored suit just to breathe.

pathfinder_sojourner (resized).jpgpathfinder_sojourner (resized).jpg

nevada-desert-valley-fire-state-park-usa-37118882 (resized).jpgnevada-desert-valley-fire-state-park-usa-37118882 (resized).jpg

#3723 2 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Nope, Neptune.

#3724 2 years ago

I stand corrected. My astronomy is a little weak.

I suppose I just wanted to say that something fell to Uranus.

#3725 2 years ago

You know you're old if you remember Tiny Tim getting married live on the Johnny Carson show!!

#3726 2 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

You know you're old if you remember Tiny Tim getting married live on the Johnny Carson show!!

Wasn't his bride "Miss Vicky"?

#3727 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Wasn't his bride "Miss Vicky"?

Yup
    They got married on December 17th, 1969

#3728 2 years ago

And spent their first night in separate hotel rooms.

#3729 2 years ago

You know you are old when you remember falling asleep in front of the TV and being awakened by the National Anthem.

#3730 2 years ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

You know you are old when you remember falling asleep in front of the TV and being awakened by the National Anthem.

At least it wasn't too late!!

#3731 2 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I stand corrected. My astronomy is a little weak.
    I suppose I just wanted to say that something fell to Uranus.

My own is so-so, but I do remember the mnemonic "My very energetic mother just served us nine pies."

Although with Pluto demoted, I now prefer my own version, "My very epicurean mother just served us naan."

#3732 2 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

My own is so-so, but I do remember the mnemonic "My very energetic mother just served us nine pies."
    Although with Pluto demoted, I now prefer my own version, "My very epicurean mother just served us naan."

VIVA LA PLOTO! F those 400 non planetary scientists who demoted it.

#3733 2 years ago

... you realize Danny Partridge is now collecting Social Security ...

dp2 (resized).jpgdp2 (resized).jpg
    #3734 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

[quoted image]

And Keith and Tracy Partridge are already dead.

#3735 2 years ago
    Quoted from DarthPaul:

Or the horrible test pattern tone

#3736 2 years ago

Yesterday’s Finley dog walk score!
    2 minty vintage motorcycle magazines in original shrink wrap (2011)
    Couple others in excellent condition!
    I’ll mail any enthusiast the motorcycle mags if anyone wants them.

41AC152A-BEFE-4D7A-A6C4-BC56250A0C18 (resized).jpeg41AC152A-BEFE-4D7A-A6C4-BC56250A0C18 (resized).jpeg6FF9C6A5-388D-40BE-90CE-F60E79114987 (resized).jpeg6FF9C6A5-388D-40BE-90CE-F60E79114987 (resized).jpeg
    #3737 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

[quoted image]

Great pic! Thx for that

#3738 2 years ago
    Quoted from starfighter:

Didn't realize it when I was a kid, but Shirley Jones was pretty hot.

#3739 2 years ago

Back then, it was all about Susan Dey.

#3740 2 years ago

When your youngest child retires and starts drawing Social Security.

#3741 2 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

Back then, it was all about Susan Dey.

Movie. First Love 1977

LTG : )

#3742 2 years ago

When you ask for the Walton’s DVD series for Christmas

#3743 2 years ago

Does anyone else google vintage 70s Kmart or grocery store pics?

#3744 2 years ago
    doans1 (resized).jpgdoans1 (resized).jpg
    #3745 2 years ago

You just reminded me - when I was about 10 growing up in Wisconsin, I heard “Doraville” (by the Atlanta Rhythm Section), and I thought he was singing “Doan’s Pills”. I literally thought it was an ad for Doan’s Pills. Funny thing is, now I live 10 miles from Doraville. I still love me some ARS.

#3746 2 years ago

When someone says, "Paul is dead" , you what is being talked about .

#3747 2 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When someone says, "Paul is dead" , you what is being talked about .

But is he...?

#3748 2 years ago

Didn't realize it when I was a kid, but Shirley Jones was pretty hot.</blockquot
    Her family owned Stoney’s brewery in Smithton Pa.
    Really nice lady

#3749 2 years ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Does anyone else google vintage 70s Kmart or grocery store pics?

Blue light special

#3750 2 years ago

you know you are old when cocaine gives you a day long hangover. strive for greatness Cuz!

There are 7,609 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/75?hl=darthpaul and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.