(Topic ID: 203962)

YOPP (Yopp's Overhead Pinball Projection System) how to video.

By dyopp21

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EAF88DC8-5449-4968-B9E5-15FBD8771AB6 (resized).jpeg
    E1DBCB09-E979-472E-BB70-2308045C64E5 (resized).jpeg
    50B55127-6ECD-46ED-BA7D-0A66F65EBAAB (resized).jpeg
    3m strips (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dyopp21.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Here is the video as promised. I put links to the components in the video description.
    A couple of things to note:
    First, sorry about my froggy voice and being forgetful. I'm coming down with a cold and I'm hopped up on Nyquil and beer in the video.
    Second- I start the video with just some simple video of the different playfields being projected (a few while being played), zooming in on each. Please watch that portion to see what different playfields (modern vs classic) look like on the system.
    Third, The price I give for the conversion box is what I paid for it (Around $90), but it HAS COME DOWN! And right now, it's even on sale at $42. Snatch them up at that price!

Hope everyone gets some good info out of the video, and remember if you use this system at your arcade, please share pics and videos of it in this thread. Would love to see what others come up with!

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

The camera mount screwed directly into the backbox? Eep

I take the time to show people how to set up a gallery monitor system, and THAT's what you took away from it? Aight...
    Anyway, a screw hole doesn't bother me at all, as I have never gotten on a ladder to see if there are any screw holes in the top of a backbox when purchasing a machine, or when visiting an arcade. Like I said in the video, it ain't for everybody. And you can always come up with a different mounting solution.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

The difference between an operator and a "there's a footprint on the bottom of my cabinet" collector, folks.

Yup. I put a lot of time into restoring these machines (some say too much for a machine going out for public play). I don't mind replacing inserts or fixing graphics on the playfield to make them look and play as good as I can get them, but at the end of the day they are still going out to be enjoyed by the public (and make me a few dollars). As long as the cabinet is structurally sound, I don't even repaint them or touch them up. Every scratch and scar on that machine is evidence of it's past use in an arcade somewhere.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

At tournaments, I usually see cameras on free-standing mounts or a frame to avoid putting extra holes in a game.
    Personally, I just don't like making modifications to games that aren't easily reversible.
    But, I realize an operator will treat games differently than a collector.

Duly noted, and I really hope this doesn't become a whole discussion about "to screw hole or not to screw hole" (which as I'm quickly discovering is the M.O. of Pinside), the idea I'm trying to put forth is something that has helped foster competitive play at my arcade. That's what this is about. If you are collector and never want to modify your pin with a couple of screw holes in the top of your cabinet, hey, that's cool. But this is not at an expo type tournament setup, it's a permanent solution.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Great job David, all your games look great especially that Skateball

Thanks Ron! I got it at a great deal from a respectable seller.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

dyopp21 can you provide some info on the displays you are using? Brand, Size?
    Thanks

Sure! They are the cheapest 32” Visio 720P you can buy at Sam’s ($144). My local Sam’s always has a bunch of them in the bin. Don’t know the model number off hand, sorry.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

My only worry with this mount is are the playfields shaking the whole time on the displays due to the nudging from the players?
    Amazing setup by the way. I know this takes tons of work.

Sometimes you WILL get some vibration in the image if the player is gunching the shit out of the machine. But it’s pretty minimal. Not bothersome at all.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Anyone know if there is a way to combine HDMI outputs to USB, or just go straight from TVI or USB? Thinking of tournament streaming options and if there are any. Not having to buy tripods or build a behind the backbox arm pretty much pays for the overhead view of each game you do.

If you can figure out a way to convert the cam signal (TVI etc) this would be easy to pull a feed. The box has a pass through for the original signal (you can see it in the video).

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

Thanks. It's hard to gauge the size in the video. I was worried 32 would be too small.

I’ve found 32” to be perfect for our space. Keep in mind that by the time you’re down to the last few in the tournament and you’ve got 20 or so people standing back at the bar watching the final match, they usually know the machine and they don’t need to see every detail. They just need to be able to track the ball and watch the score. It makes for some exciting finishes to our Friday Night tourneys.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

If you were to increase the quality or components of anything in your rig, what would it be?

The only thing you could really “improve” would be the TV resolution and/or size, but unless the space is just huge, the tradeoff isn’t worth the cost. It’s a 1080P signal going into a 720P TV currently, so there is some loss there.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from Driz1847:

Have you thought about live-streaming your tournaments in the future? I would enjoy watching that.

We are in a small town with no good high speed internet access. Don’t think we have the bandwidth for a decent stream.

#34 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

No more screw holes.

Hahahaah! Nice! As long as it don’t let loose and you’ve got a camera crashing down on your PF glass.

#38 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Thanks for posting this dyopp21, your setup in awesome. I didn't get to play in the Nashville tourney but all of the games looked great when I walked through and checked them out.

Thanks Mr. Gentry! And if I was rude at any point during that weekend, allow me to apologize! I know I can go trailing off in the middle of a conversation during those times. I get really scatterbrained when I’m trying to get ready to run a large tournament and trying to follow my thoughts is like trying to read graffiti on a passing train. If that makes any sense.

#42 6 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you mean nudging the shit out of the machine. As I understand gunching is the contortions a player makes while playing, while nudging is done to the physical machine to move it and affect the ball. I know, semantics, but since you used the word.... great word by the way!

It’s kinda vague: here are two examples, one taken from Roger Sharpe’s 1977 book “Pinball!” and the other from the web. It seems it can mean “nudging” as well. At the arcade when someone yells “GUNCH IT!” Everybody takes that to mean “get rough with it.” It just sounds that way, ya know?50B55127-6ECD-46ED-BA7D-0A66F65EBAAB (resized).jpeg50B55127-6ECD-46ED-BA7D-0A66F65EBAAB (resized).jpeg
    E1DBCB09-E979-472E-BB70-2308045C64E5 (resized).jpegE1DBCB09-E979-472E-BB70-2308045C64E5 (resized).jpeg

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from Tsskinne:

Yes Thanks for sharing as I've shown my location a picture of your setup and they have been asking me to do this.
    How are you mounting the TV's to the wall?

$20 cheapo mounts from Amazon, then just mount the TV to them in the portrait mode (VESA mount for a smaller tv has the mount holes in a square pattern so you can mount it in whatever orientation you desire). You can even find mounts that come with a 10 foot HDMI cable. Two birds, one stone.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from desertT1:

Pretty much, that’s what would be needed, but that price... ouch.

$129? Damn! What’s it made out of, printer ink?

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from nikpinball:

When you find the link to the camera please post.

Camera link is in description of vid on YouTube.

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

quick question on the monitor >>
    do I need to look for anything special to be able to both mount and display in this vertical orientation?
    no sams club card here so I will be examining options.

I think as long as it’s VESA compliant it’ll be fine.

Quoted from rufessor:

Thanks for sharing this- thats an awesome setup and I would very much enjoy playing at that location!

Quoted from solarvalue:

Your arcade looks so fun, I'd love to go one day.

Thanks! We’re just getting started! Got a few things in the works so I hope to keep improving for years to come.

#62 6 years ago

This is great. It’ll make me proud if others start using my setup. Always nice to be able to contribute something positive to our wonderful hobby.

#63 6 years ago

Had to come to Sam’s today. Surprise! The TV’s I used are on sale right now. EAF88DC8-5449-4968-B9E5-15FBD8771AB6 (resized).jpegEAF88DC8-5449-4968-B9E5-15FBD8771AB6 (resized).jpeg

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

heads up for anyone else ordering parts. I am trying to get things working and it appears >>>
    You are going to need a male to male BNC connector in order to connect your camera into your converter box
    amazon.com link »
    Also worth note that the camera Yopp linked does not appear to come with a mounting plate or a power supply. That means you have to get a bit creative with the mounting ideas and also need to get a power supply (appears to need 12v 700ma)

Thanks for bringing the cable and power supply up. I should've mentioned it. I ordered the cables and power supply in bulk so I kind of forgot about those. As far as mounting, I didn't need anything other than what came in the box and a few wood screw to mount the camera directly to the bottom of the plank.

2 weeks later
    #66 6 years ago

So has anyone set up a rig yet? Would love to see images of what you came up with!

1 year later
    #71 5 years ago

Been a little over a year since I posted this and, while I can't say any of it was a direct result of my system setup or the how-to video in any way, I've been happy to see more and more pictures of public arcades with gallery monitors mounted over entire banks of pins. I just hope that others have discovered the simple joy of having the monitors there during tournament play.

Yopp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dyopp21.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yopp-yopps-overhead-pinball-projection-system-how-to-video?tu=dyopp21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.