(Topic ID: 226482)

You have a budget of $10,000. What games (or game) do you buy

By Scorch

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

Here’s a game...kinda like fantasy pinball.

Let’s assume that you have no pins, and $10,000 to spend to start a new collection (not adding to pins you already have).

Pick what pins you would buy. To make it interesting... pins need to be currently on the market (pinside, eBay, craigslist, etc). What it’s listed for is what you pay.

Do you buy 1 new pin, or maybe 10 EMs or a combo of new and old?

Here’s my stab at it....

Time machine - $1550
    Wpt - $3000
    T2 -$2200
    Road show - $3000

Total $9750

#2 5 years ago

My first question is how comfortable/competent are you fixing machines? Going from that I can give you my opinion.

#3 5 years ago

Pirates LE and a case of Captain Morgans Private Stock, lol.

#4 5 years ago

Every late 70's Bally I could get my hands on till it was gone.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I concur !

#6 5 years ago

3-6 top notch games on the container buy with the PNW group! And parts to fix them, $9999

#7 5 years ago

I would go back in time and buy all those games I passed on because I thought the prices were crazy. Then sell them here, and buy what I really want

#8 5 years ago

In my eyes - if you have the space - 5 or 6 cheaper machines make more sense than one or two higher priced machines. I always say I can have move fun with five $2000 machines then I ever could have with one expensive new machine.

#9 5 years ago

I'm with PanzerFreak , Pirates and rum

#10 5 years ago

Munsters LE and POTC LE and pray for financial salvation.

And then beg forgiveness for buying Oktoberfest Pinball On Tap too!

#11 5 years ago

STLE and DESW.

I am weirdo but they are two of my favs.

#12 5 years ago

2/3 of a BM66 SuperLE

#13 5 years ago

Iron Maiden Pro (used), Stern Stars, Swords of Fury, and Fish Tales (or World Cup Soccer).

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from jorge5240:

STLE and DESW.
    I am weirdo but they are two of my favs.

I have a soft spot for DESW. I'm not even a big SW fan, but the game is just fun.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

In my eyes - if you have the space - 5 or 6 cheaper machines make more sense than one or two higher priced machines. I always say I can have move fun with five $2000 machines then I ever could have with one expensive new machine.

I don't know...where are you getting $2000 machines? Unless you live in very specific locations, most everything that isn't EM is going for at least that even nonworking and trashed out (okay trashed is an exaggeration). It's crazy.

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I don't know...where are you getting $2000 machines? Unless you live in very specific locations, most everything that isn't EM is going for at least that even nonworking and trashed out (okay trashed is an exaggeration). It's crazy.

There are still lots of $2000 games out there.

I just bought my sst for $2000. T2 and time machine on my list are 2200 and 1550 respectively. I think you could make a decent collection of 2k machines

#17 5 years ago

Mustang (Pro), Metallica (Pro), Stars, Team One.

Now I know what you’re thinking... how could Tron not be on my list? Well that comes down to cost. It has become too expensive to be on a limited budget list. And I’d rather have the fun of two very enjoyable Stern games than the magic of one of the best. But if the budget was higher, Tron would be on the list.

#18 5 years ago

I'd buy a lot of EM's if I had 10k to spend. Some drop target games, some spinner games, some from the 60's, some from the 70's. I have as much fun playing the 200 dollar EM's than I do the newer games, truth be told.

#19 5 years ago

Fathom, Quicksilver, Surf Champ, Jungle Queen....if anything left over, Volley or Grand Prix

#20 5 years ago

In my local market 10k wouldn’t get you much. One new Stern Premium. Maybe 3 dmd games if your lucky.

Local to me I found.
    AFM original for 11k

TOM for 9.5k

Or

911 for. 2.5k
    JD for. 4.7k
    Totem 1.5k
    Mata Hari 1.4k

Or

NGG for 6k
    R&B for. 3.5k

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

Here’s my stab at it....
    Time machine - $1550
    Wpt - $3000
    T2 -$2200
    Road show - $3000

Then how come you dont own any of these?

#22 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

Then how come you dont own any of these?

Because I'm not in the market right now.

But I know my current collection could be purchased for around 10k.

SST, T3, LAH, Roy Clark.

I think that as I change over games, I probably won't be throwing new money at them.... so question I'm asking is; do I sell all 4 and get a newer machine.... or maybe get a smaller collection of better games. Maybe I'll sell 2 to get 3 cheaper games.

And I'm not afraid to work on them, but I don't have a ton of time to fully re-build a game. Replace coils, plastics, rubbers, led's - no problem.... a non-working project - hell no.

#23 5 years ago

For me;
    1 TAF, and then a couple projects, Bally, early to mid 80s.

#24 5 years ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

I think that as I change over games, I probably won't be throwing new money at them.... so question I'm asking is; do I sell all 4 and get a newer machine.... or maybe get a smaller collection of better games. Maybe I'll sell 2 to get 3 cheaper games.

I sold 4 games and bought GOT Pre. Don’t regret it one bit. I made a checklist of things that I like in games, ramps, VUK, upper playfield, ect. GOT checked all the boxes, so I bought NIB.

#25 5 years ago

MMR and NBA Fastbreak is what I did.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I'd buy a lot of EM's if I had 10k to spend. Some drop target games, some spinner games, some from the 60's, some from the 70's. I have as much fun playing the 200 dollar EM's than I do the newer games, truth be told.

I need to find some fun EM's,because that's the only type machine, that I can get up to my second floor.I'd be afraid to take the head off of a modern game,since I'm new to the hobby. I have one pinball machine in my dining room,and I really can't have anymore on my first floor.

1 year later
    #27 3 years ago

Sttng and Dialed In.

#28 3 years ago

Original MM! Buy colordmd for my pins if there were any $$ left.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Good choice, but you'd have to add several thousand to the pot

#30 3 years ago

I would get a JP Pro (or TWD Pro), The Shadow and Stars. Good diversity among multiple eras of pins.

#31 3 years ago

I would get a MMR or AFMR + whatever u like with the cash left over

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Scorch:

There are still lots of $2000 games out there.
    I just bought my sst for $2000. T2 and time machine on my list are 2200 and 1550 respectively. I think you could make a decent collection of 2k machines

Out here you can't find a Time Machine for that number, I sold one that was gone through and had a new display for $1500 but it needed a full cabinet repaint and decal over a year ago. Since then they have just skyrocketed in price.

$2000-$2400 with nice ones over $2500.

#33 3 years ago

If you can fix & restore games 10K goes a long way. In the last 18 months I bought the following:

Centaur- working with a CPR PF, needed TLC
    Bally Strikes & Spares project- installed NOS PF and got game 100%-traded it for a Fireball II with really nice cosmetics.
    Bally Playboy project, got working and sold it.
    Flash Gordon, 100% working, restoring cabinet now with new PF and mint BG
    Gottlieb Buccaneer- near mint, needed adjustments-Sold
    2 Stern Stars projects- let my local buddies have them at cost
    Paragon- mint PF and BG- sold it
    Xenon-fully working, beat PF but mint BG-sold

All of them combined were well less than then the 10K target even with all the parts I installed.

#34 3 years ago

10k will buy a nice machine.

#35 3 years ago

If I had to start over from scratch with $10k:

All 3 sys 9 pins
    Pinbot
    EATPM

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-have-a-budget-of-10000-what-games-or-game-do-you-buy?hl=holminone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.