Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,611 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    There are 7,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 153.
    #1651 3 years ago

Dont cook tonight get, Chicken Delight !

#1652 3 years ago

Ahhhh,those were the days my friend,we thought they would never end!

#1653 3 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Well... This could go in the Elvira's Haunted House topic, but its applicable her as well.
    You know you're old when you are talking about your pinballs to your family and then one of your younger brothers(only younger by about 10 years) askes "Who is Elvira?"... C'mon MAN!!!!!!
    I replied the hostest with the mostest. The Mistress of the night, the queen of the macabre...
    The ignorance of youth knows no bounds.

Seemed to me she was pretty much everywhere. Someone paid for me to play in a celebrity golf tournament. My group included Rhonda Shear. I had never heard of her. A b version Elvira? But she was so nice. And funny. At the end of the 3 day tournament she invited me with her new husband to eat dinner with her "slutty sister" or something like that they called her.
    I'm feeling old when I mentioned to my son in law that Eddie Haskell was an inspiration to my generation and he replied, "Who is that".

#1654 3 years ago
    Quoted from hawkmoon:

Ahhhh,those were the days my friend,we thought they would never end!

The days of Milkman deliveries and drive-ins seems so long ago now.

#1655 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

The days of Milkman deliveries and drive-ins seems so long ago now.

Instead we have marijuana delivery and Netflix.

#1656 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

and drive-ins seems so long ago now.

I have two drive-ins not far from me. I guess I am lucky.

#1657 3 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

I have two drive-ins not far from me. I guess I am lucky.

Only 330 left in the US now.

#1658 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:Instead we have marijuana delivery

Back in 1970 I had a cop search me and found my pot, 1/2 an oz. I was really scared as pot back then carried 20 to 40yrs but he poured it out into the river and told me to get my ass out of there and never let him see me there again. I got the hell outta there!

#1659 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Back in 1970 I had a cop search me and found my pot, 1/2 an oz. I was really scared as pot back then carried 20 to 40yrs but he poured it out into the river and told me to get my ass out of there and never let him see me there again. I got the hell outta there!

I had something similar happen. I know that brand of fear.

#1660 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

A cop pulled me over one night with a few buddies in the car, found my pipe and a small bag. He hands me the pipe and says "See how far you can throw that", so I whipped it into a field. Then he told us to get the hell out of there. He kept the bag.

#1661 3 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

...you watch a morning, afternoon or late night talk show and you haven't the damnedest idea who the hell 98% of the guests are or why the host(s) are famous enough to have their own show. Same with any and all of the celebrities that they gossip about on TMZ.

And half of those "celebrities" are just famous for being famous - who gives a flying fuc$ what a Kardashian is doing???

#1662 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

20-40 wow that's steep!

#1663 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

In 1994 I finished a round of golf at my old country club in Tucson. Car rolls up, lowers window and yells out Drop Those Clubs. FBI. Then they laugh. No guns drawn. An hour later the lead agent tells me I'm looking at 85 years or something. (for pot) (alot pot) I responded that I was sorry but I didn't have that much time left. I was already 35 years old. I wouldn't describe the feeling as scared as it was probably more of survival mode. I was fortunate to be taken to a federal prison that day that had a pre trial area where I knew people who made it as easy as possible for me.

#1664 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I had something similar happen. I know that brand of fear.

Shit I was only 15yrs old then so the prospect of 20yrs locked up was not in my plans. I just got lucky really the cop gave me a break.

#1665 3 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Shit I was only 15yrs old then so the prospect of 20yrs locked up was not in my plans. I just got lucky really the cop gave me a break.

Dumbest shit ever that they could give someone that type of draconian sentence. But they did sometimes.

#1666 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

Dumbest shit ever that they could give someone that type of draconian sentence. But they did sometimes.

There was a time in Minneapolis ( 1960's ) if the cops got tired of dealing with you, they'd haul you down and you could enlist or got to jail.

LTG : )

#1667 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

There was a time in Minneapolis ( 1960's ) if the cops got tired of dealing with you, they'd haul you down and you could enlist or got to jail.

And many ended up at Camp Pendelton here locally. There was an awful lot of marines here back then that told the same type of story from all over the country.

#1668 3 years ago
    Quoted from jamesmc:

And many ended up at Camp Pendelton here locally. There was an awful lot of marines here back then that told the same type of story from all over the country.

I was in the navy and stationed with lots of marines. There were several who had been given the option of jail or the marines.

That is also how Gunnery Sgt. R. Lee Ermy ( Full Metal Jacket, Mail Call) wound up in the marines.

#1669 3 years ago

A friend of mine ended up in the Marines that way.

2 weeks later
    #1670 3 years ago

When you can make it through this whole thing.

#1671 3 years ago

When that truck you bought when you was a teen, that you have been using as a spare forever, gets comments at the gas station while you are filling it up like "wow, you don't see many of those anymore, I am surprised it still runs".

#1672 3 years ago

When forcing a fart becomes risky business.

Nothing ruins a day more than shitting your pants as hard as you can.

#1673 3 years ago
    Quoted from Md2020:

When forcing a fart becomes risky business.

I know all about that. I have heard when you get older you can no longer trust a fart, and I agree 100%.

And a lot of times that sucks, you find a bathroom/restroom, thinking you are about to explode with shit, and no, it was just air, and could have been done a long time ago without all the suffering.

A lot of things about getting old sucks, and farts are a very major part of all that.

I put farts as #2, (no pun intended), behind what your teeth does, and the greedy dentists waiting for you to pay them a visit. (my teeth are fine at the moment, but I have seen what others have been through).

#1674 3 years ago

When the Bay City Rollers are state of the art.

#1675 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When the Bay City Rollers are state of the art.

Holy Cow, are they in middle school when this photo was taken?
    S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y Night....

#1676 3 years ago

I find the best part about this thread is that we can repost the same point multiple times. . . and it does not matter because we really don't remember when it was posted the first time!

I'm fairly certain untrustworthy flatulence and ear/nose hair have multiple mentions -- and will probably be brought up again down the road.

#1677 3 years ago

...when a fart becomes...oh, nevermind.

#1678 3 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I put farts as #2, (no pun intended), behind what your teeth does, and the greedy dentists waiting for you to pay them a visit. (my teeth are fine at the moment, but I have seen what others have been through).

Teeth. Did you say teeth. After I retired in 2014 with no kind of insurance, in 2015, I had to have a 30 old crown removed due to a cavity getting in under the crown. Cost: $2300.00.

Not long after that, the same $2300.00 tooth needed root canal. This required drilling a hole in my brand new tooth. I forgot how much this one cost me.

Tomorrow, I get to see the dentist for...drum roll...another root canal. The cost will be $1,063.00.

And lest I forget, I had to have some serious flling work done on one of my teeth in the back of my mouth. One year later, that tooth developed a crack down in a root and had to be pulled.

With what I have had to spend on dental since 2014, I could have bought a nice class A pinball machine.

#1679 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Teeth. Did you say teeth. After I retired in 2014 with no kind of insurance, in 2015, I had to have a 30 old crown removed due to a cavity getting in under the crown. Cost: $2300.00.
    Not long after that, the same $2300.00 tooth needed root canal. This required drilling a hole in my brand new tooth. I forgot how much this one cost me.
    Tomorrow, I get to see the dentist for...drum roll...another root canal. The cost will be $1,063.00.
    And lest I forget, I had to have some serious flling work done on one of my teeth in the back of my mouth. One year later, that tooth developed a crack down in a root and had to be pulled.
    With what I have had to spend on dental since 2014, I could have bought a nice class A pinball machine.

Buy a Dremel tool and a bottle of Jack.
    Same here, cracked molar that needed a crown cost $2400.

#1680 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Kind of makes you wish you had listened to your dentist when you were a kid and properly brushed AND flossed every day.

#1681 3 years ago

When you learn you are now older than this guy.

d9d842676f845762cde45b450c439fcf (resized).jpgd9d842676f845762cde45b450c439fcf (resized).jpg
    #1682 3 years ago

A quick tooth story while the topic is fresh.

I have always been a regular brusher and occasional flosser. Regularly visited the dentist thru grade/high school with one or two fillings.

Visits to the dentist stopped when I started undergrad and thru veterinary school -- too busy and I still attempted good maintenance so I thought all was well. About my second year out of vet school (probably at least 10 years since I had visited the dentist) I had one of those Jolly Rancher hard candies in my mouth. They would occasionally stick to your tooth and this one had adhered to one of my back molars. When I dislodged the Jolly Ranger with my tongue it took a significant piece of my molar with it!

Took the time to find a local dentist and they were able to save the tooth at that time with a rather large filling. Fast forward another 10 years or so and that filling was starting to fail so a root canal/crown was the next step. The best part of the story is the quote I was given for the root canal -- I asked the receptionist to write it down and about fell over when I saw $13,000 written on the paper!

To my relief an extra zero was mistakenly added. I've continued to brush and try to floss more consistently since then.

#1683 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When you learn you are now older than this guy.[quoted image]

...Or you realize that you're older than Granny was when the Beverly Hillbillies first aired.
    ...or older than Uncle Joe Carson on Petticoat Junction.

#1684 3 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I had one of those Jolly Rancher hard candies in my mouth. They would occasionally stick to your tooth and this one had adhered to one of my back molars. When I dislodged the Jolly Ranger with my tongue it took a significant piece of my molar with it!

One of my mishaps was chewing on some Milk Duds. Same thing. Pulled the back part of my tooth off. That's when I started thinking about the engineering of tooth design and dentistry. The human bite can be 162 pounds per square inch. That's a lot of pressure and stress when you try to crunch that jaw breaker. Teeth can crack.

#1685 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Uncle Joe Carson on Petticoat Junction.

Uncle Joe was dentist as well as an actor.

http://ohsu-hca.blogspot.com/2010/07/edgar-buchanan-frontier-dentist-who.html

" Moving back to Eugene, Edgar and his wife opened a private practice. From 1930-37, Edgar was chief of oral surgery at the Eugene Hospital Clinic, but managed to find time to hold a position as assistant director in the UO drama department and to found the city's Very Little Theatre."

You know you are an old fart if you remember Ipana Toothpaste

download (resized).jpgdownload (resized).jpg

#1686 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

jaw breaker. Teeth can crack.

Atomic fire ball ended up costing me 10 grand a few years ago.

#1687 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When you learn you are now older than this guy.

And his dog kept him from the devil/hell behind the first gate.

#1688 3 years ago

My sister texted a pic to the family of my dad and my niece when she was a newborn - I'm about 3 years older than my dad was in the pic. Niece is about to get married, 27 years old. Pic from 1993.

Someone stop this ride, I wanna get off.

#1689 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You know you are an old fart if you remember Ipana Toothpaste

PyCoPay (sp?), Kolynos, Ipana...
    extinct toothpaste brands.
    I think Gleem might still be around.
    Is Geritol still around?
    Carter's Little Liver Pills?
    What about Vitalis, Brylcreem, Williams 'Lectric Shave, Rise shaving cream...?

#1690 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

My sister texted a pic to the family of my dad and my niece when she was a newborn - I'm about 3 years older than my dad was in the pic. Niece is about to get married, 27 years old. Pic from 1993.

I recently had the same experience. I have an old family photo in a cabinet, and while looking at it one day, I realized that I am now older than my dad was when that picture was taken. Man, this going fast...

#1691 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Uncle Joe was dentist as well as an actor.

Yes, I knew that!

#1692 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scotty_K:

I recently had the same experience. I have an old family photo in a cabinet, and while looking at it one day, I realized that I am now older than my dad was when that picture was taken. Man, this going fast...

My wedding anniversary is coming up, and I realized that I'm older than my dad was at my wedding. He's going on 94!

#1693 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Welcome to The Hotel California. You can get off any time you like
    But you can never leave.

#1694 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Yes, I knew that!

Yeah. But I said it

#1695 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And his dog kept him from the devil/hell behind the first gate.

Yes, DirecTV provides a little info about the cast of the shows and Arthur Hunnicutt was born in 1910, making him 52 when that episode of Twilight Zone first aired in 1962.

And if the plot works, why not do it again?

PerryMason (resized).jpgPerryMason (resized).jpg
    #1696 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yes, DirecTV provides a little info about the cast of the shows and Arthur Hunnicutt was born in 1910, making him 52 when that episode of Twilight Zone first aired in 1962.
    And if the plot works, why not do it again?[quoted image]

You have DirecTV? I'm ready to dump them. $130/month for reruns and drug ads is a bit much!

#1697 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

PyCoPay (sp?), Kolynos, Ipana...
    extinct toothpaste brands.
    I think Gleem might still be around.
    Is Geritol still around?
    Carter's Little Liver Pills?
    What about Vitalis, Brylcreem, Williams 'Lectric Shave, Rise shaving cream...?

Sominex?

I still remember the jingle:
    Take sominex tonight and sleep
    safe and restful sleep, sleep, sleep.

#1698 3 years ago

Were not old, I went to my aunts 106 birthday yesterday. I feel like a kid now.

#1699 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

You have DirecTV? I'm ready to dump them. $130/month for reruns and drug ads is a bit much!

I don’t know why you hired Direct TV in the first place.

All the pay TV shows just could not keep their hands from the advertising cookie jar.

I booted cable TV in 2004 and never regretted it.

#1700 3 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't pay that much, but am considering dumping them as well and going back with antenna because there may not be a football season and that is the main reason I have it and they have been giving me Sunday Ticket free. But we also watch Nascar and half the races don't come over the air so would have to find another service for that.

All in all DirectTV has been giving me pretty good discounts with no contracts at this point. And I have been using the DVR service. Someday I may get into the 21st century and check out these streaming services.

There are 7,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 34 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/34 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.