Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,617 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    There are 7,617 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 153.
    3 months later
    #1202 4 years ago

when you start getting mail in your box, 1-2 times a week, with all sorts of sales pitches for hearing aids.

#1203 4 years ago

When you have to take the blue pill.

#1204 4 years ago

When you do the math and realize that cars from the early/mid 90s now qualify for historical vehicle plates.

#1205 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

when you start getting mail in your box, 1-2 times a week, with all sorts of sales pitches for hearing aids.

...and I'll add to that...
    when you get something in the mail from AARP at LEAST once a month!

#1206 4 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

...and I'll add to that...
    when you get something in the mail from AARP at LEAST once a month!

How could I forget about AARP? I guess my rememberer is getting a little rusty (rusty sounds better than old), too.

#1207 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How could I forget about AARP? I guess my rememberer is getting a little rusty (rusty sounds better than old), too.

You don't have to say rusty...some people use words like patina to describe things

#1208 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How about all the different medicare plans, I get them all the time...

#1209 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

How about when you still go out to check the mail?

My younger brothers in law pay everything with their phones/online and maybe check their apartment mail boxes once every two weeks!

#1210 4 years ago

Say what you want, but i'm 24 and know/remember 90% of this stuff

#1211 4 years ago
    Quoted from icanswim70:

Bah, you probably could not use a rotary dial phone or deal with MS-DOS

#1212 4 years ago

When your family vacation trips started with a visit to the local Triple A office for a "Trip-tik" planner - that mapped out the route!

20 miles per page, the entire trip! Flip the page, another 20 miles. (And if you got off the route, there was no "re-calculating"!) ahh good times!

#1213 4 years ago

I still keep real maps in my car....I'm not sure what is scarier, that I have used them still or that there are generations that don't even know how to.

Can you even still get free state maps at visitors centers etc?

#1214 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

How about all the different medicare plans, I get them all the time...

I have already passed that phase of my life. About 6-8 months before I turned 65 I was having all kinds of Medicare emails, snail mails, and agents knocking on my door. All wanting to do business. I don't know where you are at on this Medicare stuff, but be careful so you don't screw yourself.

You will get Medicare Part A just for breathing. Part B will cost you approximately $125.00 per month. If you do not buy the Part B you are a fool.

So now, you have Part A and Part B, but the govt. has been so busy cutting back on what it will pay the doctors that many medical facilities will turn you away if all you have is Part A and Part B.

So now, you need to buy a Part C plan. From this point, you have several choices from the "Alphabet" plan: There is "A" and "B" and do forth. I think my insurance broker placed me in Plan G.

Plan "G" costs me $122.00 per month. I could have had Blue Cross but the broker put me in Cigna. So, every month, like clockwork, Cigna gets to dip into my checking account and grab their $122.00.

I have known of some people who did not buy a Part C and thought they would save some money. But then they got sick and too late they wished that they would have stepped up because Medicare Part A and Part B did not cover all of the expenses.

So, you you buy a Part C insurance and all expenses beyond Medicare are covered.

So, buy a Part C. You are a fool if you don't.

With Part A, Part B and Part C, your annual deductible is $184.00 per year.

A monthly of $124.00 for Part B plus a monthly of $ 122.00 for Part C ( (124 + 122) * 12 = $2952.00). So, for $2952.00 I have full medical coverage on everything after I also pay the $184.00 deductible. And all of this is why all of the old timers told to government to "keep your hands of of my Medicare" when any health care issue gets talked about in the U.S.

It is a hell of lot better than Obamacare with its escalating premiums and $7,000.00 annual deductibles.
    ============================================

Anyway, while I pay $122.00 per month for Part B, there is more that is subsidized by the govt. and ALL of the insurance companies like having the govt. pick up the tab because the govt. will always pay them.

And this is why you are getting flooded with sales information. The insurance companies figure if they can get you signed up that they will have a paying customer that is backed up by the govt. until the day you die.

The company I use for my car and house insurance even wanted in on the action. I was offered Plan F for $177.00 month; Plan F was the highest priced plan to choose. And I got Plan G for $122.00.

It pays to shop around.

And given how fucked up health insurance in in the U.S. is, I was never so glad to get older and be 65 so I could get Medicare insurance that I can afford.
    ============================

When I was 14 I wanted to be 16 so I could get a driver's license.

When I was 16 I wanted to be 18 (or 21) so I could hit the bars and try to find some drunk chick to drag home.

When I was 63 I wanted to be 65 so I could get Medicare.

There is really not much else extra in the future so I would be happy to remain 65 for a real long time.

#1215 4 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

My grammas house had a rotary dial phone! And she would babysit me weekly. Also, i'm a Certified IT guy, DOS is in my blood lol

#1216 4 years ago
    Quoted from icanswim70:

Also, i'm a Certified IT guy, DOS is in my blood lol

I think your the exception, most your age can't even spell DOS!

#1217 4 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

I still keep real maps in my car....I'm not sure what is scarier, that I have used them still or that there are generations that don't even know how to.

Hell no - i don't think they even HAVE maps at the visitors centers anymore. We paid at least $7.00 for the last map we bought a couple months ago. The wife loves using them, and is an absolute pain in the ass on a road trip until she gets one. Then it's like giving candy to a baby - not a peep.

#1218 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I don't know which scares me more...the fact that I want one of these shirts, the fact that many probably don't get the reference, or the fact that I have friends that have poked fun of me with comments about how I look like comic book guy

Well, him or Penn Gillette (I think I prefer the Penn comments though, lol).

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg
    #1219 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I have already passed that phase of my life. About 6-8 months before I turned 65 I was having all kinds of Medicare emails, snail mails, and agents knocking on my door. All wanting to do business. I don't know where you are at on this Medicare stuff, but be careful so you don't screw yourself.
    You will get Medicare Part A just for breathing. Part B will cost you approximately $125.00 per month. If you do not buy the Part B you are a fool.
    So now, you have Part A and Part B, but the govt. has been so busy cutting back on what it will pay the doctors that many medical facilities will turn you away if all you have is Part A and Part B.
    So now, you need to buy a Part C plan. From this point, you have several choices from the "Alphabet" plan: There is "A" and "B" and do forth. I think my insurance broker placed me in Plan G.
    Plan "G" costs me $122.00 per month. I could have had Blue Cross but the broker put me in Cigna. So, every month, like clockwork, Cigna gets to dip into my checking account and grab their $122.00.
    I have known of some people who did not buy a Part C and thought they would save some money. But then they got sick and too late they wished that they would have stepped up because Medicare Part A and Part B did not cover all of the expenses.
    So, you you buy a Part C insurance and all expenses beyond Medicare are covered.
    So, buy a Part C. You are a fool if you don't.
    With Part A, Part B and Part C, your annual deductible is $184.00 per year.
    A monthly of $124.00 for Part B plus a monthly of $ 122.00 for Part C ( (124 + 122) * 12 = $2952.00). So, for $2952.00 I have full medical coverage on everything after I also pay the $184.00 deductible. And all of this is why all of the old timers told to government to "keep your hands of of my Medicare" when any health care issue gets talked about in the U.S.
    It is a hell of lot better than Obamacare with its escalating premiums and $7,000.00 annual deductibles.
    ============================================
    Anyway, while I pay $122.00 per month for Part B, there is more that is subsidized by the govt. and ALL of the insurance companies like having the govt. pick up the tab because the govt. will always pay them.
    And this is why you are getting flooded with sales information. The insurance companies figure if they can get you signed up that they will have a paying customer that is backed up by the govt. until the day you die.
    The company I use for my car and house insurance even wanted in on the action. I was offered Plan F for $177.00 month; Plan F was the highest priced plan to choose. And I got Plan G for $122.00.
    It pays to shop around.
    And given how fucked up health insurance in in the U.S. is, I was never so glad to get older and be 65 so I could get Medicare insurance that I can afford.
    ============================
    When I was 14 I wanted to be 16 so I could get a driver's license.
    When I was 16 I wanted to be 18 (or 21) so I could hit the bars and try to find some drunk chick to drag home.
    When I was 63 I wanted to be 65 so I could get Medicare.
    There is really not much else extra in the future so I would be happy to remain 65 for a real long time.

Yeah, I'm good with all that, been on medicare 2 years now with an advantage plan!!

#1220 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Well thank you, I tend not to fit my generation, despise internet, social media, texting, and most modern technology. Where's the friday night beer, pinball and classic rock at?!

#1221 4 years ago

You know you are old.....
    when you can't remember if you already posted on this topic or not.

#1222 4 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Oh yeah, old folks love stopping at the visitor center to pick up a map and pee..

#1223 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

#1224 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinwiztom:

Hey, anybody ever hear of roadmaps?

#1225 4 years ago
    Quoted from icanswim70:

Quoted from dasvis:

Quoted from icanswim70:

My grammas house had a rotary dial phone! And she would babysit me weekly. Also, i'm a Certified IT guy, DOS is in my blood lol

Yeah, OK, but can you make change for a dollar without the computer telling you what the correct amount is ?

#1226 4 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Hey, anybody ever hear of roadmaps?

You can laugh about road maps all you want. I like Google Maps on my iPhone.; It is handy as hell.

But when you are out in the middle of the west Texas desert and find yourself in a deadspot and you are not sure where you are at, you will learn to love an old school roadmap. They may be a little cumbersome but they are reliable.

I have a Triple AAA membership and new, updated roadmaps are part of the package.

#1227 4 years ago

When you worked as a store cashier and actually punched the price of each item into the cash register.

#1228 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

When you worked as a store cashier and actually punched the price of each item into the cash register.

You mean like those super old school things where you had to manually hold the barcode reader and squeeze the button like every time?!

Talk about stone age

#1229 4 years ago

My first job was to put those small white sticker prices on each item in a grocery store.

#1230 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaeg:

My first job was to put those small white sticker prices on each item in a grocery store.

At Kmart, we were high-tech with the manual price sticker gun that you would load with a roll of stickers and set the numbers for the built-in ink stamper!

#1231 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I have already passed that phase of my life

Thank you for this!

#1232 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

At Kmart, we were high-tech with the manual price sticker gun that you would load with a roll of stickers and set the numbers for the built-in ink stamper!

What's a Kmart?

#1233 4 years ago

I live in a rural area. Even so, we have all the modern stuff like internet and electricity (in most places ).

Even so I about fell over the other day when I went into the post office for a money order and the postmaster heaved one of these check stamping machines from under the counter to stamp the order.

check stamper (resized).pngcheck stamper (resized).png

I had not seen one of those since the 80s when my parents used one at the family business!

#1234 4 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I live in a rural area. Even so, we have all the modern stuff like internet and electricity (in most places ).
    Even so I about fell over the other day when I went into the post office for a money order and the postmaster heaved one of these check stamping machines from under the counter to stamp the order.
    [quoted image]
    I had not seen one of those since the 80s when my parents used one at the family business!

I have a check writing machine exactly like that in my garage if you want it.

#1235 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

What's a Kmart?

Watch your mouth, boy ! K-Mart was the home of the Blue Light Special.

You ain't never lived until you were in a K-Mart and the manager called a Blue Light Special.

#1236 4 years ago

We are on a roll. 2K or bust !!!

#1237 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jaeg:

My first job was throwing newspapers at houses. You ever heard of one of those?

#1238 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yep, I'm living in one I fixed up now.

#1239 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The game was a classic!

https://images.app.goo.gl/zebZMzKYnacU7qMX9

#1240 4 years ago

Yep. We had one at the nearby 7-11. They go for a ton of money now.

Paperboy was a thankless job as your pay was collecting from the last few deadbeats that always pretended they were not home when you came knocking. Some of them got a real surprise when they opened up their next Sunday paper.

#1241 4 years ago

Hey, hey, I resemble that remark, there @o-din.

20180605_164047_LI (resized).jpg20180605_164047_LI (resized).jpg

Click on the photo, for a clearer photo.

#1242 4 years ago

I knew I was getting old when my knees started popping loud and hurting. Also the first shart, and could no longer trust a fart. When I lost most of my hair. When the DMV asked if I wanted antique tags for vehicles I had for a long time.
    I do still like rollercoasters, they hurt my head anymore, and if I am regular on any ride the teens working there always nickname me grandpa, and I do not have kids so I am in no way a grandpa...but it does not make me mad or sad or anything, I know they are having fun and they are very nice to me.

At the same time I have a lot of wisdom that I help kids with when I can. I call anyone younger than 35 a kid.

I see so many kids with their face buried in a smartphone that I swear I actually seen one walk into a stop sign. Kids are so smart with all that yet stupid enough to get injured. Kind of like the kids dying doing selfies with a phone on a stick and walking off a cliff or whatever the latest news story is.

#1243 4 years ago

You are old when you know what a gestetner is. You’re even older when you know how to work a gestetner. Sadly I’m in the older camp. Anyone else remember the lovely purple coloured copies it made??

#1244 4 years ago
    Quoted from TDK-WPG:

You are old when you know what a gestetner is. You’re even older when you know how to work a gestetner. Sadly I’m in the older camp. Anyone else remember the lovely purple coloured copies it made??

And the smell!

#1245 4 years ago

When I was 12 or 13, one of my school chum's dad died. He was an old man when he died at 50 years old. Well, I will be 67 in two more days and when I read the obits and see someone checked out at 50, I find my self thinking he was so young. Hell, my grandpa was young 83 years old when he died.

I recently got a speeding ticket in New Mexico for going WAY over the speed limit. The officer had some gray hair on but since he was still working he was obviously younger than me. As he handed me my ticket, driver's license, and insurance card, he just told me to not to forget to fasten my seatbelt. No lecture but he did give me that ticket.

I have not had anybody call me grandpa, yet.

And no one has called me dad. Or old timer.

#1246 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:When I was 12 or 13, one of my school chum's dad died. He was an old man when he died at 50 years old. Well, I will be 67 in two more days and when I read the obits and see someone checked out at 50, I find my self thinking he was so young. Hell, my grandpa was young 83 years old when he died.
    I recently got a speeding ticket in New Mexico for going WAY over the speed limit. The officer had some gray hair on but since he was still working he was obviously younger than me. As he handed me my ticket, driver's license, and insurance card, he just told me to not to forget to fasten my seatbelt. No lecture but he did give me that ticket.

Nice story pops.

QSS

#1247 4 years ago
    Quoted from TDK-WPG:

Ha! I'm in the latter category as well! We still had them just at the beginning of my teaching career; even had the hand-crank version, rather than the automatic.

#1248 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When I was 12 or 13, one of my school chum's dad died. He was an old man when he died at 50 years old. Well, I will be 67 in two more days and when I read the obits and see someone checked out at 50, I find my self thinking he was so young. Hell, my grandpa was young 83 years old when he died.

Remember when you didn't have to buckle up?

#1249 4 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Remember when you didn't have to buckle up?

I had a truck with no seatbelts period.

Even as recent as the early 80s we would ride in the back of an open bed pickup with a keg of beer on the way to a concert. Bunch of crazed idiots hooten and hollering riding down the freeway. Miss those days. Maybe.

#1250 4 years ago

Riding in the back of the Cutlass on the package shelf!

There are 7,617 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/25?hl=djtkach and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.