Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,606 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by cottonm4
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    There are 7,606 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 153.
    #1501 4 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

How very sad for you cotton.
    How about we change that around to:
    "What machine will I work on today?"

Don't be sad. It is just me BS'n on a post.

But, yes, it is not untrue. It is an amazing travel going through life and realize how your thoughts change as you age.

When I was 12 I was already thinking about how to get the girl friend through 1st base to home plate (that was the metaphor in vogue when Ann Landers and Dear Abby were in every news paper in the country).

And some old lady down the street died.

At 15, I could barely wait for the driver's license, a car---and the girl friend in the back seat

At 20, I could hardly wait to turn legal and buy a drink at the bar.

And life progresses. You get married, or you don't. You buy a house. And if you did not buy a house, at some point in time your get tired of paying rent and wish you had bought a house years ago.

Some old lady down the street died.

Now, friends and family start checking out which gives you a reality check.

At around 45, you start getting tired of working and think about retiring.

And when you retire, and are getting ready to travel, or load up pins, or model trains, or whatever, it is just coming to the front of your mind that you are going to be crossing over to the new frontier, through a dark glass where no one ( who is honest) REALLY KNOWS what's on the other side.

The old lady who lived next door died.

But now, the old lady who died has a name. She was my neighbor. A friend. Not just some nameless person. So much for getting older. You are on the doorstep knowing you are going to get your turn. Embrace it. You can't run from it.
    ==========================================

As far as what pinball to work on today? Well, I am in the middle of a full shop on Dragonfist to get ready for a show. Seawitch is down as I am working on some rectifier board issues. Nine Ball has a diode problem. Catacomb has been down ever since I changed some lamp boards; I don't know what happened and have not had time to troubleshoot this issue.

I had to bunch my pins together in my small game room to access the Dragonfist shop job. I managed to slide a couple around so I could get some play action on Robocop. But right when I launched a ball, a rubber broke and blocked the shooter lane. I can't take the glass off to replace the rubber but cannot because Robo is blocked in. Munsters is playable but completely buried, as is Big Game.

I have 7 pins and cannot play a single one for a couple more days That makes you think you just want to shoot yourself and finish out on your own terms.

Which pin will I work on today? None. I have to take the girl friend's little dog to the vet this afternoon. The vet is not local. There will be some miles.

All of this verbiage just to tell you it is real. It is life. And I am having a ball.

And all of this talk has got me to thinking (I am a cheap bastard ) that an old beater of a pin cabinet might make a good casket. It is about the right size. And would be a way to flip off the funeral industry with their caskets that cost as much a car.

#1502 4 years ago

When you remember Gary, In being a nice middle class town

#1503 4 years ago

Anybody want some gum? Or a beer for later?

6D3D9F44-5731-490D-AED4-4AC76C27A105 (resized).jpeg6D3D9F44-5731-490D-AED4-4AC76C27A105 (resized).jpegDF4A2AFC-B928-4FFE-B82F-3B51BF21D81A (resized).jpegDF4A2AFC-B928-4FFE-B82F-3B51BF21D81A (resized).jpeg
    #1504 4 years ago

...when you do a really good WC Fields imitation and nobody gets it.

#1505 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Don't be sad. It is just me BS'n on a post.
    But, yes, it is not untrue. It is an amazing travel going through life and realize how your thoughts change as you age.
    When I was 12 I was already thinking about how to get the girl friend through 1st base to home plate (that was the metaphor in vogue when Ann Landers and Dear Abby were in every news paper in the country).
    At 15, I could barely wait for the driver's license, a car---and the girl friend in the back seat
    At 20, I could hardly wait to turn legal and buy a drink at the bar.
    And life progresses. You get married, or you don't. You buy a house. And if you did not buy a house, at some point in time your get tired of paying rent and wish you had bought a house years ago.
    Some old lady down the street died.
    Now, friends and family start checking out which gives you a reality check.
    At around 45, you start getting tired of working and think about retiring.
    And when you retire, and are getting ready to travel, or load up pins, or model trains, or whatever, it is just coming to the front of your mind that you are going to be crossing over to the new frontier, through a dark glass where no one ( who is honest) REALLY KNOWS what's on the other side.
    The old lady who lived next door died.
    But now, the old lady who died has a name. She was my neighbor. A friend. Not just some nameless person. So much for getting older. You are on the doorstep knowing you are going to get your turn. Embrace it. You can't run from it.
    ==========================================
    As far as what pinball to work on today? Well, I am in the middle of a full shop on Dragonfist to get ready for a show. Seawitch is down as I am working on some rectifier board issues. Nine Ball has a diode problem. Catacomb has been down ever since I changed some lamp boards; I don't know what happened and have not had time to troubleshoot this issue.
    I had to bunch my pins together in my small game room to access the Dragonfist shop job. I managed to slide a couple around so I could get some play action on Robocop. But right when I launched a ball, a rubber broke and blocked the shooter lane. I can't take the glass off to replace the rubber but cannot because Robo is blocked in. Munsters is playable but completely buried, as is Big Game.
    I have 7 pins and cannot play a single one for a couple more days That makes you think you just want to shoot yourself and finish out on your own terms.
    Which pin will I work on today? None. I have to take the girl friend's little dog to the vet this afternoon. The vet is not local. There will be some miles.
    All of this verbiage just to tell you it is real. It is life. And I am having a ball.
    And all of this talk has got me to thinking (I am a cheap bastard ) that an old beater of a pin cabinet might make a good casket. It is about the right size. And would be a way to flip off the funeral industry with their caskets that cost as much a car.

Was not expecting such commentary from you cotton but was an exceptional read...and on the mark.
    So, thanks for that.
    Take care.

#1506 4 years ago

When someone says TikTok and you think they mean Tic Tac.

#1507 4 years ago

When you spend more time napping than doing. It hasn’t happened to me yet, but average # of naps/day is approaching 1.

#1508 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaybird815:

When you remember Gary, In being a nice middle class town

When you remember Gary, as being a hip young pinball maker.

#1509 4 years ago

I love my naps! I take them anytime I can, and actually have better dreams normally with naps.

#1510 4 years ago

When cleaning out the back room, rediscovering some old stereo gear, googling it and finding out it is now considered "vintage" and is worth then same price as when you bought it new (unfortunately without considering inflation.)

#1511 4 years ago

When you sit on the toilet and think man. Why are my balls cold? Dammit my wife is right! I do have saggy old man balls!

#1512 4 years ago

When you and the Mrs. discuss if its even worth going out for Valentine's Day for dinner because its cold outside. . . but when you decide to go you make sure to get to the restaurant at 4PM to avoid all of the other people that are surely to arrive later!

#1513 4 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

When you and the Mrs. discuss if its even worth going out for Valentine's Day for dinner because its cold outside.

Funny thats the exact reason we stayed in last night.

1 month later
    #1514 4 years ago

When you experience what I did this morning. I went outside to set on my porch because it's going to be sunny and 72 in Ohio today. Well took my shirt off to get some sun when damned if I didn't noticed my dogs were looking at me and their eyes were watering WTF? Am I so white my pets eyes water looking at me lol, I told my wife I was going to sit out here until I start causing accidents or the cops show to investigate the corpse on the porch.

#1515 4 years ago

When you set down in a new barber's chair, wind up with a crappy hair cut, and you just shrug your shoulders say to yourself that "it will get better in 2 weeks".

True story.

#1516 4 years ago

When you realize that you are old enough to be one corona virus cougher from dying.

#1517 4 years ago

If the phrases, "Filler up?", "you are low a quart of oil", and " I'll take a dollar's worth of regular" rings any bells.

#1518 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

When you experience what I did this morning. I went outside to set on my porch because it's going to be sunny and 72 in Ohio today. Well took my shirt off to get some sun when damned if I didn't noticed my dogs were looking at me and their eyes were watering WTF? Am I so white my pets eyes water looking at me lol, I told my wife I was going to sit out here until I start causing accidents or the cops show to investigate the corpse on the porch.

Quoted from cottonm4:

When you set down in a new barber's chair, wind up with a crappy hair cut, and you just shrug your shoulders say to yourself that "it will get better in 2 weeks".
    True story.

You know you are old when...
    you start saying "set" instead of "sit."

#1519 4 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

I'm just waiting for my hair to grow back.

#1520 4 years ago

Hot peanuts..anyone?

I remember these on the bar top, filled with Spanish peanuts, had to buy one and actually got 2.

IMG_09812 (resized).jpgIMG_09812 (resized).jpg
    #1521 4 years ago

Perfect for that shorty coke, loved peanuts in my soda!

#1522 4 years ago

.....when you remember family and friends telling you stories of living through the Spanish Flu of 1918.

#1523 4 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

You know you are old when...

pinside (resized).jpgpinside (resized).jpg
    #1524 4 years ago

Old as drit lol

#1525 4 years ago

...when you buy gasoline for $1.25 and you realize that gas hasn’t been that cheap since 1980 when you were in 10th grade!

Oh and by the way... thanks Vladimir Puten!

#1526 4 years ago

When your Mom and Dad would send you to the store with a note to buy cigarettes for them, $.35 cent a pack and that's not counting the two cents you got back in each pack.

Pop bottles were my primary wage earnings back then

#1527 4 years ago

With my Kroger discount, I paid 84.9 cents yesterday. However, I remember 16.9 cents in the sixties.

#1528 4 years ago

The moment you realize nothing has really changed, you're still going out the same way you came in, baldheaded and screaming.

#1529 4 years ago

Then over a buck in the 70s. Waiting in line if it was your odd or even license plate # day. Thankfully it was 68.9 cents when I started buying in the 80s

#1530 4 years ago

When the music being piped in at the restaurant you are eating at is just too dawgone LOUD!

And then your early twenties son tells you
    "Dad, it's not that loud, you're just gettin old"

#1531 4 years ago
    Quoted from hlaj78:

With my Kroger discount, I paid 84.9 cents yesterday. However, I remember 16.9 cents in the sixties.

From the back seat of our car in 1966 or 1967, I remember my dad driving to the nearby gas station, pulling right up close to the pumps and asking me if I could see the price for regular (leaded!) on the pump. They were in the process of changing the big sign but hadn't hauled the new numbers up on the crane yet. When I told him it said 35 cents, he stepped on the accelerator pedal and zoomed out of there, while raising his voice and saying "J---s C----t that's f---ing outrageous!" - nearly running over the toes of the attendant who had just come over hoping to pump some gas for us.

#1532 4 years ago

You know you are old, when Wisdom, with age, gets shot down by youth with rhetoric.

#1533 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

You know you are old, when Wisdom, with age, gets shot down by youth with rhetoric.

So true. Especially now that the once adoring kids that though every thing you said or did was great now in their teens question and debate every thing you do...rhetoric

#1534 4 years ago

You know you are old
    hopefully
    when you die

#1535 4 years ago

Your birthday falls during coronavirus and the celebrations stay the same. None.

#1536 4 years ago

When you mow your grass in your pajamas.

#1537 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

When you mow your grass in your pajamas.

I have not done that yet, but I do step out one the front porch to get my mail. I don't even bother to look to see if the neighbors were out

#1538 4 years ago

I routinely take the trash bins to the curb or get my mail from my mailbox on the curb
    in my sleepware (normally T-shirt and lounge pants, if its cold maybe a bathrobe too)
    and we live on a fairly busy street (don't care, wife thinks I am fool.)

#1539 4 years ago

And slippers...

20200329_124945 (resized).jpg20200329_124945 (resized).jpg
    #1540 4 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Your birthday falls during coronavirus and the celebrations stay the same. None.

Happy birthday

#1541 4 years ago
    Quoted from stavio:And slippers...[quoted image]

Aahhh... slippers

#1542 4 years ago

Yes. Slippers.

When you need new pair and the kind you grew up with, the kind you like, the kind you want, are longer available at a local store. Now they are considered vintage and only to be found on Ebay for too much money.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 12.44.38 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-29 at 12.44.38 PM (resized).png

#1543 4 years ago

IMG_20200329_144207068 (resized).jpgIMG_20200329_144207068 (resized).jpg
    Like I said
    Aahhh... slippers

#1544 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

don't care, wife thinks I am fool.

We are in the same club.

#1545 4 years ago

I remember when bars were like 50 degrees during the summer. Almost too cold to be in them.

LTG : )

#1546 4 years ago

When you are afraid to leave your house.

When you see the grim reaper as you enter a supermarket.

When you won't eat take out food.

When you decide to go ahead and do the census thing so you won't get any more letters.

#1547 4 years ago

When this is your theme song.

LTG : )

#1548 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

.....when you remember family and friends telling you stories of living through the Spanish Flu of 1918.

True dat! My grandmother on my mother's side was having babies when all that was going on. Two older sisters for mom.

She said she always ate an onion a day and never got sick.

#1549 4 years ago

Yep. Just talked to mom and she said one sister born in 1918 and one in 1920. She sounds pretty chipper right now.

I guess you are old if you were born in 1922. Not so old if you can remember all that.

#1550 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

When you decide to go ahead and do the census thing so you won't get any more letters.

When you do the online census thing and when the question requests you enter your birth year. . . . and you have to scroll down a lot farther that it seems you should to find your year.

There are 7,606 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/31?hl=therudyb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.