Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,620 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by JethroP
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    There are 7,620 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 153.
    #1451 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Did you get the discount or did the shop think you were trying to game the system

I was in line at Carls Jr. and the guy in front of me asked for the discount. I asked how old do yo have to be? When they said 55, I said well I'll take that discount too.

Burger wasn't that great, so I haven't been back there since.

#1452 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dr-pin:

When artists you followed and enjoyed your whole life dies.

some die young....

#1453 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

You know you are old if ...
    This is you riding the elevator.[quoted image]

LOL!!!

#1454 4 years ago

When you have pickled eggs in your bar fridge..you ask friends if they want 1, and the odd one says ‘what’s that? I’ve never tried one..’

#1455 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I was in line at Carls Jr. and the guy in front of me asked for the discount. I asked how old do yo have to be? When they said 55, I said well I'll take that discount too.
    Burger wasn't that great, so I haven't been back there since.

When I turned 55 a lot of the senior discounts moved from 55 to 60. And now thaI am old enough that my age won't let me be "bumped" most of the age based discounts have disappeared. I suppose it is the curse of the boomers

#1456 4 years ago

...when you have had more than 5 free birthday dinners at Dennys.

#1457 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

...when you have had more than 5 free birthday dinners at Dennys.

You convinced me with the first birthday dinner at Denny’s. Five dinners makes you ancient.

#1458 4 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

You know you are old if ...
    This is you riding the elevator.[quoted image]

You know you are old if....you confuse an escalator for an elevator.....

#1459 4 years ago

You remember sitting at a bar with a 5 or a 10, and actually being able to drink for awhile!! Lunch included!

#1460 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

You know you are old if....you confuse an escalator for an elevator.....

... so that’s the way an escalator is supposed to work? Looks like I’ve been missing all the fun and will have to try it out.

#1461 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I started on an old IBM 360, before it was upgraded to a 370.
    The 370 had up to 8 Megabytes of memory![quoted image]

I did the Fortran and Cobol punch card thing. You would whip up your program, sit at the machine and punch out your cards, then put a rubber band around them and submit it to the big computer behind the glass walls.

There was a big clock with moveable hands on the wall and it would be set for the current wait time. It could be a few hours or more than a day depending on scheduling of the classes.

There was a wall of shelves organized by letter of your last name. You would walk in there to grab your pack of cards and your printout with the results.

As you walked in, you would eyeball your stack of papers. You wanted to see a stack of papers, maybe a few pages or a few dozen. If you saw one single sheet or a giant pile of sheets then you knew right then that you f-ed up. One sheet meant you messed it up right at the beginning and nothing ran. A big pile meant you had a runaway loop.

#1462 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

I did the Fortran and Cobol punch card thing. You would whip up your program, sit at the machine and punch out your cards, then put a rubber band around them and submit it to the big computer behind the glass walls.
    There was a big clock with moveable hands on the wall and it would be set for the current wait time. It could be a few hours or more than a day depending on scheduling of the classes.
    There was a wall of shelves organized by letter of your last name. You would walk in there to grab your pack of cards and your printout with the results.
    As you walked in, you would eyeball your stack of papers. You wanted to see a stack of papers, maybe a few pages or a few dozen. If you saw one single sheet or a giant pile of sheets then you knew right then that you f-ed up. One sheet meant you messed it up right at the beginning and nothing ran. A big pile meant you had a runaway loop.

It did not happen to me but an unknown classmate dropped his box with all of his COBOL cards. He had a mess.

#1463 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

It did not happen to me but an unknown classmate dropped his box with all of his COBOL cards. He had a mess.

Your first card I think was called your title card or something like that. It had your name, ID number, class number, etc.

I took the classes as electives just for the fun of it. Beginning Fortran was mildly challenging, Cobol was a piece of cake. I had a friend who was a business major and they had to pass the Cobol class as a requirement. He had flunked it twice and was in for the third time, failing again. I cut him a break on one assignment, I gave him my complete set of cards that had already run successfully, but I told him he was going to have to punch his own title card and submit it. He couldn't do it, he kept failing it because he couldn't even make his title card LOL. I can't remember if he ever managed to pass that class.

#1464 4 years ago

One other thing popped into the creaky memory banks when i was thinking back about this. After you got your cards all punched and put in nice stack with a rubber band, then we would take a marker pen and make some sort of pattern or drawing along the edges of the cards. That way when you walked in the room and headed towards the shelves that were stacked with the processed jobs, you could easily spot your own amongst them all.

I can't remember specifically what I drew on the side of the cards, but I am pretty sure it was something wise-ass.

#1465 4 years ago

What was the question???

Wifee and I were out shopping the other day and I commented on an old
    guy. She said we were about the same age. And she was right!

Age is largely a state of mind and I'll stick with that as long as
    I can remember it.
    Steve

#1466 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Your first card I think was called your title card or something like that. It had your name, ID number, class number, etc.

It's called a "job card".

Quoted from xsvtoys:

After you got your cards all punched and put in nice stack with a rubber band, then we would take a marker pen and make some sort of pattern or drawing along the edges of the cards. That way when you walked in the room and headed towards the shelves that were stacked with the processed jobs, you could easily spot your own amongst them all.

I think the reason most people did this was when a deck of cards was dropped, they had some help in putting them back in the right order. A big "X" on the side edge of the cards was very effective.

#1467 4 years ago
    FB_IMG_1576355360419 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1576355360419 (resized).jpg
    #1468 4 years ago
    Quoted from WJxxxx:

[quoted image]

Yupp, the good old days, used to be able to smoke everywhere, even on the plane!!

#1469 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Yupp, the good old days, used to be able to smoke everywhere, even on the plane!!

And in your hospital room, too !

#1470 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Always found it funny when they started the non smoking section. Rows 13 to 24 were non smoking but 1 to 12 and 25 to 36 were. Like it made a difference.

#1471 4 years ago

6DCABB60-E3A0-47A5-B507-FFABE82BD0C9.jpeg6DCABB60-E3A0-47A5-B507-FFABE82BD0C9.jpeg

5701AB31-12DA-454F-967D-BD63BD80B065.jpeg5701AB31-12DA-454F-967D-BD63BD80B065.jpeg
    #1472 4 years ago

When you remember your mom and sister going swimming wearing one of these.

images (resized).jpgimages (resized).jpg

imgres (resized).jpgimgres (resized).jpg

#1473 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When you remember your mom and sister going swimming wearing one of these.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

They use to wear 'em in the shower when they didn't want to get their hair wet. Go figure...

#1474 4 years ago

In cool or rainy weather the family matriarchs would often don their babushkas. I have not seen one for some time -- perhaps its an old fashioned thing or maybe they have just fallen out of what is fashionable?

#1475 4 years ago

Not sure if just getting older or a lot more involved, but...

When I was younger I dressed to impress and wore some nice gold rings and other nice stuff. I drove the nicest truck available at the time.

Now I try to dress like a beach bum, and try to look broke, because I am afraid anymore of some young gang member hitting me blindside and trying to rob me.

I drive old shit now, so no one wants to carjack me.

Yeah, has to be a somewhat getting old thing, because when I was younger I was ready for someone to try and take my gold ring or my truck, and now I just try to look like a beach bum and stay out of the spotlight.

And long ago the rings were sold and the money was used to buy a pinball machine. My thoughts were these gang members could easily knock me in the head and take a ring, but if they break in my home I doubt they have enough sense to break the machine down enough to get it out of the room I have it in. (low overhead clearance through that door).

Another good thing about my current lifestyle is no one ever asks to borrow money from me. And I always had a firm NO anyway, I am not a bank.

I have no clue if car jackings and other stuff was going on when I was younger, but the way things are now, reminds me of:

Young and dumb, and old and wise.

I feel good and lucky that I made it through the young and dumb stages, and now that I am in the older and wiser stages I am trying to not get too paranoid.

I am at a disadvantage, or maybe not with the paranoid stuff, because all my friends are older than me, so they could be aging me faster, or just making me wiser, who knows.

Through the years I tried to be friends with people my age or younger than me, it just never worked out. My best friends have always been about 10 years older than me.

#1476 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Not sure if just getting older or a lot more involved, but...
    When I was younger I dressed to impress and wore some nice gold rings and other nice stuff. I drove the nicest truck available at the time.
    Now I try to dress like a beach bum, and try to look broke, because I am afraid anymore of some young gang member hitting me blindside and trying to rob me.
    I drive old shit now, so no one wants to carjack me.
    Yeah, has to be a somewhat getting old thing, because when I was younger I was ready for someone to try and take my gold ring or my truck, and now I just try to look like a beach bum and stay out of the spotlight.
    And long ago the rings were sold and the money was used to buy a pinball machine. My thoughts were these gang members could easily knock me in the head and take a ring, but if they break in my home I doubt they have enough sense to break the machine down enough to get it out of the room I have it in. (low overhead clearance through that door).
    Another good thing about my current lifestyle is no one ever asks to borrow money from me. And I always had a firm NO anyway, I am not a bank.
    I have no clue if car jackings and other stuff was going on when I was younger, but the way things are now, reminds me of:
    Young and dumb, and old and wise.
    I feel good and lucky that I made it through the young and dumb stages, and now that I am in the older and wiser stages I am trying to not get too paranoid.
    I am at a disadvantage, or maybe not with the paranoid stuff, because all my friends are older than me, so they could be aging me faster, or just making me wiser, who knows.
    Through the years I tried to be friends with people my age or younger than me, it just never worked out. My best friends have always been about 10 years older than me.

LOL

It is amazing the lengths and expense we go to when we a looking to get laid.

And then one day things change you are no longer enslaved by your sex drive and gets a whole lot cheaper to live

#1477 4 years ago

I echo this:

My-Childhood-Punishments-Have-Become-My-Adult-Goals (resized).jpgMy-Childhood-Punishments-Have-Become-My-Adult-Goals (resized).jpg
    #1478 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

LOL
    It is amazing the lengths and expense we go to when we a looking to get laid.
    And then one day things change you are no longer enslaved by your sex drive and gets a whole lot cheaper to live

And then instead of collecting notches on the bed post we start collecting pins.

#1479 4 years ago

You don’t make any New Years Eve plans, and have decided to stay home w the g friend (and dog) & let our oldest daughter have a few friends over instead..

#1480 4 years ago

And play pinball...

#1481 4 years ago

When pulling an all nighter means you didn't have to get up to pee.

#1482 4 years ago

When you don't know what Rick and Morty is...

#1483 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Haha ...yep ..I remember my first transatlantic flight . Sitting in the rear few rows puffing away for 8 hours ...those were simpler more cancer ridden times

#1484 4 years ago

I don’t know if it is a sign of getting old but I woke up this AM feeling like a million bucks. Maybe I just don’t party as hard as I used to?

#1485 4 years ago

When your in bed by 10pm on New Year's eve and up at 7am

#1486 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

When your in bed by 10pm on New Year's eve and up at 7am

That's not gettin' old
    that's playin' it smart!

#1487 4 years ago

When you wake up with a hangover, but didn’t drink anything last night.

#1488 4 years ago

The only reason you watch a TV show is because they made a pinball about it!

#1489 4 years ago

You finally get some sleep.

And then when you get up, your body is rejecting you.

LTG : )

1 month later
    #1490 4 years ago

When you say to your 20 something coworker, "those guys are running around like the Monkees did on their show" and he replies "the who?"

#1491 4 years ago

“Yes”

#1492 4 years ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

This was the last class I took in college and almost flunked. Since I was a business major, I wouldn’t have graduated with that grade. One misplaced comma in your code and the whole program was messed up. I hated that class.

#1493 4 years ago

No, Guess Who

#1494 4 years ago

#1495 4 years ago

A classic riff on a classic!

I knew I was old when my outlanes tightened and my plumb bob lowered.

#1496 4 years ago

When your favorite thread on pinside is discussion of weather you should be wearing flu mask or not.

#1497 4 years ago

If you are truly old you could have named those two guys in the video and their most famous roles in a flash.

Don C

#1498 4 years ago
    Quoted from Don_C:

If you are truly old you could have named those two guys in the video and their most famous roles in a flash.
    Don C

Furthermore, all you really need to do is listen... you should be able to identify the roles by their voice only!

#1499 4 years ago

When you no longer tell yourself that you are getting older; That you know you are past getting older and start your mornings wondering how many more days you have left.

#1500 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When you no longer tell yourself that you are getting older; That you know you are past getting older and start your mornings wondering how many more days you have left.

How very sad for you cotton.
    How about we change that around to:
    "What machine will I work on today?"

There are 7,620 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.