(Topic ID: 26126)

You don't know Jack!! (What would you like to know about JJP/WOZ?)

By Whysnow

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Richthofen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Someone else posted a great idea in the other current WOZ thread and I think it deserves a new thread. IMHO it is really nice when pinball experts come on pinside to share. I usually learn something everytime one of these experts chooses to drop some knowledge. In this particular case I am interested in what good questions pinsiders can come up with...

If you had the opportunity to sit down with Keith and Jack and ask a few questions, what would they be?

PLEASE lets keep this thread civil and non-trolling. Leave your personal agendas and biases to the side. Lets just be happy that team members from a current pinball manufacture are sometimes willing to come on pinside and share with us. Hopefully we will get some good questions and someone will point the JJPers to this thread. At minimum maybe this thread will provide some good questions for people to ask when at expo next month.

#2 11 years ago

I personally would like to know more about the diagnostics interface planned for WOZ and future JJP machines. We saw a snipit from PPE but I would love to know more.

#3 11 years ago

I would like to know the production numbers of all Stern pins.

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I would like to know the production numbers of all Stern pins.

not a good start to keeping this thread on topic...

Anything you want to know specific to JJP/Jack/Keith/WOZ ?

#5 11 years ago

I would ask..."How sucsessful do you think WOZ is?"

#6 11 years ago

My question for Keith: For a game like WOZ, how many lines of code are involved? How does that compare to TSPP's code?

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If you had the opportunity to sit down with Keith and Jack and ask a few questions

Been there, done that .

Jim

#8 11 years ago

don't have a horse in the race, didn't really have anything to ask him

#9 11 years ago

What and when is the second game?

#10 11 years ago

How many new themes do they plan on making a year once they get settled in with the routine of making machines.

#11 11 years ago

Jack/Keith

What is the airspeed velocity of a Swallow while gripping a coconut husk?

Kim

#12 11 years ago

European or African?

#13 11 years ago

And I would like to know when Jack, Keith and the gang want to sit down and design my Air Traffic pin? It will make Airborne and F14 seem like a day flying Cessnas and ultralights.

#14 11 years ago

Kim

That was funny!

JACK

WOZ needs black siderails, legs, lock bar and hinges. Any chance you will offer the regular version like that some day?

#15 11 years ago

Would they ever consider an unlicensed theme?

#16 11 years ago

What (if any) theme ideas were originally considered before WOZ was chosen, and then why was WOZ selected over the other themes? If there were other theme ideas that got scrapped, are there any conceptual mockups that can be displayed on Pinside?

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from MWC:

What (if any) theme ideas were originally considered before WOZ was chosen, and then why was WOZ selected over the other themes? If there were other theme ideas that got scrapped, are there any conceptual mockups that can be displayed on Pinside?

I like this question also.

#18 11 years ago

^ At his talk at the MI Expo in April, Jack stated that the machine that he originally wanted to make was the Three Stooges. After inquiring about the rights and being told "no", he asked his lawyer to obtain a list of all of the properties he could get rights to. Upon perusing the list, Jack said that he instantly saw and knew that it was WOZ that he wanted to make.

At least that's how I remember his story....

Later,
EV

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I think Jack has answered that and said basically not likely. So much recognition with a license to take advantage of.

Pappy

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from scottc:

Kim
That was funny!
JACK
WOZ needs black siderails, legs, lock bar and hinges. Any chance you will offer the regular version like that some day?

Send them to me, I'll take care of that for you.

#21 11 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

I think Jack has answered that and said basically not likely. So much recognition with a license to take advantage of.
Pappy

I thought that was Gary Stern that said that. JJP is rumored to be developing a Haunted House or some other unlicensed theme as #3 or #2.

#22 11 years ago

Great thread!! Love it!

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I thought that was Gary Stern that said that. JJP is rumored to be developing a Haunted House or some other unlicensed theme as #3 or #2.

I can't find the actual quote from Jack but from my memory, Jack and Gary actually agree on this subject. Go figure.

Pappy

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Jack has told me they are very much so looking into this.

#25 11 years ago
Quoted from scottc:

Kim

JACK

I could be wrong...but I think the non LE version is going to have black trim. I thought the trim color, topper, invisiglass, removeable signed wood cover over the apron and numbered plaque (maybe shaker too) were the only difference between the LE and standard.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

What and when is the second game?

Jack already said nothing will be announced until early 2013 at best. He may jump in and change that.

#27 11 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

I could be wrong...but I think the non LE version is going to have black trim. I thought the trim color, topper, invisiglass, removeable signed wood cover over the apron and numbered plaque (maybe shaker too) were the only difference between the LE and standard.

I am fairly sure that the non-LE will have stainless steel trim.

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I am fairly sure that the non-LE will have stainless steel trim.

Its standard B/W style stainless.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Jack/Keith
What is the airspeed velocity of a Swallow while gripping a coconut husk?
Kim

And how does it compare to a flying monkey gripping a pinball?
Too slow and you lose the flow.

#30 11 years ago

Too bad they can't do The Haunted Mansion. That would be a killer pin (if done properly). But I know Disney is the worst as far as licensing. The pins would be $15,000 each lol. So, yeah... generic Haunted House would be the unlicensed equivalent

#31 11 years ago

Are they hiring???

#32 11 years ago

I want to know a lot more about the platform. Whats the hardware? What programming language?

Alex has eluded to it being Linux, but I can't imagine its a full distro. Is it a RTOS?

Also... same question as kwiKimart.

Quoted from kwiKimart:

Are they hiring???

I am happy with my job, but I think I could do some cool stuff engineering pinball toys/mechs. Anyone know around what designers and engineers get paid at a pinball company?

#33 11 years ago

I would like to know the interplay between Balcer and Keith as to design and rules. Did Keith give ideas/input to physical design? Is Joe giving input on rules or is it a complete handoff? How did Nordman shape the game or contribute? What design challenges were presented by some of the new technology they are using? What was the hardest unforeseen design problem? Can Keith have others help with coding or does he personally need to write every line?

This is all Expo fireside chat material.

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from Shadow:

Can Keith have others help with coding or does he personally need to write every line?

I've had this thought also, not just about WOZ but in game development of the past. Knowing very little about software, I always imagine there's a lot of grunt work involved to writing code(copying/pasting, rearranging, debugging etc) which could be delegated and overseen, while the lead software guy continues with the writing and creating, speeding up the process.

#35 11 years ago

I would like to know how far along in the production process the games are and when they realistically plan on shipping the games. Also, when will the standard versions get underway?

#36 11 years ago
Quoted from denmark71:

I would like to know how far along in the production process the games are and when they realistically plan on shipping the games. Also, when will the standard versions get underway?

DITO, surprised it took this long for that question. Should get a few thumbs up for that one.

#37 11 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I want to know a lot more about the platform. Whats the hardware? What programming language?
Alex has eluded to it being Linux, but I can't imagine its a full distro. Is it a RTOS?
Also... same question as kwiKimart.

I am happy with my job, but I think I could do some cool stuff engineering pinball toys/mechs. Anyone know around what designers and engineers get paid at a pinball company?

It's a full distro however obviously it's a slim down package set and a performance optimized kernel.

#38 11 years ago

I really would like to know when a pay-to-play (test) pin is expected to be on location in New Jersey now that JJP knows what it knows about the delays that have been encountered. I would schedule a trip to the shore area to see and play it.

Expo will be too crowded and a two ball free game iwon't be the same as playing the real McCoy.

Apologies to McCoy Brothers/McCoy Global in Edmonton, Alberta.

#39 11 years ago

I would like to know if a WOZ pinballmachine is 6000 euro. What would the same machine cost me when there are zero licences involved?

I would like to know this so i know i stand any chance of buying a nib jjp unlicensed one day.

#40 11 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If you had the opportunity to sit down with Keith and Jack and ask a few questions, what would they be?

Just one:

Why on earth did you not go with fliptronics flipper mechs? That was the only (hardware) area where WMS technology was clearly superior.

I suspect there's multiple good reasons why they didn't. Damb shame though. I have no doubt the flippers will be just fine, but nothing beats snappy WMS fliptronic flippers.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

Why on earth did you not go with fliptronics flipper mechs?

It is using double wound coils, All Williams flipper parts from the baseplate on, you sure it isn't fliptronics or a form of it ?

LTG

#42 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It is using double wound coils, All Williams flipper parts from the baseplate on, you sure it isn't fliptronics or a form of it ?

In Clay's video, the game showed standard flipper button switches. No opto boards. No interrupters.

If that was just for the test game, that would be awesome. But I don't think so. As I said, I have no doubt the flippers will be just fine. Making them adjustable is huge. Was just hoping to feel that WMS snap with parts that aren't more than 10 years old.

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

In Clay's video, the game showed standard flipper button switches. No opto boards. No interrupters.

If that was just for the test game, that would be awesome. But I don't think so. As I said, I have no doubt the flippers will be just fine. Making them adjustable is huge. Was just hoping to feel that WMS snap with parts that aren't more than 10 years old.

You do know flipper button switches ( points ) are used in TAF, some Getaways, and can be used in any fliptronics application ?

There are good things about either way to fire a flipper coil.

LTG

#44 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You do know flipper button switches ( points )... can be used in any fliptronics application ?

Even in fliptronics 2? If so, that horrible!

Quoted from LTG:

There are good things about either way to fire a flipper coil.

True. Hell, I played an AC/DC this summer more than once with a flipper rubber missing and had a blast. Snappiness is preferred, but if I can hit the ball where it needs to go, I don't really care what parts make it possible.

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from phishrace:

LTG said:

You do know flipper button switches ( points ) are used in TAF, some Getaways, and can be used in any fliptronics application ?

Even in fliptronics 2? If so, that horrible!

It works, game doesn't know the difference. Wires are in each connector for flipper button opto boards, just don't use the ones for opto power.

LTG

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

It works, game doesn't know the difference.

I know some players can tell the difference. Not saying I could, but I can think of at least one friend who can. 99% of players wouldn't be able to tell the difference, but some can.

#48 11 years ago

Honestly I think the leaf switches work better than the optos. The optos are way more expensive, get dirty, the dreaded Sticky Flipper Syndrome era... I don't know that I "get" the benefit of the flipper opto switches.

#49 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Its standard B/W style stainless.

Is this a fact? Crap! I would rather have Stainless over painted. I guess I could always trade my LE for a regular version if all the other LE elements do not impress me enough. I would think that Stainless would be more expensive then painted. Unless they are painting over stainless, and no one would do that. .... I have thought about taking the painted trim off and adding Stainless, but It seams like a lot of Money/work for something that does not matter all that much.

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Is this a fact? Crap! I would rather have Stainless over painted. I guess I could always trade my LE for a regular version if all the other LE elements do not impress me enough. I would think that Stainless would be more expensive then painted. Unless they are painting over stainless, and no one would do that. .... I have thought about taking the painted trim off and adding Stainless, but It seams like a lot of Money/work for something that does not matter all that much.

It was obvious that Williams went to painted steel on RFM/SWEII to cut costs with the new size trim pieces being lower quantity with that different cabinet. Stern (Sega?) did it to cut probably$20-30 per machine. And the beat goes on...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
13,000 (OBO)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Skillshot Combo

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-dont-know-jack-what-would-you-like-to-know-about-jjpwoz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.