(Topic ID: 119619)

You Haven't Donated to Pinside? Why Not???

By beelzeboob

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

yuno.jpg
    423872_10150692521524793_1966862729_n.jpg
    There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 9 years ago

Looking at the awesome new update (thanks, Robin!), one thing that stands out is all the red hearts next to users' names. There seem to be more than ever, and that's borne out by Robin saying that he was able to find the time to do the extensive update due to all the donations he's received.

Since I found this site 18 months ago, I've pledged to myself that I'll give $20 a year to help Robin keep this website going. It's the best $20 I spend all year, since I'm on it every day and it costs me 5 cents a day for all the enjoyment I get from it.

So if you haven't sent Robin a donation...why not? Yes, the website is free. But his time is not. You don't have to send a lot. Sometimes just a little bit is enough to let him know he's doing a great job and to thank him for all his hard work.

This is an expensive hobby, and I don't see any reason why every person on this forum can't kick in something. Even if every active member sent him a dollar, that would be a nice chunk of change to help him cover his operating costs.

Okay. I feel better now.

#2 9 years ago

I set up an automatic payment of $5.00 a month awhile back so I don't forget. I spend a lot more for a lot less on things.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks for starting this thread. I thought I was donating automatically but apparently it must've shut off. Donating now.

#4 9 years ago

My heart went black the other day, so I sent Pinside $100. Thanks for starting this thread, it's good to remind people!

#5 9 years ago

Donating is voluntary, and I suspect many folks don't want to feel pressured to do so. However, I totally agree that's it's $$ well spent - and encourage others to donate as well.

#6 9 years ago

Thanks everyone, thanks Beelzeboob. Donating is absolutely voluntary but a friendly reminder to do so does not hurt anyone!

Todays updates, and day-to-day operation of the site would not be possible without the donations. There's just too many people on here now to run this site as a hobby project. And I guess in a way that's a good thing.

I'm very pleased to see that so many of you have thrown something in the hat. In addition to the Pinside heart concept, todays updates also bring some small monetizing features to the site (again, all optional):

1) feature your Marketplace ad for $10
    2) make a contribution (0.5%, 0.75%, 1% or another amount) upon successful sale of a game. You'll be asked for this when ending your ad (also new)

Again, thanks to everyone who helps out with a donation. Super cool!

#7 9 years ago

Wait...Robin...you donated to YOURSELF???

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from SunKing:

Donating is voluntary, and I suspect many folks don't want to feel pressured to do so. However, I totally agree that's it's $$ well spent - and encourage others to donate as well.

I completely agree. But I also think that if you enjoy the site, you should help out whatever way you can. And I'm pretty sure everybody who owns a pinball machine can afford a dollar donation. And there's no pressure from Robin or anybody.

I'm feeling the pressure now that I know Aurich donated $100. I feel like a cheap bastard.

#9 9 years ago

I've donated.. Time to do it again

#10 9 years ago

remember when we all bought Robin a new game?

We should do that again! It was fun and let's be honest, with 500 regular users and a couple hunderd guests each day... $10 each adds up REALLY quickly.

I wonder if some distributor can talk to Stern and see if they will toss in some good will to get a game for cost if we can raise the funds.

Better yet, maybe Charlie and Ben would make a deal on an AMH before they are sold out.

#11 9 years ago

Donating for this site is a must in my opinion. And yes if you own a pin you've got the disposable income for a small donation!

#12 9 years ago

I noticed my heart went gray the other day. Set up an auto pay! I'm a poet and didn't know it. Thanks for all you do Robin.
    Keith

#13 9 years ago

Wait not one person has spoken up to say why they have not payed up.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

I don't have a Paypal account.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

That's interesting. Wonder how else to donate??

#16 9 years ago

It may have been a bug that has since been fixed, but at least one time I donated, my heart never turned red, so don't be too quick to judge those with the grey hearts.

#17 9 years ago

Send me a check and I'll donate it using my account once the check clears. I can tell Robin who each user is and how much they donated so he can confirm it with you so that you don't think I ripped you off...and give you the red heart. I'm happy to do that for Pinsiders.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

It may have been a bug that has since been fixed, but at least one time I donated, my heart never turned red, so don't be too quick to judge those with the grey hearts.

Not judging anybody. And a grey heart means you did donate once in the past. How can anyone be judgmental about that?

#19 9 years ago

I have a weekly recurring donation setup. (site bug says monthly when you hover on my heart)
    This site is worth it, I spend way too much time here.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

You don't need one. You can pay through Paypal without logging in.

--Luke

#21 9 years ago

I'm on a fixed income, not much money left over at the end of the month.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from HighNoon:

--Luke

Who knew? Thanks...then I rescind my offer to help!

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

I'm on a fixed income, not much money left over at the end of the month.

That's okay...we still love you!

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Not judging anybody. And a grey heart means you did donate once in the past. How can anyone be judgmental about that?

I thought my comment was relevant to the thread, but it was not directed at you.

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

That's not a great way to look at this, and it's also a personal question that you don't get to ask people.

#26 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

IMO, the contributions you make to this forum are invaluable already.

#27 9 years ago
    Quoted from ek77:

Alright - I have not paid up (yet). I joined Pinside last summer after the PNW Expo and have become more and more active as the months have gone by. I could give you a couple of excuses - all true: money is tight (it always is) and my work has gone through "resource actions" that began in December (Happy Holidays!) that added some additional financial uncertainty.

However, these are excuses so credit to beelzeboob for the reminder and I am remedying the situation now and will look forward to the red heart badge.

A big thanks to Robin and the community here.

EDIT: well that was quick <3

Cheers,

Jay

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

I thought my comment was relevant to the thread, but it was not directed at you.

No worries. I didn't take offense (I very rarely do). This whole thread wasn't meant to be judgmental in any way. Just trying to raise awareness for the donation thing since Robin has too much class to be vocal about it himself!

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That's not a great way to look at this, and it's also a personal question that you don't get to ask people.

He can ask. He just shouldn't expect an answer.

#30 9 years ago

The time when I notice it is when someone has an expensive game (or games) for sale and hasn't donated. If you're gonna sell a NIB game you've been holding for years, the least you can do is chip in a few bucks to the site.

#31 9 years ago

Wow. Just made my first donation. Thanks for the prompt.

#32 9 years ago

The redesign/enhancements reminded me today that I needed to donate again, so I did. I should probably setup a recurring donation so I don't forget in the future!

Thank to robin for all he does for our community!!!

#33 9 years ago

I had been meaning to donate for months, but I kept getting distracted by all the As The Silverball Turns type threads and playing pinball.

Thanks for the reminder.

#34 9 years ago

Donation Made!

Thanks Robin and everyone else who is involved in running Pinside. I appreciate for all you do for the Pinball community!

#35 9 years ago

I've been "monthly" for a while now.

#36 9 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

I've been "monthly" for a while now.

So's my wife.

#37 9 years ago

I'm waiting to turn in my beer bottles.

#38 9 years ago
    Quoted from HighNoon:

--Luke

Paypal "knows" I used to have an account and puts me into an endless loop of trying to get me to update my credit card info.

Paypal = #supercocksuckers

#supercocksuckers = Comcast

#39 9 years ago

Yep, in agreement paypal is one of the worst companies to grace the planet. On the doucher list, in the running for "Douchasaurus Rex", king of the doucheasaurs.
    423872_10150692521524793_1966862729_n.jpg423872_10150692521524793_1966862729_n.jpg

#40 9 years ago

I donated the second I joined Pinside.., I never got a heart. - Could it be due to my email used for Pinside being different then my Ppal email? Regardless, I will be making another donation!

#41 9 years ago

Another thing I would like to add is, if you sell ANYTHING to someone on Pinside, make a donation. If you had it on eBay, you'd be paying fees. All of my contributions were from when I've sold games using Pinside. And if it's a big sale, $50 or $100 is nothing and it helps keep this site running!

#42 9 years ago

Didn't really think of donating until I saw this thread, which prompted me to make a donation!

#43 9 years ago

Name and address we can send a money order to ?

LTG : )™

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Vid1900 you don't need to donate, your thoughtful and informative threads have helped many fellow pinsiders.

#45 9 years ago

My opinion is that vid and LTG donate plenty here already.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

My opinion is that vid and LTG donate plenty here already.

I appreciate that.

I would still like to chip in.

LTG : )™

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I would still like to chip in.

So would I if I could ever figure out how this website works now. I'm lost!

#48 9 years ago

Thanks beelzeboob for the reminder ...
    Going to loose my 50 shades heart

#49 9 years ago

Tell her to get a partial hysterectomy

#50 9 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I was not the one who asked the question

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-havent-donated-to-pinside-why-not and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.