Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,615 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by frenchmarky
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    There are 7,615 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 153.
    #901 5 years ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

You know you're old when...
    Your fun, satirical thread turns into a discussion...
    ABOUT SOCKS!

Hey! I thought I was in safe place for sock talk.

But that's ok. Back to lawn mowers we go.

#902 5 years ago
    Quoted from viper001:

I can add to this with a personal, true story. Both of my parents are in assisted living now but in different parts of the same facility. Most of the time everything is fine, but there are times I am walking those hallways and the hallway music is playing classic rock from the 80's...

One of my favorite radio stations growing up (I was old then too ) played "oldies" from the 50's and 60's. Haven't tuned back to it for a decade or so as now it plays the oldies from the 70's 80's and 90's!

Socks, suspenders, Velcro shoes . . . its all good here!

#903 5 years ago

You were there for the big bang.

LTG : )

#904 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Hey! I thought I was in safe place for sock talk.
    But that's ok. Back to lawn mowers we go.

Oh brother...

#905 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

A true clicker, well, chime-o-matic. Could have fun rattling a ring of keys by the TV to get the barrel motor a spinnin'.

That's how I would test the receiver in those sets back in the day when I was doing service calls!

#906 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

when you go to bed you are up all night long

... When “up all night long” meant something different!

#907 5 years ago

*When you try to sleep in..and wake up at 6 w out an alarm clock
    *when you go to a concert (I saw John Mellencamp last nite) and most of the crowd looks to be in their 50’s-60’s
    *you start trimming nose/ear hair...NOOOO..lol

#908 5 years ago

...when you get excited about a Beatles or Munsters pinball machine and can't wait to see what they come up with next...

#909 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

...when you get excited about a Beatles or Munsters pinball machine and can't wait to see what they come up with next...

Beverly Hillbillies next for the win! Fingers crossed.

Well I can't really cross my fingers. Joint issue thingy.

#910 5 years ago

...when you run a pinball company and can't come up with one single music act from the 21st century to theme a game after.

#911 5 years ago

I know I'm older as I can't think of a present for Christmas from my wife. I have just about everything I need.

#912 5 years ago

When your food arrives at a restaurant your first instinct (after saying grace if that is your thing) is to eat it and not take a picture of it.

#913 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

When your food arrives at a restaurant your first instinct (after saying grace if that is your thing) is to eat it and not take a picture of it.

...when you leave the house and usually your camera stays there.

#914 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

...when you leave the house and usually your camera stays there.

Can't say I'm guilty of that one. . . then again my camera is an actual camera (Canon 5D) and I usually drag that thing around a lot of places. Not using it to take pictures of my supper to post on the web though.

#915 5 years ago

Post #915. 85 away from 1000 where Tractor Doc get to take a bow The old farts have been fairly creative, I reckon.

#916 5 years ago

when you look back at all of the stupid things that we did as kids (like jumping off of the garage roof into the above pool) and realize that they pale in comparison to the really stupid things that kids are doing today

#917 5 years ago

You rode a bike with no helmet ...

You skateboarded without looking like Fran Tarkenton ...

You know who Fran Tarkenton is ...

#918 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

when you look back at all of the stupid things that we did as kids (like jumping off of the garage roof into the above pool)

I remember jumping off the roof of the house (age 10-12?) holding open a large garbage bag thinking it would act like a parachute and gently bring me down to the ground. Instead I crashed into one of the shrubs that lined the front of the house and left a large hole in the center of it the rest of the time we lived there. Could be where my fear of heights comes from. . .

#919 5 years ago

I have not needed an alarm clock for 15 years and am always on time for work.

Hearing Jethro Tull (Living in the Past) on Muzak in the grocery store was a bummer. Then again, I have not heard Muzak in a long time.

Try explaining what a slide rule is to someone in their 20's.

#920 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

I remember jumping off the roof of the house (age 10-12?) holding open a large garbage bag thinking it would act like a parachute and gently bring me down to the ground. Instead I crashed into one of the shrubs that lined the front of the house and left a large hole in the center of it the rest of the time we lived there. Could be where my fear of heights comes from. . .

Suprised you dont have a fear of garbage bags

#921 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Yeah, I remember doing something similar but with cardboard wings. Of course I fell like a greased anvil to the ground.

#922 5 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Yeah, I remember doing something similar but with cardboard wings. Of course I fell like a greased anvil to the ground.

I did a similar thing as well, only I used an umbrella. I was small enough that it actually worked a little bit.

#923 5 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

We went the homemade hanglider route (hell, it was the 70's and it seemed like surfing or hangliding was on Wide World of Sports every week). Off the two story shed. Somehow bones were not broken.

#924 5 years ago
    Quoted from albummydavis:

We went the homemade hanglider route (hell, it was the 70's and it seemed like surfing or hangliding was on Wide World of Sports every week). Off the two story shed. Somehow bones were not broken.

A friend of mine saw Superman on TV when he was very young. He thought all you needed was a cape.

Jumping down a flight of stairs with a towel didn't work.

#925 5 years ago

You can still leave the house without a cellphone and NOT have a panic attack...

Or at least you could...Until you realized that folks nowadays won't help you - because they assume you have a cell phone!

#926 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

when you look back at all of the stupid things that we did as kids (like jumping off of the garage roof into the above pool)

Hey! we did that. only when the neighbor who had the pool left for the day, we ran off our friends garage over the fence and into his pool (about 8' away)
    Good thing we never ran short.

#927 5 years ago

Used to be a Bartender Grand Hotel Mackinaw Island when I was 18 years old. Was told it was "tradition" for the bartenders to climb over Arch Rock. All of us bartenders that worked for the Grand Hotel were put up together in our own hotel. We, as a group would climb over the rail regularly and cross over.
    After the first, time we were hooked
    Not very wide, very jagged and a long ways down.
    Young people are invincible... Cause there is NO way I could do that now......(but, I'm glad i did)

rock2 (resized).jpgrock2 (resized).jpg

#928 5 years ago

Beautiful photo, really gave me the heebie jeebies when I scrolled down and saw how tiny those people are!

#929 5 years ago

I grew up in a housing project, and we frequently made our own fun. It was great when someone had a refrigerator or stove delivered. We would take the box, and one at a time. we would go in the box which we situated at the top of the stairwell and slide down the stairs. I guess boxes were more sturdy back then. Never once did any of us get hurt.

They say God looks out for children and fools. I guess we were both.

On another note, many of the kids used to play on top of the elevators - something I never did as I have a fear of heights. Some of our friends were playing on top of the elevator one day, and one of them lost his balance and fell. He was crushed to death between the elevator and the shaft. The others never did that again.

#930 5 years ago
    Quoted from chippe01:

On another note, many of the kids used to play on top of the elevators - something I never did as I have a fear of heights. Some of our friends were playing on top of the elevator one day, and one of them lost his balance and fell. He was crushed to death between the elevator and the shaft. The others never did that again.

You mean like the elevators that take you from floor 1 to floor 35? What did you do? Crawl out of a trap door on top of the elevator box?

#931 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You mean like the elevators that take you from floor 1 to floor 35? What did you do? Crawl out of a trap door on top of the elevator box?

That's what I'd like to know!

#932 5 years ago

More of the when you are young you are dumb category.

My friend discovered his '53 Chevy had the perfect wheel base for mounting the rail road tracks. He lived in a small town where all kinds of strange stuff might take place among the teenagers.

And i'm like, "show me." Small town. He/we knew where all the railroad tracks were located. On a dirt road outside of town is a railroad crossing. My friend maneuvers the car to line up with the tracks. The front tires sit just inside of center on the tracks. It is a perfect fit. He slips the clutch and the car rolls forward and now the rear tires are on. First gear, shift, 2nd gear, shift, drive gear, and we are rolling. It was a nice relaxing ride. Smoking and joking for the next mile where we got off the tracks at the next road.

No. We did not know the train schedules. It was at night so any locomotive would have been burning its headlight to tell us we were going to have big problems in short order.

I did this with my friend twice.

url-1 (resized).jpgurl-1 (resized).jpg

#933 5 years ago
    Quoted from klr650:

You can still leave the house without a cellphone and NOT have a panic attack...
    Or at least you could...Until you realized that folks nowadays won't help you - because they assume you have a cell phone!

When I was a wee boy I remember riding with my dad when a tire blew on the trailer we were pulling. He had my younger brother and I wait in the truck while he walked up the road to someone's house to use their telephone to call for help. Next thing I remember is sitting in a strange person's house while the tire was fixed.

Growing up we lived in view of an interstate -- I remember a couple times a year someone would knock on the door with car trouble asking if they could use the phone. While it was mildly awkward we'd always invite the person in and try to make them somewhat comfortable.

Nowadays when a stranger knocks on the door the Mrs. hides in the closet and calls me because she thinks someone wants to abduct, murder, or convert her.

#934 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

More of the when you are young you are dumb category.
    My friend discovered his '53 Chevy had the perfect wheel base for mounting the rail road tracks. He lived in a small town where all kinds of strange stuff might take place among the teenagers.
    And i'm like, "show me." Small town. He/we knew where all the railroad tracks were located. On a dirt road outside of town is a railroad crossing. My friend maneuvers the car to line up with the tracks. The front tires sit just inside of center on the tracks. It is a perfect fit. He slips the clutch and the car rolls forward and now the rear tires are on. First gear, shift, 2nd gear, shift, drive gear, and we are rolling. It was a nice relaxing ride. Smoking and joking for the next mile where we got off the tracks at the next road.
    No. We did not know the train schedules. It was at night so any locomotive would have been burning its headlight to tell us we were going to have big problems in short order.
    I did this with my friend twice.
    [quoted image]

I'm making an assumption in asking this, but how did your friend eventually die?

#935 5 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I'm making an assumption in asking this, but how did your friend eventually die?

He still lives. Like me, he is retired. We are both members of the Lucky Dumb Bastards club

#936 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

Nowadays when a stranger knocks on the door the Mrs. hides in the closet and calls me because she thinks someone wants to abduct, murder, or convert her.

I'm like you. I grew up in a small town where nothing bad ever happened. Times change. Don't be too quick to poo poo your wife. Her concern is valid.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/stranger-danger-2/

#937 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

No the buildings were only 7 stories high (and 2 "high-rise" buildings that were 16 stories and had 2 elevators, 1 for even floors and 1 for odd floors). Before the days of extreme prevention, it was easy to jimmy the door lock when the elevator was 1 floor below. You open the door and jump on top of the elevator cab. As I said, it's something I never attempted to do.

#938 5 years ago
    Quoted from chippe01:

You open the door and jump on top of the elevator cab. As I said, it's something I never attempted to do.

The getting in sounds easy. Now, how did they get out?

#939 5 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

We did that too, but when that got a little boring, we started jumping out of the nearby cottonwood tree, which gave us another 8 feet or so in height, and required us to jump out much further to clear the side of the pool.

#940 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm like you. I grew up in a small town where nothing bad ever happened. Times change. Don't be too quick to poo poo your wife. Her concern is valid.

No poo pooing here .

Sometime over the last couple decades most unexpected visitors transitioned from needing something to wanting something. I still try to think the best of people but certainly use caution around anyone I don't know.

Went out for brother's birthday dinner tonite. Saw more "Man Buns" than I cared to count. Ask me what that was a year or two ago and I would have said some masculine bakery or a guy's posterior.

#941 5 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

The getting in sounds easy. Now, how did they get out?

The same way. They would stop the elevator between floors and jimmy the door open from the inside. It was easier to open from the inside by just opening the latch that held the door locked closed.

#942 5 years ago

...you're no longer the "go-to guy" for a super tight jar lid!

#943 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

...you're no longer the "go-to guy" for a super tight jar lid!

Or twist-off beer tops!!

#944 5 years ago

Your vocabulary and word meanings change.

"Honey, sensuous up, grab me a beer out of the fridge".

#945 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Or twist-off beer tops!!

Quoted from LTG:

"Honey, sensuous up, grab me a beer out of the fridge".

When your beer of choice is named Blatz, Schlitz, or Pabst and there is no picture of a monkey, dragon, or other mystical creature on the bottle.

#946 5 years ago

You quote from a Monte Python skit on a thread like I did earlier tonight and realize only a fraction of Pinsiders will have any idea of what you just did. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monopoly-for-millennials-yes-it-is-real#post-4693970

#947 5 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

You quote from a Monte Python skit on a thread like I did earlier tonight and realize only a fraction of Pinsiders will have any idea of what you just did. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/monopoly-for-millennials-yes-it-is-real#post-4693970

I got it. I almost pissed myself laughing the first time I saw that skit!

#948 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

When your beer of choice is named Blatz, Schlitz, or Pabst

I think you can add the Miller High Life to that list too. Probably the best of the cheap 30pk offerings. IMO

#949 5 years ago

How could I forget the official beer of bowling?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#950 5 years ago
    Quoted from TractorDoc:

How could I forget the official beer of bowling?
    [quoted image]

That is so funny! I just got a call back from Columbia cause my bowling ball cracked this weekend (temp change)...and you show that pic.

There are 7,615 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/19?hl=wolverinetuner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.