Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,617 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    There are 7,617 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 153.
    #2551 3 years ago

I always do the 5 minute pre-grilling scorch to sanitize

#2552 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCP:

How about using the word "optics" when they mean "appearance" or "image"? Optics are prisms and lenses arranged to bend or reflect light.
    There has been a very noticeable dumbing down of the general lexicon over the decades.

prism ...dark side of the moon. Kids have no idea who or what pink Floyd is. What a shame.

#2553 3 years ago
    1606786116646-238771807 (resized).jpg1606786116646-238771807 (resized).jpg
    #2554 3 years ago

Speaking of which, they wanted grilled chicken tonight.

20201130_173409 (resized).jpg20201130_173409 (resized).jpg
    #2555 3 years ago

Does the pam kill the stuff growing on the grill?

#2556 3 years ago

Always scrape prior to Pam.

#2557 3 years ago

I bring them in and spray the grills down with Heavy Duty Easy Off. Let them sit for awhile then hot water and a scouring pad. Be careful of steel wool pads as they leave steel wool fibers.

#2558 3 years ago

Scrape before you leave the grill, then start it with burners on high for a few minutes. Burns everything off and gets the grill nice and hot for searing.

#2559 3 years ago

Am I old? Every time a Pizza Hut ad claims that "Nobody out-pizzas the Hut" I mutter something to the effect of "Yes, because it is impossible, since there is no verb 'to pizza.'"

#2560 3 years ago

You know you're old when you finally breakdown and spend the $$ for a real good digital cooking thermometer and wish you'd done it decades ago. But you didn’t because your sister in law got you a crappy one years ago and you felt bad replacing it.

#2561 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

and you felt bad replacing it.

Or were you just too cheap to replace it .

#2562 3 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

My friends daughter is a 4th grade teacher. One of her male students asked her “if she
    s*cked d*cks”. I swear the world is spinning out of control.

A close family friend is an accounting professor at a college in the Philadelphia area.
    He told me that in the last few years he’s been getting emails from parents of students stating ” for what we are paying we expect passing grades! “

#2563 3 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

A close family friend is an accounting professor at a college in the Philadelphia area.
    He told me that in the last few years he’s been getting emails from parents of students stating ” for what we are paying we expect passing grades! “

Locally I heard that students are no longer kept back in school. Everyone passes. So whats the point of doing your work? Our "next generation". God help us.

#2564 3 years ago

I know I'm old now. I just turned 50. That's just a number. The thing is my wife and I were driving to an antique shop last weekend. She pulls out a couple Saltines and asked me if I wanted one. I said sure. That's when I knew. Eating Saltines with my wife on the way to go antiquing.

#2565 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Am I old? Every time a Pizza Hut ad claims that "Nobody out-pizzas the Hut" I mutter something to the effect of "Yes, because it is impossible, since there is no verb 'to pizza.'"

THANKYOU!
    I find that incredibly annoying.
    Now another pizza factory has picked up on it
    and they say this is "how you pizza."
    WHAT?!?

... I guess you know you are old when you appreciate proper English.

#2566 3 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

THANKYOU!
    I find that incredibly annoying.
    Now another pizza factory has picked up on it
    and they say this is "how you pizza."
    WHAT?!?
    ... I guess you know you are old when you appreciate proper English.

I haven't bought a pizza in years. Been making my own with great success. The key is having a pizza stone and a very hot oven.

#2567 3 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

My friends daughter is a 4th grade teacher. One of her male students asked her “if she
    s*cked d*cks”.

Well...does she? And do you have a phone number?

#2568 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

I haven't bought a pizza in years.

I have not dined in at a Pizza Hut in years. . . but am I the only one that felt like they needed to take a shower after doing so? It was almost like the grease hung in the air!

I still cook with charcoal and enjoy it. I use a blowtorch to light the briquettes and it always gets things started just fine. (I stay away from the lighter fluid as I think it leaves a chemical taste on the food). From there I go play a couple games on one of the pinball machines in the garage until things warm up enough to start grilling. I shave off a couple slivers of cherry or maple from the firewood pile and toss them on top of the coals -- adds a nice smokiness to whats cookin.

#2569 3 years ago

35 years ago there was a restaurant in a Mexican border town that served Blow Torch Nachos. Yup, they cooked the nachos with a propane torch. Toasty!

#2570 3 years ago

You know you are old when: the first time you hear someone say that getting old sucks, and you get it. (I have been old for many years now).

#2571 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

You know you are old when: the first time you hear someone say that getting old sucks, and you get it. (I have been old for many years now).

Dealing with your aches and pains, huh?

When I was about 12-13, I was with my cousins in their stepdad's car. The stepdad did not have a sense of humor. We were sitting at the side of the road at an old country cemetery. And waiting. Just waiting as all of these old people were saying their ya-ya's to each other after the burial service.

We were impatient kids wanting to be rolling down the road. My cousin said, "They are just standing their talking about their aches and pains. We'll be sitting here all day!

The stepdad got pissed at our teenage sacrilege

When you start seeing your old friends ( the ones still living ) and the conversation turns to aches and pains that is your signal to keep your will up to date

#2572 3 years ago

I guess no pinball for a while.

thumbnail-8 (resized).jpgthumbnail-8 (resized).jpg
    #2573 3 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

[quoted image]

You need one of those contraptions that clamp onto your lockdown bar that places both flipper buttons on one side of the cabinet for two-finger play.

What's is that. Carpal Tunnel?

#2574 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

"They are just standing their talking about their aches and pains.

I never understood those complaints.

Now if they talked about things that quit working. That I would have listened to.

LTG : )

#2575 3 years ago

When you see Bod Dylan cashing out and selling his entire song library. Sort of like when David Bowie issued The David Bowie Bonds for his music.

What dod we call this? The last gasp sale

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/07/media/bob-dylan-song-catalog/index.html

Where would you like to be career wise in five years, Bob?

"Alive. "

#2576 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

What's is that. Carpal Tunnel?

Yes plus trigger finger release.

#2577 3 years ago

Yes plus trigger finger release.

You need one of those contraptions that clamp to your lockdown bar and places both flipper buttons on one side of your pin to you can play one-handed.

#2578 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You need one of those contraptions that clamp to your lockdown bar and places both flipper buttons on one side of your pin to you can play one-handed.

Or just get an Oktoberfest and put it into beer mode.

#2579 3 years ago

[quoted image]

Speedy recovery man...misses thumb and her 4 daughters will miss you !

#2580 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I never understood those complaints.
    Now if they talked about things that quit working. That I would have listened to.

Ah hell, Lloyd, Their kids are gone. Their dog died. The grandkids don't visit. They can't hear good enough to hear the TV and that assumes they can still see good enough to watch TV. They can't take long trips or vacations anymore. The only thing they have in common to talk about is their aches and pains. But I'm sure that if you asked real nice they would drag out their old 8mm silent home movies and show you everywhere they went on the vacation 50 years ago

#2581 3 years ago

Chuck Yeager, Air Force test pilot, the movie The Right Stuff was about him.

Dead at 97.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/07/us/chuck-yeager-death/index.html

Sean Connery died at the age of 90. I'm 68. If I live to be as old as 007, I will have another 22 years.

When you start thinking in these terms you know you are getting older, if not just plain old.

Yeager's 97 would give me 30 more years.

#2582 3 years ago

You might be old if you are wondering how Break Dancing became an Olympic sport. Whaaat.

#2583 3 years ago

I always wondered why with all his money, Sean Connery could never get a set of false teeth that fit. He always had the loose upper plate sound in his voice.

#2584 3 years ago
    Quoted from paragon07:

You might be old if you are wondering how Break Dancing became an Olympic sport. Whaaat.

Sounds like a another event started by the kids to have fun. And then the adults figure out how to turn it into a ticket selling event.

#2585 3 years ago

You know you're old when you need a popsicle stick and some duct tape to have sex.

NOTE: Splinters may be an unfortunate side effect for your partner.

#2586 3 years ago

When your wife starts dividing your games up to sell......ouch.

#2587 3 years ago
    Quoted from paragon07:

Oh you don't have to be old
    to be scratchin' your head on that one.

#2588 3 years ago

Meanwhile, if they made Breaking Wind an Olympic sport, old age would be an advantage!

#2589 3 years ago

You know you're old when a photo like this did not even raise an eyebrow.
    Me and my Dad, in our apartment in Chicago in 1957. I guess people just did whatever they needed to do to get the creative juices flowing.
    Luckily, somehow, I never picked up the tobacco habit.

DadAndDenny1957 (resized).jpgDadAndDenny1957 (resized).jpg
    #2590 3 years ago

When you remember your family taking "screen shots" of historic events by photographing the TV with a film camera. This photo has gone through a lot of technology on its journey here. It originated from a TV camera at Cape Canaveral, was relayed to our local broadcast station, the image reproduced on our TV, then shot on 35mm film, a negative made, slides made, the slide scanned decades later, the image stored on a hard drive for years, then the image cropped and posted on Pinside. And you can get a better shot of Shepard's rocket off of the web in about 2 seconds. But this is ORIGINAL, mannnnnn!
    This is probably Alan Shepard getting ready for the first US suborbital flight in 1961.
    The TV was our DeForest black and white that we had through much of the 60s.

1961AlanShepardPowersTV (resized).jpg1961AlanShepardPowersTV (resized).jpg

#2591 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCP:

Me and my Dad, in our apartment in Chicago in 1957. I guess people just did whatever they needed to do to get the creative juices flowing.
    [quoted image]

That IS crazy....I mean a newspaper...

#2592 3 years ago

You know you're old when a Led Zep pin is announced and you suddenly have to go relieve yourself.

#2593 3 years ago

When you start getting ‘moobs -man boobs

#2594 3 years ago
    Quoted from DCP:

[quoted image]

My dad was a Winston and Salem smoker. So, for a few brief months I was also a Winston and Salem smoker Dad was a heavy smoker and he never missed the 2 or 3 cigarettes I would stuff inside the fingers of my gloves before I left for school

That said, my dad was not the reason I started smoking. It was the 14 year old kid from across the street who gave me my first puff and then laughed when my legs turned into rubber.

#2595 3 years ago

When you remember going out at night and watching the sky to try and see Sputnik.

#2596 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

When you remember going out at night and watching the sky to try and see Sputnik.

Did that.

How about when you were told you could not eat the snow or make snow ice cream because of nuclear fallout from the bombs being tested.

#2597 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How about when you were told you could not eat the snow or make snow ice cream because of nuclear fallout from the bombs being tested.

I never heard that one.

I do remember in grade school the duck and cover drills. Kneel against the wall and have a coat over us. To keep us safe in a nuclear bomb blast.

I don't know if they were that naive or they wanted us in a row to make it easy to count the shadows on the ground to estimate how many were incinerated ?

#2598 3 years ago

I got that "don't eat the snow" from my mother's knee. We lived in a very small town so I am sure her source of information was properly vetted

Quoted from LTG:

I don't know if they were that naive or they wanted us in a row to make it easy to count the shadows on the ground to estimate how many were incinerated ?

I would say "naive". Lots of monkey see monkey do stuff going is my guess. Especially, after I read how the authorities freaked out when Pearl Harbor got hit. They went nuts thinking the Japanese were just off the west coast but Pearl was some 2500 miles away

#2599 3 years ago

December hottie of the month Donna Reed.

#2600 3 years ago

Should we make a habit of checking in with each other every 6 months if no activity. ..just to make sure ?

There are 7,617 posts in this topic. You are on page 52 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/52 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.