Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,611 posts
  • 444 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by o-din
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

helper (resized).jpg
    Beautiful Cynthia and my '68 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6347 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    downloadEMpire. (resized).jpg
    old (resized).jpg
    IMG_20240415_211624.jpg
    sddefault (resized).jpg
    IMG_1735 (resized).jpeg
    Unknown (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_2024-04-13-22-29-53-10_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    c78990c1b036b7aac3abeab5dbf147d7.gif
    IMG_4965 (resized).JPG
    chip can (resized).jpg
    IMG_4874 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_2024-04-07-13-43-03-50_680d03679600f7af0b4c700c6b270fe7.jpg
    There are 7,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 153.
    #5251 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

KFF got a lot of airplay in the day. It was a dance song. I was spinning records at the enlisted men's club on Friday and Saturday nights back then. The girls liked it and liked to dance to it; Therefore a lot of guys liked it
    After my job was done I would go home and maybe put on some Uriah Heep, or something else along those lines.
    The other big dance songs were music from K.C. and the Sunshine Band.

Something definitely strange was going on in 1974. The music was so goddamn awful, but still brings me back to simpler times.

Clap for the Wolfman
    The Night Chicago Died
    Billy Don't Be a Hero
    Hooked on a Feeling (Blue Swede's ooga shaka rendition)
    Spiders and Snakes
    Dark Lady
    Smoking in the Boy's Room
    You're Having My Baby
    The Streak
    Seasons in the Sun... the list goes on

#5252 1 year ago

i have at least 4 of those records currently in my juke box

#5253 1 year ago
    Quoted from zerbam:

i have at least 4 of those records currently in my juke box

Please tell me You're Having My Baby ain't one of em.

#5254 1 year ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Something definitely strange was going on in 1974. The music was so goddamn awful, but still brings me back to simpler times.
    Clap for the Wolfman
    The Night Chicago Died
    Billy Don't Be a Hero
    Spiders and Snakes
    Dark Lady
    You're Having My Baby
    The Streak

Oh yes, The Streak--Ray Stevens. And all of these idiots running across the 50 yard line in their tennis shoes.

You are correct. It is a long list of some strange songs.

But you still had ZZ Top. Led Zeppelin. Wings. The Eagles. Joe Walsh. Neil Young. Fleetwood Mac. Pink Floyd. Aerosmith. Jethro Tull. Lynyrd Skynyrd. And many more.

#5255 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

KFF got a lot of airplay in the day. It was a dance song. I was spinning records at the enlisted men's club on Friday and Saturday nights back then. The girls liked it and liked to dance to it; Therefore a lot of guys liked it
    After my job was done I would go home and maybe put on some Uriah Heep, or something else along those lines.
    The other big dance songs were music from K.C. and the Sunshine Band.

Uriah Heep!
    Sweet Lorraine, let the party carry on!
    My girlfriend's name was Lorraine. Oh YEAH!

#5256 1 year ago

Somehow I got reminded of "The Curly Shuffle" by Jump in the Saddle Band...they were a local band in the north suburbs of Chicago in the 80s and later. I'm pretty sure all of the guys still play in some band or other...I saw the singer, Peter Quinn, in a band called "Skip Towne and the Greyhounds" about 15 years ago. Another friend of mine was playing bass with him - they have never stopped gigging since high school in the 60s and 70s.
    This made me laugh this morning! They actually got to #15 on Billboard in 1984 with this song, their one and only hit.
    This is Jump in the Saddle Band playing the Curly Shuffle at Volunteer Jam X in Nashville TN, February 4, 1984:

#5257 1 year ago
    Quoted from DCP:

Somehow I got reminded of "The Curly Shuffle" by Jump in the Saddle Band...they were a local band in the north suburbs of Chicago in the 80s and later. I'm pretty sure all of the guys still play in some band or other...I saw the singer, Peter Quinn, in a band called "Skip Towne and the Greyhounds" about 15 years ago. Another friend of mine was playing bass with him - they have never stopped gigging since high school in the 60s and 70s.
    This made me laugh this morning! They actually got to #15 on Billboard in 1984 with this song, their one and only hit.
    This is Jump in the Saddle Band playing the Curly Shuffle at Volunteer Jam X in Nashville TN, February 4, 1984:

Those guys are pretty good.

#5258 1 year ago
    Quoted from RTS:

Clap for the Wolfman
    The Night Chicago Died
    Billy Don't Be a Hero
    Spiders and Snakes
    Dark Lady
    You're Having My Baby
    The Streak

That's my childhood too, i was 10 in 1974, wouldn't change growing up in the 70s for anything.

My older stepbrothers introduced me to Aerosmith and KISS and Van Halen later in the decade.

Along w JAWS, Star Wars, Smokey and the Bandit and the other great flicks, I have fond memories that will last me forever, and reminders all over my game room.

#5259 1 year ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

My first 45 was "Kung Fu Fighting" purchased at Woolworths. Pretty sure it made one of many "Worst Songs of All Time" lists by Rolling Stone magazine.

True, but it’s still better than 90% of the crap on the radio today. I hate going into a store that’s playing top 40 these days, can’t wait to get out, out, out of the store, store, store.

#5260 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

True, but it’s still better than 90% of the crap on the radio today. I hate going into a store that’s playing top 40 these days, can’t wait to get out, out, out of the store, store, store.

I often wear earplugs in stores.
    I never thought I'd say it, but I really miss Muzak!

#5261 1 year ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

All of that.

The last few months I was working, a co-worker kept his radio on some golden oldies station. That was OK; It was music I came of age with in the 70s.

What was not OK is the play list seemed like it was just the top 20 songs of the era and I started hearing some 40 year old songs 4 or 5 times during the shift. What made it worse is the DJ was some 20 year old, punk ass kid who would start talking before the song was over (oh, the memories) and sounding all breathless like Led Zep's Black Dog was released yesterday.

#5262 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

"……..I really miss Muzak!"

Jesus.....you ARE getting old!

#5263 1 year ago

I'm in a tizzy. The Indiana Jones of Canada was at my house today. Stephen Fenech and his wolf canine. Author/award winning film maker, not the I.t guy.

#5264 1 year ago

I couldn't hide my adulation, was forgetful and mabey embarrassed myself.

#5265 1 year ago

Sexy beer store photo and dinner! Will I have to remove my future dentures to future enhale a panzerotti?

20220908_185841 (resized).jpg20220908_185841 (resized).jpg20220908_192347 (resized).jpg20220908_192347 (resized).jpg
    #5266 1 year ago

I heard an old Chinese proverb.

A man is a young man when a woman can make happy or make him sad.

He is middle aged when a woman can make him happy but not sad.

And he is a old man when a woman can make him neither happy or sad.

#5267 1 year ago

I wondered, I looked it up, I LOLed:

1974 also had "Lovin' You" by Minnie Ripperton. Egads.

#5268 1 year ago

Nice finley dog walk score...vintage fold out drink cart with excellent condition castors wheels!

20220911_184907 (resized).jpg20220911_184907 (resized).jpg20220912_131315 (resized).jpg20220912_131315 (resized).jpg20220912_131351 (resized).jpg20220912_131351 (resized).jpg
    #5269 1 year ago

The greatest prog rock album of all time turns 50 tomorrow (9/13/2022).
    "Close To The Edge", by YES.
    An absolute masterwork. Play it LOUD tomorrow!

Yes-close (resized).jpgYes-close (resized).jpg
    #5270 1 year ago

Excellent choice..having a listen now JR!

20220912_163424 (resized).jpg20220912_163424 (resized).jpg
    #5271 1 year ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

The greatest prog rock album of all time turns 50 tomorrow (9/13/2022).
    "Close To The Edge", by YES.
    An absolute masterwork. Play it LOUD tomorrow!
    [quoted image]

I can count the concerts I have been to on two hands. Yes happened on the first hand. Dallas 1971

#5272 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I can count the concerts I have been to on two hands. Yes happened on the first hand. Dallas 1971

And I could go A-to-Z with all the concerts I've seen.
    It'd what we did.

#5273 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'd need a lot of hands!

#5274 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I was lucky enough to see at least 50 during the late 70's, early 80's. 1st was Van Halen leading off for Black Sabbath at the Spectrum in Philly. I was scared to death when I saw the drunken crowd. They were chanting "One Two Three Four, open up the Fucking Door!" The Spectrum had huge glass windows and the crowd pushed so hard a guy was shoved thru one into a sealed off area and he was laying in a pile of broken glass. Then the police on horses broke the crowd up.

In the bathroom, a guy was yelling, "Pot, hash and acid, what you need?".

Tickets were usually $4.50, 5.50, 6.50. So $20 would get a ticket, 6 pack and a T-shirt.

#5275 1 year ago

History is unfolding, another seared memory. The seared memories are sure starting to pile up!

20220913_144941 (resized).jpg20220913_144941 (resized).jpg
    #5276 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Please tell us your experience? That would be cool

#5277 1 year ago
    Quoted from rollitover:

And I could go A-to-Z with all the concerts I've seen.
    It'd what we did.

Please do...would like to pick out some bands and ask about experience
    Cheers

#5278 1 year ago

Best for me Ronnie James Dio
    Fleetwood Mac,,,etc etc

#5279 1 year ago

Floyd , Rush...moody blues, van Halen (hagar)

#5280 1 year ago

Zeppelin no quarter tour was outstanding

#5281 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

David Bowie Ziggy Stardust tour was amazing in a small theater venue.

#5282 1 year ago

I saw The Who in LA in 1982, General Admission. Pete’s arm was in a cast. My friend wrestled his way to the front of the crowd and came home with 2 cracked ribs and a big smile.

#5283 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

David Bowie Ziggy Stardust tour was amazing in a small theater venue.

Wow. I guess so ..and you memories?

#5284 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Wow. I guess so ..and you memories?

Mick Ronsons guitar solo on Moonage Daydream for one.

#5285 1 year ago

Too funny how stoned my sister and I were at blue oyster cult at Canada wonderland! Great times

#5286 1 year ago

She sent me out to buy the weed. So me and my buddy did just that! Great concert..take me away was awesome with cool lighting.

#5287 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

1964-65: First concert I went to was to see Paul Revere and the Raiders at our local Cotillion, which is basically a dance hall with a stage. Size is about 2000 people. I was 13 or 14. This was before weed. Since The Cotillion is a dance floor, we were all sitting in chairs that had been placed on the dance floor for the occasion. We were all well behaved 8th graders.

1967?: My best experience was getting to see the Yardbirds with Jimmy Page on lead. Again at The Cotillion. Wichita was sort of a "hey, we have an extra day between Dallas and Kansas City. We got a chance to pick up this extra gig in Wichita along the way" type of deal.

I was right down at the stage standing in front of Keith Relf as he sang and played harmonica. Jimmy Page was wearing some sort of shawl looking jacket and he had his psychedelic painted Telecaster. And he also whipped out his violin bow.Again, no weed.

They were doing a cover of Jimi Hendrix " I Don't Live Today". They were rocking along and suddenly the drummer passed out and his head fell in between his double toms. It took the rest of the band a few seconds to figure out the drummer was missing in action. The drummer was taken to the hospital, as I recall.

So, now what is the band to do with no drummer. Fortunately, one of the local bands had a drummer who knew Yardbirds songs and he took over drumming duties. I think he was just a little overwhelmed to all of a sudden be a local hero. He was all scrunched down on his drummer throne.

As noted, I was hanging down in front of the stage. Close enough to see any zits they might have on their faces. I had a good time.
    ====================
    1969: Janis Joplin came to town. She played at the Field House, the basketball arena at the college campus. Can't say I remember much about it. There was no weed, but psychedelics were being sold and passed around.

===========================

1971: Next up was Quicksilver Messenger Service. I saw this band in Memphis when I was going to school at the Naval Air Station. I don't remember much about it. There was no weed. It just was not that good of show, I guess.
    ====================

1971 maybe 1972: This was the Yes concert. I was stationed at a Naval Air Station west of Dallas. My girl friend wanted to go; I had not yet heard of Yes. Honestly, I don't remember much about the show. I do remember that Chris Squire and his bass were on the right side of the stage which would be on my left.

What I remember about this concert is that it was in some conceet hall in downtown Dallas and as soon as the lights went down the lighters came out and the doobies started coming from everywhere. And that was the Yes. Yes, there was weed
    ========================

1977: The Eagles came to town. I bought 2 tickets for $7.00 each. My date plan did not work so I sold the other ticket to a guy that was hoping to get one. I did not scalp him but just passed it on for $7.00. The Eagles put on a great show!

=====================
    1994: Pink Floyd at Kansas City Arrowhead football stadium. Massive show. From my seat, David Gilmour was no bigger than my pinkie fingernail. Didn't matter. The show was so massive with flying pigs and a huge flower that opened up in mid-field. The sound was huge. I was half way up in the bleachers at about the middle of the field. We were siting down, standing up, sitting down standing up and screaming ours asses off.

I remember 2 things about this show.

1) All the limos parked out front. I did not expect that.

and

2) All those poor bastards whose seat was on the football field. They never got to sit down for the entire show. There were people milling around down in front of the stage and those poor people sitting up front could not see the band so they had ot stand up which meant everyone sitting in chairs on the field had to stand up for the entire 2 hour show.
    =========================

1997-1998? Again, The Eagles. My friend managed to get thru all the callers to a local radio station and scored 4 tickets to see the Eagles. At the Kansas City Sandstone Amphitheater. Again, The Eagles put on a great show. My enjoyment was a marred as the young girl sitting in front of me was a HUGE Eagles fan. She sang along with every song and was off-key for every song. She, as the saying goes, could not carry a tune in a bucket. I tried to tune her out as much as possible.
    =================

Sometime in the 2000s: The city has a wingding every year and brings in entertainment that either does not cost too much or is free. I got to see Elvin Bishop at a free show. My usual self was hanging down in front of the stage. I like Elvin Bishop's music and really enjoyed that show.

That's about it for my concert attendance. The Yardbirds was the best all around show for me.

#5288 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Please do...would like to pick out some bands and ask about experience
    Cheers

Oh man! Saw some good ones over the years that's for sure.
    Quick story:
    I remember one year Foreigner was touring and was
    scheduled uto play the now long gone Parade Stadium in Mpls.
    Got tickets right away as they were pretty popular.
    Turns out it got canceled-bummed us all.
    Happy ending though. Couple two three years later they made it
    back to the Twin Cites and they HONORED the tickets from
    the canceled show. Lou Gramm actually mentioned the incident
    and apologized to the fans. Righteous Mr. Gramm, quite righteous.

#5289 1 year ago

A few old concert programs from back in the day.

DSCN9618 (resized).JPGDSCN9618 (resized).JPG
    #5290 1 year ago

Some concert memories....

Catching a drumstick from Tommy Ramone.

Being at a Who concert at the Spectrum in 1979, the next on tour after the Cincinnati stampede where 11 people died. The rush to get in was horrible.

Leaving a concert (forget which) only to find out John Lennon had been shot and killed.

Not seeing Led Zep after buying tickets when Bonham died, ditto Lynyrd Skynyrd after the plane crash. Did catch the Rossington Collins band later and was 1st row at the Mann Music center in Philly and Cassie Gaines took my black cowboy hat and wore it for a couple songs before returning it.

Seeing the Police again 1st row at the Mann. Took a date who got a kiss from Sting. My night was over. There must of been a $100 worth of pills laying on that stage.

Frank Zappa at the Mann. Hot chicks with mustaches.

Aerosmith at the Spectrum. Ran to get seats right next to the stage in the 2nd level. Some asshole thru a bottle which hit Tyler during "Big Ten Inch". He got crowd justice and I only got to hear 4 songs. They walked off, show over.

Warren Zevon, fell down 3X drunk, RIP.

Seeing the Stones in an outdoor concert in Philly. Huge sign, "Free COKE". WTF. Sign up for a Mastercard and get a 2 liter bottle.

Leaving a concert in Philly with the munchies in late January. Guy selling soft pretzels out of a shopping cart. "How old are those pretzels?" "When was the last Eagles game?" (3 weeks) Got a cheesesteak at Gino's instead.

Loudest ever? ELO when they had a spaceship on stage, it was brutal and I was 100 yards away from the speakers.

I could go on and on.

#5291 1 year ago

You know when you are old? When this thread doesn't get visited after 9pm. LOL.

#5292 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Some concert memories....
    Catching a drumstick from Tommy Ramone.
    Being at a Who concert at the Spectrum in 1979, the next on tour after the Cincinnati stampede where 11 people died. The rush to get in was horrible.
    Leaving a concert (forget which) only to find out John Lennon had been shot and killed.
    Not seeing Led Zep after buying tickets when Bonham died, ditto Lynyrd Skynyrd after the plane crash. Did catch the Rossington Collins band later and was 1st row at the Mann Music center in Philly and Cassie Gaines took my black cowboy hat and wore it for a couple songs before returning it.
    Seeing the Police again 1st row at the Mann. Took a date who got a kiss from Sting. My night was over. There must of been a $100 worth of pills laying on that stage.
    Frank Zappa at the Mann. Hot chicks with mustaches.
    Aerosmith at the Spectrum. Ran to get seats right next to the stage in the 2nd level. Some asshole thru a bottle which hit Tyler during "Big Ten Inch". He got crowd justice and I only got to hear 4 songs. They walked off, show over.
    Warren Zevon, fell down 3X drunk, RIP.
    Seeing the Stones in an outdoor concert in Philly. Huge sign, "Free COKE". WTF. Sign up for a Mastercard and get a 2 liter bottle.
    Leaving a concert in Philly with the munchies in late January. Guy selling soft pretzels out of a shopping cart. "How old are those pretzels?" "When was the last Eagles game?" (3 weeks) Got a cheesesteak at Gino's instead.
    Loudest ever? ELO when they had a spaceship on stage, it was brutal and I was 100 yards away from the speakers.
    I could go on and on.

My buddy yelled out to Stevie nicks,...you’re beautiful! , she said thank you! And sang a ballad directed at us. We were not far from the stage. at least that’s what we keep telling ourselves!

#5293 1 year ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

A few old concert programs from back in the day.
    [quoted image]

I don't remember concert programs, and I went to a shitload back in the day.

#5294 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

I don't remember concert programs, and I went to a shitload back in the day.

I kick myself for not making sure to buy a concert T-shirt and storing away.

#5295 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

I kick myself for not making sure to buy a concert T-shirt and storing away.

Not all of them looked that great to me,but I did buy a "Kinks" shirt once.

#5296 1 year ago

I hear ya..peter Gabriel sledgehammer tour had a grey T-shirt with mini uncooked Chickens all over the back of it.

#5297 1 year ago

Tomdrum: some great shows. The one I regret missing was the ELO show you mentioned. I had tix for Montreal while at UVM. Show was cancelled because the Canadian govt was going to increase taxes they would pay if they played. ELO gave them the old FU we ain’t comin.

I ve seen many of the bands you mentioned. Ahhh…history.

#5298 1 year ago
    Quoted from poppapin:

Not all of them looked that great to me,but I did buy a "Kinks" shirt once.

Couple bands off the top of my head I wished I saw...kinks,Alice cooper,deep purple (my buddy bailed at the last second)

#5299 1 year ago
    Quoted from cdnpinbacon:

Couple bands off the top of my head I wished I saw...kinks,Alice cooper,deep purple (my buddy bailed at the last second)

I would have liked to have seen Bryan Adams and The Guess Who, and BTO, for some Canadian rock and roll.

#5300 1 year ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I would have liked to have seen Bryan Adams and The Guess Who, and BTO, for some Canadian rock and roll.

Saw BTO open for Van Halen back in the late 80s or 90s....pretty cool -

NOT FRAGILE - great album.

There are 7,611 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 153.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-know-you-are-old-when-/page/106?hl=nhpolarbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.