1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 1,411 posts
  • 233 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 231 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Unknown (resized).jpg
    97308700d81551e29a0a0d1348ba98fea97d22bb (resized).jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    220px-Farrah_Fawcett_iconic_pinup_1976.jpg
    download (4) (resized).jpg
    index(5).jpg
    HS1.jpg
    pass2 (resized).png
    groucho (resized).jpeg
    Father-knows-best (resized).jpg
    51gdTv0DYNL (resized).jpg
    index(6).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpg
    imgres (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    download (resized).jpg

There are 1411 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 29.
    #201 1 year ago

Radio/Television programs I tune into are surrounded by advertisements for male enhancement products, reverse mortgages, and life insurance. Sometimes there are even "As seen on TV" products and the worst part is I actually find some of them interesting/potentially useful.

Another advanced age indicator is when Velcro "laced" shoes start becoming attractive.

#202 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

How about programming on paper tape or Hollerith punch cards.

My 1st job out of tech school was working on keypunch machines!! 80 & 96 column cards

#203 1 year ago
    Quoted from nvu4prod:

When you look in the mirror, and you discover your looking more like your Dad!

As my hair keeps growing I'm looking more like my daughter.

#204 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Emacs and edline editors. Kermit protocol and when z-modem came out it was the first file transfer protocol that would pick up the file download where you left off when you lost your 300 baud connection. It was great for the huge 100kb files you were downloading from your local BBS.
    I worked for ITT in the 80's and my remote computer was a 300 baud acoustic couple, thermal paper terminal. You had to shove the old-style phone in the back into two rubber cups.

Yep. Punched Hollerith cards for Fortean and COBOL. Had the modem. Accessed the BBS. Mainly to download ASCII art of naked women. When we went from 300 baud to 1200 baud it was like a revolution.

#205 1 year ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Emacs and edline editors. Kermit protocol and when z-modem came out it was the first file transfer protocol that would pick up the file download where you left off when you lost your 300 baud connection. It was great for the huge 100kb files you were downloading from your local BBS.
    I worked for ITT in the 80's and my remote computer was a 300 baud acoustic couple, thermal paper terminal. You had to shove the old-style phone in the back into two rubber cups.

Yup and DEC PDP-11 archatecture. First “state of the art” PLC’s I programmed were AB PLC2’s.

#206 1 year ago

I think all this working on computer gibberish has a lot to do with making you old.

One of my first jobs was working at a gas station, and now I work at a converted gas station, no worse for the wear.

#207 1 year ago

When I was in college, the school had two computer modems in the learning center that were tied to the main computer at the U of M by phone lines. Everyone had to reserve time on them by the hour. Of course, without the internet, no one really needed them.

I also remember the first calculator my brother bought me when I was in trade school after college. It would add, subtract, multiply and divide. Cost $86.

#208 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

When I was in college, the school had two computer modems in the learning center that were tied to the main computer at the U of M by phone lines. Everyone had to reserve time on them by the hour. Of course, without the internet, no one really needed them.
    I also remember the first calculator my brother bought me when I was in trade school after college. It would add, subtract, multiply and divide. Cost $86.

looked like this, didn't it

abacus (resized).jpg
    #209 1 year ago

Im listening to Bobby Darin right now. Does that make me old?

#210 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

A TI I bet. I had the same one and it was amazing.

#211 1 year ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Don't remember. What I do remember was walking across the carpet on a cold winter night with leather slippers on and reaching to turn it on.

The static was like a lightning bolt. Fried the living shit out of the f'ing thing!

#212 1 year ago
    Quoted from Marvin:

looked like this, didn't it
    [quoted image]

Don't be a dick, Marvin!!

#213 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Don't remember. What I do remember was walking across the carpet on a cold winter night with leather slippers on and reaching to turn it on.
    The static was like a lightning bolt. Fried the living shit out of the f'ing thing!

Now thats funny shit right there.

#214 1 year ago

I also used to give plasma at the local donor center in college for beer money. $10 the first time you gave in a week and $15 if you gave a second time in that same week. I forget what a case cost, but we drank a lot of it....just cause we could, I guess.

#215 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I also used to give plasma at the local donor center in college for beer money. $10 the first time you gave in a week and $15 if you gave a second time in that same week. I forget what a case cost, but we drank a lot of it....just cause we could, I guess.

You could be my long lost twin.

#216 1 year ago

First real job I had was in 9th grade at a local corner grocery store (that alone tells you my age). It paid $1 an hour. My wife (girlfriend at the time) had it way better at the local DQ. She got $1.50.

When I was 10, Dilly bars at the DQ were .10. That'd be a dime. Anytime we went somewhere where there were pay phones (again, that tells you my age) I always checked the coin return slots. I ate a lot of free Dilly bars.

I could go on all day!

#217 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

First real job I had was in 9th grade at a local corner grocery store (that alone tells you my age). It paid $1 an hour. My wife (girlfriend at the time) had it way better at the local DQ. She got $1.50.
    When I was 10, Dilly bars at the DQ were .10. That'd be a dime. Anytime we went somewhere where there were pay phones (again, that tells you my age) I always checked the coin return slots. I ate a lot of free Dilly bars.
    I could go on all day!

I used to get a dollar a week allowance and had to work quite a bit to get it. In the late sixties you could get 4 tacos and a drink for a buck.

#218 1 year ago

I used to stuff a napkin in the coin return and a day later I had money for the 2 pins that were in, you guess it, the penny candy store.

#219 1 year ago

One more than I'm done. I went to a private college here in the Twin Cities. I won't say what year. Tuition, room and board was $3200 the first year. It went up $200 each year. After 4 years, my student loan debt was $1600.

Today, that same school would cost you a little better than $40,000 each year.

#220 1 year ago

You only play EM pins cause everything else is too damned fast.
    Bands you loved growing up are releasing 40th anniversary editions of their albums.

#221 1 year ago
    Quoted from dhutton:

Bands you loved growing up are releasing 40th anniversary editions of their albums.

And pinball machines to go along with that.

#222 1 year ago

You contemplate who will help you set up a new pin.

LTG : )

#223 1 year ago

When Readers Digest suddenly becomes interesting....

#224 1 year ago

When I make a phone call or read a text I have to lift my sunglasses for some reason.

#225 1 year ago

Ear hairs and other body hair is going grey and I mean all hair.

#226 1 year ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

When I make a phone call or read a text

... when your phone doesn't have the ability to text.

#227 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

... when your phone doesn't have the ability to text.

Better yet, when YOU don't have the ability to text. (I'm talking about my parents here.)

#228 1 year ago

When you used to taunt the ol man who'd yell "GET OFF MY F*KN LAWN" and can now relate.

#229 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I did it at penn state, took the $10 and had beers at ratskeller down the road.

First time I knew I was old when daughter texted from her room upstairs to bring her some water...

#230 1 year ago

Man getting old is a bitch. Major things I have noticed is I now prefer to listen to talk radio while driving, and now like to watch documentaries over other options on TV. I am in no hurry and usually drive the speed limit, now I get pissed when someone tailgates me or cuts me off because they are in a hurry. I look at the local events publication and do not know who any of the new bands and artist are, definitely living in the past when it comes to music. Having to wake up and take a piss in the middle of the night, and barely able to hold it for an extended period. Feel like Elmer Fudd trying to chase rabbits off my lawn.

#231 1 year ago

One of my son's friends said to me: " I love coming to your house, Mr. Schultz. It's like a museum! "

E

#232 1 year ago

My latest achievement is old timer 1. I guess pinside is telling me something.

#233 1 year ago

When you stop to pick a penny up off the ground. . .

#234 1 year ago
    Quoted from electricsquirrel:

One of my son's friends said to me: " I love coming to your house, Mr. Schultz. It's like a museum! "
    E

This one cracked me up! That is awesome.

#235 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Don't be a dick, Marvin!!

it's my job.
    but you really do like me.

#236 1 year ago

the old lady you are helping cross the street is your wife!

#238 1 year ago

When you no longer care that you are driving a low maintenance piece of shit instead of a hot car, but your high school age daughter will not ride with you.

#239 1 year ago

You know you are old when
    you start looking at pinball
    machines the way you used to look at girls.

#240 1 year ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Wondering if it's worth the headache or expense ... yet still wanting it?

#241 1 year ago

When your pinball collection reminds you of the posters you had on your bedroom wall back in Jr. high.

#242 1 year ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When your pinball collection reminds you of the posters you had on your bedroom wall back in Jr. high.

Wait....never mind....

download-4 (resized).jpeg
    #243 1 year ago
    Quoted from erak:

You Remember either of these.[quoted image][quoted image]

Ha! My sister was taken to downtown Detroit on a Streetcar to Hudson's for her first haircut. Yes, they had similar elevators with operators in each car.

When it was my turn, the streetcars were gone and the tracks were already shipped to Japan for scrapping.

#244 1 year ago

When you realize you're older than all the pins in your collection and your newest is from 1976.

#245 1 year ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

Rockwell calculators.

#246 1 year ago

When you get on the elevator and recognize the music. You can name the artist, the song and the album. Hell, you even have that album on vinyl.

#247 1 year ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

passing on it because you don't have the energy to lift it or the patience to properly maintain it.

#248 1 year ago

You remember how to set the presets on an old american car w/a push button am radio. And you remember changing the points out on your car that burns ethyl only!!!!!!!

#249 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinkid:

ou remember how to set the presets on an old american car w/a push button am radio.

I remember that , pull than push back in.

#250 1 year ago

You feel stiff on the morning, but on all the wrong places

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    Pinball Machine
    Monster Bash Remake Out of stock
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.99
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 279.95
    Cabinet - Toppers
    COINTAKER.COM
    $ 135.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 6,450.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 89.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 209.99
    $ 34.50
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    The MOD Couple
    $ 229.99
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    There are 1411 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 29.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside