Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,611 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 hours ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    There are 7,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 153.
    #451 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gomer1969:

I was talking to a younger Bald co-worker lamenting the fact that my hair is thinning. He told me to just shave it off.
    I said no way I wouldn't look good bald I would look like Kojak. He just looked at me and said who?
    God I thought everyone new Kojak.
    [quoted image]

Hey Gomer, I'm sure most people wouldn't know who Gomer Pyle is either...What about Roy Rogers & Dale Evans?

#452 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Hey Gomer, I'm sure most people wouldn't know who Gomer Pyle is either...What about Roy Rogers & Dale Evans?

My son knows who Roy Rogers is. He's the guy with the Roast Beef restaurants on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Turnpikes, also the Garden State Parkway, New York Thruway and Chesapeake House service center on the JFK memorial highway in Maryland.

Added over 6 years ago:

Also, the Maryland House service center on the JFK Memorial Highway ( I-95 ).

#453 5 years ago

You've forgotten how to skip.

#454 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

My son knows who Roy Rogers is. He's the guy with the Roast Beef restaurants on the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Turnpikes, also the Garden State Parkway, New York Thruway and Chesapeake House service center on the JFK memorial highway in Maryland.

Those restaurants still around? Loved the roast beef sandwiches. Used to be a lot of RR franchises in the Philly area that all turned into Boston Market.

#455 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I saw an older couple in a restaurant at the register dressing down the young waitress: "You don't know who Bonnie and Clyde were? How can you not know who B & C were?" I wanted to go up and say that they probably did not know who B & C were, either, until they saw Warren Beaty and Faye Dunaway in the movie and the movie was 50 years old.

Quoted from poppapin:

Those restaurants still around? Loved the roast beef sandwiches. Used to be a lot of RR franchises in the Philly area that all turned into Boston Market.

I was thinking the same thing. I have not seen RR for years.

#456 5 years ago

Didn't RR have a brother into Chicken?

Kidding kidding....

#457 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Yes, a close one to you is at the Peter J. Camiel service plaza (formerly known as the Brandywine plaza) on America's First Superhighway, the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

I neglected to also mention the one in the Frank S. Farley Service Center on the Atlantic City Expressway.

Screenshot_20180901-173831 (resized).pngScreenshot_20180901-173831 (resized).png
    #458 5 years ago

When you remember your dad going to work wearing one of those iridescent suits.

63ac26a73c82dce1006788b56eab8fe1 (resized).jpg63ac26a73c82dce1006788b56eab8fe1 (resized).jpg

#459 5 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Emacs and edline editors. Kermit protocol and when z-modem came out it was the first file transfer protocol that would pick up the file download where you left off when you lost your 300 baud connection. It was great for the huge 100kb files you were downloading from your local BBS.
    I worked for ITT in the 80's and my remote computer was a 300 baud acoustic couple, thermal paper terminal. You had to shove the old-style phone in the back into two rubber cups.
    How about programming on paper tape or Hollerith punch cards.

When you know the real first Apple II Pacman clone was Taxman, and you know Brian personally, ed and ex where your line editors, you did most of your code in bin/hex or mnemonics, wrote an assembler and knew what firmware was and designed it, debugged it, and wrote emulators to do so for cross platforms. Them were times potentially simpler and much 'better.' Nah.

#460 5 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Good times.
    Went on the Olympia brewery tour back in the day & they had a tasting room at the end... as much free beer as you wanted[quoted image][quoted image]

Or when you went to camp on the Tumwater River, skinny dipped and let an Oly run from your wanker into the river while singing the slogan 'Its the water... and a lot more".

#461 5 years ago

You remember when TV stations used to sign off to the national anthem. Before going off the air for the rest of the night.

The Canadian one in the second video they used to play at movie theatres before the movie would start. As well as on late night TV before going off the air.

#462 5 years ago

You remember when razors only had one blade.

#463 5 years ago

True one, Yesterday....

You know you are old when it takes 4 hours to install a new Door Lock, and Deadbolt.

Dont ask...Im still hurting!

#464 5 years ago

Ok Art. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you.

You needed my deadbolt kit. 15 minutes tops.

IMG_4568 (resized).JPGIMG_4568 (resized).JPG
    #465 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

You needed my deadbolt kit. 15 minutes tops. [quoted image]

I really liked the Ilco hand crank jig and boring tool used for tubular deadbolt locks. This was prior to battery-powered tools being available. The shaft of the bit was threaded and you cranked it in and it went through the wood in no time flat, it even worked on residential steel doors.

The locksmith I worked for in high school summers had one. I personally have an old Kwikset dual hole model. Haven't used it in years though.

Yes, time is money for Locksmiths.

#466 5 years ago
    Quoted from Travish:

You needed my deadbolt kit. 15 minutes tops. [quoted image]

Too Funny! Now Im medicating my back pain to finish priming the trim.
    Then on to some Electrical.....I know what to do, Im just too f)(cking old to bend so much.
    Sucks when Heating Pads and Pain Meds are now my best Friend!

Quoted from MrBally:

I really liked the Ilco hand crank jig and boring tool used for tubular deadbolt locks. This was prior to battery-powered tools being available. The shaft of the bit was threaded and you cranked it in and it went through the wood in no time flat, it even worked on residential steel doors.

Im not sure what brand, but I loved my hand crank deadbolt drill I had 30 years ago.
    Clamp and Go!

Im putting on an 8-track tape, and kicking back on my Black and White TV and watch the Munsters!
    Labor Day rest for all of us!!

#467 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

The locksmith I worked for in high school summers had one. I personally have an old Kwikset dual hole model. Haven't used it in years though.
    Yes, time is money for Locksmiths.

Mine is the kwikset with the second set of holes sawed off. Nobody uses 5" backset and the length just gets in the way when you have window trim. Years ago someone sold a set of reducing rings so you could use your kwikset jig for Schlage size holes. You just can't get good stuff anymore. Just like us medium age folks.

IMG_4569 (resized).JPGIMG_4569 (resized).JPG
    #468 5 years ago

When you turn your main breaker off to do two lamps and a switch. Because everything is blurry and you need bifocals and you don't think you can trust yourself enough not to get shocked. And it takes a lot longer than it should and you keep saying how stupid this is.

#469 5 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

When you turn your main breaker off to do two lamps and a switch. Because everything is blurry and you need bifocals and you don't think you can trust yourself enough not to get shocked. And it takes a lot longer than it should and you keep saying how stupid this is.

Way too True....Ive got a ton of Electrical this week, and its 95% just moving Boxes in an open Frame, or running Longer wires to Junction Box.
    I know I can do this,but Im not an Electrician. I know I could do 6 hours worth, that would save me a bundle, and turn off the breakers, but is it worth it?
    Nah, Shopped out Whoa Nellie Instead....Old Man Adventures in Hard Work!

#470 5 years ago

After a Friday night of drinking you wake up the next day...not thinking “did I say anything stupid at the bars” but “did I post anything stupid on pinside” Yup, I’ve done that. Too old for the bars.

#471 5 years ago

You are in a bar with your buddies, then a couple of Cougars come by and strike up a conversation. You then realise they are in their late 90's.

#472 5 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

You are in a bar with your buddies, then a couple of Cougars come by and strike up a conversation. You then realise they are in their late 90's.

You know you're old when hot chicks are born in the late 90's.

#473 5 years ago

You know you are old when you think about how this "You know you are older" thread may outlive you

#474 5 years ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Going back further....how about Will Rogers?

#475 5 years ago

When good cartoons had road runners and rabbits getting smashed to smithereens.

#476 5 years ago

You have to explain to your daughter, why your watch makes a ticking sound.......

Yes.....I still wear one of those.

E

#477 5 years ago

8 Track tapes!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #478 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

8 Track tapes![quoted image]

No comment.

#479 5 years ago

When;..
    You still mow with a 1965 Simplicity Landlord. When that is down you use the 66 Allis Chalmers B-110.
    Still drive a 1970 Chevy C-10 daily
    Go out on the lake in a 1955 Barbour mahogany boat
    Have a large Kenmore fan in your living room
    Your guests sleep on a rope Cannonball bed and you know how to string it with a bed key
    Your newest fishing rod is from 1962.
    You learned to swing nunchaku and still do
    Still learning new recording techniques with stand-alone CD recorders, 4 track Porta-Studio and treasure Professional Cassette tapes.
    You have at least one working Tube radio that you use.
    All of your cookware is cast iron, all of your furniture is solid wood, and all of it is old

#480 5 years ago

You have academic discussions about the differences between the "Thunderbirds" series. [Marionettes rule, btw]

#481 5 years ago

When you don't stay on the strip in Vegas anymore with the 30 and below crowd all decked out in 4 inch heels and major attitude. If you stay downtown with the bingo crew like me...your old.

#482 5 years ago

20180904_210604 (resized).jpg20180904_210604 (resized).jpg

#483 5 years ago

That's still an option at one local arcade!!

#484 5 years ago

....when you remember when nobody knew what a bagel was!
    ....when you remember life before microwave ovens (how did we live without them?).

#485 5 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

8 Track tapes![quoted image]

I remember we had a 4 track player at home way before 8 tracks.

#486 5 years ago

Willie Nelson sung about "Old Friends" in the 70s-80s. When I was younger and I saw a couple old dudes out and around I would think they were real old friends.

Now that I am older, I think in terms that those old geezers probably barely knew each other because all of their real old friends have already rode of into the sunset. And the only thing these two had in common was that they could still fog a mirror with their breath.

Can you imagine picking your new friend because he is the only other codger in the room still standing besides yourself?

#487 5 years ago

When you actually went to the concerts and bought the vinyl records as they came out, of all of today's pinball machine bands.

#488 5 years ago

Do you remember when your family got a color TV? (Of course, some of your friends already had them...).

How about the rotor on the TV antenna?

#489 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

Do you remember when your family got a color TV?

Not just a color TV, but a Zenith color TV with a Space Command 600 remote control.

zenith_space_command (resized).jpgzenith_space_command (resized).jpg
    #490 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

Do you remember when your family got a color TV? (Of course, some of your friends already had them...).
    How about the rotor on the TV antenna?

We got our first one (19" Sears Silvertone) to watch the 1969 Apollo 11 mission. Got it in June. How disappointing it was to see the moon walk cameras were black & white.

#491 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Not just a color TV, but a Zenith color TV with a Space Command 600 remote control. [quoted image]

A true clicker, well, chime-o-matic. Could have fun rattling a ring of keys by the TV to get the barrel motor a spinnin'.

#492 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

We got our first one (19" Sears Silvertone) to watch the 1969 Apollo 11 mission. Got it in June. How disappointing it was to see the moon walk cameras were black & white.

I remember the "Heidi Bowl" shortly after we got ours... learned some new words from my dad that day!

#493 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

A true clicker, well, chime-o-matic. Could have fun rattling a ring of keys by the TV to get the barrel motor a spinnin'.

My old man loved putting on his smoking jacket and hoisting his brandy snifter and settling in for a night of prime time TV, so he went out and bought the first color console on our street. Must have been darn expensive at the time, but he saved his pennies for such things.

As a benefit, us kids got to watch Gilligan's Island as it made it's transition to color. That TV worked great all the way to the early 80s, when old sets like that became not so cable compatible.

#494 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Im too young for that, but WOW never thought of it before!!! Color T.V. and moon landing was B/W!

#495 5 years ago

Damn it!!!

Immediately after my last post I thought....

Remember when B/W meant black and white!

#496 5 years ago
    Quoted from pacmanretro:

Im too young for that, but WOW never thought of it before!!! Color T.V. and moon landing was B/W!

It would've been too hard to fake the moon landing in color

#497 5 years ago

In my small town my dad was the Ford dealer. One of his drinking buddies was local appliance guy who sold refrigerators etc. The drinking buddy was also the RCA TV guy. And he also bought Fords from my dad. You can see where this is going.

In 1959, I came home from 1st grade and walked into the house to see this RCA color TV. It was a steel box sitting on those 1950s tapered post legs. The steel cabinet was painted with faux wood grain like the cars of the day. In my viewing area the only show that was broadcast in color was Bonanza.

#498 5 years ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

It would've been too hard to fake the moon landing in color

LOL. We went to some friends house and had a bbq and watched it on a good old fashioned black and whit with rabbit ears.

Still amazes me how they got the shot of Neil Armstrong climbing down the ladder and putting his foot down from a camera outside the craft.

#499 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Still amazes me how they got the shot of Neil Armstrong climbing down the ladder and putting his foot down from a camera outside the craft.

The TV camera recording Neil's first small step was mounted in the LEM ( Lunar Excursion Module ) . Neil released it from it's cocoon by pulling a cable to open a trap door prior to exiting the LEM that first time down the ladder.

LTG : )

#500 5 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Our Zenith B&W teevee was a 26" so the color teevee was a downgrade in size. On a metal stand. IIRC, it was $299.00. We started having problems with it (colors started "rolling" across the screen) After three repairs by teevee repair department at Sears, my dad worked out a deal and they delivered a 25 or 26" in a nice wood cabinet and took the 19" one and stand back. The big one was $449.00 IIRC.

Big money for a City of Detroit Carpenter making aboot $3.00/hour.

There are 7,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/10?hl=pinmagnet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.