(Topic ID: 30308)

You build-it Pinball Machine kit?

By scarybeard

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“would you be interested in a built it yourself pinball machine?”

• Yes! 22 votes
      56%
    • Yes but not a full sized one, it would cost too much. 1 vote
      3%
    • No, there is a lot more that goes into a 'real' pinball machine. This would just be a cheap immitation. 9 votes
      23%
    • No. 7 votes
      18%

(39 votes)

#1 11 years ago

So I did a search of the web, and could not find any companies that offer you a 'build it yourself' pinball table. Then I searched this forum and could not find a thread where anyone brought it up. If I missed something, and this does exist, please show me the way to it, because I'm interested... but I wanted to throw the question out there and get some opinions of the Pinsiders on whether this is a good idea/bad idea, and what something like this would cost.

Personally I think the physical stuff like building the cabinet and installing flippers/bumpers is the fun part. The most Daunting element of building a machine 'from scratch' would be the computer elements. But, I was thinking, that given how popular tablet devices and smart phones have gotten, what if you could plug your iPad or smart phone into a port in your back box and it acted as your dot matrix display, while an app in the device controlled the lights and mechanics in the table, and kept score?

Those devices are way more powerful than the boards in the backboxes of pinball machines, and most people already own them, or have easy access to them. You could even program your own sounds into each element on the field through the app on the device, so you could make the theme of your pinball machine literally anything you want, if you were willing to take the time to build it and make the artwork for it...

personally I'd be willing to pay 2k for a machine I had to build myself if it meant I would own the only "The big Lebowski" pinball machine in the world.

What do you think?

#2 11 years ago

Heathkit had a build it yourself pinball machines in the early 80s.

Bally "Fireball", Brunswick "Aspen" and probably more I don't remember.

#3 11 years ago

you can get a zombieland build it yourself for just and extra $1000

#4 11 years ago

I think you're oversimplifying what a pinball machine does. Could a smartphone handle all that a pinball does to compute as far as computing power? Probably.. Could it simultaneously keep score and play movies? possibly. Would you still need to have some sort of external driverboard to interpret switch inputs to drive all that? Yes .. Now add two-way communication (so after it interprets input, it can run lights, and motors, and solenoids) and your phone might exceeds it's limitations.

I'm not saying a pinball cpu couldn't be run by something far more cost effective, open-source, and easy to program (P-ROC is a good start). Some are bypassing P-roc altogether with a custom rasberry pi system ($35 cpu that will run quake 3 at 70fps with HD video), some are going the arduino route (perfect digital to analog system with simple coding, dirt cheap, and open source coding available for download). I know there are a lot of hobbyists out there developing systems like this. I know one guy on here that developed a simple flash-like system to keep score (I think he was using his ipad to run it).

#5 11 years ago

toyotaboy could you get some more info on the ipad flash scoring - got me curious.
    cheers

#6 11 years ago

Well I'm not so sure that it would function exactly the same way as what is considered a 'standard' pinball machine would work. You'd have to design it with features that compliment the computing power of whatever device you were using, as well as try to limit the amount of moving mechanical bits. Probably more of a hybrid or different style of table than people are used to. Probably not for everyone, but could be a neat hobby project for those who are already into this hobby.

Anyway I did come across The zombieland website and will be very interested to see how they go about producing things. right now it seems like they are holding their cards very close to the chest.

#7 11 years ago

Here's the thread about the flash application:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-homebrew-project-actionpin#post-260439

Weird thing is, his blog seems to be down? Here's his video:

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Here's the thread about the flash application:
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/my-homebrew-project-actionpin#post-260439
    Weird thing is, his blog seems to be down? Here's his video:
    » YouTube video

That is cool..an ipac keyboard emulator with pc activated by a playfield targets/switches with software that keeps track of score/player/ball and maybe sound all displayed on a tablet. Ipac can handle up to 56 unique switches.

http://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

#9 11 years ago

I wouldn't mind buying a kit as long as I don't have to actually build a cabinet, paint and decal it from scratch. Bolting prefab sides together would be no problem. I have swapped a playfield before so populating a new one is no issue. Just not sure if the cost savings is worth the hassle but could be for some.

#10 11 years ago

the cost would have to be super cheap. Like 2k or less cheap. and the wiring harness has to be completely done with plugs. If it's not. I don't give a shit how cheap it is, there is no way in hell anyone is getting that together in a month.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-build-it-pinball-machine-kit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.