(Topic ID: 26126)

You don't know Jack!! (What would you like to know about JJP/WOZ?)

By Whysnow

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Richthofen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

lots of great questions.

anyone else want to play?

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

It was obvious that Williams went to painted steel on RFM/SWEII to cut costs with the new size trim pieces being lower quantity with that different cabinet. Stern (Sega?) did it to cut probably$20-30 per machine. And the beat goes on...

My favorite of all the trims is the textured black powder coat Stern uses. Not only does the black look much better than stainless and chrome, it feels better and is less slippery. In my mind it is the most comfortable to play with just because of the feel.

#53 7 years ago

I'd like to know if future JJP games will be pay up front like WoZ? Or will it be more of a standard business model after this first game?

#54 7 years ago

I would be interested in how much capital was necessary to start a pinball production line. In addition, I am interested to what their operational break even point and the distribution infrastructure that they have built to date. What type of market penetration do they need to continue operations?

#55 7 years ago

I would ask, "Would you consider a tie-in with Jersey Mike's Subs." That's because I REALLY like those sandwiches.

#56 7 years ago

Thanks TG I was going to ask if it was an african swallow then saw your grail clip

I like the coding question but with the LCD in one and not in the other I do not think this number will give us a very good idea of the size or depth of the game. It might give us an idea of how long it might take someone of his caliber.

My only real question cannot be answered at this time. Release date?

I am also curious about the details of being a route operator for them vs buying your own machine and routing it?

#57 7 years ago

After finally watching the PPE seminar video I am curious if Keith is staying on for the long haul? It sounds like he is building the entire framework for the software. My guess is that he will be a very important guy in the long term of JJP just because you would always want to have your main software guy around in order to assist and troubleshoot this and all future games?

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

Been there, done that .
Jim

Fascinating. Did you ask them about the weather?

Other pertinent questions have already been posted... Might be a little early for this question, but one thing I'd be curious about is how much faster their second title could be developed. The first title seems like a huge hurdle, but now they have a software engine and relationships with parts manufacturers.

The second part of this is if the development team will stay in-house. I know the artist has already done his work and left, are the rest of the guys also in a "contractor" scenario or will they all work on the next game?

#59 7 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I think Jack has answered that and said basically not likely. So much recognition with a license to take advantage of.
Pappy

I'm not sure where you got that. An unlicensed theme is planned for game #3.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
314-766-4587

#60 7 years ago

There's actually a thread in the private WOZ owners forum on this same topic, that has gone unanswered for weeks. I have to assume things are pretty busy for them.

#61 7 years ago
Quoted from mechslave:

I've had this thought also, not just about WOZ but in game development of the past. Knowing very little about software, I always imagine there's a lot of grunt work involved to writing code(copying/pasting, rearranging, debugging etc) which could be delegated and overseen, while the lead software guy continues with the writing and creating, speeding up the process.

There's actually two parts to this process. JJP needs to develop a 'system', or custom architecture, which is the job of a hardware engineer and systems software engineer. Then, on top of that, you have rules programming, which is higher level and probably the more 'fun' job.

Software is a tricky animal. If you have 200 man hours to complete a project, adding two developers does not shorten the time it takes by 50% as you'd imagine. Software is very much an individual craft and putting multiple developers on the same project is sometimes harder than just having one person.

Most code isn't copy/paste, and isn't gruntwork. It's actually very close to a creative effort like illustration.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 156.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11,500.00
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
$ 265.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, TN
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside