Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by RVH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0707161836a_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I have found out you really have to love this hobby and laugh at yourself when you spend hours chasing down a problem, tools and meters all over the place , looking at the prints time and time again, then you find it a 5 second fix staring you in the face.You still have to have a sense of accomplishment with what you just figured out even though it took half the day. You have to love learning from what you did and learning how it works relay by relay . Putting the machine back together can't wait to play it after you fixed it only to have something else happen. You have to love getting the prints back out opening the machine up and doing it again. Then when you finally play your game with no problems knowing you fixed it you love it and when a problem comes up again and it will you smile get out your tools and prints and enjoy what you are doing

#2 7 years ago

I used to love fixing my games at first. Those days are long gone for me. I prefer to just play them these days.
    But yeah im with you.

#3 7 years ago

If we didn't, we wouldn't be here!

#4 7 years ago

Without it, I'd probably spend my time drinking, dancing, and chasing beautiful women. In the end this is probably more satisfying.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Without it, I'd probably spend my time drinking, dancing, and chasing beautiful women. In the end this is probably more satisfying.

Well said! I enjoy fixing problems and then when there's nothing more to fix...play it for one month and then I'll sell the game. If I had more room, I would keep them all!

#6 7 years ago

I've noticed a new phenomena,I spend hours getting everything right,play the snot out of it,and something small occurs.Then I panic, having no clue whats wrong.Last few times I fixed it by instinct,so I guess I've entered the next level.

#7 7 years ago

You got that right

#8 7 years ago

I'm still learning all the time, but got my 1st games in the late 90s. I literally had a place that used to route games tell me I might as well throw them in the trash. Of course I kept them and slowly learned how to repair some things. There is a satisfaction fixing it yourself. A lesson is always around to be learned. I do enjoy fixing/maintaining my machines. I paid a tech a few years ago to come over from 100 miles away. He was pricey, but I watched and asked lots of questions. I learned not be afraid of it. The internet has helped a lot. This site has been priceless. I do love pinball. If you are going to have them, they will require maintenance. Best learn how or make friends w/somebody that does.

#9 7 years ago

Yes. what got me into owning my first game was wanting a game that was playing the way it should.
    And owning and being able to make them play the way you like them to is Awsome.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And cheaper

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I sometimes drink and fix my games but it doesn't always end well... dancing and chasing beautiful women just sounds exhausting.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Spider3582:

I have found out you really have to love this hobby and laugh at yourself when you spend hours chasing down a problem, tools and meters all over the place , looking at the prints time and time again, then you find it a 5 second fix staring you in the face.You still have to have a sense of accomplishment with what you just figured out even though it took half the day. You have to love learning from what you did and learning how it works relay by relay . Putting the machine back together can't wait to play it after you fixed it only to have something else happen.

Well said Spider. I like your positive attitude.
    If it were all too easy, then we would lose interest and move on to more challenging things.
    There is hundreds of different models, lots of parts, some in pristine condition -- some total wrecks, etc.
    Also fun to hang out with friends and play/talk/fix pinball.

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

There is hundreds of different models, lots of parts, some in pristine condition -- some total wrecks, etc.

Is this the beautiful women, or fixing pinballs?

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

...... I think We can still do Both................

#15 7 years ago

Except my project still isn't working some weeks along...

#16 7 years ago

I actually like fixing games as much as i like playing them, maybe more. Right now, everything is working great.

1 week later
    #17 7 years ago

I chase beautiful pinball machines and try to fix women. Am I doing it wrong?

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from presqueisle:

I chase beautiful pinball machines and try to fix women. Am I doing it wrong?

If you are successful at both, you deserve the Nobel Prize...

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from RVH:

I used to love fixing my games at first. Those days are long gone for me. I prefer to just play them these days.
    But yeah im with you.

how the hell do you fix them then? just sell them when they break?

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

The women or the pins?
    you guys are on the money.
    Fix them, then envite your friends over, and enjoy your hard work!
    and if you can't solve a problem, theres a bunch of wisdom runnin around here!
    I have not seen a problem discussed here go unfixed for very long.
    cept maybe that one that was kicken Force a week or so back. Hope he got that one worked out.
    sometimes a bug can hide real good.
    makes the solve all the more rewarding!
    Beer and Pinball!!!

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

No sir. I fix them or I call my tech when I cannot. A game not working mechanically chaps my hide!
    Only games I've ever sold are because I wanted something else or in one case was offered more than what I thought the game was worth.
    I still help maintain that one, my first game TZ.
    Just seen it last week and she is a sweet bird.
    Just saying I like them working more than working on them when there not these days.
    Please check post #9.
    Basic maintance is no big tho.

#22 7 years ago

Here's a pic of my first TZ that I poured over in the beginning of my pinball addiction sitting next to a safe cracker as of last week.
    Looks like it will be my joy to help this friend I sold it to years back build a nice little collection soon as well as he is thinking of buying more. Great hobby!
    Is that a credit dot on TZ, wait no. Plays so good to.

0707161836a_(resized).jpg0707161836a_(resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-have-to-love-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.