(Topic ID: 143663)

Yikes! WOZ fried. Lots of smoke. Where do I start?

By TimeBandit

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 344 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by tonycip
  • Topic is favorited by 25 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CD2763C6-78F4-448C-BB4D-B79A1E770D0F (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 10.42.40 AM (resized).png
803A3171-24BD-419B-A2E6-3B2499C6A643 (resized).jpeg
20200712_175602 (resized).jpg
20200712_163233 (resized).jpg
20200712_155403 (resized).jpg
20200712_162310 (resized).jpg
B05838F3-E002-4C8B-9F63-D1F23B1D87B2 (resized).jpeg
Popcorn_132_(resized).JPG
Ludacris_(resized).jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
1.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#20 8 years ago

Herg, good observation. There is a cap in parallel to R91. Actually, this reminds me of the similar failure that movie theater in SD saw back in May...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/does-anyone-know-about-the-wozle-that-supposedly-burned-in-s-dakota#post-2462239

Looking at the photo Lloyd posted, it's clearly the exact same problem. Failure of Q20 and the choke coil. And once more, R88 has gone open by melting itself off the pads. I wonder if it's part of a feedback circuit for Q20. Maybe this caused Q20 to overheat, short, and fry the choke? However, it doesn't appear that R91 has a cap in the operator's photo.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

#23 8 years ago

Does JJP have an approximate date range for this failure?

#29 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Just to be clear, the note about R91 is unrelated as far as I know. Frank sent me that pic to show me where to check for the piggyback cap while troubleshooting lamps. It just happened that the board in his pic had overheated.

I know, but it's good to observe as many details as possible. Now we know R91 is most likely not a factor. Do you know if lamps use part of the 12v circuit to operate?

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballkyle:

Happened to mine. Common problem for the older multi-ps. JJP should send you a new revision. Once installed you are golden.

Do you know if this affects all power supplies prior to the new design?

#38 8 years ago

For reference...

Old: 15-0015-00,REV3 11/5/2013
New: 15-0015-00,REV2 3/10/2015

That's quite a large time span. Here's another case that happened just 3 months ago.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/woz-burning-smell-inductor-coil-very-hot-help-please

Does anyone have a scan or photo of pages D142 and D143 of the print manual? I would like to know what is causing this and what to look for if you have a REV3 Unified Power Source Board.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Just took a pic of mine. Should I be concerned?

image.jpeg image_1.jpeg

What is your manufacture date?

#43 8 years ago

I know it was yours, summarizing dates. The D section doesn't go beyond around page 70 in the PDF copy I found on their support site. Am I missing something?

#45 8 years ago

Thanks. I thought I read somewhere that schematics were only available in the print version.

#47 8 years ago

I read somewhere you have to have a bad board, but I'm sure that's negotiable if you can confirm you have a problematic version.

#53 8 years ago

I would say you're fine. See if you can peel the number label off the part label and see what revision your board is.

#56 8 years ago

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe they are falling back on an old design?

#65 8 years ago

If that's true, why does this section of the board appear to be 12v?

#74 8 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

It is very possible that the current attract mode light show is too hard on the rating of the power supply if it is part of the LED power circuit.

Sorry Herg, I was actually replying to CactusJack.

#75 8 years ago

I'm sure it's because Jack is too proud of his system. They had no trouble giving us a full color 100+ page illustrated manual.

#80 8 years ago
Quoted from herg:

Yes, they call it the Unified Power Source. I'm not sure how long it was before they started replacing the ATX supply with them, though.

They are using the current source option, but my guess is that the circuit is NOT properly spec'd. I believe the smaller inductor cannot handle peak switching currents at the higher end of the supply's range, it starts warming up, then goes into thermal runaway. There is a 12A fuse on the output that apparently is not blowing, so the surface mount parts flowing off the board are acting as the fuse. If they didn't, I believe the results would be worse than we have seen.
I'm not leaving mine unattended until the issue is resolved. On the bright side, it is contained in a metal box.

Is that a transformer or just a choke? I can't tell if there is a winding underneath or a ceramic insulator.

#85 8 years ago

That's crazy. I would assume since the "newer" inductor we have seen is bigger with more wire it would dissipate more heat.

#97 8 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Mine is the rev3.

Hmm, seems like the larger inductor isn't exclusive to the REV2 boards.

#100 8 years ago

I really wish we could find some info on the original choke.

#110 8 years ago

So now we have to entertain the idea of the inductor failing under normal conditions, regardless of the two switching regulators. On every photo of catastrophic failure I've seen at least one of the regulators as literally fried or exploded. Did the heat from the coil cause this, or vice-versa? I don't fully understand the conditions if one regulator fails, but I would assume it would be working quite a bit overtime to compensate?

#123 8 years ago

Great observation louvnj. L9 is what danisme said in his thread.

Quoted from danisme:

There is an Induction Coil (L9, page D142-143 in the manual) that is very hot.

#135 8 years ago

Now that I think of it during the big LED craze JJP had technicians replace the LED power supplies on some games. If this board powers the new LEDs, maybe the design of the 12v circuit was a bit rushed.

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

When the inductor failed on this one it was pretty spectacular. Took out the mobo, the display board, and monitor.

Are you saying all of these things were destroyed as a result for the failure?? That's incredible! What probably happened was this:

Quoted from herg:

If Q21 fails short, you basically end up with 24V on your 12V output.

#148 8 years ago

Maybe the new boards are backward compatible with 5v. I talked with one of the engineers a year or two back and they replaced the power supplies along with the new boards because IIRC 5v wasn't enough to activate some kind of voltage regulator in the new boards that would prevent failures.

#150 8 years ago

That was the LCD controller which also runs on 12v.

#178 8 years ago

Speak with your wallet! Amend a threat to sell or return your game to the ticket. That should get their attention.

#197 8 years ago

Pretty obvious it's a stock photo.

#213 8 years ago

No need to apologize to Lloyd, he doesn't make the high up managerial decisions in the service dept. He seems to be doing what he can per usual, and that's providing excellent service to JJP's customers.

#221 8 years ago

Good job raising awareness!

#240 8 years ago

This is clearly getting a bit out of hand. How in the world can 80° temps cook a processor or GPU with full heatsinks, with 127° considered perfectly safe to use on a major component with no thermal transfer system? And that's just 10 minutes! What if you have a machine on location that runs for many hours a day, most of the time in attract mode? I'm certainly no electrical engineer, but I fail to see the logic.

4 weeks later
#288 8 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

Its frustrating to have to go around poking people all the time to do there jobs

Keep in mind, Lloyd is a volunteer support rep. For all that JJP has been doing to aggressively resolve the problem he and his crew have been doing an awesome job. I understand you're not referring to him specifically, but I can't help but imagine phones are ringing off the hook at the moment.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 345.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 91.00
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 55.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 16.95
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.50
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
13,000 (OBO)
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider crash.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yikes-woz-fried-lots-of-smoke-where-do-i-start?tu=crash and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.