Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,619 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    There are 7,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 153.
    #251 5 years ago

You dont care if you wake up tomorrow.

#252 5 years ago

You can’t just go popping any weird bump you find...

#253 5 years ago

You wake your wife up when you have a morning woody cause you don't want to waste it!

#254 5 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

I remember that , pull than push back in.

Well duh....that would be like saying you dont know how to set a choke. Or even use a manual choke for that matter!

#255 5 years ago

I'll admit it. We sometimes play bingo.

#256 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Well duh....that would be like saying you dont know how to set a choke. Or even use a manual choke for that matter!

That's the best: You know you're old if you or even your parents had a new vehicle with a manual choke. '63 Buick LeSabre and a '64 Ford eCONoline van.

#257 5 years ago

When you hear someone call Metallica "dad rock" and Led Zeppelin "grandfather rock"

#258 5 years ago

You know you’re getting old when… Your cars get bigger and you cant pull your pants up high enough

#259 5 years ago

You remember TV channels signing off at nite then that screeching noise and color test came on the TV

#260 5 years ago

You remember Jack Parr and Johnny Carson

#261 5 years ago

How about Sunday nights watching the Ed Sullivan show...

#262 5 years ago

How about even having real Saturday morning cartoons/kids shows.
    Even that's been a long time now I think.

#263 5 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

You remember Jack Parr and Johnny Carson

Used to watch Johnny all the time. Only saw Parr when he was Leno's guest on his first show after Johnny retired.

#264 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

A13A78B2-63B0-4314-A3BF-3A80449E3AB3 (resized).pngA13A78B2-63B0-4314-A3BF-3A80449E3AB3 (resized).png

#265 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

OMG, promoting all that violence and destruction. We must save the children from cartoons.

#266 5 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

[quoted image]

That's why Bally released a Wacky Racers Slot machine aboot two years ago.

#267 5 years ago

You remember sitting in the front car seat as a little kid.

Better yet, you remember riding on the speaker platform between the rear seat and rear window.

Your seat belt/airbag was Mom's arm across your neck when coming to a quick stop.

#268 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Better yet, you remember riding on the speaker platform between the rear seat and rear window.
    Your seat belt/airbag was Mom's arm across your neck when coming to a quick stop.

Or, sitting on the engine box between the front seats in a '64 Ford Econoline Van. Plus, I would "help" dad by pulling out the Choke lever that was on the front of it. When the engine started sputtering, Pops would yell at, or smack me.
    True story.

#269 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Mom's arm was all the safety you needed!

Well...except that time I fell out of the moving pickup truck.... lol.

Edit: just wanted to add....I doubt that's why I'm a messed up electronic hoarding pin junkie though

#270 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Or, sitting on the engine box between the front seats in a '64 Ford Econoline Van. Plus, I would "help" dad by pulling out the Choke lever that was on the front of it. When the engine started sputtering, Pops would yell or smack me.
    True story.

Ill throw one back at you.
    I was younger -- so I cannot tell you the year, but I was riding in my Grandparents Chevette and for some reason I was sitting in the center console. Not sure what go into me, but I grabbed the shift selector and threw it in reverse while we were driving down the road. After a jolt and some horrendous sounds (from the car and Gramps) we were moving forward again. He told me "Now don't do that again or the tow truck will have to come get us." Apparently the wheels in my head were turning and I threw the selector in reverse again. When asked why I replied that I wanted to see the tow truck.

#271 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Ill throw one back at you.
    I was younger -- so I cannot tell you the year, but I was riding in my Grandparents Chevette and for some reason I was sitting in the center console. Not sure what go into me, but I grabbed the shift selector and threw it in reverse while we were driving down the road. After a jolt and some horrendous sounds (from the car and Gramps) we were moving forward again. He told me "Now don't do that again or the tow truck will have to come get us." Apparently the wheels in my head were turning and I threw the selector in reverse again. When asked why I replied that I wanted to see the tow truck.

And a +1 for it being a Chevette story!!!
    Miss my "vette".....well, that's what I always called it.....

I don't understand why people were always confused when I showed up

#272 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Or, sitting on the engine box between the front seats in a '64 Ford Econoline Van. Plus, I would "help" dad by pulling out the Choke lever that was on the front of it. When the engine started sputtering, Pops would yell at, or smack me.
    True story.

That engine box could get pretty warm. Nice in the winter though. I had a '64 with windows and a '65 windowless that made it from St. Louis to Los Angeles in 1974 filled with Bally and United bingos with unscheduled stops in Enid, Oklahoma for a wheel bearing and San Bernadino, Ca for a locked up transmission. Great memories.

#273 5 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

That engine box could get pretty warm. Nice in the winter though. I had a '64 with windows and a '65 windowless that made it from St. Louis to Los Angeles in 1974 filled with Bally and United bingos with unscheduled stops in Enid, Oklahoma for a wheel bearing and San Bernadino, Ca for a locked up transmission. Great memories.

This was in the winter because as you said that black steel box got hot. Nice in the winter though.
    Don't feel bad about your transmission as it was nine years old. On the first trip with my Dad's new '64 (Windowless) with a dreaded Ford Automatic Transmission, he went 125 miles into Ohio. The transmission locked in 1st gear. He drove it home going barely 30 MPH as he had to be at work the next day. The dealer replaced the transmission under warranty.

#274 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

This was in the winter because as you said that black steel box got hot. Nice in the winter though.
    Don't feel bad about your transmission as it was nine years old. On the first trip with my Dad's new '64 (Windowless) with a dreaded Ford Automatic Transmission, he went 125 miles into Ohio. The transmission locked in 1st gear. He drove it home going barely 30 MPH as he had to be at work the next day. The dealer replaced the transmission under warranty.

These days, the dealer would probably tell you off and claim it's all on you since you kept driving. Anything to get out of helping the customer out....different days.

#275 5 years ago

Ridding on the rear deck watching the world go by was the best. As well as going to the drive in and getting to lay on top of the car with pillows and a blanket.

#276 5 years ago

You look back and realize the crazy amount of responsibility your parents gave you. Lawnmower, garage door 10x bigger than you, lawn darts, motorized gas powered plane on a string, and my favorite was driving a semi truck and trailer across the state of Wyoming while my dad got some sleep. Oh and riding your bike for miles away from your house as long as you were back by the time the street lights came on.

#277 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Ridding on the rear deck watching the world go by was the best. As well as going to the drive in and getting to lay on top of the car with pillows and a blanket.

I canthave even imagine being able to climb up and lay ontop of a modern car....
    Watching stars or fireworks on the hood....whole generation now that probably can't even imagine that.

#278 5 years ago

Laying on the back deck in my parents '68 Buick Wildcat looking at the stars on road trips was pretty cool.

#279 5 years ago

I remember going to school with guns loaded in the gun rack, but we still fought with our fists. Guns were for hunting food not people. F I'm so glad I grew up to have so many dangerous responsibilities and arcades, and nobody ever wore seatbelts and smoked everywhere and nudity was in. Kind of feel sorry for today's youth but I guess they have the technology and convenience we never had

#280 5 years ago

-You remember buying double bubblegum and it came with a wrapped up lil joke/comic w it..
    -When Stan Smith shoes were cool
    -You use to tape American bandstand songs on the Betamax

#281 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Oh and riding your bike for miles away from your house as long as you were back by the time the street lights came on.

And never having the need for a bike lock.

#282 5 years ago

My brother and I rode in the back of the pickup any time the weather was remotely nice. It was usually preferable to riding inside in the summer, because no AC.

Better yet, my Dad coached high school cross country and track. Practice was always right after school. At the end of practice, anyone who needed a ride home would jump in the back of the truck. My Dad would start the truck, take a quick look at who was in back, and make a circle around town dropping kids off at or near their homes. Sometimes he would have 12 or 15 kids to deliver.
    Not sure anyone would be OK with that today.

#283 5 years ago

How many wasted a deck of playing cards and clothes pins on your bicycle spokes? I loved that while pedaling along.

#284 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How many wasted a deck of playing cards and clothes pins on your bicycle spokes? I loved that while pedaling along.

That's how we used our shitty baseball cards.

#285 5 years ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

You remember buying double bubblegum and it came with a wrapped up lil joke/comic w it..

Bazooka Joe, not Double Bubble.

#286 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

You remember TV channels signing off at nite then that screeching noise and color test came on the TV

Yup! And there was only 3 channels...

#287 5 years ago

When the oldies radio station is getting very near to playing the music you listened to in high school...

#288 5 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Bazooka Joe, not Double Bubble.

When you’re to old to remember..lol

#289 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

Oh and riding your bike for miles away from your house as long as you were back by the time the street lights came on

How bout you and your buddy riding all around town on your stingrays all night until the sun came up so you could be first ones at an all you can eat pancake breakfast.

#290 5 years ago

You remember who Hopsing and Sheriff Roy Coffey were.

#291 5 years ago

If you understand these memes when I say them (which I love to do constantly but 99% of the people have no idea what the F I am talking about and look at me like I am insane).

"I must be in the front row"

"F A B"

"Not the Craw, the Craw!"

#292 5 years ago

When some kid says they saw the old james bond actor at the Hotel pool and you say "you saw sean connery or Roger moore here?" and they say "no who's that, It was Pierce Brosnan

#293 5 years ago
    Quoted from topkat:

When some kid says they saw the old james bond actor at the Hotel pool and you say "you saw sean connery or Roger moore here?" and they say "no who's that, It was Pierce Brosnan

Of course another classic is when they breathlessly run up to you and say "did you know Paul McCartney was in another band before Wings???"

#294 5 years ago

When you remember Smoky Bear telling you that "Only you can prevent forest fires". I lived on the Kansas plains.

#295 5 years ago

A memory of my grandpa putting tobacco spit on my arm to take away the sting of a bee when I was a kid.
    When you think fondly of a memory like that then you know you are getting old. He was a great man.

#296 5 years ago

You qualify for senior citizen discounts, you remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon,
    cigarettes were 75 cents a pack, and you saw cigarette commercials on tv.

#297 5 years ago
    Quoted from candyman:

You qualify for senior citizen discounts, you remember when gas was 25 cents a gallon,
    cigarettes were 75 cents a pack, and you saw cigarette commercials on tv.

Now that I am a senior citizen the companies don't advertise senior discounts as much. Too many of us and they will go broke

Smokes were 25 cents per pack. Gas was 17 cents/gallon. You are just a whippersnapper

#298 5 years ago

If you can appreciate how it was when these things were discussed. They would say things and it would be poo-pooed and considered preposterous. Things everyone takes for granted now were talked about in the press and many of those things would cause reactions of disbelief, even panic.

They said, at some point, gas will cost more than a dollar a gallon. This was considered impossible by many. Society would implode! There’s just no way it would work!

They said the cars of the future will basically have sealed engine compartments. There would be nothing to work on, no parts to change. No carberator, no points, no timing to set, coolant will last 100,000 miles, oil will last 10,000 miles, spark plugs will last basically forever, etc. Many shook their heads and said it is an impossible dream. Remember when it would be time for “a tuneup”?

They said in the US there would be thousands and thousands of millionaires, it would become a commonplace thing. This was considered laughable. This was at the time when you could buy yourself a house for ten grand or so.

Of course it all came true, that and a lot more.

#299 5 years ago

Keds redball and $13 dollar converse were the gym shoes everyone wore and wanted.

#300 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Watching the three stooges and Gracho Marks after my favorite cartoon. Cartoons were just that 3 minutes long, and I'd watched hundreds of them every sat. Today almost all cartoons are merely animated soap operas instead of short skits....Oh how the world turns.

There are 7,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/6?hl=avh7401 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.