Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,611 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    There are 7,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 153.
    #2501 3 years ago

Note to self: get more propane before the weekend.

#2502 3 years ago

You know your old when your almost defeated by a Sharpie pen = needed a new Sharpie , at the store they had a million kinds . I just wanted the regular kind they have made for 30 years - nope could not find one. So went with a fine point . Got home and tried to take the top off - pulled and pulled on the cap - it did have a small end on the cap - well that must be the fine point - tried to pull the small cap off, unscrew it - not budging . Went and fished the package out of the trash hoping that would tell me how to get the dam cap off - nope . Then by luck I pushed down on the top - it's a fricking RETRACTABLE pen !

#2503 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

You're old when you remember "The Wizard of Oz" being only in black and white.

Probably turned it off early when they saw how much it sucked.

#2504 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Got to be sure the trailer stays warm

#2505 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I remember when Bonanza was the only TV show that was in color.

My dad was a car dealer in small town. One of his drinking buddies was the local appliance and TV guy. One day, I came home from 1st grade ( in 1959) and saw this new RCA color TV in the living room. It was not in a wood cabinet. It was 1950s style, square steel box with simulated wood grain paint, sitting on 4 spindly legs.

AIFRC, Bonanza was the only color TV show for a couple of more years.

#2506 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How many remember when people had front yard lighst that were lit with gas? 24/7 those gas lights stayed lit. And now, come to think of it, I have not seen a front yard light in either gas or electric for years.

I had one that was still hooked up when we moved into our house 23 years ago.

#2507 3 years ago

...you remember the local "5 & 10" (and know what a "5 & 10" is!).

#2508 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scotty_K:

I loved ours,I just about lived there.

#2509 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scotty_K:

Loved Woolworth's when they had the soda fountain. W.T. Grant was another favorite. Each had an amazing amount of merchandise.

#2510 3 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Loved Woolworth's when they had the soda fountain. W.T. Grant was another favorite. Each had an amazing amount of merchandise.

Loved Woolworths way back when.
    Bought my very first record there.
    They had THE best selection of 45's anywhere!
    Always had The Billboard Top 100 posted as well.
    Comic selection was top shelf too.

#2511 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Or you're really, really old if you remember Wizard of Oz in color before the invention of color TV's.

#2512 3 years ago

You still think green onion Fandangos were better than Doritos and wait for them to return to the Market.

#2513 3 years ago

You listen to Alice's Restaurant every year on Thanksgiving.

#2514 3 years ago

Wife has the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade on this morning.

So far I don't know who/what half the "new" floats are. Probably don't recognize closer to 80% when it comes to the singers/performers.

I suppose I need more culture!

#2515 3 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

So far I don't know who/what half the "new" floats are. Probably don't recognize closer to 80% when it comes to the singers/performers.

" need MORE culture" you say?
    No, no TractorDoc! Stay safe right where you are.

#2516 3 years ago

You're old when you worry about how much you eat today will hurt tonight. Im gonna have a huge gutache. Happy turkey day!

#2517 3 years ago

When you watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and ended when Santa rode by in his sleigh.

The next day the Christmas season started.

Great times. Now Christmas has been in the stores for months.

I'm glad I am old and remember the magic of Christmas that was.

LTG : )

#2518 3 years ago

You know you're old when you begin wrapping your living room furniture in plastic.

(See also: "You know you're Italian when...")

#2519 3 years ago

Do you remember the day when the car you bought had to be a 2 door hardtop?

And then one day you realize a 4 door is much more practical.

#2520 3 years ago

Question: do you ever get old enough to be glad when someone calls you to discuss your Medicare options?

Personally it drives me crazy since I'm not even old enough to qualify for it!

But I also envision, all too easily, a class of lonely old folks who are thrilled to have anyone to talk to at all.
    Downer, sorry.

#2521 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

You listen to Alice's Restaurant every year on Thanksgiving.

Can't wait to go back and have another thanksgiving dinner that couldnt be beat

Edit: '...some of you may be too young to know what a movement is...'

#2522 3 years ago

When you play volleyball in an adult rec league and the t-shirt you're wearing is older than some of your teammates.

#2523 3 years ago

95% of the time that I am home is spent in my basement mancave/office.

Now that my knees are in such bad shape it is hard to do the steps, I just ordered a gas stove for the mancave, so that I will no longer have to go upstairs to cook.

I long ago had already made a bedroom down here, and a half bath, so yeah, as I get older I am listening to my knees.

Surgery? HELL NO!

Elevator? possibly, eventually.

Getting old sucks.

Now my best friend is in the hospital with stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

2020 just keeps getting worse all the time.

Anyway, I hope all of you had a awesome Thanksgiving!

#2524 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

a class of lonely old folks who are thrilled to have anyone to talk to at all.

The remedy for that is 4 or 5 pinball machines.

Great retirement hobby !

#2525 3 years ago

When you only have one plate of food for thanksgiving dinner.

#2526 3 years ago

When people reply in texts with popular phrases and you have no idea what it means. Like:

Word!

#2527 3 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

When you only have one plate of food for thanksgiving dinner.

Well that made me feel a little younger, I still had two plates this year. I did skip breakfast though so I would have enough room

#2528 3 years ago

When you enjoy listening to more music from the ‘60s & ‘70s then anything else. The lyrics were simple, not derogatory.

#2529 3 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Need a Canada Float.

#2530 3 years ago

A huge poppy, beer and hockey stick

#2531 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scotty_K:

The five and dime was my first geography lesson. Everything was "Made in Japan". . At that time, Made in Japan was not noted for high quality.

However , the quality, or lack thereof, was not equal. A few years ago I started cleaning up the 8mm family movies my dad took in the 50s. That required buying some used film equipment off of Ebay to work the tapes. A lot of those 8mm film products were of very high quality.

#2532 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scotty_K:

Yes it was called Danners.

Danners, Inc was a company based in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA, that operated retail and restaurant outlets. Its largest, and oldest, division was the Danners 5 & 10 chain of five and dime stores, which it closed in 1985.

By the way it was where I played my first pinball in 1972 Orbit

#2533 3 years ago

We lived across from a W.T. Grant.

#2534 3 years ago

You remember when Nixon took Jackie Gleason to see real alien bodies and wreckage at an Air Force base in Florida.

#2535 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

You remember when Nixon took Jackie Gleason to see real alien bodies and wreckage at an Air Force base in Florida.

Never heard of that before. Off to Google I go.

He Ha Ha Sourced from the National Enquirer.

#2536 3 years ago

You're old when you decide after climbing the same ridge for 15 years to get a Christmas tree, that the ones on the lot look pretty damn nice. Im hurting from today

#2537 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

The five and dime was my first geography lesson. Everything was "Made in Japan". . At that time, Made in Japan was not noted for high quality.
    However , the quality, or lack thereof, was not equal. A few years ago I started cleaning up the 8mm family movies my dad took in the 50s. That required buying some used film equipment off of Ebay to work the tapes. A lot of those 8mm film products were of very high quality.

Back to the Future 3... 1955

#2538 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

He Ha Ha Sourced from the National Enquirer.

His Wife actually first revealed it in an Esquire interview, which she claimed was quickly disappeared. Then the Enquirer picked it up.
    You know Jackie Gleason had a house built in the shape of a flying saucer? Outdoor shed too.

#2539 3 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

You know Jackie Gleason had a house built in the shape of a flying saucer? Outdoor shed too.

I did not know that until yesterday

#2540 3 years ago

When you are young and looking around , you're are looking for a nice pair of boobs, a nice ass, and ooh la-la, she likes to do it, too . Oooh Baby !

You know you are old when you think in terms of she has a nice bank account and a nice car that is paid for. Add bonus points if she likes to cook and if she owns her own house. Double bonus if her house has an empty basement .

It is all about priorities

#2541 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

'Ancient Aliens' or a 'UFO' show did 7 minutes on this. Nixon was with Jackie most of the day, at one of Jackie's Celebrity Golf Tournaments. Later that night Nixon shows up were Jackie was staying, and asks to come with him. Just the 2 of them drive off with Nixon at the wheel. When they show up at the gate on the base, the gaurds were set aback, but still let them onto the base. After returning home Jackie's wife states he was upset, and could hardly eat for a week.

#2542 3 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

'Ancient Aliens' or a 'UFO' show did 7 minutes on this. Nixon was with Jackie most of the day, at one of Jackie's Celebrity Golf Tournaments. Later that night Nixon shows up were Jackie was staying, and asks to come with him. Just the 2 of them drive of with Nixon at the wheel. When they show up at the gate on the base, the gaurds were set aback, but still let them onto the base. After returning home Jackie's wife states he was upset, and could hardly eat for a week.

I watched that episode as well. So unfortunate that no evidence has been found. Very interesting topic.

#2543 3 years ago

You know you are old. Darth Vader has died.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/29/entertainment/david-prowse-darth-vadar-star-wars-dies-gbr-scli-intl/index.html

British actor David Prowse, who played Darth Vader in the original "Star Wars" trilogy, has died aged 85, his management company announced Sunday.

#2544 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Got to be sure the trailer stays warm

Lol ..Welcome back Vid!

#2545 3 years ago

Some of the recent posts here made me remember this, in my hometown growing up a guy dressed in a Santa outfit would ride around the neighborhood on a fire truck on Christmas Eve. Siren blaring all afternoon, kids would get excited when the noise got closer, and everyone would come out to meet him and get a lollipop when he finally got to your block. But that's not really the "you know you are old" part. Nearly every father would come out with their kids and bring a shot of whiskey for Santa when he stopped in front of your house. By 2pm Santa probably had 20 shots in him and the elves would have to hold him upright. Even as a kid I thought it was hilarious. That was the jolliest, rosiest Santa you'd see all winter.

#2546 3 years ago

I try to keep up with the changes in the lexicon, the language, as the years keep moving by. There is a new breed of reporters and writers with novel ways of communicating.

I grew up saying " I made phone call to so and so." or hearing and advertisement that said, " Your satisfaction is just a phone call away."

This one got me: " During the Sunday morning phoner with XXXXXX, ZZZZ praised YYYYYY"s show "last night," even though Saturday's airing was just a repeat of a...".

So now, instead of making phone call, in the future, I will be making phoners. ( My spell checker is having problems with phoner. ).

I try to stay current but it is getting harder.

Gotta go, now. I need to make a phoner to my dentist and set up an appt.

You know you are getting old when you start paying attention to minor details such as this

#2547 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I try to keep up with the changes in the lexicon, the language, as the years keep moving by.

How about using the word "optics" when they mean "appearance" or "image"? Optics are prisms and lenses arranged to bend or reflect light.
    There has been a very noticeable dumbing down of the general lexicon over the decades.

#2548 3 years ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Fire is fire. When I was young and dumb, I would get the filthy sooty bag of charcoal, dump some in, take a total guess on the amount needed (which was never right, always too little or not enough), spend the next 45 minutes trying to get them to light and waste half a can of lighter fluid, burn myself a few times spreading them out evenly, wait another half an hour for them to turn just the right heat color, then get the food on and pray it cooks before the coals die out.

Now, I turn a knob, press a button, wait 5 minutes to kill anything alive on the grill, and cook the food, usually big juicy steaks which everyone swears are better than they had at any restaurant. I've got it cooked, eaten, cleaned up, and having a cold one before the millennial gets the coals lit.

I do, however, have a 100% foolproof way of dealing with the propane tanks. I have TWO of them. When the first one goes empty, I set it to the side and put the second one in. Then, I spend the next several months reminding myself to take the first one to get it refilled, but I always forget. Then, when the second one runs out, I panic and have to figure out how to finish the half-cooked meal, then run them both over to be filled. Works every time!

#2549 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Now, I turn a knob, press a button, wait 5 minutes to kill anything alive on the grill, and cook the food, usually big juicy steaks which everyone swears are better than they had at any restaurant. I've got it cooked, eaten, cleaned up, and having a cold one before the millennial gets the coals lit.

Yup. I grill a lot, and I gave up screwing around with coals a long time ago. If I need some smoke, I add some wood chips.
    My recipe for grilled chicken:
    package of chicken thighs(I prefer boneless/skinless, but I've grilled both)
    some Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (original is best)
    the end, I guess. Shake some TC on the chicken, toss it on the grill, flip on occasion, remove when it hits 165. Gets rave reviews every time. If you leave the skin on, beware of flare ups.

#2550 3 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Fire is fire. When I was young and dumb, I would get the filthy sooty bag of charcoal, dump some in, take a total guess on the amount needed (which was never right, always too little or not enough), spend the next 45 minutes trying to get them to light and waste half a can of lighter fluid, burn myself a few times spreading them out evenly, wait another half an hour for them to turn just the right heat color, then get the food on and pray it cooks before the coals die out.
    I do, however, have a 100% foolproof way of dealing with the propane tanks. I have TWO of them. When the first one goes empty, I set it to the side and put the second one in. Then, I spend the next several months reminding myself to take the first one to get it refilled, but I always forget. Then, when the second one runs out, I panic and have to figure out how to finish the half-cooked meal, then run them both over to be filled. Works every time!

I got even lazier and ran a natural gas line out and got a grill with a NG conversion kit.
    Turn on valve and turn off valve at end. Done deal.

Honestly though, I'm rather unhappy with the reduced pressure of the NG vs LP.

I found the wind affects the flame more, and it made the nice broiler portion of my grill completely useless. It just doesn't blast heat/flame down onto my steaks like it used to. Instead, it just kind of hovers a wimpy flame and up the heat all goes.

It works well enough to enjoy good meat on the rest of it, though.

There are 7,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 51 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/51?hl=alexrogan84 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.