Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,315 posts
  • 318 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    FBFF4558-530B-4B22-AE31-3AB70E7FE490 (resized).jpeg
    20210507_133632 (resized).jpg
    20210507_130927 (resized).jpg
    20210507_121503 (resized).jpg
    alexa (resized).jpg
    12image002 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    img20210429_11551725 (resized).jpg
    JohnsonSmith74 (resized).jpeg
    20210426_113857 (resized).jpg
    20210426_113729.jpg
    MVmvvm-674671 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    20210423_124537.jpg
    8851E7E2-FCE7-49D9-B197-0C2A85DA9169 (resized).jpeg

There are 3315 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 67.
    #3051 43 days ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Maybe I just remember things being bigger because way back when I was smaller.

No, they are getting smaller. Just like a 12 ounce "pound" of coffee, and a 52 ounce "half gallon" of ice cream.

#3052 43 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm out as a candy bar buyer, today. I keep seeing candy bars priced at $2.20 each. I can't do it.

I returned some Amazon thing to KOHLS a few weeks ago, and the guys says "Heres a $5 coupon, get some candy bars or something." So I go up to the front counter on the way out and throw 3 candy bars on the counter, and the girls says "That'll be $7.25...".........

wtf.......

#3053 43 days ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I’m surprised you guys eat candy bars....

Only on rare occasions anymore. Its difficult to pay more for less when I can remember what I used to get for the same money. I wonder if kids today will consider the current sizes normal and complain when future candy bars only measure an inch long!

Besides, candy bars are probably not good for you anyway. . .

#3054 43 days ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I returned some Amazon thing to KOHLS a few weeks ago, and the guys says "Heres a $5 coupon, get some candy bars or something." So I go up to the front counter on the way out and throw 3 candy bars on the counter, and the girls says "That'll be $7.25...".........
    wtf.......

Well, did you dig out another $2.25? Or did you put one back?

#3055 43 days ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Only on rare occasions anymore. Its difficult to pay more for less when I can remember what I used to get for the same money. I wonder if kids today will consider the current sizes normal and complain when future candy bars only measure an inch long!
    Besides, candy bars are probably not good for you anyway. . .

I'm waiting for cat food that used to come in a 20 lb. sack and got reduced to 16 lbs. per sack to get knocked down to 14 lbs. per sack.

A quart of oil is still a quart of oil. That measurement is sacrosanct. But that qt. keeps going up in price.

Here is Walmart's latest gambit: I change my own oil. I have used synthetic oil in the past but it is more costly and I did not perceive getting any extra value so I went back to Dino oil ( Dino is slang for real oil from the ground). Now all Walmart is selling is synthetic or synthetic-blend oil. Synthetic cost more so Walmart and the oil companies are finding a way to jack the price; "let's quit selling the cheap stuff".

#3056 43 days ago

I just grab the 2.25 lb. Hershey's miniatures combo bags, even at Walgreens their only about 11 bucks, that's equivalent to about 50 cents per regular size candy bar.

#3057 43 days ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Anyone else have trouble opening stuff?
    I know there are child proof lids and all, but any more some of the protective seals on bottles are near impossible for me to peel off without puncturing with a knife.
    I pull and pull at the top of a bag of chips while I walk the line of opening the seal vs. tearing the entire bag and creating a chip explosion.

I can't open the inner bag of a box of cereal anymore without a pair of scissors, yet the box itself is so thin I crush it just picking it up.

#3058 43 days ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

I just grab the 2.25 lb. Hershey's miniatures combo bags, even at Walgreens their only about 11 bucks, that's equivalent to about 50 cents per regular size candy bar.

You mean "fun size"? Talk about a euphemism!

#3059 43 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm waiting for cat food that used to come in a 20 lb. sack and got reduced to 16 lbs. per sack to get knocked down to 14 lbs. per sack.
    A quart of oil is still a quart of oil. That measurement is sacrosanct. But that qt. keeps going up in price.
    Here is Walmart's latest gambit: I change my own oil. I have used synthetic oil in the past but it is more costly and I did not perceive getting any extra value so I went back to Dino oil ( Dino is slang for real oil from the ground). Now all Walmart is selling is synthetic or synthetic-blend oil. Synthetic cost more so Walmart and the oil companies are finding a way to jack the price; "let's quit selling the cheap stuff".

Regular oil used to be around 89c /quart. Then, when synthetic oil came out at around $4.00/quart, suddenly the price of regular oil took a quantum leap upward as well.

#3060 43 days ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You mean "fun size"? Talk about a euphemism!

I like to eat a mini Butterfinger, then a Nestle's Crunch right after. For some weird reason it makes the Crunch taste blueberry-ish.

#3061 43 days ago

... when some younger people are discussing "streaming" and you don't really know what they're talking about but it gives you a sudden urge to go take a leak.

#3062 43 days ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Regular oil used to be around 89c /quart. Then, when synthetic oil came out at around $4.00/quart, suddenly the price of regular oil took a quantum leap upward as well.

We used to buy "Re-Refined" motor oil at 19 cents a quart from the local Site service station when I was a teenager back in the 60's. Worked fine in my '54 Ford.

#3063 43 days ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

... when some younger people are discussing "streaming" and you don't really know what they're talking about but it gives you a sudden urge to go take a leak.

Reminds me of the Benny Hill show when a lady walking by thought he was taking a leak but was behind a bush with a garden hose.

#3064 43 days ago
    Quoted from dhutton:

I can't open the inner bag of a box of cereal anymore without a pair of scissors, yet the box itself is so thin I crush it just picking it up.

Pour cereal in Tupper ware for storage ..old people do that

#3065 43 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

There are always rebate deals to get synthetic down to ~$12 for 5 quarts, sometimes free for that matter. Kirkland and Super Tech also hover in that price range. They are actually considered good synthetics by the folks who talk about oil like we do pinball machines.

#3066 43 days ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Pour cereal in Tupper ware for storage ..old people do that

I use soup containers from our local Chinese Restaurant.

#3067 43 days ago

... you still buy frozen orange juice concentrate because it weighs less in the bag carrying it home, requires a little effort to prepare and tastes better than OJ in the carton anyway.

#3068 43 days ago

You know you are over the hill when you buy a box of tea that makes 48 gallons for $3.95 a box. And across the aisle, someone is paying $3.00 for a gallon of pre-made tea.

#3069 43 days ago

How about getting excited over a Mustang... the gottlieb Mustang
    Bought one today and pickup Sunday!

#3070 43 days ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

There are always rebate deals to get synthetic down to ~$12 for 5 quarts, sometimes free for that matter. Kirkland and Super Tech also hover in that price range. They are actually considered good synthetics by the folks who talk about oil like we do pinball machines.

I don't chase rebates anymore, either. I bought some Bosch spark plugs that offered a rebate. Turns out the plugs were crap and the rebate never came.

And Menard's here in town has all of these rebates going on. Only they are not rebates. The are merely store credits that you can use only when you go buy something else at Menards. .

Rebates got started in 1972-74. The Government had been guilty of putting on price controls. My marketing professor was brand manager for Scott paper at the time and put Scott paper towels on sale at loss leading prices. Then the government stepped in a laid on price controls. Definition of price controls: You can lower your prices but you cannot raise them. My professor got stuck for quite awhile selling his line for below cost.

Rebates made the front page when the automakers jumped on. They raised their prices way up there high so they would not get caught in the govt. price control crap. But to compensate their customers, they employed the use of rebates. People loved the rebates and it goosed car sales. And rebates never went away.

But there are too many cheaters now that will not send out the rebate. What are you going to do? Go to Small Claims court for an $8.00 rebate.

I am a give me the sale price now type, or FO and leave me alone.

#3071 42 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I am a give me the sale price now type, or FO and leave me alone.

I hear ya on the rebates, but inflation adjusted, that 5 quarts of Amazon, Super Tech, or Kirkland Full Synthetic isn't as expensive as you might think it is.

#3072 42 days ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I hear ya on the rebates, but inflation adjusted, that 5 quarts of Amazon, Super Tech, or Kirkland Full Synthetic isn't as expensive as you might think it is.

Inflation adjusted a lot of things are not as expensive as I think they are, but I sure do wish they were cheaper

#3073 42 days ago

I still clip the occasional coupon. . . although it can often lead me to buy something that I would not have otherwise.

#3074 42 days ago

... when you replace the ball(s) in one of your old pins because they're getting a little scratched and you consider it a big-time mod.

#3075 42 days ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

We used to buy "Re-Refined" motor oil at 19 cents a quart from the local Site service station when I was a teenager back in the 60's. Worked fine in my '54 Ford.

It was cheaper pumped straight out. Had a 69 Malibu with a blown rear seal / couldn't keep oil in.

#3076 42 days ago

When you take your dog out for an evening walk around the block w a rum &coke in the other hand. As I get older, I really don’t care if people see me or what they think

#3077 42 days ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I still clip the occasional coupon. . . although it can often lead me to buy something that I would not have otherwise.

You know you’re old when you “clip a coupon” rather than show it to the cashier on your iphone.

#3078 42 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, did you dig out another $2.25? Or did you put one back?

i put one back. Fuck that.

#3079 42 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

It was cheaper pumped straight out. Had a 69 Malibu with a blown rear seal / couldn't keep oil in.

Chevys of that era were notorious for that. 327, or 350?

#3080 41 days ago

Stihl sells collectible trucker hats with a different look. this years version was half camo with a bad ass orange chainsaw logo. I always look forward to the 5 dollar Stihl Hat coupon I cut out every year

#3081 41 days ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Chevys of that era were notorious for that. 327, or 350?

307, the worst. I will say I drove it till it locked up (twice) and was able to refill with oil and get it running again with no ill effects.

#3082 41 days ago
    Quoted from Budman:

You know you’re old when you “clip a coupon” rather than show it to the cashier on your iphone.

I still use a flip phone for calls. It scares me a bit to see how most people cannot live without their phone.
    On Friday, a large wind storm the night before took out the power to my building at work. I was able to rig up some lights to keep the doors open, but the internet/router/etc. were without power and our building is metal so the inside does not get a good cell signal. The day started out ok but after a couple hours my co-workers were beginning to show connectivity withdraw symptoms and were getting twitchy. They even went outside for periods at a time to sit in their cars (it was a bit chilly) to "check in" or whatever it is they do -- I suppose the modern equivalent of a smoke break. When the power flipped back on around 3pm you could feel the tension melt away inside the office.

Meanwhile, at home today I noticed my wife looking at her Apple Watch while she said some unpleasant things to it. I thought maybe it was a cool Dick Tracy moment and she was talking to a telemarketer or something -- but she was actually unhappy with the watch because her fitness ap was not giving her credit for standing when it told her to (or something like that). I told her that if she was interested in fitness/a workout she could come outside and help me clean out the flower beds. . . needless to say she did not take me up on my offer and chose to continue to argue with the watch.

#3083 41 days ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

When you take your dog out for an evening walk around the block w a rum &coke in the other hand. As I get older, I really don’t care if people see me or what they think

Sounds like an all-around decent idea even if you don't got no dog.

#3084 41 days ago
    Quoted from Budman:

Or when you give them the coupon and they just give it back to you so you can use it again. So what'd I spend all that time snipping it out for, just gimme the discount every time I come in here! XD

#3085 41 days ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Stihl sells collectible trucker hats with a different look. this years version was half camo with a bad ass orange chainsaw logo. I always look forward to the 5 dollar Stihl Hat coupon I cut out every year

They also make a great chain saw!! Been using the same one for over 20 years.

#3086 41 days ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I noticed my wife looking at her Apple Watch while she said some unpleasant things to it

I am old enough remember the days before answering machines. And I remember feeling like a fool for talking to a machine to leave a message.

Nowadays, I'm like Tom Hanks in Castaway, talking to that soccer ball all of the time. The cell rules my waking moments.

My ISP is Cox Cable. I use to get landline service and cable service from Cox. But I dumped cable in 2004 and dropped the landline for 100% cell in 2014. I'm not the only one who has done this. To make up for its revenue loss, Cox started selling a security service. I get it whether I want it or not; I would prefer no security service and get a cheaper ISP rate, but I know that will never happen. However, I know how to make the best of a bad situation.

The security service wired my front and back door with sensors. If my doors are opened (say a thief is breaking in and I am in Dallas, my cell phone will signal I am being broken into). I have yet to be broken into but found that the door sensors make a nice "fine my phone" tool for when I forget where I laid it down at. Whenever I can't find my phone I just open the door and wait for the phone start making a racket.

I do wish that sensor feature would be something that I could incorporate into my TV controller that keeps getting lost in the cushions.

#3087 41 days ago

Ride em Cowboy!

20210328_140718 (resized).jpg20210328_140741 (resized).jpg
    #3088 41 days ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Or when you give them the coupon and they just give it back to you so you can use it again. So what'd I spend all that time snipping it out for, just gimme the discount every time I come in here! XD

Hobby Lobby is famous for that

#3089 38 days ago

...You send emails by Pony Express.
    When they light the candles on your birthday cake, global warming goes up 2/10ths of a degree.
    When you take a selfie and post it on the internet it only shows up in black & white.
    You ruined a Blue-ray movie by trying to play it on your Victrola.
    The 8-track in your car stereo is broken.
    Your Facebook password is in hieroglyphics.
    Even all your ear and nose hairs are gray.
    You've used the same Blackberry for 11 years and to this day all the screen has ever done is blink “12:00”.
    You still buy your socks at Montgomery Ward.
    After you blow your nose the only thing on your handkerchief is dust.

#3090 38 days ago

Margarita Carmen Cansino vintage hottie of April

#3091 38 days ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Margarita Carmen Cansino vintage hottie of April

She sure was a good dancer.

2 weeks later
    #3092 24 days ago

Scored antique 40s wooden skis on Finley dog walk today!! Great condition

#3093 24 days ago
    20210414_165600 (resized).jpg
    #3094 24 days ago

When you deliver and set up a four-player Bally for a buyer, and you need to be put in traction for the next three days!

#3095 24 days ago

You know your old when you salivate over Ivanka Trump. Vintage hottie of May.

#3096 23 days ago

When you wear Footjoy golf shoes to work because comfort always trumps style!

524FF515-161D-40E5-8105-9BC883D4A30F (resized).jpeg
    #3097 23 days ago

I appreciate the good finds in the alleys. I like to scrounge around, too. But what are going to do with those skis? Are you turning into a hoarder

#3098 23 days ago

Didn’t care walking half a km with wooden skis in one hand and Finley in the other.

#3099 23 days ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Didn’t care walking half a km with wooden skis in one hand and Finley in the other.

Now keep in mind I, will go to the beer store in my pyjamas.

#3100 23 days ago
    Quoted from Budman:

When you wear Footjoy golf shoes to work because comfort always trumps style!
    [quoted image]

... or when you wear your bathroom slippers to the grocery store since they are plainly styled and not very bathroom-slippery looking. And you don't even bother to put on socks.

There are 3315 posts in this topic. You are on page 62 of 67.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside