(Topic ID: 100254)

Pintastic New England 2015! Thank You Everyone!!!

By Pinfidel

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,302 posts
  • 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 35 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“So, who's pumped and in?”

• It's about time and I'll be there. 60 votes
      63%
    • This is great and I hope I can make it. 35 votes
      37%

(95 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 172 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_11621.jpg
    tumblr_mmhiwc7hse1s0o92ao1_250.gif
    Panoramic_View_of_Free_Playjpg_1.jpg
    IMG_1043_1.jpg
    IMG_1009_1.jpg
    IMG_1006_1.jpg
    IMG_0995_2.jpg
    IMG_0995_2.jpg
    01eff6d9216547746ffe57f56b1751df0c9628bb56.jpg
    0182fe85774db01fb93c0b913aa01e96bf7f22b442.jpg
    0170f3b0bdd6b715cdf1a1d0c27fa48fdf56a138d0_1.jpg
    0125b77e306f31644c26a84ff174744c26ec69f481.jpg
    01ef2b887c1a5b41de88808d53443678eb68964681.jpg
    image.jpg
    019d4c585869555c24d614f2cb6f492ebeca5cb235.jpg
    019c21321729a7cafa42eeefa036176ac6af10439a.jpg

There are 1302 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 27.
    #1151 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daniml:

Gabe makes it sound like unicorns and ice cream! Don't believe a word he says, he's a slave driver! But seriously, my biggest regret is that I couldn't offer more of my services. I volunteered for 8 hours on Thursday for setup, 4 hours on Fri morning until the rest of my party arrived, then another several hours Sat night wrapping things up. Not only do you get to spend quality time with Gabe and Derek but with the vendors and speakers as well. I helped Andrew setup Full Throttle, John with his BBB, and Gerry with Lexy. Talk about front row action! The after party for vendors, staff, and hotel guest was the icing on the cake with free-food, great company, and unlimited game play without the crowds. It's starting to sound like old hat but the sincerity is still there ... thank you Gabe and Derek for doing what others had always hoped and dreamed but not brave enough to tackle. Pintastic is now "On The Map"!!!

Dan I was wondering who would step up to be one of our key guys just like Ivan has at Allentown. You are one of those guys now!

#1152 4 years ago

Pintastic was Fantastic - a Pin-blast-ic good time.

Gabe and Derek put together an event of such quality I could not have imagined it possible. THANKS guys!

From the Free-Play to the vendors booths & participation, this was a top-notch show that went way beyond my expectations especially for a first time outing. A concession stand with snacks, beer & wine next to the FP room added nicely to the festivities.

The family fun add-ons were a super touch. The hilarious bicycling clown, face painting that were works of art and good sized carnival kids rides added tons to a family's experience. I saw about a half-dozen hotel guests get roped into buying tickets to the show just so there kids to do the rides - and viola! they tried pinball also. Set the bait and reel them in. The slight of hand guys always had a few young ones watching in disbelief. I watched from the side and back and I was just as befuddled as the kids ( did I mention beer earlier )

The best was: new friends galore! and faces to 'virtual' friends. Pinsiders who said Hi! when seeing my Pinside badge. What a great group.

The comments in this thread indicate all who went had the best of times and those who did not make it wish they could of. My wife - not into pins by any means stated that she wants to do this every year and asked where there might be similar shows and accommodations - that was the key for her. All in one spot: walk to food, drinks, beach, lake, pool and a comfy room.

The only debate I read is WHEN next year.
    No matter what weekend there will be issues. Conflicts with other shows and 'family availability' are key. June is tough due to schools in session. May is tough with college graduations & travel. In August the week or two before Labor Day are often family's last hurrah of summer or kids being to colleges. So not much to choose from. I believe that if it is to be a summer show and have a strong 'family - all ages' component then mid-July or early August still comes out a a good choice. Maybe we could hire a rainmaker????

Would the same time as the Brimfield Antique Circus umm Show be a good fit? Tons of additional bodies in the area. Some who would rather NOT be out in the hot sun looking at ass-worn chairs. Those tired of buying used stuff could play used stuff! Or is the area so over run and prices jacked then that it would detract more than add. If it rained or even got cloudy I bet some folk would drop in.

For me - doesn't matter. I'll be there!

Gabe, Derek, all the other volunteers: THANKS!
    Also a special thanks to the Sanctum Crew - great people and a well run couple of tournaments on a great selection of machines.

Tom

#1153 4 years ago

Coworkers with copiers! Gotta love 'em.

IMG_0057.JPG

This is what I came back to work to. I guess they knew I would have a 'ball'!
    Note the hearing protection on the left. They must actually care. Gosh.

#1154 4 years ago

Are those ear plugs?

#1155 4 years ago

Sorry, didn't scroll far enough down to see your last line.

#1156 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daniml:

Are those ear plugs?

Yep - I a safety/hazmat guy and sent them a noise level I took during the peak of activity 105db. My wife said she would play longer if I brought some next year. Maybe get Pintastic labeling and hand them out like condoms from a college clinic.

#1157 4 years ago

I don't know. A summer show especially in the northeast will always conflict with other events. I think the choice of dates this time was a good fit but maybe a week later would be better, although room availability might be tight because of Brimfield. Early August wouldn't be bad either.

#1158 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaphod:

Yep - I a safety/hazmat guy and sent them a noise level I took during the peak of activity 105db. My wife said she would play longer if I brought some next year. Maybe get Pintastic labeling and hand them out like condoms from a college clinic.

Yup. I always bring ear plugs. It doesn't take much to permanently damage your hearing. You tend to ignore just how loud it can get because you're having so much fun.

#1159 4 years ago

I was getting a headache if I stayed in the Freeplay area for more than an hour. I grabbed a set of earplugs from my car and popped them in. Headache slowly went away. Good idea for these shows and for concerts to have a set handy. =)

Quoted from zaphod:

#1160 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Yup. I always bring ear plugs. It doesn't take much to permanently damage your hearing. You tend to ignore just how loud it can get because you're having so much fun.

WHAT???

#1161 4 years ago

Earplugs for pinball. lol. Now I have heard it all!

#1162 4 years ago
    Quoted from Jared:

Now I have heard it all!

Not if you'd been using your earplugs!

#1163 4 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Not if you'd been using your earplugs!

LOL!!!

#1164 4 years ago

It was the first show that sounded almost close to my game room. I loved that the volumes were so high...I could actually experience the game the way it should be played.

Saturday morning, coming down the hall of the hotel, I was passing the room where the afterparty was and I heard the BONG! of the ACDC bell being hit all the way down the hall. Made me smile.

I'm a guy who likes the volume up so loud I can almost feel it in my balls. Pintastic came close.

#1165 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaphod:

Yep - I a safety/hazmat guy and sent them a noise level I took during the peak of activity 105db.

Wow! Thanks for posting this.
    I'll be sure to bring some hearing protection for my daughter, if she wants to play in the big room next year.

#1166 4 years ago

As a complete novice to pinball who accidentally stumbled into the event, I have to say it was a great time. It was really cool to see how vastly different the various machines can be. I had a lot of fun despite the fact that I suck at pinball. If anyone watched someone who lost the ball within 10 seconds of shooting it, that was probably me.

I noticed a lot of the freeplay machines were for sale. Out of curiosity, how does that usually go down? Do most people take the machine then and there? Were there any vendors that would help facilitate shipping? Just curious for when I buy one next year.

#1167 4 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't know. A summer show especially in the northeast will always conflict with other events. I think the choice of dates this time was a good fit but maybe a week later would be better, although room availability might be tight because of Brimfield. Early August wouldn't be bad either.

In practical terms, the Brimfield weeks are pretty much impossible. (Brimfield is the next town West of Sturbridge.) Check out the aerial photo on the brimfield.com home page. These events drive up hotel rates in a 60-mile radius!

Early August might be better, on a weekend adjacent to ReplayFX.

I agree about conflicts. I think the best we can hope for is no conflicts with gamer-cons on two levels. (1) No conflicts with any "worldwide" show that has pinball (NW Pinball Show, ReplayFX, Pinball Expo), and (2) avoid conflicts with regional shows based on arcade/coin-op content and the radius from which the show draws. As an example of (2), Louisville Arcade Expo has a lot of pinball content and draws from Pennsylvania and Virginia, as does Pintastic. There isn't much chance of the dates conflicting; I just chose that example for its geography. I think it's OK to have the Southern-Fried Gameroom Expo (Georgia) and the Rocky Mountain Pinball Showdown (Colorado) on the same weekend as each other, but there could be issues with SFGE and Pintastic on the same weekend.
    .................David Marston

#1168 4 years ago
    Quoted from mesa:

As a complete novice to pinball who accidentally stumbled into the event, I have to say it was a great time. It was really cool to see how vastly different the various machines can be. I had a lot of fun despite the fact that I suck at pinball. If anyone watched someone who lost the ball within 10 seconds of shooting it, that was probably me.
    I noticed a lot of the freeplay machines were for sale. Out of curiosity, how does that usually go down? Do most people take the machine then and there? Were there any vendors that would help facilitate shipping? Just curious for when I buy one next year.

Welcome to the slippery slope!! Lots of people had pins that were for sale, I had 5 pins for sale, the sale usually goes down with price being negotiated then cash changes hands, and at the end of the evening I usually assist in breaking it down and loading it in the buyer vehicle, I even throw in a strap if needed. I would guess at least 60% of the pins at a show are usually for sale, It really promotes bringing them in to begin with. There actually was a pin hauler at the show, but most haul their own home.

#1169 4 years ago
    Quoted from mesa:

If you're buying a new game from a vendor, there's no need to wait until next year.

Don't worry about not being great at pinball, as long as you enjoy it. It's very likely there are lots of people worse than you, and you at least have a lot of potential to get better.

If you're in Saugus, you're only an hour away from this event. You should be able to find people here or on the Boston Pinball Association list that can help you transport a game, or even sell you one.

The rules of the show stated that all sold games needed to remain in the Free Play room until the end of the day on which they sold. Some people did a better job following this rule than others.

#1170 4 years ago

We should have a novice section at the show. You demonstrate how to break down and setup machines.

9:00 EM - removing heads & keyed harness plugs

10:00 Hinged heads, blanket and strap

11:00 Drilling a lock

Have a handout with common tools to bring.

1:00 Social game rooming / the value of friends - Now that your hooked invite people. You may need them on your next run.

2:00 Advanced staircase moving - Why an Escalera is cheaper than back surgery

Buying your next car - Will a pin fit in a . . .

#1171 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

We should have a novice section at the show. You demonstrate how to break down and setup machines.
    9:00 EM - removing heads & keyed harness plugs
    10:00 Hinged heads, blanket and strap
    11:00 Drilling a lock
    Have a handout with common tools to bring.
    1:00 Social game rooming / the value of friends - Now that your hooked invite people. You may need them on your next run.
    2:00 Advanced staircase moving - Why an Escalera is cheaper than back surgery
    Buying your next car - Will a pin fit in a . . .

I know you're joking but I would love a "owning a pinball machine 101" type of seminar.
    I plan on volunteering next year for set-up and breakdown with learning all I can about the process in mind.

#1172 4 years ago
    Quoted from Quint:

I know you're joking but I would love a "owning a pinball machine 101" type of seminar.
    I plan on volunteering next year for set-up and breakdown with learning all I can about the process in mind.

Half joking. After so many years of doing this I don't have enough back strength to do something like this.

But since I have don't teaching I can do a white-board and repair theory

8:00 Game diagnostics are there for a reason, use them first.

9:00 Why is that bulb stuck on? Transistor testing 101.

10:00 Why are there two balls in the shooter lane? Trough theory switch and opto.

#1173 4 years ago

On a Pintastic-related note, do we know yet where we'll find the results for the various tournaments - Pintastic Web site, Sanctum site or on the NeverDrains page? I had no hope of winning anything but it's always fun to see who did

I realize the guys are catching their breath, so no rush, just wondering where to keep an eye out.

#1174 4 years ago
    Quoted from Toyguy:

On a Pintastic-related note, do we know yet where we'll find the results for the various tournaments - Pintastic Web site, Sanctum site or on the NeverDrains page? I had no hope of winning anything but it's always fun to see who did
    I realize the guys are catching their breath, so no rush, just wondering where to keep an eye out.

Here is the grand prize winner of $1000 cash

image.jpg

#1175 4 years ago

How do you guys think late August would work for vendors making sales? This is one of my big concerns. Some of the vendors at the show did not sell as much as they thought. Why do you think this happened?

#1176 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

How do you guys think late August would work for vendors making sales?

I would think better. As we slide into fall, indoor activities like pinball speed up.

LTG : )

#1177 4 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I would think better. As we slide into fall, indoor activities like pinball speed up.

I bought a bunch of stuff in anticipation of winter projects. It's a little early yet, but I figured since there isn't another show in my area until next spring/summer, I might as well grab stuff while I can.

#1178 4 years ago
    Quoted from mesa:

the pinball group is a group of good people - i posted i had a 20 foot trailer there and if anybody needed a game taken back to RI to just call me - some guy name Doug (i Think) bought his first em off a guy from CT at the show - he put it in my trailer - waited for me to arrive on saturday night to grab the trailer - he then met me at my house - we took it out of my trailer and threw it in my ugly scion xb - i followed him to his house where we unloaded it - i showed him how to set it up - we made sure it still worked - then i went home - so he got his first game delivered right to his house from a complete stranger.

that is how good this community is - we all do that - so never worry as somebody will help you - thanks ed

#1179 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

How do you guys think late August would work for vendors making sales?

I think August 18-20 weekend might work this year as Labor Day is on 9/7, as late as it can be. Any other year I think you would need to go one week earlier [though it would actually be just a couple of days earlier) as many folk take the week just before Labor day as vacation in order to include the holiday and extend their time off.

Hopefully more folk attending equates to better vendor sales.

???? Are show prices extremely better on machines then what I might haggle with my local distributor ? As a first time go-er I do not have much or a clue but do folk go to shows to buy brand new machines or just to kick some tires and figure out what they want to get next, then contact their favorite distributor? I am not able to ever be a NIB buyer but if I was I think I would buy at a show only if I was aware of a fantastic deal being offered way in advance of the show esp. if I am not local.

Parts and mod vendors may be a bit different. Mayfair had a nice display of parts and I picked up a couple of things I wanted sooner than my next PBR order so convenience won out over price but price could easily drive some away as 60 cent bolts were $2 and $1.29 leg tees were $3 but no shipping and instant gratification is worth some coin and worth supporting the vendor whose travel costs need to be covered. I picked up a NOS backglass from Steve@Mayfair, he gave me a slight break in the price so I spent it with him - really like dealing with people directly!

As soon as a date is set I plan to start the chatter again as I have been since last September when I booked my room for this year. Don't want to miss a minute of Pintastic 2016!

-- Tom

#1180 4 years ago
    Quoted from zaphod:

As soon as a date is set I plan to start the chatter again as I have been since last September when I booked my room for this year. Don't want to miss a minute of Pintastic 2016!

Ready for chatter !

#1181 4 years ago
    Quoted from Toyguy:

I will be doing the final tallies tonight and submitting to ifpa for wppr points. I will post a link to results here too tonight.

-Jim

#1183 4 years ago
    Quoted from edcianci:

the pinball group is a group of good people - i posted i had a 20 foot trailer there and if anybody needed a game taken back to RI to just call me - some guy name Doug (i Think) bought his first em off a guy from CT at the show - he put it in my trailer - waited for me to arrive on saturday night to grab the trailer - he then met me at my house - we took it out of my trailer and threw it in my ugly scion xb - i followed him to his house where we unloaded it - i showed him how to set it up - we made sure it still worked - then i went home - so he got his first game delivered right to his house from a complete stranger.
    that is how good this community is - we all do that - so never worry as somebody will help you - thanks ed

Yep, Ed went above and beyond to get my first pin home. Originally, I figured I'd bring a van and pick it up at his house the next day but he offered to bring it home for me. Keep in mind this was around 12:30 AM in the morning. I was astounded by his generosity the whole time and his enthusiasm in helping others at the show. Ed, I owe you an ice cream cone next time I see you. You'll be happy to know it's getting a heck of a workout and I'm already trying to read schematics and change settings.

It was my first pinball show ever and my first game so it was intimidating to figure out the logistics of making my first purchase but Ed, Eric, Paul and the whole Pintastic crew made it a great and memorable experience. It's people like you guys who make this such a great and accessible hobby; your passion is contagious.

Regards,
    -Doug

FullSizeRender.jpg

#1184 4 years ago

Welcome to the addiction! Ed is a great guy I bought my first few pins from him way back.

#1185 4 years ago

I love the idea of early August for next year. My wife and I and work at a high school so the academic calendar kicks in during the last week of August and makes it tricky. Although not too many grown-ups would be affected by this, some regional schools are starting in that last week of August, too, so it might affect kid/family participation. Early or mid-August is fantastic, though.

#1186 4 years ago
    Quoted from Radagast:

Although not too many grown-ups would be affected by this, some regional schools are starting in that last week of August, too,

Around here lots of schools start falls sports (especially football) weeks before the school year starts and it reduces the traveling people do. I think it would impact more people than you might initially suspect...

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or for my Pin2K H+V sync combiner

#1187 4 years ago
    Quoted from Radagast:

I love the idea of early August for next year. My wife and I and work at a high school so the academic calendar kicks in during the last week of August and makes it tricky. Although not too many grown-ups would be affected by this, some regional schools are starting in that last week of August, too, so it might affect kid/family participation. Early or mid-August is fantastic, though.

What's better 19th 20th or 26th 27th of August 2016?

Were thinking of doing a Thursday after 5pm PITT PASS! Check out the show set up and play some pinball! Any interest?

#1188 4 years ago

begining of August better then end. Most people getting ready for school or back to college?

#1189 4 years ago

Thank you Eric Bundy johnny is mint and getting the full treatment color DMD and all!

#1191 4 years ago

Hi fellow Pinsiders... I've prepared a photo collage for those who missed Pintastic this year. You don't want to miss it again next year!

I flew back from Florida on Tuesday and prepared for the show on Wednesday. Here's an image of my rare "gold edition" JM ready for loading.
    IMG_0995.JPG

I took off early on Thursday morning determined not to miss anything - and arrived about noon on Thursday. My first stop was to check in to the hotel and drop off my bag. The rooms are nice!
    IMG_1006.JPG
    IMG_1009.JPG

Next I was off to find Gabe and Derek.
    On my way I noticed the rides setup by the flea market for the kiddos! I was sure to send copies of this picture to my kids who stayed in Florida so they would want to go next year. lol
    01a55fbaa5628514019b96779228b94587e9c30e26.jpg

I found Gabe "hiding" in the free play area.
    IMG_1043.JPG

He wasted no time putting me to work setting up Derek's pinball machines. Here's a panoramic view of the show! I took this on Saturday morning - and I assure you there were no "holes" in the lineup on Friday but several of the machines were sold during the course of the day.
    Panoramic View of Free Playjpg.jpg

Ok Gabe - I admit it - I couldn't resist sneaking in a couple of games on The Hobbit on Friday evening.
    01eff6d9216547746ffe57f56b1751df0c9628bb56.jpg

WOZ is a beautiful machine - but it was not my cup of tea. The Hobbit is another story entirely. I have only one word - WOW! JJP hit it out of the park on this one! The gameplay gets FAST at times (just like I like it) and Hobbit has great flow. The video sequences are beautiful, perfectly designed, and immersive! The LED Lighting is incredible both in it's layout and integration. This machine is no Smeagle - it is as fun to play as it is beautiful! I had an opportunity to speak with Jack on Thursday night during the vendor setup and again on Saturday evening during the last seminar with Lloyd Olson (LTG). Jack was friendly, helpful, down-to-earth, and freely shared his knowledge and experience as an operator and manufacturer. I have attended other shows - but have not experienced this level of access to industry leaders. All of that said - I couldn't resist playing a couple of games on the WOZ 75th edition - this machine is pure art! The lighting is incredible and if you like WOZ you will LOVE the 75th edition! I'll give you fair warning - you don't want to play the 75th Edition - or you'll be selling your WOZ emerald edition to upgrade!

We worked until after midnight as several vendors were still setting up but the free play area was ready and the vendor side was close. Fortunately - there was still time in the morning before the show opened to help the vendors finish setting up.

One of the really cool things about the show was the full schedule of seminars. I was so busy I forgot about them (even though they were announced) and only managed to catch two. On Saturday morning I took a break and enjoyed the vendor area. I picked up a few sheets of "show glass" for my machines to replace my old ones, got a couple of the Project Pinball T-Shirts for my wife and I, and loaded up my car with bargains on hard to find parts and accessories! I seriously did find some tremendous bargains on some plastics and other items. The vendor side of the show was amazing! They even had the MAD MAX car there!!
    014e2f3c0a6fa250f60433ae8b81b4b126dfc08af6.jpg

Heighway Pinball brought TWO full throttle pins! These are definitely not your father's pinball machines! They re-wrote the book on cabinet design with this one - and when I peeked inside - the innovation continued inside of the cabinet too! The playfield glass is built into a frame and lifts off instead of sliding out. The side panels of the pin are translucent and backlit with LEDs. If a collector or operator decides to upgrade the pin - one simply removes the playfield glass and the side panels lift out. The playfield changes with a couple of plugs and you swap the backglass. Its done in seconds - and for collectors with space issues - the old playfield can be boxed and stored under the machine! If you like a racing theme - you will love Full Throttle! On a final note - speaking with Andrew Heighway was a special treat. I found him curious, thoughtful, open, and engaging. Simply put - Andrew is a gentleman and one I would not hesitate to patronize knowing he is a person of integrity who will stand behind his product.

019c21321729a7cafa42eeefa036176ac6af10439a.jpg

I had seen MultiMorphic's "Lexy Lightyear" pin online and was pretty sure that I wouldn't like it. I am not a fan of the artwork because it looks like a line drawing and I prefer "comic book" artwork if a pin's art is not done in a photo-realistic style. The "line drawing" style and what I believe are dull colors used in illustrating the artwork are in my opinion unacceptable for a machine that I believe boasts the most unique and innovative designs of the show. When I watched the videos online I believed this machine would "feel" like a video pinball machine and not a traditional pin. I also believed that lacking "toys" on the lower video playfield might make gameplay difficult or boring.

BOY WAS I WRONG!

I played one game of the Lexy prototype at the show - and I am hooked. Aside from the artwork, this game offers EVERYTHING I love about pinball. FAST game play, ball interaction with the video playfield, playfield updates and "zooms in and out" to support the storyline and create new gameplay during an active game, an excellent story / theme, exquisite execution, beautiful and unique mechanical designs such as the floating and cantilevered flippers and bumpers. This game offers incredible gameplay and is for me the ONLY machine that rivals my other Grail title - AC/DC LE. (Please don't flame me - it's my honest opinion) There are so many disruptive and breakthrough technologies implemented in this machine - I pre-ordered one on the spot. I have never purchased any NIB pins much less pre-ordered one - but after playing this one, resistance was futile! It is well worth waiting in line to play if you have an opportunity - don't miss out.

While I was pre-ordering a Lexy from Gerry - Roger Sharpe walked up and I got to watch (and record) how the game plays with an exceptional player at the flippers - absolutely incredible! I watched in awe as Roger effortlessly stroked Lexy into a new high score! Machine aside - Gerry is a good guy. Adjectives I would use to describe him are "Brilliant, thoughtful, and open" He is a solid guy and I have no reservation buying from him. I cannot wait until it's ready for production! Oh, one last thing - if you play and then pre-order a Lexy as a result of my review - please put Mike Snell as the person who referred you!

019d4c585869555c24d614f2cb6f492ebeca5cb235.jpg

On Friday night after the show closed JJP sponsored an after party for the staff, those who were staying at the hotel, and collectors who were kind enough to bring their machines to the show. THANKS JACK!! One of the cool things about this show is that the organizers thought about making it family friendly. There was a video game tourney for the kids and it was PACKED each day. They even had face painting clowns! One of the acts was a wonderful magician. He was extremely talented and a really nice guy. I had the opportunity to sit and chat with him at the afterparty and learned he is the brother of one of the organizers! I kept him busy giving me a private magic show while Art macked on his girlfriend (Just kidding Art .

01ef2b887c1a5b41de88808d53443678eb68964681.jpg

It was a great time and although it was supposed to close at 1am I didnt get back to my room until after 2:30 because we were helping Derek with SouthPark. Derek - I love you brother - and for a technically challenged individual - you got skillz bra! (Don't ask how many pinsiders it takes to change a DMD - you don't want to know the answer!) I blame Derek for me oversleeping and not getting to the show until 9am on Saturday!

Saturday was awesome and amazingly - the flea market vendors restocked and there was even more cool stuff then! At the end of the day about time to break down the show - the organizers brought in a band to play during the tear down! First class all the way! The highlight of my Saturday was taking time out to attend LTG's last seminar. If you don't already know - LTG is a badass - but a nice one.
    0125b77e306f31644c26a84ff174744c26ec69f481.jpg

The discussion was awesome - and leveraged his expert knowledge of operating a gaming business, his background in technical support and his humor and quick wit to deliver an exceptional discussion. Jack also attended this event and a lively frank discussion ensued regarding where pinball has been and where (he and LTG believes) it is going in the future. You can't put a price on the value of learning by standing on the shoulders of the giants who lived through the heyday of coin op and continue to shape and lead the direction of the industry!

As I said, LTG is a badass - and he's got Moxie (Thanks to David Marston) so I guess attending his presentation was worth the mugging I got.
    0170f3b0bdd6b715cdf1a1d0c27fa48fdf56a138d0.jpg

I met so many awesome pinsiders (some in my own backyard) and I cannot wait to connect with you all during this next year.

I'm excited about Pintastic 2016 - and hope that if you missed this inaugural event - you make plans now to attend next year!!

One word for Derek and Gabe - Aces!

0182fe85774db01fb93c0b913aa01e96bf7f22b442.jpg

#1192 4 years ago

Nice Write up, Mike!

Thank you!

Please drop me a call when you are back in Oviedo, so you can drop in!

Had a blast! needed much more time!

Aug 19th and 20th, or earlier...same reasons.
    Congrats on the JM! Eric dials them in Perfect!

#1193 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Nice Write up, Mike!
    Thank you!
    Please drop me a call when you are back in Oviedo, so you can drop in!
    Had a blast! needed much more time!
    Aug 19th and 20th, or earlier...same reasons.
    Congrats on the JM! Eric dials them in Perfect!

You know I will Art! We'll be going over to Dexters for a special with hot lava mustard - my treat! Yum!

I really enjoyed the show and it was rejuvenating! Life is too short not to play!

#1194 4 years ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Nice Write up, Mike! Thank you!

+1! Almost makes me feel as if I were there! Great meeting you Mike and I look forward to working with you again next year!

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:Had a blast! needed much more time!

Art, sorry I missed you at the show and that I didn't take you up on your offer to stop by your place during my brief visit to The Pinball Lounge. Next year I'll find you by following the sounds of laughter!

#1195 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

What's better 19th 20th or 26th 27th of August 2016?
    Were thinking of doing a Thursday after 5pm PITT PASS! Check out the show set up and play some pinball! Any interest?

I'm thinking Aug 19 & 20 are perfect. Right in the post 4th - pre Labor Day sweet spot.

#1196 4 years ago

Hey Mike, it was a 4 of Hearts.

Nice write up, and nice meeting you.

#1197 4 years ago
    Quoted from Daniml:

Next year I'll find you by following the sounds of laughter!

That can be dangerous....depending on the "alcohol" level.....but surely the best part of a show is laughter.
    ......and there was a Ton of things happening, and people for this to happen non stop! (I felt like I was a kid again)

So sorry, we didnt meet. Do visit, and truly anyone who comes to central Florida, my house is always open.

I just booked myself and my wife for the Chicago show...first time, I want to take the New Stern Factory tour.

Southwest, had $49 flights to Chicago from Florida....book early!

#1198 4 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

If you're buying a new game from a vendor, there's no need to wait until next year.
    Don't worry about not being great at pinball, as long as you enjoy it. It's very likely there are lots of people worse than you, and you at least have a lot of potential to get better.
    If you're in Saugus, you're only an hour away from this event. You should be able to find people here or on the Boston Pinball Association list that can help you transport a game, or even sell you one.
    The rules of the show stated that all sold games needed to remain in the Free Play room until the end of the day on which they sold. Some people did a better job following this rule than others.

That's awesome! Seems like a very tight knit community which is great!

#1199 4 years ago
    Quoted from dannunz:

How do you guys think late August would work for vendors making sales? This is one of my big concerns. Some of the vendors at the show did not sell as much as they thought. Why do you think this happened?

One reason for poor sales is that Allentown Pinfest was just 2 months ago. Some of the same vendors would have already been shopped for the year.

To be honest, the biggest draw for me vendor wise is a discount. I'm not big on impulse (though PinGraphix (sp?) stuff was tempting), it's easier to order and have it shipped, and I never have lists ready telling me exactly what I need (or if I do I can never find that). So, the biggest reason I would buy at a show is for a show discount, or to save shipping. I really had hoped someone would have had Titan Competition rings for sale, as I really want to try those out, but they weren't there, and I guess they are not in distribution yet.

Inventory is another issue, vendors can carry out some of the most needed stuff, but even then it's a lot to haul around. I'd rather vendors just come and bring samples, so I can meet them, see the products in person and discuss the products. Then offer a show special ordering period and have the stuff sent to my house after the fact.

I'm not sure how much the show depends on vendors for revenue. I'd say it would be ideal if the show could support itself on ticket/shirt sales, and the vendors should get a pretty good deal just to show up. Sponsorship is different, that's basically advertising, so a sponser is buying exposure.

#1200 4 years ago
    Quoted from heckheck:

One reason for poor sales is that Allentown Pinfest was just 2 months ago. Some of the same vendors would have already been shopped for the year.
    To be honest, the biggest draw for me vendor wise is a discount. I'm not big on impulse (though PinGraphix (sp?) stuff was tempting), it's easier to order and have it shipped, and I never have lists ready telling me exactly what I need (or if I do I can never find that). So, the biggest reason I would buy at a show is for a show discount, or to save shipping. I really had hoped someone would have had Titan Competition rings for sale, as I really want to try those out, but they weren't there, and I guess they are not in distribution yet.
    Inventory is another issue, vendors can carry out some of the most needed stuff, but even then it's a lot to haul around. I'd rather vendors just come and bring samples, so I can meet them, see the products in person and discuss the products. Then offer a show special ordering period and have the stuff sent to my house after the fact.
    I'm not sure how much the show depends on vendors for revenue. I'd say it would be ideal if the show could support itself on ticket/shirt sales, and the vendors should get a pretty good deal just to show up. Sponsorship is different, that's basically advertising, so a sponser is buying exposure.

Pintastic would not be possible with our the money we generate from vendor space. Could not happen.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 7.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 149.00
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 45.00
    $ 349.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 14.00
    $ 87.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.00
    $ 399.95
    $ 159.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 45.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    There are 1302 posts in this topic. You are on page 24 of 27.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside