Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,617 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    There are 7,617 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 153.
    #951 5 years ago

There used to be Generic beer which great for a student on a budget, something like $1.10 for a 6 pack. Usually I got PBR tall boys.

Billy Beer was the worst beer I ever had back in the day.

#952 5 years ago

Mmmmm. . . Beer.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#953 5 years ago
    Quoted from SteveO:

There used to be Generic beer which great for a student on a budget, something like $1.10 for a 6 pack. Usually I got PBR tall boys.
    Billy Beer was the worst beer I ever had back in the day.

I like PBR also.
    For the 30 pks I like PBR & High life..(I think Busch is water compared to these two)

I usually wait till noon, but with all these images of BEER...11:30 will do today...back in a min

#954 5 years ago

Pinch the skin on the top of your hand and it stays that way.

#955 5 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

damn you! now I know I'm old

#956 5 years ago
    Quoted from ShinyBall:

I think you can add the Miller High Life to that list too. Probably the best of the cheap 30pk offerings. IMO

Miller High Life all day long.
    I get the tall boys!

#957 5 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

You might be dehydrated from all that Budweiser

#958 5 years ago

When America was going to lose weight without exercising.

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 11.02.53 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 11.02.53 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 11.02.23 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 11.02.23 AM (resized).png

Not too sure if this was an exercise machine or maybe something else masquerading as an exercise machine

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 11.03.12 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 11.03.12 AM (resized).png

And did your mom or your sister have one of these home hair dryers?

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 11.04.48 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-11-19 at 11.04.48 AM (resized).png

#959 5 years ago

Rheingold Extra Dry!

#960 5 years ago

When installing the pop bumper on you current project game kicks your a**!

I'll admit that my working conditions were not ideal but I must have experienced half a dozen screw drops -- several of which disappeared in the drop target mechs -- and soldering the bulb wiring involved more cussing than usual. Tried working on everything without my headlamp and magnification loupes and it just was not going my way.

In the end I was victorious; I'm glad Meteor has just one pop!

#961 5 years ago

...if you own the first game that had a pop bumper (or thumper bumper as it was called) or even know what game it is.

I rebuilt all five pop bumpers on my River Boat after at least twelve Pacificos, and already into the Jack and herb the other night and no lost parts and they all work great!

Disclaimer- I'm to the point now where I'm not sure if I can be enthused enough to do quality work without a good buzz on.

#962 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I rebuilt all five pop bumpers on my River Boat after at least twelve Pacificos, and already into the Jack and herb the other night and no lost parts and they all work great!

Ah, the question is was it the Pacifico, Jack, or Herb that led you to believe no parts were lost and everything was working great. . .

Kidding of course. With your experience I'm sure you could rebuild a pop bumper blindfolded.

#963 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

With your experience I'm sure you could rebuild a pop bumper blindfolded.

Being that I am in eyeglass denial, that is usually the case.

#964 5 years ago

I have my grandmothers console stereo.

It hasn’t been used in years. I just bought some albums and my 12 year old daughter says...

Daddy that table out in the living room has big black spiny things on it and is playing music!

I really blew her mind when I showed her how my Victrola passed down from my uncle worked!

She thought they were furniture!

Ahh things we just think are normal are not any more!

#965 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Disclaimer- I'm to the point now where I'm not sure if I can be enthused enough to do quality work without a good buzz on.

Put on some music and your work quality will be the talk of the town.

#966 5 years ago

Your hangover takes twice the time to go away

#967 5 years ago

I know this may still be normal in some households today, but I remember when Thanksgiving was more of a laid back holiday and less intense.

Food was prepared at home and a bunch of relatives you didn't know all that well came together to fight over who had to sit at the kids table when chairs ran out. Sometimes someone would bring a super thick newspaper and you could look at all the sales coming on Friday. As the day progressed several of the guys would doze off watching football and one of toughest choices I'd have to make would be apple vs. pecan pie. I usually went with both.

In talking with my younger co-workers the trend seems to be going out to eat. Several are just heating up pre-made meals in the microwave. Instead of strategizing about what type of pie to eat they are more worried about what store to visit and how early they opened -- Thursday night. Anymore I've noticed even my family spends time looking at their phones taking advantage of all the Black Friday offerings as soon as the plates are cleared. I will probably take a look at some of the pinball deals out there but luckily some of those go thru the weekend.

More of an observation than anything else. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving -- take some time to slow down and appreciate the day and the family if you can.

#968 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I know this may still be normal in some households today, but I remember when Thanksgiving was more of a laid back holiday and less intense.
    Food was prepared at home and a bunch of relatives you didn't know all that well came together to fight over who had to sit at the kids table when chairs ran out. Sometimes someone would bring a super thick newspaper and you could look at all the sales coming on Friday. As the day progressed several of the guys would doze off watching football and one of toughest choices I'd have to make would be apple vs. pecan pie. I usually went with both.
    In talking with my younger co-workers the trend seems to be going out to eat. Several are just heating up pre-made meals in the microwave. Instead of strategizing about what type of pie to eat they are more worried about what store to visit and how early they opened -- Thursday night. Anymore I've noticed even my family spends time looking at their phones taking advantage of all the Black Friday offerings as soon as the plates are cleared. I will probably take a look at some of the pinball deals out there but luckily some of those go thru the weekend.
    More of an observation than anything else. I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving -- take some time to slow down and appreciate the day and the family if you can.

You hit the nail in the head with this one.

I had lots of aunts, uncles, and cousins on my mom's side. We started having family reunions in 1972. It would be a feast of all of these great homemade dishes of food of all kinds.

Somewhere in the early 90s, a box of Kentucky Fried Chicken showed up in the line up. Then it was a long, slow, steady decline to a table full of grocery store fried chicken, some potato salad, deviled eggs, sliced cucumbers in vinegar, and celery sticks with peanut butter filler.

#969 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I remember as a kid watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on TV while Mom got the cooking done.

Then the next day, the start of the Christmas season !

Happy Thanksgiving !
    LTG : )

#970 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Still normal in our household. Food, Family, and Football!!
    Happy Thanksgiving All!!

#971 5 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I remember as a kid watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on TV while Mom got the cooking done.
    Then the next day, the start of the Christmas season !
    Happy Thanksgiving !
    LTG : )

Christmas lights on 2nite

#972 5 years ago

You remember the adults teaching the kids how to play penny ante poker after Thanksgiving dinner.

#973 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:I know this may still be normal in some households today, but I remember when Thanksgiving was more of a laid back holiday and less intense.

In talking with my younger co-workers the trend seems to be going out to eat.

That's what we did. Out to eat. Definitely more laid back and less intense than doing all that work and cleanup myself.

#974 5 years ago

The appeal of cutting your own firewood lessens each year.

Then again, we tend to go overboard on these sorts of things.

5J5A8390 (resized).JPG5J5A8390 (resized).JPG

#975 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

The appeal of cutting your own firewood lessens each year.[quoted image]

Especially the next day.

#976 5 years ago

If you remember when it took more than one person to adjust the picture on your TV set.

antenasroof (resized).jpgantenasroof (resized).jpg
    #977 5 years ago

... you hope you live long enough
    to see this thread hit 1k posts...

#978 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If you remember when it took more than one person to adjust the picture on your TV set.[quoted image]

I remember my grandparents, who lived in the Nebraska farmland, with a party line telephone, having some sort of set top box that would rotate the antenna towards the direction that they wanted to view. When I spent summers on the farm with them, on Monday nights is was the night to watch wrestling in Omaha; So the set top box was manipulated and you could hear some action happening and next thing I knew we were watching wrestling coming from Omaha ( My grandparents would sit there and cuss the wrestlers, cuss the referee, then they would cuss the Preparation H hemorrhoid commercials. And when the show returned they would start cussing the wrestlers----again.

On Mondays nights, the set top box would be manipulated, make a few noises, and then we would be watching St. Joe, Missouri wrestling. Sometimes, the wrestlers would be different, but sometimes it would be the same guys we watched on Monday in Omaha. And my grandparents would start the cussing routine all over again like it was a brand new thing.

From the "apple does not fall too far from the tree" situation, I found myself starting to enjoy watching those wrestling matches. Watching my grandparents cuss those wrestlers is where I learned to cuss with class

#979 5 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

... you hope you live long enough
    to see this thread hit 1k posts...

Madre De Dios, rollitover, we are less than 25 points away from 1000. You carrying some health problems we do not know about ?

#980 5 years ago

I was merely pointing out
    just how tragically s-l-o-w
    this thread has become.
    Flying along and then BAM!
    950...951...zzz...oh sorry...

Health could be better but not too bad for for a 54yr old former partier, thanks for askin'.

And Madre De Dios?
    As in Peru?
    Fill me in cotton.

#981 5 years ago

Madre De Dios...
    Got it buddy.

...and 981...

#982 5 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Madre De Dios...
    Got it buddy.
    ...and 981...

and 982.. Tractor Doc, get ready for a NASA countdown !!

#983 5 years ago

'T Minus 17!'

#984 5 years ago

uh-oh dementia is already setting in for Darcy (either that or he's using that canadian metric way of counting

T minus 16

(or he was doing a countdown to the countdown. again, it must be a canadian redundancy thing

#985 5 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

I was merely pointing out
    just how tragically s-l-o-w
    this thread has become.

Things tend to mover a bit slower with age.

Now that we are in Holiday Season does anyone remember (or still use) one of these?

Grandma had a large table top version that was always fired up after big meals. Filled the house up with a great aroma and when younger I loved watching the clear sight splash at the top.

#986 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Things tend to mover a bit slower with age.
    Now that we are in Holiday Season does anyone remember (or still use) one of these?
    [quoted image]
    Grandma had a large table top version that was always fired up after big meals. Filled the house up with a great aroma and when younger I loved watching the clear sight splash at the top.

Absolutely, positively THE best way to make a pot a coffee!

#987 5 years ago

Even though I remember a lot of this stuff from back when pinball was more than a novelty for people to fill up their living rooms so they can relive their youth, I feel I'm a lot younger than those that are begging for a Munsters or even a new Elvira game to get made.

#988 5 years ago

You remember when cinders were used on winter roads for traction before salt and more recently this liquid stuff they spray. That brine seems to rust out vehicles in a couple years.

This is more of a Northern/colder climate thing.

#989 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

You remember when cinders were used on winter roads for traction before salt and more recently this liquid stuff they spray. That brine seems to rust out vehicles in a couple years.
    This is more of a Northern/colder climate thing.

I know I am older than you, but around here salt has always been used as long as I can remember; But I only live 40 miles from the salt mine. If it is just going to be a little pee-wad snow storm the road guys would throw down sand (I guess that is like your cinders).

The brine that is used now is highly corrosive.

#990 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I know I am older than you, but around here salt has always been used as long as I can remember; But I only live 40 miles from the salt mine. If it is just going to be a little pee-wad snow storm the road guys would throw down sand (I guess that is like your cinders).
    The brine that is used now is highly corrosive.

I suppose where I grew up was a little off the beaten path as well -- our roads were probably less of a priority than others. Instead of trucks with plows we had motor graders with the large V-blade mounted on the front clearing the way.

#991 5 years ago

Post 991.

T-10

#992 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Post 991.
    T-10

I was wondering if anyone was counting down...
    I dosed off again...

make it 992 and I must say I think it is only fair that TractorDoc get #1000.

#993 5 years ago

Pee-wad?

#994 5 years ago

Like a dusting...

#995 5 years ago

Remember postage stamps being a nickel!!

#996 5 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

make it 992 and I must say I think it is only fair that TractorDoc get #1000.

Me or somebody else. . . its all good.

Just returned from a shopping trip. I have not eaten cereal in years, but for some reason I felt the need to try the new Maple Cheerios.

Looking over the Milk selection I remember when the choices were skim, 2%, whole, vitamin D, and chocolate -- and they all originated from a cow. Now I see milk from almonds, cashews, soy, and even a small bottle from goats.
    I went with vitamin D.

I know some of you are going to tell me the Milk Man dropped the glass bottle off at your doorstep. . .

Come to think of it, I remember when the only Cheerio options were plain and Honey Nut.

#997 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:Come to think of it, I remember when the only Cheerio options were plain and Honey Nut.

I remember when there was no Captain Crunch.

T-3

#998 5 years ago

When you been to this thread 10 times before and don't remember it. Or maybe not, not sure.

#999 5 years ago

When you been to this thread 13 times before and don't remember it. Or maybe not, not sure.

#1000 5 years ago

Guess I'm up.

If I've learned anything in life or (or from this thread) it is that age is a state of mind. Pinside and pinball are great examples -- most of us are grown adults and we are posting about our toys. . . how to play them, how to fix them, when we buy a new one, etc. Even though there are reminders out there with each passing day that time is not static the important part is to enjoy the ride.

I tell my dog/cat clients that age is not a disease. . .but it can bring some baggage with it. Thanks to this thread I know I'm not alone and maybe even know what to expect in the days to come. The nostalgia has been great; maybe someday as pinball evolves the newcomers to the hobby will have their own thoughts to add (remember when you had to pysically push the flipper buttons with your fingers instead of just thinking about it?)

T-minus 0 and liftoff -- Happy 1000!

5J5A0693 (resized).JPG5J5A0693 (resized).JPG

There are 7,617 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.