(Topic ID: 100254)

Pintastic New England 2015! Thank You Everyone!!!

By Pinfidel

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,302 posts
  • 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“So, who's pumped and in?”

• It's about time and I'll be there. 60 votes
      63%
    • This is great and I hope I can make it. 35 votes
      37%

(95 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_11621.jpg
    tumblr_mmhiwc7hse1s0o92ao1_250.gif
    Panoramic_View_of_Free_Playjpg_1.jpg
    IMG_1043_1.jpg
    IMG_1009_1.jpg
    IMG_1006_1.jpg
    IMG_0995_2.jpg
    IMG_0995_2.jpg
    01eff6d9216547746ffe57f56b1751df0c9628bb56.jpg
    0182fe85774db01fb93c0b913aa01e96bf7f22b442.jpg
    0170f3b0bdd6b715cdf1a1d0c27fa48fdf56a138d0_1.jpg
    0125b77e306f31644c26a84ff174744c26ec69f481.jpg
    01ef2b887c1a5b41de88808d53443678eb68964681.jpg
    image.jpg
    019d4c585869555c24d614f2cb6f492ebeca5cb235.jpg
    019c21321729a7cafa42eeefa036176ac6af10439a.jpg
    There are 1,302 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 27.
    #301 9 years ago

I've got mixed emotions about this. I don't do the restores for the money or a trophy. Bringing a machine to the show for people to check out and play should be the free ticket in. The reward for best machine is a huge amount of cash. I think a trophy would be ample award for a job well done. I also worry about politics and wining when someone doesn't win because they really want the money. Or other people that over extend themselves on their games because they are hoping to recover the money when / if they win.

You guys are doing a great job, keep up the good work. I'm in 100 percent and look forward to the show. As far as restore goes, I have a couple in mind, I may leave that up to a vote later on for which one / ones go to the show.

#302 9 years ago

I agree with the Doctor. A trophy should be reward enough to show that people appreciate their work. Increasing the entry fee will discourage the novice restorer from entering, prohibiting them from showing their work, knowing they cannot compete with some of the veterans. Lets keep this fun and stress free or else it will be the same 2-3 veterans winning year after year.

#303 9 years ago

Purple text on a black background is a bit hard to read. And as far as the restore contest, I'll just be glad to see these games out in the open!

#304 9 years ago

This is NOT Gabe's and my show. This is YOUR show. We want to try to do and have everything that everyone wants. We want to go all out, every year and make Pintastic a pinball destination and put New England on the pinball map because we have some of pinballs most passionate fans. So keep the thoughts and ideas coming.

We know that most people who restore games do it more for the fun and prestige of it. As someone who's done a lot of restoration work, I appreciate the time and effort that goes into it. We want to be different and have some cash and prizes for you guys because you deserve it and it's our way of saying thank you for all the hard work and adding some awesome excitement to the show.

Remember, every attendee who walks through the door is entitled to 1 vote. There is no way to rig this and no politics will play into it because there will be hundreds of new people at the show. They will be choosing the machines that they think are best. So politics will play no part in this.

I'm super excited!

#305 9 years ago
    Quoted from Daniml:

I agree with the Doctor. A trophy should be reward enough to show that people appreciate their work. Increasing the entry fee will discourage the novice restorer from entering, prohibiting them from showing their work, knowing they cannot compete with some of the veterans. Lets keep this fun and stress free or else it will be the same 2-3 veterans winning year after year.

This is the last thing we want whether it's with the Restoration Throwdown or the pinball tourney. Regardless, we can't control who enters, prizes or not.

Now, we did have some people say that trophies and ribbons we all that were needed when the idea was started, but we really wanted to have some cool stuff for people. And lets face it, $500 in cash and another $500 in prizes spread out between several winners is not a whole lot of money. So I'm sure that the novice restorers will be very proud to show off their great, quality work regardless.

That said, we'll see how it goes this year and maybe we'll change it up next year. We're open to anything.

#306 9 years ago

Sorry guys, I've been sick and yesterday it just knocked me down and I never touched the computer.

Anyway, there's been a lot of great discussion on the BPA about the Throwdown Contest so I want to say a couple things on it.

My take with this is, I look at it like a car restoration. You can do or spend as much or as little as you want. You can make it purely original and rebuild the original engine and tranny and do it factory numbers matching inside and out. OR, you can make it a resto-mod where you through in a new motor and tranny and install all digital gauges and a killer stereo and nav system with DVD screen in the dash and head rests.

Same goes with the pin you're choosing. You can do whatever you wish and spend whatever you want. Just document the process and show receipts as proof of your work.

As of now, I have more people wanting to up the entrance fee and building up the prize pot than those that don't, but I'm hoping to get more responses back before the decision is made.

Don't put yourself under any pressure to win. Some have said they do it for fun and that's awesome. Don't worry about winning. Just use this as a great opportunity to have some fun aand show off your talents. Let's face it, when you restore something and make it beautiful again, that prize enough. So don't get tied up into winning or thinking you have no shot. Just do your restore and bring it out for everyone to enjoy. Who knows how people are going to vote.

Lastly, we are adding a new element to the show for nicest games that's in addition to the Throwdown contest, but Gabe is the one working out the details, so I'm going to let him give you guys the details on that.

Thanks all.

#307 9 years ago

First just want to say thank you, for recognition of the restore idea/competition. I thought of the idea like a car show. I thought this would be a great chance to show your stuff on games left for dead, and it will surely be an eye catcher to anyone entering the show.

Secondly, If I enter a game for the competition, it wouldn't be for the prize money. Any amount of prize money is gravy imho, $500 would be some nice gravy too, but the real reward would be someone flipping through your scrap book and appreciating what you put into your game, or giving some inspiration to someone to get going on their project pin.
    We would be putting our best work out on the table, and I think this will be a draw for anyone (everyone?) that appreciates the silver ball.

Cheers!
    James

#308 9 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

If I enter a game for the competition, it wouldn't be for the prize money. Any amount of prize money is gravy imho, $500 would be some nice gravy too, but the real reward would be someone flipping through your scrap book and appreciating what you put into your game, or giving some inspiration to someone to get going on their project pin.
    We would be putting our best work out on the table, and I think this will be a draw for anyone (everyone?) that appreciates the silver ball.

You nailed it James. The prize money is just potential gravy. Do a restoration because you want the satisfaction of restoring it, bringing it back to life and seeing people's eyes light up at the show. That's what's most important. The prizes are not what this is about.

Restoring a game is a very special and gratifying accomplishment. But putting it on display and having people ohhh and ahhh it in appreciation gives you the best feeling and what it's all about.

Thanks again James for such a great show idea.

#309 9 years ago

Happy Friday all!

Just wanted to say that there have been a bunch more website changes made over the last 2 days based on your feedback.

The feeling with our site is that we are a "pinball" exclusive site and being as such, we wanted our site to reflect on what pinball truly is. Piinball is bright, colorful, cheerful, whimsical and fun! I mean, besides a big box of Crayola's, what's more colorful than pinball? The great Centaur excluded.

So, we wanted the site to be modeled after the awesome hobby that we love. We didn't want to be another normal, stuffy, old, plain, basic, black and white, generic website. We feel that different, colorful, whimsical fonts against a black back round for easier reading would set us apart and make us stand out.

So let us know what you guys think.

#310 9 years ago

Update looks great! I was just thinking. How about adding a page where we can post pics of the places that the posters were hung? That way we can inform the business that their location will be posted on the Pintastic site showing the poster and promoting their business at the same time.

#311 9 years ago
    Quoted from Daniml:

How about adding a page where we can post pics of the places that the posters were hung?

I don't need a picture of a poster up here.

But I would like to get one for here. Where do we get them ?

Thank you,
    Lloyd ™

#312 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I don't need a picture of a poster up here.

Just to clarify. I meant a page on the Pintastic website.

#313 9 years ago
    Quoted from Daniml:

Just to clarify. I meant a page on the Pintastic website.

I'm sorry, I should have worded my response better.

I don't need credit on the Pintastic website, just would like a poster to promote them in my business.

LTG : )™

#314 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I don't need credit on the Pintastic website, just would like a poster to promote them in my business.

Yes Lloyd we would love it if you put one up at your awesome arcade! PM sent.

Anyone else interested please PM me and I will get them one A.S.A.P.

#315 9 years ago
    Quoted from Daniml:

Update looks great! I was just thinking. How about adding a page where we can post pics of the places that the posters were hung? That way we can inform the business that their location will be posted on the Pintastic site showing the poster and promoting their business at the same time.

Dan...you ARE the man!

I like it and thinks that's really cool. Maybe make one page with a collage of pics of the businesses with the poster in it and then under the picture I can put the name of the business in there as well? I'll even make it a hyperlink to their company website too. Anyone who gives out a poster can tell the business that that's part of our way of saying thank you.

Thanks again for the awesome idea daniml "The Animal"!

#316 9 years ago

I know this is a lot of work and I just wanted to thank you guys for doing this.

#317 9 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Thank you Lloyd. I sincerely appreciate that my friend. Thanks again!

#318 9 years ago

TY darkknight. Many have expressed their appreciation and have said thanks. It means a lot. And so many people have had a hand in the show I can't even begin to thank everyone.

Pintastic really is EVERYONE's show and we love all you out there for everything you're doing to help promote the event and make it a huge success. Gabe and I just want you all to have an awesome time and the vendors and sponsors see tons of people at the show so it becomes a great New England tradition.

Thanks again everyone!

#319 9 years ago

PINTASTIC BEST IN SHOW CONTEST

All pinball machines on the Pintastic floor are going to be eligible for a "Best In Show" award. This contest is going to be very similar to what goes on at other shows like the Texas Pinball Festival.

The Categories Are: Best Machine pre 1970.....Best 70's Machine.....Best 80's Machine.....Best 90's Machine.....Best Modern Machine (2000 - Present).....Best Modded or Re-Themed Machine.

There will be a custom PINTASTIC award for the BEST in each category!

The panel of judges will be made up of Pintastic staff, volunteers and vendors of the show. These judges will be pinball people and they'll know what they're looking for.

We hope everyone brings out their BEST to help make Pintastic New England an amazing show.

All winners will be announced at 5pm on Saturday July 11th. Any machine that was on the show room floor at some point during Pintastic New England is eligible.

Lets show everyone that New England has the BEST pinball machines in the World!

***Restoration Throwdown Contest machines are excluded from this contest. ***

#320 9 years ago

I came up with a unique idea for the show contest. How about another level of the restore / best in show contest. A "It worked the best in show" category that works in conjunction to the best restore and or best in show. The way it would work is the person that enters the sub category works best in show, would turn the keys over for their game and have a marker on the game indicating the categories it is entered in. If for any reason the ball gets stuck, game malfunctions and the glass has to be removed then they are disqualified from the worked best in show category, and their best in show or best restored will get a deduction. Last machine standing wins. If it's a multi way tie, then it goes to best in show / best restore votes to award tie breakers etc.

Just food for thought

#321 9 years ago

Eric although I appreciate what you were trying to do with this I don't think it would work very well in this type of environment. To many people around, to many other things that need to be watched and followed. Pins break and balls get stuck that is the reality. Cant judge the restore on those types of things. But thank you for the idea keep them coming.

#322 9 years ago

This is a great article posted up by PinballEric. So if anyone missed it, I wanted to add it here along with my comments on the thread.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/stern-pinball-ces-2015/

Stern Pinball also does a lot more PR and outreach nowadays — partially just to let people know they’re still around, and partially to expose pinball to new players. The gaming landscape has become far more competitive and crowded in the past couple decades, so pinball needs more evangelists than it used to.

“That’s why we’re here talking to people like you,” he explains. “We’re here to promote pinball, because life would exist without pinball, but a little bit of the fabric of life would be gone if pinball didn’t exist.”

*This is the main reason Gabe and I are doing the Pintastic Pinball Show for New England. We really want to see the hobby grow and get stronger so it gets passed down to future generations.

We are specifically targeting people who think pinball is dead. You know who they are. The people who loved playing pinball at the arcades in the 80s and 90s but think they aren't made anymore since most arcades have closed down. We want to get them into the hobby just as we all are.

We believe that once they hear about this this giant pinball show here, they'll come out, fall in love all over again and then buy into the hobby like we all have. This is what will not only help to keep pinball alive, but thrive! That's what we care about most.

Very encouraging article and I thank you for posting it up Eric.

**To add here...
    I'd just like to thank everyone here who has been getting the word out about the show. Getting new people into this hobby is what the whole thing is about. New people means more money. More money means more games being sold (Both new & used) and parts being made and sold. It's about strengthening our beloved hobby and seeing it grow.

So thanks again and keep up the great work guys. We'll be sending our proofs out to the printers soon. We're having lots of posters and postcards made out and we'll be sure to get them into the hands that want them so you can get them out there too. We're also happy to get posters to people who would like them just to hang up in your game room or whatever. Just let us know.

#323 9 years ago

You guys coming to sanctum next week? Eric will be there.

#324 9 years ago

Pintastic New England is happy to announce that MONSTER MOBILE ARCADE will be a fixture in the out door flee market!

"Our brand new 40' state of the art trailer is climate controlled for year round operation. We are self-powered to offer this unique gaming experience just about anywhere you have a party planned. With over 200 games available there will be hours of fun to be had by young and young at heart alike."

ALL GAMES WILL BE SET ON FREE PLAY......except the candy and prize machines of course lol.

Check out there web page for more info www.monstermobilearcade.com

monster1.jpgmonster1.jpg
    #325 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

We are planning on coming out on Wednesday. Hope we can discuss....tournament....trophies....exct.

#326 9 years ago

We will definitely be there Wednesday Jim. Looking forward to seeing everyone and playing some pinball! Oh wait! Eric's gonna be there!? Uhmm...Yeah, Uhhh I think I have something to do that night.

J/K! Can't wait!

#327 9 years ago

Local newspaper is planning to come out wednesday too......how convienent

#328 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

We will definitely be there Wednesday Jim. Looking forward to seeing everyone and playing some pinball! Oh wait! Eric's gonna be there!? Uhmm...Yeah, Uhhh I think I have something to do that night.
    J/K! Can't wait!

LOL see you guys there

#329 9 years ago

Local newspaper is planning to come out wednesday too......how convienent

We wouldn't want to take ANYTHING away from the Sanctum story. They are coming out to talk about you guys and the Sanctum, not Pintastic. You deserve the focus to be 100% on you guys and the Sanctum alone.

It's seems like mother nature will prevent us from coming out tomorrow anyway. Definitely not worth getting into an accident and Gabe has to work late cleaning snow at all his job sites. Major bummer as we were both looking forward to coming out again. We'll have to make it for next week if that's okay?

#330 9 years ago

Next week is fine. Only got 8" here and was done at 10am. If you end up free everything will be all clear here as it already is

#331 9 years ago

What a difference a day makes! Turns out Gabe doesn't have to work late and since the snow isn't nearly as bad over by you CT. boys, we're gonna man up and come down. Can't wait and we'll see you all there!

#332 9 years ago

Our updated post cards are on the way to the printer. Let us know if you want some!

Pintastic card#2 final front.pdfPintastic card#2 final front.pdf Pintastic card#2 final back.pdfPintastic card#2 final back.pdf
    1 week later
    #333 9 years ago

Hey everyone were still here working hard to bring New England kick ass show. So far I have 6 well known pinball speakers lined up for Pintastic New England. We are sparing no exspence and flying in the people you want to hear and meet face to face.

Our guest speakers will start to be announced about 3 months before show time. Book your rooms now while they last....only $99 even for sweets!

#334 9 years ago

that logo would have been so cool if the flipper was coming off of Massachusetts where Cape Cod would be!

#335 9 years ago
    Quoted from Richthofen:

that logo would have been so cool if the flipper was coming off of Massachusetts where Cape Cod would be!

Than were would the flipper be shooting? Into the water maybe? Trust me we tryed a bunch of things with the flipper and location of the spinner. We had over 40 different design changes. Jake did a fantastic job! We love the final result.

#336 9 years ago

I may have missed it but is Stern planning to attend? Dutch Pinball? I see Jersey Jack is coming.

#337 9 years ago

Not sure I've told you guys yet but I'm attending!

#338 9 years ago

You may want to push to later in July. Hopefully all of the snow is melted by then.

#339 9 years ago
    Quoted from mainelycoasters:

I may have missed it but is Stern planning to attend? Dutch Pinball? I see Jersey Jack is coming.

I have a yes from all 3. Not sure who will be coming from sterns but working on a few top people. Sterns games will be represented well by automated. Automated has a large sterns area and large jjp area reserved in the vendor hall.

#340 9 years ago

Good I want a good up close look at the new spike system. Looking forward to helping with setup! I may or may not have a pin to sell. Not sure yet, kinda like the ones I own.

#341 9 years ago

Have you reserved your room for PINTASTIC NEW ENGLAND yet? There is only limited space at the on site Sturbridge Host Hotel. They are still running a special for $99 just enter the group code.....1507Pintas

This rate is good for all rooms in the hotel even suites while they last! WE ONLY HAVE 105 ROOM NIGHT LEFT AT THIS PRICE POINT!

We all know what happens if you wait to long. We only have a set number of rooms available to us at this time. Book now don't wait. Its so nice to just walk up and down from your room to the show. Remember your hotel room key is your way into the Friday night after party!

#342 9 years ago

We at Pintastic are going to expand the stereo typical pinball show of today. We have said it from the beginning we want Pintastic to be family event. Check out our FOR THE KIDS page below!

http://www.pintasticnewengland.com/for-the-kids.html

#343 9 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

only $99 even for sweets!

...and stop calling me sweets!

#344 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

LOL Ted.

I think he meant...Sweet Suites?

#345 9 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

Ted you sell yourself short. Only $99 lol

#346 9 years ago

I may have a new game room to fill by the time the show comes......

#347 9 years ago

Pintastic New England seminar room. This is were the pinball greats will speak and we will listen!

speaking.jpgspeaking.jpg
    #348 9 years ago

I didn't realize I was speaking at Pintastic. I'll look forward to it!

Bump for a great show!

#349 9 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I didn't realize I was speaking at Pintastic. I'll look forward to it!
    Bump for a great show!

We could do a special event "THE ROASTING OF BEELZEBOB"

What do you think?

#350 9 years ago

I'm in. Although I get that quite a bit on Pinside.

(Not really sure who "Beelzebob" is...)

There are 1,302 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/you-asked-for-it-you-got-itpinballs-over-new-england/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.