Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,619 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 hours ago by bob_e
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN9010 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20240424_173431.jpg
    438712280_7241935899188350_8066440579298486095_n (resized).jpg
    MV5BMWE3ZThjM2UtMTg2NS00NjY3LTk5ZGEtMTdlYmY3OGE2ZmZlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    There are 7,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 153.
    #5751 1 year ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

His "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions" always cracked me up.

No that was the copy cat version with their own 'Alfred E. Neumann' character!

30543971434 (resized).jpg30543971434 (resized).jpg
    #5752 1 year ago
    ld4412 (resized).pngld4412 (resized).png
    #5753 1 year ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

Too bad. Mr Jaffee was a key contributer of MAD magazine.
    His "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions" always cracked me up.
    I LOVED satire and sarcasm. As I grew up I found some good
    inspiration from these:
    MAD magazine
    Archie Bunker
    Don Rickles
    Bugs Bunny

Ahhh! And how could I forget this classic source of sarcasm and star power:
    The "Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts" from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas!
    Those were great. I still watch 'em once in awhile.

#5754 1 year ago

Found this today while cleaning out my basement. Was 20 then!

20230417_133524 (resized).jpg20230417_133524 (resized).jpg
    #5755 1 year ago

Oh ..what a lucky man he was!

#5756 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Found this today while cleaning out my basement. Was 20 then!
    [quoted image]

1977: $8.50 to get in the door. Before the limousine crowd discovered rock and roll.

In 1977 it cost me $7.00 to see The Eagles. I was 25.

#5757 1 year ago
    Quoted from RTS:

(I actually like those old Herman's Hermits songs.)

In the late 1980’s -1990’s at work we used to listen to The Howard Stern show each morning on the company boom box. Peter Noone was one of the best guests ever. He sang a parody of his song “ Mrs Brown you’ve got a lovely daughter” called “ Don’t have lunch with Jeffry Dahmer” that was hilarious. Peter has a great sense of humor. Look it up on YouTube if you’ve never heard it.

#5758 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

1977: $8.50 to get in the door. Before the limousine crowd discovered rock and roll.
    In 1977 it cost me $7.00 to see The Eagles. I was 25.

Yep, Ted Nugent 1978... 8 bucks!

#5759 1 year ago

I remember around 1980 when Van Halen charged $15.50 for tickets...i was outraged.....

#5760 1 year ago

Rolling Stones at JFK in Philly. $12.00, 1981

#5761 1 year ago

Beatles $5.00. I was with my big brother and his girlfriend.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
    #5762 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbee:

[quoted image]

Wow impressive.

Back in '66 I was rockin' to The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round.

#5763 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinbee:

[quoted image]

Interesting that the Beatles were so big at that time that this ticket does not say The Beatles. It just shows one of the very familiar pictures we were treated to in the fan magazines.

Can you remember what it was like? Was all of that screaming going on? Were girls fainting in their seats? etc.

#5764 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Can you remember what it was like?

I recall the screaming was continuous during the whole show. Did not see anyone faint. The stage was in center field, Ringo on a high platform behind the others. They wore matching suits. "Paperback Writer" was the current hit they played. The sound "system" I think was just the on-stage amps wired in to the stadium PA. I was really impressed with how quickly they left the stage, hopped in two limos, and sped off the field.

#5765 1 year ago

Remember your first big screen TV?

IMG_2952 (resized).jpgIMG_2952 (resized).jpg

IMG_2953 (resized).jpgIMG_2953 (resized).jpg

#5766 1 year ago

Remember when you paid 1000 for your first flat screen

#5767 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I paid $1200 for my first VCR, and that was like 1978 money!

#5768 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I remember the lamps on my Samsung getting contaminated with some kind of growth. It would cause shadows on the screen. They were cool back in the day though.

#5769 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I remember the lamps on my Samsung getting contaminated with some kind of growth. It would cause shadows on the screen. They were cool back in the day though.

Oh yeah, the footballers went for them big time. I never could afford one.

#5770 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I am not an early adopter. I waited until they were way below $1000.00 to around $500.00

In 1977, I was working for my dad. He had a vacuum cleaner sales and repair store. I went to this family's house one evening for a reason I cannot remember. I know I was not trying to sell a vacuum cleaner.

The guy was road grader driver for the county so he did not have a lot of extra money lying around. The house was an old two story style farmhouse.

4 things:

1) He was a real nice guy. And was missing one half of one of his hands.

3) For a wife, he had what I could argue was the most ugly woman alive.

3) They had two of the most beautiful teenage daughters I ever laid eyes on. Bacon's tongue would have been dragging the floor right next to mine

and

4) He had a fairly new color TV. CRT screen. And he was proud that he was able to pay $1000.00 for that TV. Told me that 3 or 4 times.

#5771 1 year ago

Bowery Boys were the best! I still enjoy watching their movies

#5772 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

When we finished the basement, I had them make a big rectangular hole in the wall for my 65” RPTV. The hole is still there, but it’s covered by my 120” screen. I think I’ll sell the projector and screen with the house, lol.

#5773 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I am not an early adopter. I waited until they were way below $1000.00 to around $500.00

I bought my rear projector when they hit ~$1K for a 52". That was ~2000. Something like that anyway. I've generally paid ~$1K for my TVs when I bought new. I have a hard time paying more than that for a TV. I liked the plasmas. LCD/LED was always disappointing in some way. Got burned on a Hisense that crapped out about a year after the warranty was over. Loving the OLEDS, especially Sony, and I've watched quite a bit of TV on an LG C1 too. Don't love their prices new. So I just watch Marketplace and Craigslist when I'm looking for one. There's always eventually someone moving who doesn't want to move that big fragile TV. Wait for it to get near the price I want to pay, then make my offer. As long as there's no burn in and the hours are low enough. It's a great deal for me, if I get it home without cracking it. So far, so good...

The older I get, that's gonna be harder to do I suppose...

#5774 1 year ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I bought my rear projector when they hit ~$1K for a 52". That was ~2000. Something like that anyway. I've generally paid ~$1K for my TVs when I bought new. I have a hard time paying more than that for a TV. I liked the plasmas. LCD/LED was always disappointing in some way. Got burned on a Hisense that crapped out about a year after the warranty was over. Loving the OLEDS, especially Sony, and I've watched quite a bit of TV on an LG C1 too. Don't love their prices new. So I just watch Marketplace and Craigslist when I'm looking for one. There's always eventually someone moving who doesn't want to move that big fragile TV. Wait for it to get near the price I want to pay, then make my offer. As long as there's no burn in and the hours are low enough. It's a great deal for me, if I get it home without cracking it. So far, so good...
    The older I get, that's gonna be harder to do I suppose...

Big Screens, 65" plus are starting to get common in the pawn shops. If I need another TV in future, I will hit the pawn shops first. The TVs are usually next to the saxophones and trumpets.

#5775 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

When we finished the basement, I had them make a big rectangular hole in the wall for my 65” RPTV. The hole is still there, but it’s covered by my 120” screen. I think I’ll sell the projector and screen with the house, lol.

I can hear the realtor: This home has all the modern conveniences, etc. And the TV is negotiable.

120" ? You could make your back yard into a drive in theater. From my north living room wall my 65" leaves me with approx. 2 1/2 feet of wall space to the front door jamb. A 120" would keep me from closing my front door.

120/12= a 10 foot TV ! Diagonally, of course. But still huge.

#5776 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Big Screens, 65" plus are starting to get common in the pawn shops. If I need another TV in future, I will hit the pawn shops first. The TVs are usually next to the saxophones and trumpets.

If it hits the Pawn Shops, it's been moved at least twice. The cherry TVs I try to find ain't gonna hit the pawn shops.

#5777 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I can hear the realtor: This home has all the modern conveniences, etc. And the TV is negotiable.
    120" ? You could make your back yard into a drive in theater. From my north living room wall my 65" leaves me with approx. 2 1/2 feet of wall space to the front door jamb. A 120" would keep me from closing my front door.
    120/12= a 10 foot TV ! Diagonally, of course. But still huge.

It's a good move on his part. He probably wants something newer anyway.

#5778 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I paid $1200 for my first VCR, and that was like 1978 money!

Check that. I just came across some old papers I was using for insurance purposes listing all of my AV equipment. Says the VCR was $1595!

#5779 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Check that. I just came across some old papers I was using for insurance purposes listing all of my AV equipment. Says the VCR was $1595!

That's about what I paid for my first video camera in 1986 - it was this exact one. You had to attach the viewfinder and plug it in.

Caught a lot of great memories on this thing though.

s-l500 (resized).jpgs-l500 (resized).jpg
    #5780 1 year ago

You know you are old when you remember playing marbles in elementary school, and flinging hockey cards for keeps..

#5781 1 year ago
    Quoted from hwyhed:

flinging hockey cards for keeps..

Was baseball cards for us! I should have kept those cards, who knew.

#5782 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Sounds like my HD capable DirecTV DVR. It got all of 3 or 4 HD channels at the time for the cool price of $1K. Totally wasn't worth it.

#5786 12 months ago
    24F5D3CE-D3C0-46EB-85DE-6BCFFCB22061 (resized).jpeg24F5D3CE-D3C0-46EB-85DE-6BCFFCB22061 (resized).jpeg
    #5787 12 months ago

R.I.P. Harry Belafonte, one of the most amazing humans to exist in my lifetime.

You know you're old when you have to explain who Jim Henson was and why Belafonte was at his funeral.

#5788 12 months ago

I still drive a car that has those keys and windows....lol. In nice weather that is.

#5789 12 months ago
    Quoted from mymalibu:

I still drive a car that has those keys and windows....lol. In nice weather that is.

I miss those wing windows.

#5790 12 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

The old age squeeze is coming on. I will need to be having cataract surgery. On the bright side, it is a common procedure with a 1% risk rate.
    And there is a new replacement lens on the market to replace the lens that is surgically removed. It is called a Toric lens. And there is very strong possibility that my vision can be corrected to 20-20 and the astigmatism ( coke bottle lens vision) completely be eliminated.
    If this works out, then for the first time in 55 years I will be able to walk into a store and buy a pair of cheap sunglasses. And then wear them out the door.
    I tried hard contact lenses in the early 70s. The vision correction was much improved when compared to wearing glasses. In the end, they were too much of a hassle to wear so I gave them up. I also had to give up the cheap sunglasses. My game at the pool table was much improved---I could see those cuts like never before; But the hassle factor was still too great.
    Got my fingers crossed.

Last week I had cataract surgery performed on my left eye. Man, medical technology is fantastic. I have been wearing glasses since I was 10 years old; I have heavy astigmatism in both eyes. Reaching for my glasses is the first thing I do when I wake up.

I am entering a new paradigm in my life. There are some special cataract lenses that can correct astigmatism; These lenses are not cheap but I wanted to go for the gusto.

The results for vision improvement are immediate. The first thing I did when I got home from the surgery was to remove the left eye lens from my glasses frames.

Each day the vision keeps improving. I did some highway driving today. I can see all the way down the block and read the street sign. I can read all the signs.

My right eye is scheduled to be done on May 18. I can hardly wait.

It is going to be so different. Now, I will be able to do anything without wearing prescription eyewear. I will be able to go into Walmart and buy a pair of cheap sunglasses and wear them out the door.

But there is a tradeoff. While my long range vision and mid range vision have been splendidly corrected, my short range vision as been altered as well.

I am going to have to get a pair of reading glasses and carry them with me everywhere. There are going to be some things close up I will not able to read very well.

Where I use to have to get my face in close to see some things clearly, my near sightedness has been replaced by far sightedness and I need to get a longer pair of arms

I'm stoked! And would do the left eye again. I can hardly wait for the right eye to be fixed up, too.

#5791 12 months ago

I remember going to the New York World's Fair with my parents in 1964 and speaking to someone across the country using AT&T's prototype Videophone; it was a Big Deal at their booth. I think the people on the other end were at Disneyland.

I had another bit of flashback last week; I paid a visit to the RV & Motor Home Museum in Elkhart, IN one morning before PATZ opened. The museum had a couple of Osborne 1 PCs on display. Yep, had one of those 40 years ago. Built-in screen (no external monitor needed, but I later got one) smaller than today's smartphone screens.

Re those GM keys, I was hiking in the hills near our house one day last spring and found a set of GM car keys of that vintage lying in the brush. No idea how many years (or decades) they'd been there.

#5792 12 months ago

Jerry Springer has left us.

I have watched some of his shows for comic relief. And I always wondered what kind of money he paid to get people on his show so they could make
    complete idiots of theirselves.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/28/entertainment/jerry-springer-cause-death/index.html

#5794 11 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Jerry Springer has left us.
    I have watched some of his shows for comic relief. And I always wondered what kind of money he paid to get people on his show so they could make
    complete idiots of theirselves.
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/04/28/entertainment/jerry-springer-cause-death/index.html

I doubt those people were compensated at all, I think they got a free hotel and possibly airfare, though I wouldn't bet money on the airfare.

#5795 11 months ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

I doubt those people were compensated at all, I think they got a free hotel and possibly airfare, though I wouldn't bet money on the airfare.

I wonder what the “cash me outside, how bout dat?” girl is doing now. I bet I’ll feel old if I find a current pic of her.

EDIT: sorry, that was Dr. Phil:

#5796 11 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I wonder what the “cash me outside, how bout dat?” girl is doing now. I bet I’ll feel old if I find a current pic of her.

She's doing great. If you can believe the headlines. Oprah -> Dr. Phil -> Cash Me Outside Girl -> Millions of fellas paying a monthly sub for something to wank it to.

#5797 11 months ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Prime example of ignorance is bliss. A lot of stupid people do not know they are stupid.

#5798 11 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Prime example of ignorance is bliss. A lot of stupid people do not know they are stupid.

Makes me periodically wonder, am I the stupid one?

#5799 11 months ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Makes me periodically wonder, am I the stupid one?

Well, if you are happy 24/7 then I suppose you have reason to wonder

#5800 11 months ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Well, if you are happy 24/7 then I suppose you have reason to wonder

7k9z6z.gif7k9z6z.gif
    There are 7,619 posts in this topic. You are on page 116 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/116 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.