(Topic ID: 143663)

Yikes! WOZ fried. Lots of smoke. Where do I start?

By TimeBandit

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tonycip
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CD2763C6-78F4-448C-BB4D-B79A1E770D0F (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 10.42.40 AM (resized).png
803A3171-24BD-419B-A2E6-3B2499C6A643 (resized).jpeg
20200712_175602 (resized).jpg
20200712_163233 (resized).jpg
20200712_155403 (resized).jpg
20200712_162310 (resized).jpg
B05838F3-E002-4C8B-9F63-D1F23B1D87B2 (resized).jpeg
Popcorn_132_(resized).JPG
Ludacris_(resized).jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sadsack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#30 8 years ago

Thankfully the unit has a UL certification. Therefore, there was never any risk.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

What about the risk of smoke inhalation

Sarcasm doesn't come across very well on the internet. Neither mine, nor your's.

#102 8 years ago

Whaat you all have identified is what us engineers know as a "dirty litle secret". Now that it has seen the light of day, it will be interesting to see JJP's reaction. They will either be proactive, or deny it's a problem until the insurance company goes after them. Perhaps the board is contained enough that there will never be a fire claim. I guess that's the best case for all parties.

BTW, what does that replacement board cost if you just want to order one?

1 week later
#203 8 years ago

"We know every serial number that has" the problem, but we aren't bothering to take care of them until they make noise.

#232 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

They had me check for a stacked capacitor. Mine had it.

20151119_170247.jpg

I wonder if that is related to the problem or only indicative of the production lot. It seems the extensive record-keeping might have experienced a glitch in the case of these boards.

#244 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

One of the great eye opening moments as a student computer engineer is when you struggle to make systems that work as just a few megahertz.. and you see just how much precision is needed. Then you realize in the 'real world'... people were already making things running at 10-100x the speed you were learning on.. meaning things were 10-100x more senstive, etc. It's humbling. Now we are speeds 1000x faster and higher..

Serious question: How does higher and higher frequencies impact the engineering challenges other than in the parts that are specified or designed? Once you cross the visible/audio frequencies, isn't it all beyond direct human observation?

I guess from a technical standpoint, I don't understand your "humbling" description.

#248 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Nothing in computer engineering is done at direct human observation Its all way too fast and small.
I'll give you a really simple example of the difficulty behind something that seems simple at first. A button press. You press a button and expect to see it triggered as 'on'. Then you look at it electrically, and find that your single press was really seen as a thousand presses.. and depending on when you 'looked' at the signal, its completely unpredictable. Because at the micro level, the switch contacts actually BOUNCE. So for you to determine if something was pressed once or more than once, you have to design logic that can determine how to sample and look at something at more than one instantaneous moment. Physical to logical constructs like this happen all over the place.
The specific example I was referring to with the earlier comment was about digital data buses... When something happens.. a signal goes 'high'. Everyone has heard the description that computers just work on 0s and 1s. But in reality... To become a 1 means a signal ramps up to a voltage stays there long enough to be sampled and 'seen'. For you to realize it went high and say you saw a '1', you need to ignore all the noise, and realize the signal was above a threshold for a certain amount of time. And you do that synchronized to a clock. To make that happen, means you have to work within time constraints and sensitivity levels. You find it very difficult to get everything 'done' within your time and how to dial in the sensitivity to differentiate between noise and the true signal. You get all that working... you feel accomplished. Then you realize all your constraints you struggled to stay within... now you have to do it in 1/100th the time, and within 5x more signal sensitivity. It's like doing what you thought was barely possible.. then finding out someone just worked out how to do it 50x better.. and you realize the gains come from insane SQUEEZING of smaller and smaller windows of time and differences.
You see how people came up with 'Pumping' like DDR and Quad pumping to get 2x or 4x the data throughput by setting data not just during your 'stable' sampling time... but during the transitions too! So everything that was hard, just got 4x harder.. etc. It's like being told 'ok, you need to grab this knife being thrown in mid air'. You finally learn to do it and are like 'that's nuts!!'.. then they say.. 'now you need to grab the knife, and three other knives all in the same action.. and we just dimmed the lights 50%'.
In today's world of high level languages... most people have no idea of any of this and everything is just about memory and compute power. Someone has already done all the hard work and abstracted it from them. But then they don't understand why the hardware guy throws a fit when they try to use the system in an environment it wasn't spec'd for
And anyone who actually does antenna design or things like satelite power transmission... just bow to them... that shit is just insane.

A sincere thank you for your comment. I guess I'm still missing your point. Obviously an aborigine would bow to a cable guy who showed him a smart phone for the first time. But aren't the crazy technologies you are justifiably impressed with simply another application of cutting edge semi-conductor technology? You obviously have a technical background that exposes you to these advanced technologies to which you refer and I have a tendency to over-simplfy every complex system of which I am aware.

I once told a micro-controller programmer I knew that I didn't understand what the big deal with programming was: You get a little input, you process the input and then you give a little output.

Even though this is a gross oversimplification of almost anything practical, the process is simply assembling and organizing constructs of existing technologies to acheive some goal. Now while I agree that the inventors of the technologies to which you refer are the ones to be humbled by, I have found that most engineers implementing known and documented technologies and components are mostly just specialized students of very specific technologies that any reasonably gifted engineer could pick right up on given the task. Perhaps I am confusing the people to which your comments refer.

I learned a long time ago that when anyone over-complicates an area of expertise, it generally becomes more of a psychological play than a scientific one.

I must admit that I really have know idea how these powersupply boards work, but I can smell bullshit a mile away when it comes to a component failure this extreme. A proper failure mode and effect analysis (FMEA) walk through is needed on this board. Perhaps SMT is inappropriate for a power supply used in this fashion. I'm pretty happy whenever I get to work on a 35 YO monitor chassis with the large, hand-drawn traces on only one side of the board. If the relatively giant solder blobs on those things are cracking, it makes you wonder how those thousands of tiny solder joints are holding up after just a few years.

Has the coil been under-specced or produced out of spec, or is the coil failing because of ancilliary components in its circuit? Perhaps one of the SMT components is borderline and heat cycling to cause a mechanical failure of the surface solder and in-turn is asking the coil to do something it was never specced to do. My suspicion is that the coil is a symptom and the design is the disease. This may all comes down to one of those "dirty little engineering secrets" that may never see the light of day. In the end what really matters is JJP's response to the problem and I think the jury is still out on that. I'd say things are looking pretty good right now, but there were a few warning signs early on.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9,800.00
Pinball Machine
Pixels Arcade Games

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Maria, CA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

11,300 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Spokane Valley, WA
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 91.00
$ 5.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sadsack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yikes-woz-fried-lots-of-smoke-where-do-i-start?tu=sadsack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.