4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 46 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by whitey
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191014_200643 (resized).jpg

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 months ago
    Quoted from MK6PIN:

my days of trying to impress others left a long time ago

Same here.
    I could care less what others think or dont think.

I spend my time impressing myself now. Way more satisfying.

#52 4 months ago

This thread has me considering going to the next pinball expo or event so I can meet some of the people who post on Pinside.

#53 4 months ago
    Quoted from FlippinJimmy:

This thread has me considering going to the next pinball expo or event so I can meet some of the people who post on Pinside.

Been to Expo, WILL be at TPF next go around!!!

#54 4 months ago
    Quoted from markb:

@clellison
    "2.) The world has turned into an angry intolerant pile of dog shit. Your hobby keeps you away from having to deal with the nonsense"
    100% correct... The whole idea of Pinball and/or a games room is that it should be an escape from reality. IMO the more you can shut off the 'real world' the more fun you'll have.... Faraday cage anyone...!
    @pinballinreno
    "I absolutely love my home and games. It's an oasis of calm at the end of each day."
    Spot on... Turn off the TV, ignore the news, ditch the social media. End the cycle of fear and guilt they perpetuate. Play pinball. It's a great antidote to the pitfalls of our (so called) modern/enlightened society.

#55 4 months ago

With all due respect, Fuck them all. People give advice as to what they deem important, and its usually "you need to get out" relationships and blah blah. I remember my brother saying to me once when he found out that one of my pins cost me 10K "you couldn't find something better to spend ur money on" then he proceeded to go on an expensive vacation with a women who was cheating on him.
    we all have different priorities.

#56 4 months ago

Several comments here mention the word "escape". I can relate and that's the reason that we called our basement game room "The Escape Room". Several reasons for the needed distraction/escape. But … we've also taken in as much of the pinball "underground" experience as we could. We go to 4-5 shows a year for the last 4 years, been to the Stern factory tour twice, and a private JJP tour with Jack, 4 "pinventure" trips to fetch some HUO pins, joined a league for the last few years and been in a couple of tournaments and launch parties. However, when we come home, we look at our own collection and "it's home" and our comfort zone. We've had a few parties with friends and relatives, some of which think we are a little crazy, but yet some of them are starting to catch the bug too.

To wrap this up, I think we are going to start to throttle back with some of the shows. We don't regret going and have fun, but our home collection entertains us plenty. I "get" the op's thinking. Been there, done that. Escape room it is.

20191014_200643 (resized).jpg
    #57 4 months ago
    Quoted from KingBW:

Several comments here mention the word "escape". I can relate and that's the reason that we called our basement game room "The Escape Room". Several reasons for the needed distraction/escape. But … we've also taken in as much of the pinball "underground" experience as we could. We go to 4-5 shows a year for the last 4 years, been to the Stern factory tour twice, and a private JJP tour with Jack, 4 "pinventure" trips to fetch some HUO pins, joined a league for the last few years and been in a couple of tournaments and launch parties. However, when we come home, we look at our own collection and "it's home" and our comfort zone. We've had a few parties with friends and relatives, some of which think we are a little crazy, but yet some of them are starting to catch the bug too.
    To wrap this up, I think we are going to start to throttle back with some of the shows. We don't regret going and have fun, but our home collection entertains us plenty. I "get" the op's thinking. Been there, done that. Escape room it is.[quoted image]

I have now officially renamed my room!!! Have received some very cool and thoughtful PM's...really just had a shareable moment to post..... I suspect many have experienced or thought about in one way or another...

#58 4 months ago

Great story. Here is the net from my perspective. You are lucky enough at your age to have something to be passionate about. That’s huge. So the first thing is for your kid to understand that you hope he finds a hobby he’s passionate about as he gets older. The second thing is to recognize the wisdom of your 19 year old upgrade. He probably senses a little bit of imbalance in your life. Respect his wisdom in whatever that means to you.

4 months later
    #59 1 day ago

It’s a really interesting and good question. The reality in my opinion is this. If your kid notices enough to say something it’s more true than not. For me in matters such as this I think about my legacy in the eyes of my children. Are you the guy that never made an effort to branch out and experience new things or are you the guy that was defined by Pinball? For me, the fact that kid perceives you are out of balance makes pinball a negative for him. For that reason alone I would try to venture out and find some new balance. Because the story I want my kids to tell is, “My dad was really cool. He got into working out, eating well and going to (Fill in blank) later in life. And he also had this really amazing Pinball collection that he was passionate about but it didn’t define him. He was a really cool dude.”

To me this is the crux of the thing. For me personally Pinball does not define me. I happen to be a guy that has a couple of pinball machines but I don’t go to leagues I don’t talk about them but I do like to fire them up and play the heck out of them, and I like the way to look at my house. And I like to maintain them.

But I also have a collection of mountain bikes, I play competitive golf, love animals, read, War god on Zelda BOTW (switch) and I love supply chain. I also coach high school golf.

Net is this. Create the perception in your child that there is more to you than pinball. Cause right now, he sees you out of wack.

#60 1 day ago
    Quoted from holminone:

It’s a really interesting and good question. The reality in my opinion is this. If your kid notices enough to say something it’s more true than not. For me in matters such as this I think about my legacy in the eyes of my children. Are you the guy that never made an effort to branch out and experience new things or are you the guy that was defined by Pinball? For me, the fact that kid perceives you are out of balance makes pinball a negative for him. For that reason alone I would try to venture out and find some new balance. Because the story I want my kids to tell is, “My dad was really cool. He got into working out, eating well and going to (Fill in blank) later in life. And he also had this really amazing Pinball collection that he was passionate about but it didn’t define him. He was a really cool dude.”
    To me this is the crux of the thing. For me personally Pinball does not define me. I happen to be a guy that has a couple of pinball machines but I don’t go to leagues I don’t talk about them but I do like to fire them up and play the heck out of them, and I like the way to look at my house. And I like to maintain them.
    But I also have a collection of mountain bikes, I play competitive golf, love animals, read, War god on Zelda BOTW (switch) and I love supply chain. I also coach high school golf.
    Net is this. Create the perception in your child that there is more to you than pinball. Cause right now, he sees you out of wack.

Resurrected thread...when you own a company, run a nfp youth soccer club,raise 4 kids, devote almost a quarter century to a wife who passed early, etc. I'll have plenty of legacy.

I think he's 18, no mother, and will occasionally just say things that can be interpreted as hurtful. He means well, but too young to grasp how I deal w the day to day ( everyone's different). Always listen, then realize the situation.

I'll just be doing me, as that's all any of us really can do. Pinball is my hobby of choice, but doesn't define who I am. No harm I can see. Thanks for your thoughts, but hate golf (lol)

#61 1 day ago

I have 4 teenagers and they know everything! They don’t understand pinball
    Been playing since I was 10 ! Still have the Volley my dad brought home in 1979
    Our first pin !
    If your Happy that’s all that matters !
    Sorry for your loss

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 1,000.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 66.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 11.00
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 159.00
    $ 9.50
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Protection
    The MOD Couple
    $ 1,099.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 17.00
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside