Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,611 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    There are 7,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 153.
    #2451 3 years ago

You Know You Are Old When. . . you give a web address over the phone "double u, double u, double u, dot......"

#2452 3 years ago

You Know You Are Old When. . . you buy a convertible Corvette

#2453 3 years ago

You Know You Are Old When. . . You lean over and tell a stranger "You KNOW that guy is gay"

#2454 3 years ago

How many people can remember back to 1965,1966, or 1967. I have something on my mind and I cannot find anything about on what's on my mind. Google has been absolutely useless. I was not driving yet, so it was probably June-July 1965, or June or July 1966. In August 1966 I got my drive's license.

I think it was 1965. In a mall parking lot about two blocks from me, Chevrolet sent up a tent. Its was one of those blow up tents. It was a dome tent. It was called Chevy Show. It was either red and white stripes or orange and white stripes.

The show was free and lasted about 20 minutes. Since it was free I attended the show many times.

You walked inside the tent in an area I will call the lobby. There were several items on display. The one I remember was an articulated Corvair engine
    ( You all remember the Corvair---before Ralph Nader? ). You could see all of the internal parts to this engine moving as an electric motor made the internal parts move.

The rest of the show was behind a curtain. Cross through the curtain and you were greeted with 40 or 50 portable chairs. The floor was the asphalt of the parking lot. Up front and center was a white cone that was about 10-15 feet in diameter. The conical shape was not centered; It was offset.

This cone was a movie screen. The lights were turned down and the movie started. What was so cool about this movie set up was that you could "feel" it. There were several scenes that were shown.

I don't remember all of the scenes but I can talk about 3 of them.

1) There were two Corvettes blasting at high speed down the concrete highway that had be to GM's proving grounds. We, the audience, were "riding" in the chase vehicle behind the two Vettes. All of a sudden the Vettes hit a low spot in the road and you could see the the suspension working. And then we crossed over the low spot. At that moment I was pushed down into my chair. It was an involuntary movement. The Vettes hit the bump and we hit the bump and were pushed into our chairs. Very strange feeling. Very cool feeling.

2) The next scene was in Cypress Gardens in Florida. We are in a power boat that is chasing some professional water skiers. The skiers were doing what pro skiers do when they are putting on a show. One of the skiers is attached to a kite and goes airborne. And then the next thing we know, we are in the air riding that kite. It was a real cool feeling, to be airborne, but your shoes are still on the asphalt.
    3) Now we are flying along at the Rainbow Bridge in Utah. And then we fly under this rock bridge. It was cool to be making that flight. That is all I can remember about it.

The only thing I have been able to find about this Chevy Show are pics of these two tractor-trailer rigs moving down the highway.

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.59.30 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-11-21 at 8.59.30 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.11.54 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.11.54 PM (resized).png

It was such a cool show that it has stayed with me all of these years. As noted, it was free. I was a kid with no money. The movie was way cool so I would go out the exit and go back in front and get in line again. And again and...

Does anybody else remember this Chevy Show I am talking about?

#2455 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You Know You Are Old When. . . you buy a convertible Corvette

Glad to see you back alive and well, Vid.

#2456 3 years ago

You Know You Are Old When. . . You think that Blaupunkt is a good brand for car stereos

#2457 3 years ago

You Know You Are Old When. . . you think The Shining was a good movie.

#2458 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How many remember when people had front yard lighst that were lit with gas? 24/7 those gas lights stayed lit. And now, come to think of it, I have not seen a front yard light in either gas or electric for years.

Stop over at my place and you'll see one. I went out and took a picture for you. (Its gas).

5J5A6114 (resized).JPG5J5A6114 (resized).JPG
    #2459 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You Know You Are Old When. . . you think The Shining was a good movie.

I never thought Shining was a good movie. It. was sort of like Sybil with Sally Fields. Sybil gave Sally Fields a vehicle to display her various acting abilities and Shining gave Jack Nicholson room to display his acting abilities. I did not favor either movie.

I never really understood what Five Easy Pieces with Nicholson and Karen Black was about except for some guy going back to visit his home place.

#2460 3 years ago

You Know You Are Old When. . . you say "She would be so hot, except for the blue hair"

#2461 3 years ago

You Know You Are Old When. . . you say "She would be so hot, except for the tats"

#2462 3 years ago

You Know You Are Old When. . . you've said "I never watch the Grammys, it's all Rap"

#2463 3 years ago

You Know You Are Old When. . . your grill burns Propane

#2464 3 years ago

You Know You Are Old When. . . you look forward to going on a cruise

#2465 3 years ago

You Know You Are Old When. . . you use Facebook

#2466 3 years ago

You Know You Are Old When. . . You write in cursive inside holiday cards

#2467 3 years ago

The Chevy show used to be at Six Flags near St. Louis. It was a near permanent display. Loved going there when I was a kid. Great memories.

#2468 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I never thought Shining was a good movie. It. was sort of like Sybil with Sally Fields. Sybil gave Sally Fields a vehicle to display her various acting abilities and Shining gave Jack Nicholson room to display his acting abilities. I did not favor either movie.
    I never really understood what Five Easy Pieces with Nicholson and Karen Black was about except for some guy going back to visit his home place.

It was terrible casting considering it was about Jack's slow descent into madness.

Yet Nicholson's last big hit prior was One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest set in an asylum.

So everyone went in with the preconception that RP McMurphy becomes caretaker of a regular hotel and does what comes naturally.

#2469 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

The Chevy show used to be at Six Flags near St. Louis. It was a near permanent display. Loved going there when I was a kid. Great memories.

So you know what I am talking about with the movies that made you move in your chair. Yes ? I guess it was sort of like a mini IMAX movie, perhaps?

#2470 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You Know You Are Old When. . . you say "She would be so hot, except for the blue hair"

“Blue!”

919F7876-7F19-40A0-B48B-470447104244 (resized).jpeg919F7876-7F19-40A0-B48B-470447104244 (resized).jpeg
    #2471 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Does anybody else remember this Chevy Show I am talking about?

Quoted from Billc479:

I remember the Chevy Show! We went to Six Flags with the whole family in 1976. That was the year the Screaming Eagle Roller Coaster, the tallest and fastest Roller Coaster in the world at the time opened. I was either too short or young to ride it, but by older brother did, and they gave out metal badges that season proclaiming you rode the Screaming Eagle.

The Chevy Show had bench seating with no backs. I remember the last part was as if you were driving down the road, first person, and at the very end you went around a curve and there was a stopped Chevy (Corvette?) in front of you and the camera abruptly stopped behind it. I was startled and flew backwards, arms flailing and I took my Dad down with me. The entire place roared with laughter!

#2472 3 years ago

When your only electronic messaging is email.
    Aol.com
    No facebook, twitter or others.
    No paypal
    And your only sale outlet is craigslist

#2473 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You Know You Are Old When. . . You think that Blaupunkt is a good brand for car stereos

Had one in my 74 Beetle, great car!!

#2474 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You Know You Are Old When. . . You write in cursive inside holiday cards

When you mail Holiday cards.

My mom mails a card for my birthday, holidays, etc. every year. I appreciate the gesture but I live about 10 minutes away and probably see the folks twice a week -- I don't understand the use of the postal service to accomplish the delivery (when I'm right there!).

#2475 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I see or hear the word Blaupunkt and can't help but think of:

"I got a Porsche already; a 911 with a quadraphonic Blaupunkt."

"You don't NEED a quadraphonic Blaupunkt!
    What you NEED is a curveball!"

Calvin LaLoosh and Crash Davis
    Bull Durham

#2476 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rezdog:

Is that a phone or a sex toy?

Depends how high on the wall it's mounted.

#2477 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You Know You Are Old When. . . your grill burns Propane

I have to admit it took me a minute to understand this one.

I was stumped, struggling to think, what hip, new method replaced propane to heat grills?

But eventually I got it. Obviously I'm old.
    s-l400 (2) (resized).jpgs-l400 (2) (resized).jpg

#2478 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You Know You Are Old When. . . you say "She would be so hot, except for the tats"

Tats? What are those? I know about tattoos.

Merch? I know about merchandise.

I'm not "gonna" do anything. I am going to go play some pinball.

I don't know know whathcu wanna do. I want to take a trip. Do you want to take a trip?

Thanks to close captioning, multitudes of people are learning to spell English as "wanna" and "gonna".

And I am still trying to figure out why sugar is not spelled as "shuger".

#2479 3 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I have to admit it took me a minute to understand this one.
    I was stumped, struggling to think, what hip, new method replaced propane to heat grills?
    But eventually I got it. Obviously I'm old.
    [quoted image]

Thanks for helping me with figuring that one out.

#2480 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

And I am still trying to figure out why sugar is not spelled as "shuger".

From only seeing his name in print, for years I seriously thought "Suge" Knight was pronounced "sooj."

#2481 3 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

From only seeing his name in print, for years I seriously thought "Suge" Knight was pronounced "sooj."

You're old if you don't know who that is. I don't, had to google.

#2482 3 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

You're old if you don't know who that is. I don't, had to google.

I couldn't name one thing he's done, I just saw the name here and there.

How should it be spelled? Sug? Shug? Shoog? I just know it shouldn't be Suge. That e implies a long u.

#2483 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billc479:

Quoted from cottonm4:

So you know what I am talking about with the movies that made you move in your chair. Yes ? I guess it was sort of like a mini IMAX movie, perhaps?

Quoted from ReadyPO:

I remember the Chevy Show! We went to Six Flags with the whole family in 1976. That was the year the Screaming Eagle Roller Coaster, the tallest and fastest Roller Coaster in the world at the time opened. I was either too short or young to ride it, but by older brother did, and they gave out metal badges that season proclaiming you rode the Screaming Eagle.
    The Chevy Show had bench seating with no backs. I remember the last part was as if you were driving down the road, first person, and at the very end you went around a curve and there was a stopped Chevy (Corvette?) in front of you and the camera abruptly stopped behind it. I was startled and flew backwards, arms flailing and I took my Dad down with me. The entire place roared with laughter!

Well, we are 3 strong. Maybe Google will step up

#2484 3 years ago

I remember being at the 64 worlds fair in Queens NY and seeing a guy flying with a jet pack.

#2485 3 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

I remember being at the 64 worlds fair in Queens NY and seeing a guy flying with a jet pack.

He was visiting from 60 years in the future:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/14/us/jetpack-guy-back-lax-trnd/index.html

#2486 3 years ago

When you run across yet another one of those commercials for burial and funeral insurance but this time you think, "hey, this idea is starting to make sense."

#2487 3 years ago

You remember movie scenes that were shot in a restaurant and the waiter carries a telephone (with the cord dragging) to the VIP character and sets it down in front of his steak and potatoes.

#2488 3 years ago

I’m not getting the propane grill joke, but I do remember when our house had a patio grill hooked up to the gas line. We had a gas lamp out in the front yard by the walkway, too, for that "country in the city" style.

#2489 3 years ago

Old people will always have a propane grill, so it can run out of fuel mid-cook or constantly need tank exchanging.

Young people use charcoal

#2490 3 years ago

When I was a kid my dad started a company called Patio Queen. Our patio was surrounded by gas heaters,Gas lights and gas broiler( grill).

#2491 3 years ago

Now wait a minute Vid!
    When i was a kid, all there was to grill with WAS charcoal.
    My cousin couldnt wait for lighter fluid so he lit it with leaded gasoline

#2492 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Old people will always have a propane grill, so it can run out of fuel mid-cook or constantly need tank exchanging.
    Young people use charcoal

I guess that makes me young. I have been too cheap to buy a propane grill.

#2493 3 years ago

Grill Taste Hierarchy:

Hardwood>Lump Charcoal>Charcoal Briquets>Natural Gas>Propane

cq_ck_1602626151456 (resized).jpgcq_ck_1602626151456 (resized).jpg
    #2494 3 years ago

Agreed

#2495 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Old people will always have a propane grill

I went 100% charcoal when propane became so damn expensive.

And you know you are old when you complain about how much everything costs.

#2496 3 years ago

How many remember the black Ford sedan with a blue "bubble gum machine" on the roof, with gold lettering on the doors "Truant Officer"?

#2497 3 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Grill Taste Hierarchy:

Hardwood>Lump Charcoal>Charcoal Briquets>Natural Gas>Propane

Out of curiosity, what does one grill with in Yemen. . . Acacias / Palms? (or do you use propane? )

#2498 3 years ago

The funniest, and most true thing about getting old is the "you can no longer trust a fart" saying. (2 nights ago I confess).

The saddest things are your parents, relatives, etc., that are even older than you, and can no longer remember anything longer than 5 minutes.

BUT, they may can still remember something that happened 30 years ago like it was yesterday, but something current, they ask the same question 5 minutes later, because they forgot already what you told them 5 minutes ago.

Just live life to the fullest you can, and enjoy every minute of it you can, because life is short.

We all pretty much start our early years in diapers, and end up back in diapers in our older years. IF we are lucky enough to have lived that long.

The joint pains and root canals and so many things suck as we get older, but at least most everyone here has some awesome games to play.

I wish all of you the best always!

And I hope to never hear any more sad news here for many more years.

I miss Terry, (Who-Dey). rip friend.

At this point, with all of us getting older, I wish Robin would start a Pinside Memorial thread, or even a Hall Of Fame to honor members here as we pass.

Anyway, sorry, I hope to be back to just being funny again soon.

#2499 3 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Out of curiosity, what does one grill with in Yemen. . . Acacias / Palms? (or do you use propane? )

Traditionally, people often grill with a hole in the ground, like people in the southern US do when they have a pig roast. The coals stay hot, the meat stays super juicy, and you dig the pot out of the sand when done. Almost a tandoor, but not as formal.

There are lots of regular grills and wood fired ovens too

There are still real spice markets, so you get super fresh spices and real saffron from Iran (in the states, 100% of the saffron is fake)

#2500 3 years ago

You're old when you remember "The Wizard of Oz" being only in black and white.

There are 7,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 50 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/50?hl=dcp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.