pin-mud.jpeg
DATA_EAST_TEENAGE_MUTANT_NINJA_TURTLE.jpeg
DSC_9073_(Custom).JPG
image.jpg
FT4.jpg
FT3.jpg
FT2.jpg
FT1.jpg
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

This guy is selling flood games and just passing them off as being dirty. Flood games bring a new problem in restoring, a lot of nasty stuff gets in the flood water and then into these games. You can get sick from them if you are not careful. The reason I know is I was in the restoration business for 23 years before catching the pinball fever

ebay.com link: WILLIAMS BIG GUNS PINBALL MACHINE PROJECT MEDIEVAL THEME GAME

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from rlevin:

This guy is selling flood games and just passing them off as being dirty. Flood games bring a new problem in restoring, a lot of nasty stuff gets in the flood water and then into these games. You can get sick from them if you are not careful. The reason I know is I was in the restoration business for 23 years before catching the pinball fever
Ebay link

I hope most people on here already know to be very cautious before ever even thinking of dealing with barrywnj. There is a ton of history on here and RGP if you are bored. There is a reason his auctions are private. I do love the floating pin pics with the black background and no legs though.

#3 10 years ago

I was tempted on his $500 STTNG but it was a disaster.I like projects but these just need a wrecking ball.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. Most Pinsiders are familiar with Barrywnj and know to run the other way.

I bought my 1st pin from him, a JD, and was very disappointed.

Water damage, board hacks, 1/4" plate glass that broke during delivery. Described as very good condition and I would not be disappointed. I was.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from rlevin:

This guy is selling flood games and just passing them off as being dirty.

To play Devil's Advocate for a moment - how can you tell this game (or any) was in a flood? Is there something you can see in the pics? I am certainly aware of this Seller's reputation - but how can you tell?

Clearly, in NJ (and elsewhere, if exported) we certainly have a potential to see "Superstorm Sandy" games - not to mention a number of other flooding storms in recent years.

This is similar to what goes on with Flood-damaged (totalled) cars that are cleaned up and re-sold.

#6 10 years ago

I can see the water line in the back box on the Big Guns and on the STNG there is mud on the ships

#7 10 years ago

You can get really sick from these. Most all flood water from storms is consider black water meaning sewer in it. Plus a lot of molds and bateria grow in it and if you cut your self while working on them or have a cut you could loose a limb from infection.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from rlevin:

have a cut you could loose a limb from infection.

LOL that STTNG cost and arm and a leg!

#9 10 years ago

I think since its Barry you can assume they were in a flood, I live at the beach in NJ and I can tell you almost every storefront in downtown Ocean city Flooded - same type of thing that happened in Allenhurst. Flood water is one thing - Flood water that comes from the ocean and back bays is another story. Whether they were in a flood or not - stay away, SALTWATER is not your friend

#10 10 years ago

I get douche chills every time that bastards name is mentioned!

#11 10 years ago

Buy a game from him and post your Barry Whinge here.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from rlevin:

I can see the water line in the back box on the Big Guns and on the STNG there is mud on the ships

Thanks rlevin.

#13 10 years ago

Almost makes you want to ask Barry if he knows whether the machines were sinkers or floaters

#14 10 years ago

Id want to personally inspect any game that came from Sandy shore points. Some folks can be unscrupulous.

#15 10 years ago

Why is that? Anything above the waterline on the game should be safe

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from rlevin:

I can see the water line in the back box on the Big Guns and on the STNG there is mud on the ships.

Yup, I see the water line too. Check out the pile of crap Ninja Turtles he's selling too. It's real bad.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Yup, I see the water line too. Check out the pile of crap Ninja Turtles he's selling too. It's real bad.

He does say, "BACK OF MACHINE THAT WOULD BE AGAINST THE WALL DID GET WET AT ONE POINT."

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Why is that? Anything above the waterline on the game should be safe.

Yeh, but everything below the water line is gonna be a problem. Cabinet will be coming apart requiring gluing/clamping. Mud in the bottom panel will need cleaning out. Coin door will be all corroded/rusted. Connectors will be corroded requiring replace of both the male and female halves. Lamp sockets will be all rusted requiring replacement. Playfield microswitches will get mud/contamination inside them causing either erratic operation or no operation (dead). All the screws on the playfield will be rusted. The sheet metal screws that attach assemblies to the playfield will have to be replaced with the next size larger because the screw holes in the wood have expanded from the water. The original screws won't tighten.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

He does say, "BACK OF MACHINE THAT WOULD BE AGAINST THE WALL DID GET WET AT ONE POINT."

I'm surprised he didn't throw in the common video arcade description with it:

"It's just a fuse".

#20 10 years ago

How is it that Barrywnj has a 100% positive feedback rating? I'm baffled.

#21 10 years ago

I was thinking the same thing???

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Yeh, but everything below the water line is gonna be a problem. Cabinet will be coming apart requiring gluing/clamping. Mud in the bottom panel will need cleaning out. Coin door will be all corroded/rusted. Connectors will be corroded requiring replace of both the male and female halves. Lamp sockets will be all rusted requiring replacement. All the screws on the playfield will be rusted. The sheet metal screws that attach assemblies to the playfield will have to be replaced with the next size larger because the screw holes in the wood have expanded from the water. The original screws won't tighten.

Just to be clear, I was kidding...I wouldn't touch those games with a ten foot pole!

#23 10 years ago

what is this clowns pinside handle?

#24 10 years ago

Ha,

He picked them up from the dumpster after Sandy and now is selling them. I really hope this bites him in the ass as there may be sewage and other contaminants on these that should not be handled by anyone except those using the proper chemicals.

there is a definite potential health issue here.

#25 10 years ago

Looks like that Big Guns' translite floated away...

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from NJGecko:

Just to be clear, I was kidding...I wouldn't touch those games with a ten foot pole!

I understand. I would not touch those games either.

However, over the years I have salvaged several flood damaged pinball machines and video games. It all depends on how quickly you get the machines out of the flood waters and start cleaning them up.

#27 10 years ago

he does give 7-10% off....

and i think he will pay 35% of your medical bills if you get the bubonic plague..that's the rumor

#28 10 years ago

side note: anyone who is working on old pinball machines, regardless of provenance, should have had a tetanus shot in their recent past... better to be safe than sorry...

on topic: but someone in another thread was singing barry's praises...

wonder what ever happened to the guy who posted right after sandy that he would buy everyne's damaged machines? vulture...

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

How is it that Barrywnj has a 100% positive feedback rating? I'm baffled.

From what has been written in the past, once he has your money and sends you a crappy game, he will basically blackmail the buyer. He will tell the buyer he will give them a little money off for all the issues, but only after they leave him positive feedback. He and the buyers know that the buyer has little recourse. The buyer could ship it back, but that would cost big bucks, so people bend over and take it and try not to make the same mistake in the future. Also, he sells smaller things like manuals and coin mechs too, that is how he boosts his eBay rating. A small number of his positive ratings on eBay are from actual pinball machine sales, most are from the smaller items.

#30 10 years ago

You price/flood police are the worst. Let the market decide what a game is worth!

#31 10 years ago

Then why does he have 100% positive feedback?

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Good point. All his completed auctions are private though.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

"From what has been written in the past, once he has your money and sends you a crappy game, he will basically blackmail the buyer. He will tell the buyer he will give them a little money off for all the issues, but only after they leave him positive feedback. He and the buyers know that the buyer has little recourse. The buyer could ship it back, but that would cost big bucks, so people bend over and take it and try not to make the same mistake in the future."

^^^^This...plus it is not that hard to get negative feedback removed. There are several minor things that buyers can screw up to make feedback ineligible and therefor removable.

#34 10 years ago

I've worked on a couple of games from Barry. They were bad enough. I hope I never see one of these. Most people know to avoid his games, but thanks for bringing this to our attention.

#35 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

From what has been written in the past, once he has your money and sends you a crappy game, he will basically blackmail the buyer. He will tell the buyer he will give them a little money off for all the issues, but only after they leave him positive feedback. He and the buyers know that the buyer has little recourse. The buyer could ship it back, but that would cost big bucks, so people bend over and take it and try not to make the same mistake in the future. Also, he sells smaller things like manuals and coin mechs too, that is how he boosts his eBay rating. A small number of his positive ratings on eBay are from actual pinball machine sales, most are from the smaller items.

Thanks for the insight.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

You price/flood police are the worst. Let the market decide what a game is worth!

/tongue in cheek

You forgot to add the "tongue planted firmly in cheek" comment at the end. Fixed it for you.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from statsdoc:

I forgot to add my "tongue planted firmly on your johnson" sorry

No problem.
Actually there's an "Just Kidding" emoticon at the end of my post. But you guys are smart enough to figure that out right?

#38 10 years ago

I also had a negative buying experience from that aforementioned seller.Buyer Beware !

#39 10 years ago

Yeah, these have cholera written all over them.

#40 10 years ago

I have had numerous good dealings with Barry. I would never have a game shipped to me i havent seen in person. Buyer beware, know what you are buying and inspect it.

#41 10 years ago

this barry sounds like a top notch guy!

#42 10 years ago

If he pulled them out of a dumpster after the flood, why didn't the person who put them in the dumpster remove all of the salvageable parts first? plastics and ramps are easy enough to clean, and it sounds like a lot of the boards were above water lines... There was a lot of salvaging after the PAPA flood.
Just curious.

#43 10 years ago

Probably because they weren't from a collector. We know enough not to salvage. An average owner will get the insurance check and out it goes, or the contractor they pay to do the flood repairs will do it. That, and you get this guy who buys the crap and sells it dishonestly.

#44 10 years ago

That price is funny. Over $600 LOL

No thanks

#45 10 years ago

First and Foremost,

Barry is not a bad guy. I actually just bought a project Fish Tales from him 3 days ago and I couldn't be happier and alive. He gave me a free translite to it as well. The game was missing an MPU board and ribbon cables along with a DMD. I brought all of these items with me and had him test out the game and make sure everything had power and that it booted up correctly. He then let me pick out 4 legs of my choice, a lockbar of my choice, as well as a playfield glass.The playfield was complete. I got the project for $500. This also was the second time dealing with Barry as the first was purchasing a World Poker Tour from him.

Attached are some photos after 3 days, playfield taken apart, it's actually cleaning up quite nice. I managed to pick up all brand new insert decals, ribbon cable set, and an MPU board all for less than $100.

I'm estimating after it's all said and done that I'll spend a little less than $1,000 to have a Fish Tales to my liking.

Here's my two cents. If you're going to buy from Barry, go and inspect the game you are interested in prior to purchasing and pick it up yourself. He does also sell very nice restored games at fairly decent prices. If you notice in his auctions for the project games, he also lists them for parts as well. If you have the notion that all of those project games are working then you are sorely mistaken. Many of the games are meant to be parted out and sold.

These project games are mostly meant to either be parted out and sold or refurbished for the owner's liking.

My suggestion to those that are considering buying from Barry: "Courtesy breeds courtesy"
If you are nice to the guy and don't come off as a swindler he will work with you.

Anyways, best of luck all. I'll turn the conversation back over to the zealots. Cheers!

FT1.jpgFT1.jpg FT2.jpgFT2.jpg FT3.jpgFT3.jpg FT4.jpgFT4.jpg

#46 10 years ago

^^^

as expected, it didn't take long to happen in this thread either... satan himself could post a for sale ad, and at least one person would jump in and say "great guy! great seller!"...

Quoted from ccotenj:

on topic: but someone in another thread was singing barry's praises...

#47 10 years ago

Barry has had a bad wrap for as long as I been collecting. 9 years and nothing has changed. $500 for a flooded FT is to much. Fluffy cabinet alone, means your going to have more parts than just buying a nicer one for $1400. Usually the only things useable in a flood game is the boards, plastics and metal hardware. All the wood, coils and switches are usually ruined. Mud gets in all those and turns it to a piece of crap. Mostly parts machines. Which I would barely pay $300 for.

#48 10 years ago

Where can I find a 1400$ ft

#49 10 years ago

I do not know the guy from Adam but what I do know is he is selling a BIO HAZARD and if some one gets sick it can and will come back and get him.

#50 10 years ago

Those are some oversized paperweights.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Davenport, FL
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
1,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Newburgh, NY
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

2,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eagan, MN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-guys-be-careful-of-this and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.