Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,443 posts
  • 453 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2287 (resized).jpeg
    20240722_110137 (resized).jpg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    DSCN9183 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2287 (resized).jpeg
    Italjet (resized).jpg
    500px-HGWTS1E34_01 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    1969-ford-mustang-boss-302_4550 (resized).jpg
    IMG_9378 (resized).jpeg
    57660ccae4d45_378161b (resized).jpg
    IMG_8683 (resized).JPG
    Screenshot 2024-07-17 at 7.40.32?PM (resized).png
    IMG_0056 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20240717-134137 (1) (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2024-07-17 at 7.26.08 AM (resized).jpg
    There are 8,443 posts in this topic. You are on page 160 of 169.
    #7951 40 days ago

cottonm4 Dang, your story made me sad as I sit in the cardiologist office waiting room.

#7952 40 days ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I saw that episode several years ago, first time I ever heard Tax Man. Great tune.
    Lots of good episodes of that show. Cool vibe too, just some dudes hanging out jamming, no egos, and breaking bread afterwards.

Some damn fine musicians, all business, clean, sober, and kicking musical ass !

#7953 40 days ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

cottonm4 Dang, your story made me sad as I sit in the cardiologist office waiting room.

Hope all is well, I go next week!

#7954 40 days ago

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm doing ok. Blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, and weight were high back in April. I've lost 10 pounds and my blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglycerides are doing swell now. I'm still on meds, but what I am doing is working. So I'll keep it up. I plan to lose another 10-15 pounds and then I'll reward myself with a pinball machine. Target date is October. The doctor said that about 70% of patients aren't able to make changes to lower weight and improve their health.

#7955 40 days ago

You know you are old when..... you have one of these on your counter.

IMG_20240612_182542.jpgIMG_20240612_182542.jpg
    #7956 40 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You know you are old when..... you have one of these on your counter.[quoted image]

Exsqueeze me?

#7957 40 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You know you are old when..... you have one of these on your counter.[quoted image]

I have 2 different styles. I also have a Daisy Ice Crusher.

While I love fresh squeezed OJ, at a dollar per orange, fresh squeezed gets expensive real quick.

#7958 40 days ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, and weight were high back in April.

I first learned I had high triglycerides in 1998 when I got a company physical. The doc called and said, " We want you back in the office to check your triglycerides.

Me: "What's a triglyceride?

Them: It is sort of like cholesterol. Normal is about 150. Yours tested at...drum roll...2300 !.

I started taking Crestor and that got them under control. And then I got laid off and lost my medical insurance. A months supply of Crestor was quoted at $900.00 !

I got the generic out of Canada. The generic does not work like the genuine Crestor.

The VA has finally got me regulated to around 800 and is happy with that.

#7959 40 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I have 2 different styles. I also have a Daisy Ice Crusher.
    While I love fresh squeezed OJ, at a dollar per orange, fresh squeezed gets expensive real quick.

I only use mine for lemon water anymore with those prices. O.J. is loaded with the sugar...bad bad bad, but so good.

#7960 40 days ago

How old are you? When you read that Russia is now docking ships, and also has a nuclear sub in Cuban waters and your mind races back to the 1961 Cuban Missile Crisis.

#7961 40 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

your mind races back to the 1961 Cuban Missile Crisis.

When we blockaded Cuba, and Khrushchev gave orders to run the blockade. That was a scary 8 hours.

LTG : )

#7962 40 days ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

For a moment I thought it was one of those 2-handled banana polishers.

#7963 39 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

When we blockaded Cuba, and Khrushchev gave orders to run the blockade. That was a scary 8 hours.

I was 9 when the Cuban Missile Crisis transpired so I don't have much, if any, memory of it. Mine is from studying the history of how close were were to the brink of nuclear war.

An excellent movie called "13 Days" does a fairly good job of showing how close we were to blowing up the world.

#7964 39 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I was 9 when the Cuban Missile Crisis transpired so I don't have much, if any, memory of it. Mine is from studying the history of how close were were to the brink of nuclear war.
    An excellent movie called "13 Days" does a fairly good job of showing how close we were to blowing up the world.

How was it avoided last time?
    Wonder what they can do this time to avoid it again?

#7965 39 days ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

For a moment I thought it was one of those 2-handled banana polishers.

I have a 2 handed banana polisher at home. She's vacuuming right now.

#7966 39 days ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

After Khrushchev gave orders to run the blockade. Kennedy sent out orders to 2400 airborne B52 bombers with targets in Russia to hit.

8 hours later Khrushchev backed down. So did we.

Of course we didn't have 2400 bombers much less airborne. And we had a president on steroids.

Scary how close we were.

Quoted from DanMarino:

I hope we don't ever get that close again.

#7967 39 days ago
    Quoted from DanMarino:

Back channel communications. One of Nikita Khrushchev's war buddies was involved. Russia had a particular problem with the nuclear missiles we had in Turkey that were pointed at the USSR. These missiles took 24 hours to fuel before they could be launched. Why is that important? Because they were not defensive weapons; They were First Strike offensive weapons.

There were hardliners in both countries then. There are hardliners in both countries today.

Bobby Kennedy worked the back channels and promised the first strike missiles in Turkey would be removed, which they were a bit later.

https://history.state.gov/milestones/1961-1968/cuban-missile-crisis

How do we avoid it again? Great question. Putin has backed hisself into a corner. He has killed people who have disagreed with him. He has cost many young men, husbands, sons, brothers their lives. If if Putin were to stop I imagine he would be strung up by his heels as Mussolini was at the end of WW II. So, Putin has trapped hisself, does not value any human life but his own. It is hard to deal with a man like that.
    =================================

I was born in 1952. WW II ended in 1946. I learned about WW II by watching Hollywood movies. I learned from history; The US and allies won the war. Those who were living thru it had no idea how it would sort out. If D-Day in France had failed, we would probably be speaking German.
    ===================

So, what does the future hold for us? I grew up thinking WW II started on Dec. 7, 1941 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor. But actually, WW II got started in 1933 when Hitler pulled a political coup and took over the German govt.

Japan invaded China in 1937 in a brutal invasion.

Germany declared war on Poland in 1939 for the "official" start of WW II.

The Allies breeched the coast of France on June 6 1944. Germany surrendered in May 1945. Japan surrendered in Sept. 1945. And the war was over.

=================================

Putin made his Ukraine invasion 2 years ago. He will not stop. You can see the slow escalation in military action. I think we are on the brink of WW III unless Putin dies, but he has many hardliners right behind him to carry the torch.

Wars are easy to start and hard to stop as all the perps try to save face.

I hope this one fizzles out someway, somehow. But Putin wants his Russian Empire back to the days before 1990.

#7968 39 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Back channel communications.

Yep, level heads and negotiations. Not the most flashy, but very effective. I love the film, it's a good one. I also love talking about history, you had some good points. It's still hard to imagine Britain was on their own for 2 years before we got into the war. Thankfully Donitz didn't have enough uboats at the start, or they would have starved Britain into a brokered peace. I still have / collected a lot of time magazines from the war years. But you are right, it started in 1933 with fascism taking over a German public bitter from the toll the WWI armistice demanded of Germany - President Wilson was proven right about what those demands were going to lead to - but he wasn't the greatest at politics to get the allies to agree.

As far as Putin - Ukraine, if he doesn't decide to retreat, is going to be their new Afghanistan, where for 20 years the Russians could never conquer the country. But worse, since Ukraine is a lot more powerful than that country was at the time. You are right, there is no good solution for Putin except to fake a moral victory and retreat behind Russian propaganda. He was led to believe the US would not support the Ukraine. Somebody should have told him the reality.

#7969 39 days ago
    Quoted from HobbyGuy:

Britain was on their own for 2 years

Actually about a year and a half. After Germany invaded Russia in June 1941, things changed.

Before that Britain fully expected Russia to attack them, like when Russia grabbed half of Poland after Germany invaded Poland.

#7970 39 days ago

Anyway of you traveling though western Massachusetts this summer_fall check out the current exhibition.
    https://www.nrm.org/

#7971 39 days ago

When you saw these Hemi wheel standers live at the track

IMG_7466 (resized).JPGIMG_7466 (resized).JPGIMG_7467 (resized).JPGIMG_7467 (resized).JPG
    #7972 39 days ago

had many of these

IMG_7468 (resized).JPGIMG_7468 (resized).JPG
    #7973 39 days ago

I had one sitting on the shelf for 10 years before sending it away

IMG_7469 (resized).JPGIMG_7469 (resized).JPG
    #7974 39 days ago

You know your old when you would rather read this thread than play pinball
    (if this is a repeat sorry - too old to read all the past posts)

#7975 39 days ago

You know you’re old when you think “Ah well, if Putin nukes us I’ve had a long and productive life.”

#7976 38 days ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

Fugitive Corvette

Fugitive-1 (resized).jpgFugitive-1 (resized).jpg
    #7977 38 days ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You know you’re old when you think “Ah well, if Putin nukes us I’ve had a long and productive life.”

I was watching a show last night, young mom that had 3 weeks left to live and got screwed out of a kidney on a waiting list. I was thinking "I'd give her mine, I'm 60, I've done everything I'm gonna do pretty much".

#7978 38 days ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

I'd buy a Hemi Wheel Standers pinball machine!
    I remember going to a Jet, Rocket, Turbine and Wheelstanders show at Great Lakes Dragway, Union Grove Wisconsin around 1970. Art Arfons was there with the Green Monster drag car. Little Red Wagon, Fugitive Corvette, Hemi Under Glass and many others were there. My buddy and I were 13 and had pit passes so we could walk around and see all the cars and drivers.
    Top fuel engines have more than 5 times the horsepower now than they did back then - 11,000 HP vs 2000. 2000 seemed like a lot!!!

#7979 38 days ago
    IMG_7500 (resized).JPGIMG_7500 (resized).JPGIMG_7501 (resized).JPGIMG_7501 (resized).JPG
    #7980 38 days ago

Looks like FUN to me!

#7981 38 days ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Everyone mowed their own lawn, or paid a neighbor kid $5 to do it.
    No f—ing gas-powered leaf blowers that I can remember.
    No cordless phones, only corded.
    No pagers.
    No vape shops.
    I don’t recall seeing a roundabout in America until the 90’s.

No corded lawnmowers, nor gas-powered. Just a super-heavy steel blade that made slogging through thick or wet grass a test of brute force. I remember paying the penalty if I waited too long between cuttings. By the time I was in high school, though, we switched to gas, then electric.

Manual Mower (resized).pngManual Mower (resized).png
    #7982 38 days ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

No corded lawnmowers, nor gas-powered. Just a super-heavy steel blade that made slogging through thick or wet grass a test of brute force. I remember paying the penalty if I waited too long between cuttings. By the time I was in high school, though, we switched to gas, then electric.[quoted image]

It’s funny, my memory of those as a kid in the 60s is that it wasn’t particularly strenuous to run it. You just needed to keep it going and those blades would spin and slice. It was just a matter of pushing it along in a pattern to get the lawn done.

I did a lot of lawn mowing for neighbors for money in the summer. And raking leaves in the fall and shoveling snow from sidewalks and driveways in the winter. I don’t remember what I got paid, but I don’t think there was any paper money involved. Maybe a quarter or 50 cents for a job.

#7983 38 days ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

It’s funny, my memory of those as a kid in the 60s is that it wasn’t particularly strenuous to run it. You just needed to keep it going and those blades would spin and slice. It was just a matter of pushing it along in a pattern to get the lawn done.
    I did a lot of lawn mowing for neighbors for money in the summer. And raking leaves in the fall and shoveling snow from sidewalks and driveways in the winter. I don’t remember what I got paid, but I don’t think there was any paper money involved. Maybe a quarter or 50 cents for a job.

Most of the time we worked all day just to be able to buy a bag of chips and a Yoo-Hoo when we were done.

#7984 38 days ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

Yeah, we used to knock on peoples doors when it snowed asking to shovel their walks, I've never had a kid knock on my door wanting to do work. Lazy young punks! LOL

#7985 38 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Yeah, we used to knock on peoples doors when it snowed asking to shovel their walks, I've never had a kid knock on my door wanting to do work. Lazy young punks! LOL

They have been pussyfied with all the video games.

#7986 38 days ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

No corded lawnmowers, nor gas-powered. Just a super-heavy steel blade that made slogging through thick or wet grass a test of brute force. I remember paying the penalty if I waited too long between cuttings. By the time I was in high school, though, we switched to gas, then electric.[quoted image]

I pushed one of those in the 60s. They are still being made, but like everything else, the old ones seem to work better with their heavier blades .

#7987 38 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm sure there's a video game where they can shovel snow.

#7988 38 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

We had Paper Boy.

#7989 38 days ago
    Quoted from DCP:

Art Arfons was there with the Green Monster drag car

Correction, I'm pretty sure Arfons was driving the Super Cyclops at the time...

Art Arfons Super Cyclops (resized).jpegArt Arfons Super Cyclops (resized).jpegArt Arfons Super Cyclops 2 (resized).pngArt Arfons Super Cyclops 2 (resized).png
    #7990 38 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

You mean like Deer Hunter only it is Snow Shoveler ?

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

#7991 38 days ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Says the people on a forum dedicated to playing games...

#7992 38 days ago
    Quoted from xsvtoys:

It was okay if the grass was dry and you'd cut it within the past 5 days or so. A nice chop-chop-chopping walk. If it had been raining and thus you couldn't cut the grass for a while, though, once the rain stopped it was a real PITA to get moving.

Yes, I shoveled snow, too. In upstate NY, we say "Real snow is when you can tunnel through it." What's worse than shoveling deep snow? Having to deliver papers along a long route after a deep snow before the plows have come through or anyone has shoveled their driveway.

#7993 37 days ago
    Quoted from Oneironaut:

Most of the time we worked all day just to be able to buy a bag of chips and a Yoo-Hoo when we were done.

I remember my brother and I knocking on a neighbors door and offering to rake their leaves for a quarter. We were there about 4 hours. I walked away smarter after that.

#7994 37 days ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

rake their leaves for a quarter.

So you could play some pinball?

#7995 37 days ago
    Quoted from poppapin:I'm sure there's a video game where they can shovel snow.

IMG_2669 (resized).jpegIMG_2669 (resized).jpeg
    #7996 36 days ago
    IMG_7606 (1) (resized).JPGIMG_7606 (1) (resized).JPG
    #7997 36 days ago

..when grilling becomes whatever is left in the fridge/freeze...Happy Fathers Day!

#7998 36 days ago

True liberation

A13usaonutL._CLa|2140,2000|61sw9ticGRL.png|0,0,2140,2000+0.0,0.0,2140.0,2000.0_AC_SX522_.png (resized).jpegA13usaonutL._CLa|2140,2000|61sw9ticGRL.png|0,0,2140,2000+0.0,0.0,2140.0,2000.0_AC_SX522_.png (resized).jpeg

#7999 36 days ago

Time for a Finley walk Cotton. Mabey we’ll find booty!

FE2C3A52-D116-4123-A7BA-D9F60829C357 (resized).jpegFE2C3A52-D116-4123-A7BA-D9F60829C357 (resized).jpeg
    #8000 36 days ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Time for a Finley walk Cotton. Mabey we’ll find booty!
    [quoted image]

I had to put my little chihuahua down last summer. A couple of months later, I got a surrender dog at the rescue center. His name is Brownie. He is now 9 years and grew up in a house with 3 dogs and 2 cats.

He walks well on a leash, but I try to take him where I can let him run off-leash. He loves to run. I get good, needed exercise trying to keep up

I have 4 locations I rotate to that are good for off-leash walking.

IMG_4254 (resized).jpgIMG_4254 (resized).jpg
    IMG_4255 (resized).jpgIMG_4255 (resized).jpg

There are 8,443 posts in this topic. You are on page 160 of 169.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.