(Topic ID: 273698)

You drop dead tomorrow, what happens to your pins?

By tomdrum

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ImNotNorm
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

maxresdefault (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Strange post I know. I had discussions with a local pin friend on this subject awhile back. My life partner hasn't a clue on what my games are worth. She'd sell them when I'm gone for cheap. (Don't get any ideas people) I've actually been documenting the restorations cost wise and what they are worth today. I just hit 60 years old and realize that shit happens at my age.

I discussed this with her once and she figured they were worth $300 each. Ouch. My 7 game collection and my parts inventory is worth over $17K easy. Way less than many here obviously. But I rather have a friend be the "executor" of my pins then have get dumped cheap. Plus I have some expensive "toys" as well that are valuable.

Getting old sucks.

#2 3 years ago

They go with me to the afterlife.

#3 3 years ago

Maybe do something like put an estimated price sheet inside each game and box of parts? Show your partner your system so she knows.

#4 3 years ago

Likely the dumpster

#5 3 years ago

I'm dead.Don't care

#6 3 years ago

Maybe i need to start telling my wife what i REALLY spend on these things.

#7 3 years ago

Funny we were just talking about this because we are setting up some trusts and talking about estate planning and I think I’m going to leave one to people I love, son picks first. Then I will gift the other four to people who are awesome and bring me happiness.

#8 3 years ago

Your post hits a bit home. I'm 53 and my neighbor 51. He just died last night out of the blue. He was not a pinhead, but owned a glass shop, where I would by "normal " glass. Great guy, it sucks. Makes me think of your point. I would hope my local pin buds would assist my widow to have a fair market.

#9 3 years ago

Due to COVID, I’ve had a lot of time on my hands so I contacted my attorney to revise my will.

Almost all of my pins and arcade games will go to the local youth center and children’s hospitals in the area. My kids don’t really love the games and I’m happy in knowing that they will be enjoyed for many years to come.

#10 3 years ago

If anyone wants to add me to their will...please pm me..I will take good care of your pins

#11 3 years ago

Auction.
    Told my wife if something happens to me to send everything to auction.
    Don’t want here dealing with all the low ballers and weirdos (some of which are sure to be friends of ours).

#12 3 years ago

Don't care. My wife and kids are also not a fool.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from PappaDubz:

If anyone wants to add me to their will.

That's funny. Over the years on RGP and here on Pinside, I've had people asking me about leaving me a game or two to use at my events.

Nice gesture. But I'd rather they stay healthy and can enjoy the games themselves.

LTG : )

#14 3 years ago

Sell them all, make a better investment.

As for me? Cremation, flush the ashes down the toilet.

#15 3 years ago

My wife will have a truck load sale. Cram as many pins as you can on your truck or trailer for one low price! Then she would go shopping with the $100 she got for them!

#16 3 years ago

My kids set them to 10 ball with max extra balls and are happy.

#17 3 years ago

I will be a ghost in the machine....inspired by
    "Moffett's Ghost" in Airwolf.

Queue the Airwolf theme song

maxresdefault (resized).jpgmaxresdefault (resized).jpg
    #18 3 years ago

Wife would sell my machines cheap... maybe even free to get them out of the "game room" to turn back into a room for the kids...

#19 3 years ago

My boss at work is a fellow pinhead whom I trust. I've told my wife if I dropped dead to wait a few months and then contact him for help selling them.

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Completist:

Maybe i need to start telling my wife what i REALLY spend on these things.

You'll be dead for sure!
    I know I would if the truth came out!

#21 3 years ago

Someone will get a lot of good deals going through my basement. Or they will just throw it all in a dumpster.

I have more parts than machibes down there. And only a pinhead would know what most of the stuff is worth.

#23 3 years ago

Stays with the family.

#24 3 years ago

I've a deal with my best friend... if he croaks first I need to sell his woodworking shop for his wife, if I croak first he sells my pins for my wife.

#25 3 years ago

I told my wife to auction them off

#26 3 years ago

My partner knows my best friend, and she has his contact information. He would gather some other friends, and they would take them away. Those other friends would take the games they wanted at reasonable prices, and the rest would just be sold. Finally my best friend would hand my partner a big wad of cash. Everyone involved is completely trustworthy, so I'd have no fears of anyone ripping someone off. I assume they would all sell at the "don't bug me" price, which is slightly under market, but not giving them away just to make it easy to sell them.

As for me, cremation and done. Have a small gathering of close friends. Order pizza, and have plenty of beer in the fridge. Raise a glass, and then get on living your lives. Bury my ashes next to my cats in the back yard with a knife and draw a pentagram, a crucifix, and a watch with the time reading 6:17 PM on the box, and a note that says "A curse be on the..." and burn the rest of the note so nothing else can be read. Because in 100 years, I want to be an episode of "Unsolved Mysteries 2132".

#27 3 years ago

I have a single page Personal Property Memorandum (PPM) Addendum to my Will that I update from time to time which deals specifically with this question. It lists my pinball machines and who gets each one. I've asked that they be distributed to my best friends and neighbors to keep the games in that inner circle after I'm gone. It's the best of both worlds. My friends each get a parting gift and my estate doesn't have to worry about dealing with them.

#28 3 years ago

Wife posts pinside price check!
    Then goes on spending spree with new Bo!

#29 3 years ago

With my bad luck (tragically passing away before reaching 100 years of age), my wife would suddenly fall head-over-heels in love with pinball and obsess over her new found riches. She’s soon find herself reading Pinside daily and ordering from the modding community often. Surrounding herself with these trophies, she’d probably start talking smack while she learned new trivia and her confidence grew. She’d discover how much fun pinball could be and that all pins were not the same.

No longer would she complain when a NAVL truck randomly showed up while I was at work,, nor would she feel the need to badger the driver, as I raced home to handle the situation. I’ll be looking down from heaven and laughing my ass off over how things “turned out”.

#30 3 years ago

My Grandson is showing a lot of interest in maintaining pins. He helps me rebuild and clean as needed. Last month Buddy helped recap the monitor for Golden Tee. My Dad taught me, I'm passing it on.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from dmacy:

Likely the dumpster

Yup! This is often the truth and a very sad reality of life when one passes.
    I find it disturbing that some object which you cherish, safeguard, protect, maintain, etc. for years is suddenly considered junk or worthless by others, especially heirs.
    Living in retirement USA (N. Central Florida), I witness this each time I visit the many consignment/thrift/donation stores. Sometimes I come across that private estate sale where items that cost thousand's, now sell for a few dollars.
    Example: A few year's back, my work colleague received a phone call from an out-of-state stranger who recently lost his Dad. The Father was into homebuilt, kit airplanes (experimental class), had purchased a Kitfox, but never initiated construction. The Son got contact information of my Buddy through a website reply, called him, and completed the transaction. The Seller was giddy over being able to sell this airplane kit - a $30K+ kit, selling for $6K! Of course, my Buddy pee'd himself upon taking possession.
    Anyway's - a proper plan/descriptive will, appraisals, and local friends/references help to ensure the estate recipient receives fair or market pricing on such items.

#32 3 years ago

So much of this Rings true. My big fear is that my wife will sell my machines for what I've told her I've got into them. Or worse, my son inherits them, sells them for a pretty penny and buys thousand dollar Plus sneakers that he'll never wear with the proceeds. Crazy world!

#33 3 years ago

My kids will be fighting over them, as both of them want to put there names on the ones they want already.
    I have told my wife who to call if something was to happen to me. Two local people that I have delt with in the past, and can be trusted. The funny thing is they don't know it.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

With my bad luck (tragically passing away before reaching 100 years of age), my wife would suddenly fall head-over-heels in love with pinball and obsess over her new found riches. She’s soon find herself reading Pinside daily and ordering from the modding community often. Surrounding herself with these trophies, she’d probably start talking smack while she learned new trivia and her confidence grew. She’d discover how much fun pinball could be and that all pins were not the same.

No longer would she complain when a NAVL truck randomly showed up while I was at work,, nor would she feel the need to badger the driver, as I raced home to handle the situation. I’ll be looking down from heaven and laughing my ass off over how things “turned out”.

Sounds like beelzeboob 's wife. Except she may help speed up the passing away.

#35 3 years ago

Someone will tear them up getting them out of a tight room.
    Or they will be sold to someone who knows how to break them down

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from Coindork:

Auction.
    Told my wife if something happens to me to send everything to auction.
    Don’t want here dealing with all the low ballers and weirdos (some of which are sure to be friends of ours).

Captain’s Auctions appreciates your support . I’d probably do the same, but give first pick for one to my pinball bro first. Gf couldn’t care less about playing them.

#37 3 years ago

I'm dead and won't care what happens to them.
    Be smart. Make a price list of each item and store in the coin box. Tell your family so they know where to at least start if they sell.

#38 3 years ago

I have a trust set up for them until they turn 18, then they get the balance of my estate and can head out into the world.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Karl_Hungus:

...and can head out into the world.

So, they're going on route?

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from thepinballworks:

My kids will be fighting over them,

Just wait. Soon your food will start tasting like almonds. Takes time.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from GTO:

So, they're going on route?

Never! I don't want strange hands fondling them.

#42 3 years ago

Funeral pyre.....Viking style!

Just kidding....SO knows what they’re worth. Hell, she’s even picked out a few of them, plus gone to the bank to get the cash out when I didn’t have time, helped carry them in and even recently proposed going on a road trip with just her and a girlfriend to pick one up.....so sold to pinhead friends most likely and auction the rest.

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from ronlisa:

My wife will have a truck load sale. Cram as many pins as you can on your truck or trailer for one low price! Then she would go shopping with the $100 she got for them!

PM me for my cell # to give to the wife. I'll make that drive.

#44 3 years ago

Wife sells what she wants, keeps what she wants, buries me in Big Game.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Wife sells what she wants, keeps what she wants, buries me in Big Game.

Ha ha. I want to be buried in TWDLE. I then went hang on a minute. Game is worth too much money, I want the money to go to my family. Just make up stickers like the TWDLE cabinet and put them on the cheapest coffin you can buy.

#46 3 years ago

My wife most likely keeps my pin and then buys a few others with my life insurance payout.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-drop-dead-tomorrow-what-happens-to-your-pins-?hl=murphdom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.