20170930_175609 (resized).jpg
20170929_080848 (resized).jpg
20170929_084545 (resized).jpg
20170929_165855 (resized).jpg
20170930_102158 (resized).jpg
20170930_095954 (resized).jpg
20170930_102858 (resized).jpg
20170930_104107 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schnollms.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 6 years ago

How come people were so hyped up and posting daily for pinfest and pintastic months prior to the show we're 2.5 months out from York and its got no attention?

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from rmarket:

There are a couple of improvements for this year's show. The show is in a larger building this year. (Memorial West) and there is going to be an indoor flea market area this year.
For those on the mailing list, the flyers will be in the mail very soon.

Am I on the mailing list? I'm not sure if we can make it this year. But if there's an indoor flea market hopefully we'll think about it. Haven't been to the show in years.
-Michael Schnoll

#17 6 years ago

I'd prefer wood rails and coinop over newer games to be honest. But I'm a wedgehead person. Are there a lot of wedgeheads? How many would u say there are out of the 100 or so pins? Haven't been there since the new guys took over. I'm almost 3.5 hours away.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Im 5-1/2 hours away and there were lots of Wedgehead pins including my Pinup
You asked about. It wasn't FS officially but cash is king. :wink:JR got his Skyline there and a lot if us brought Gottlieb EMs. Less DMD and loud annoying talking pins more classics and wood rails. One thing these shows can do is to connect seller & buyer. I prebought a Kings & Queens last year at York. I prebought a Flipper Cowboy and an Ice Show in Allentown, got my Subway at Pintastic. The trans "deal breakers "
can sometimes be worked out with delivery to a show . But I always support the show I bring free play pins all the time.

Thanks for the info. We mainly deal with EMs (particularly wedgeheads as u can see from my Collection page). So if it's at least 60% wedgeheads than it may be worth the long drive. Would you say the wedgehead prices are better at York than Allentown? No longer interested in the pinup by the way, I got top card instead.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from ryansherwood:

I really don't think it'll be 60% wedge heads. Last year I would say maybe 20% wedge heads? maybe 40-50 % EM's if you include wobdrails and bingos of which there were and probably will be plenty. They usually dedicate a whole row to bingos.

Yikes!! I thought there were a lot of wedgheads at York. Lol.

#50 6 years ago

Just got my registration form. Hopefully I can attend.

IMG_7247 (resized).JPGIMG_7247 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#149 6 years ago
Quoted from Phillips88:

Registered 4 Gottlieb wedgheads

what are they

2 weeks later
#318 6 years ago

I agree that parking lot deals shouldn't be happening at a pinball show. Of course u have the "right" to sell your items when and where, but like Skip said Rich and Ivan put months into there shows. Once one show ends, planning for the next already starts. Can't say how many times at Allentown by as early as Thursday night there's pins labled "sold." I think everyone here is guilty a little bit and bringing one prepaid pin is the max in my opinion. Bringing 5+ pins presold takes away from the people paying $15+ to enter. There's no annual pinball show if things are sold before the show even starts. Shows are meant to help grow the hobby and offer folks that you've never met a chance to play and purchase ur machines.

#373 6 years ago

Where is the google docs URL for the spreadsheet. Anyone bringing quality wedgheads?

#384 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Here we go....

Umm ok...

#426 6 years ago

No one really answered my question from a few days ago. Is anyone asides from Dave and Pinphilla brining good quality wedgeheads? Also can someone post the link for the google docs spreadsheet.
Thanks.

#458 6 years ago

Rich, how many indoor flea market spots are left? When is the registration deadline?

#462 6 years ago
Quoted from too-many-pins:

I just talked to Rich via PM a few minutes ago and he said he does still have a couple indoor spaces still not reserved. On the website I think the deadline without paying an extra $15 (late fee) is about a week before the show. After talking to him I wouldn't wait much longer if you are interested but if you are in the same boat as I am I fully understand having to wait.
Rich will likely reply shortly.

Yeah I MIGHT be interested in POSSIBLY splitting a booth with some friends like we do at Allentown but it is a 3 hour 15 min drive each way. If we do it it'll have to be a last minute decision because of personal obligations during this time of year. I've never sold at York before and haven't been there as a spectator since 2009.

#515 6 years ago

I am finally "tossing the towel in" as far as being able to make it to the show to set up. This morning I went to storage to grab a back door from a "parts machine" a guys wants to pick up at the show and was going to send it to the show with my buddy Jim in case I didn't make it to the show. Thinking I knew exactly where the head was I figured no big deal. I get to storage and move 4 machines to get the key for the backbox out of my box with keys in it and then discover key wouldn't work.
After a closer look I realized I was trying to get the back door off the wrong head (both heads were painted black and one of the reasons the two machines are parts machines)!. It ends up body of machine is in one storage unit, keys in another storage unit and head in a third storage unit behind 6 other machines and 8 other heads. Almost two hours later I finally got the back door into my van.
After this process I realized every machine I would be taking to the show was going to be the same fight - heads one place, bodies somewhere else, legs buried behind other stuff and leg bolts, keys, etc still somewhere else. Without having the use of my trailer to "stage stuff" until Sunday AM at the soonest there is just no way I can get this mess sorted out and ready for the show so I give up! Maybe next year!

Hopefully you'll have it all straightened out for Allentown!

#544 6 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

York is still one week away. Allentown is over 7 months away....

And trust me... those 7 months will fly by so fast. It's been almost 5 months and it feels like it was yesterday. I'm making a bet that the 2018 Allentown thread will be up and going within a month after York.

#661 6 years ago

Unfortunately guys, we can't make it this year. Since we haven't been there since 2009 I was looking forward to going but we have too many events going on this weekend.
Hope the show goes great and I hope to see everyone at Allentown next May.

#750 6 years ago

The show looks great so far. Wish I was there!

#782 6 years ago

Every picture I look at makes me more upset setting up at the show just wasn't "in the cards" for me this year.

Trust me I feel for u.

#830 6 years ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

I had to grab that Cleopatra, he had 4 of them, all system 1's. This one was definitely the nicest of the bunch, It is in amazing shape, it still had the brown contct paper on the side rails, inside looked like new, even the plywood under the cabinet looks like it was never touched, the purple on the cabinet looks like new.
I can't say that for most of the others he had, and there were alot of them but most needed some TLC, but many people are looking for project pins.

Is that Jeff moorehead's booth?

#858 6 years ago

How many booths were there in the indoor and outdoor flea markets? Would u say that the indoor flea was equivalent to Allentown?

#904 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Allentown is the next stop. Man wish someone did a show in late November.

Same. I miss that small show ivan did at merchants square. I would certainly get a booth if he did. Hopefully he reads this post.

#910 6 years ago

Maybe even a November Show in the smaller side of Allentown Building? I was talking to Ivan about running out of room at the Spring Show - maybe a second smaller show just before the Holidays would be the answer for continued growth in the Allentown area.

Exactly! I was also thinking that too. A show in the annex portion of the agriplex with just 100 or so pins and a small indoor vendor/flea market section would be perfect for that time of year. We're only a month to 1.5 months from when it would be so hopefully he takes this into consideration. I'd definitely bring games and get a booth.

#921 6 years ago
Quoted from gpa_joe:

FYI. Ivan never did a show at Merchants Square it was Brian and Denise H. Then they moved the show to the fairgrounds and Ivan eventually took over.

No, as jr said Brian did the merchants square show before moving it to the fairgrounds. Ivan did one there in 2009 and 2010 in the fall.

#930 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I didn't say anything except that Ivan definitely did a fall show at Merchant's Square. That was after the Pinball Wizards Convention (by the Heins) was already established at the fairgrounds location.

Lol jr that's exactly what I said. I'm in agreement.

#971 6 years ago

Rich,
PLEASE consider $20 door fee to try to keep things in the new hall. 100% of the people I have talked to think the increase would be well worth it to stay in that bigger building. Being honest I didn't talk to hundreds of people but I did talk to at least a few dozen and all thought new hall was great and would love to see the show stay in the bigger building. Also everyone I talked to thought is would be fine upping the door fee to $20.
Most of them said basically the same thing - "if $5 is going to keep them from coming in they will not be spending much money here anyway". With that said you likely already realize most people I talked to had stuff for sale at the show - either machines or in spaces.
If show is in the bigger hall again next year you will have a better handle on the layout and I am sure more people (including myself) will step up to make the show even bigger & better. I am still upset I couldn't set up this year but you know I'll do all I can to help you in any way possible.
THANKS for another GREAT SHOW! And no rain for the first time since you took it over likely because no one was set up outside? Crazy how things turn out isn't it!

In my personal opinion, yes, I don't think an extra $5 will turn away any regulars or people interested. But at the same time (something I may disagree with u on), I don't think it's necessary to raise any costs just to keep the show in a certain building. At the end of the day, it's still a building. UNLESS the flea market and or free play area will grow in the new building, I think the show should be in the old hall to keep the costs adjusted. All in all, unless the attendance gets higher next year, I don't think a $5 increase should be needed to keep it in the same building.

#1001 6 years ago

Allentown is $20 for 60,000 sq ft and York is $15 for 30,000. Unless York becomes quivalent to Allentown i think the door fee should go up. Although $20 is typical for most shows, York is a lot smaller and sparse. Would I go for $20? Of course. But it doesn't sound like a deal for most people. For the current square footage, quality of games and dealers, and quantity of games and vendors, I see charging $17 on Friday and $15 Saturday. IF the show grows, I can see charging $20 Friday and $17 Saturday.
Now, something I can definitely have a suggestion on is that the hours should be justified. Make it 12-9 or 10 on Friday (with 9-12 setup) and 9-4 on Saturday.

#1007 6 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

Another possible way for Rich to offset the cost is if we the public doubled or tripled his T-shirt sales ? I liked the old hall and the outdoor flea. I also liked the tailgating but after seeing the fire in 2016 the Fairgrounds committee had every right to squelch the flea cookouts . Sturbridge has Thursday night reduced entree fee , this may add revenue. Me thinks with the later setup and thank you pizza there would be a conflict .

True

#1096 6 years ago

York & Allentown are two very different shows. I think your assessment of York is very harsh to say the least. Yes Allentown is twice the size and has a lot more DMD pins & vendors but York is a great show in its own way. No where else in the world will you find a row of Bingo machines to play at a show, York had over 180 machines in freeplay (about 75% as many as Allentown) and that doesn't include the dozen or more new machines for sale by vendors that were on freeplay also.
York doesn't get as many vendors because the Chicago Show is less than two weeks after York and most vendors doing Chicago can't make it to York. But there was still a decent selection of parts at York.
Anyway - if you were not happy then do like you said and don't come back. But to bash a show because it isn't the size of another show isn't fair to anyone.

Quoted from jrpinball:

I drove twice that distance, brought a game, and had a blast. Sorry you didn't think it was worth it, but I think saying it was "horrendous" is a bit excessive.
The Bath Fitters and other vendors didn't bother me. If they helped to offset the costs of running the show, I think that's good business.
Not all shows are as big and flashy as Pinfest has become. I enjoy the York show for what it is.

Everyone is entitled to their OWN opinion, regardless of yours. I understand that York is a great show for many, just like Allentown and Pintastic. But unfortunately there are still some people who dislike these shows and they have to be respected and not shunned just cuz the show didn't match their criteria. For example, I'm a huge Allentown fan. Before u know it I'm sure that thread will start up. I know people who don't like that show for whatever reason but I'm not going to make a big thing about it. However I'm not a pintastic fan, unlike many. The idea and concept of the show just isn't for me, even though I know it's a great event but I'm still respectful about it. To be completely honest I don't have the time to sit here and play middle man or mediator but for the sake of this hobby I will say that if someone has something to say on this forum that doesn't meet ur criteria, whether they're right or wrong, RESPECT what they have to say.

#1100 6 years ago

Knowing what it takes to put one of these shows together I just don't think it is "fair" to all the people who make a show happen for someone - especially someone totally new to posting - to outright bash a show because it didn't meet their expectations. I happen to like Chevy Vans and will never own a Ford or Dodge - when someone asks me why I drive a Chevy I politely explain what I like about my Chevy over their Ford. I don't say "Fords Suck" I just tell them why I prefer my Chevy.
When a guy starts out like this:
"I have been reading a lot of these posts and I can honestly tell you that I must have been at the wrong place! I'm not posting anything to bash or insult, but I can truly tell you that I thought this years show in York was absolutely horrendous! I attended Pinfest in Allentown and was absolutely blown away by the number of pins that were there. I would say in York, there were a maximum 125 pins and playable games. I would guess well over half were EM pins. I came down looking for LEDs and think I saw two vendors that had bulbs. No one of which I was looking for. I will say there were a couple of vendors that had some solid products, but for the most part I really didn't see anything of interest down there."
-- it is very obvious that this show wasn't for him but to just rip into a show because it didn't meet his expectations because there were not enough vendors or DMD machines for his liking just isn't fair to all involved in the hard work of making a show happen.
If he would have said something like "I expected York to be more like Allentown and I was disappointed there were not more vendors selling new parts and the count on SS & DMD machines was less than I was expecting after attending other shows" it wouldn't have struck a nerve with me. But to call a show "horrendous" just because he was unhappy with the game selection just doesn't seem fair.
In any event - to each his own - but I just wish people would realize York is not trying to be Allentown. It is and will likely always be a smaller show partly because that is the way Rich wants it and partly because it is so close to the dates of Chicago and so many vendors can't do both shows.
Ivan does a great job with Allentown (I doubt many people will say otherwise) but he has the advantage of that being a Spring Show that was much better established when he took it over and he took a great foundation and made it more than double the size in just a few short years. I like both shows but they are two different "animals" and it just isn't "fair" to compare one to the other for various reasons.

Skip,
I understand ur point and all but I don't think he was intending to "bash" the show. Let's face it, the show just didn't meet his criteria and he was disappointed about it. That's all. Just like how (with all due respect to gabe who is a great guy) Pintastic doesn't meet my show criteria. He's new to pinside and to York and didn't know what to expect. It happens. And believe me, I REALLY appreciate all of the dedication you have towards this show and trying to make it better but I don't think he was I intending to "bash."

#1117 6 years ago

Is there a difference between the east and west halls? Haven't been to York since '09 when it was in horticulture. I really hope to make it next year.

#1127 6 years ago
Quoted from EMPins:

Not to compare shows but Allentown once upon a time had the biggest and best outside flea market. A major draw to the show. With vendors from all over. From the east coast to Ohio to guys from As far west as Missouri set up.
York stepped in with a nice outside flea market. Places to sit and socialize.
I’m not sure how but I sure would love to see York retrn the flea market to the glory it was for the east coast pinball shows.
Invite all the missing Allentown vendorsnto come set up that disapearded. Like Norm from Missouri, Pacak from Ohio. Phoebe from Ohio, the guys from Illinois again, get Lloyd from coin op warehouse to get a space again. Get tnt to bring a truck, guys from New York.

Asides from a few midwestern guys I believe that the Allentown flea market is still the best flea market out of the 3 major shows in the region. It seems to be stronger than ever. TNT hasn't set up in years and I think Todd is just too busy. He only stays for a few hours.

#1128 6 years ago

I know u created a mini thread earlier but please use the official one below (which has been up for months) just so we can have all of these great ideas on one page. Can't wait till may!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2018-allentown

#1130 6 years ago

But next up is Allentown so it is time to start getting the buzz going about Allentown (under 7 months away and counting).

I know that u created a mini thread earlier but please use the one titled "Pinfest 2018 Allentown" that has already been created months ago; just so we have all of everyones input and thoughts in place. Cant wait till May!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 98.99
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider schnollms.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/york-show-news-future-white-rose-gameroomyork-show-2017-edition?tu=schnollms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.