New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 143663)

Yikes! WOZ fried. Lots of smoke. Where do I start?

By TimeBandit

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 343 posts
  • 83 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 55 days ago by bobzilla
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 51 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

CD2763C6-78F4-448C-BB4D-B79A1E770D0F (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 10.42.40 AM (resized).png
803A3171-24BD-419B-A2E6-3B2499C6A643 (resized).jpeg
20200712_175602 (resized).jpg
20200712_163233 (resized).jpg
20200712_155403 (resized).jpg
20200712_162310 (resized).jpg
B05838F3-E002-4C8B-9F63-D1F23B1D87B2 (resized).jpeg
Popcorn_132_(resized).JPG
Ludacris_(resized).jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
1.jpg

There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

They may have been snowed in and not at work. I am sure UPS is also not delivering much up in the northeast and mid-atlantic.

I never thought of that...forgot all about them getting hammered w/ all that snow.

#302 4 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

They may have been snowed in and not at work. I am sure UPS is also not delivering much up in the northeast and mid-atlantic.

Damn freight mafia....

#303 4 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

That's ludacris, you probably spent atleast $100 sending all those parts back in. Yea thats a small amount to what the game costs but this is not something the customer should have to pay since it was no fault of the customer's and there is obviously a manufacturing defect somewhere.

I got charged for shipping also. I kindly stated in the help ticket to remove the charge. So far, no charge removed. I will be following up in the next few weeks. I think it's absolute bullshit that a customer should have to pay shipping on a part BOTH WAYS for a defective part. Nonsense....

#304 4 years ago

Popcorn_132_(resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#305 4 years ago

Any parts that go bad should be shipped for free by the manufacturer. Lucky JJP has replaced any part I've needed without issue.

#306 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I also have to pay return shipping. This game has had multiple boards replaced too- I asked why I should have to pay shipping, let along pay to ship back defective parts, Frank stated that "It's industry standard to charge shipping when the part failure wasn't a design issue"

Frank is right.

Companies are never on the hook for shipping costs incurred during the warranty period unless specifically stated in the warranty. Quite frankly, most companies either don't budget for these shipping costs and/or can't afford them.

I do agree that your situation is a frustrating one, however.

#307 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Frank is right.
Companies are never on the hook for shipping costs incurred during the warranty period unless specifically stated in the warranty. Quite frankly, most companies either don't budget for these shipping costs and/or can't afford them.
I do agree that your situation is a frustrating one, however.

Not true at all. I deal with anywhere from multi-million dollar companies, to little sh!t ball ones. I have never been charged for having a warrantied part sent to me, and I have been doing it for a very long time. I have paid to have the bad part returned. Paying for returned parts seems to vary from company to company. This is the first time I have ever had a company charge me shipping on a replacement part during the warranty period.

#308 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Not true at all. I deal with anywhere from multi-million dollar companies, to little sh!t ball ones. I have never been charged for having a warrantied part sent to me, and I have been doing it for a very long time. I have paid to have the bad part returned. Paying for returned parts seems to vary from company to company. This is the first time I have ever had a company charge me shipping on a replacement part during the warranty period.

Same here. Especially for parts the company knows damn well were designed wrong from the get go, and only replace when a customer complains. They should ship for free and I paid to ship back bad part, at the least. Paying for both ways is stupid. I like my WOZ and am glad all my boards are replaced now with the newer designed ones, but still.

#309 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Same here. Especially for parts the company knows damn well were designed wrong from the get go, and only replace when a customer complains. They should ship for free and I paid to ship back bad part, at the least. Paying for both ways is stupid. I like my WOZ but I have to admit my opinion of JJP is soured because of this policy. Stern has sent me plenty of parts at no cost, and I don't need to send anything back. That's how it should be, plain and simple.

Agreed, I am not bitter about it but it does paint a picture of where I think JJP is at as a company. I don't need to get into details but those who deal with other companies on a regular basis can pretty much gauge where JJP ranks. It is what it is. To me it's not worth me giving them a hard time/ repeatedly chasing them over $12 if they need that to keep going. I will consider it a donation to the mans dream. But, it does change the way I look I look at them.

#310 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Agreed, I am not bitter about it but it does paint a picture of where I think JJP is at as a company. I don't need to get into details but those who deal with other companies on a regular basis can pretty much gauge where JJP ranks. It is what it is. To me it's not worth me giving them a hard time/ repeatedly chasing them over $12 if they need that to keep going. I will consider it a donation to the mans dream. But, it does change the way I look I look at them.

Agreed 100% with what you said.

#311 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

My W2 board just failed and talked to Frank and they are sending me a new one for $12. I also have to pay return shipping. This game has had multiple boards replaced too- I asked why I should have to pay shipping, let along pay to ship back defective parts, Frank stated that "It's industry standard to charge shipping when the part failure wasn't a design issue"
Huh? This is a common problem and after reading through this it seems the buffer boards were fixes to a design flaw. JJP might have a good rep for customer service, but getting repeatedly charged to ship replacement LED boards for obviously incorrectly engineered and designed LED boards is BS.

Quoted from kpg:

Same here. Especially for parts the company knows damn well were designed wrong from the get go, and only replace when a customer complains. They should ship for free and I paid to ship back bad part, at the least. Paying for both ways is stupid. I like my WOZ but I have to admit my opinion of JJP is soured because of this policy. Stern has sent me plenty of parts at no cost, and I don't need to send anything back. That's how it should be, plain and simple.

I thought I would share my experience.

I've had I think 4 parts shipped to me from JJP and I was never charged for shipping TO me. I did have to pay shipping to return the failed parts. Also I was never charged for the replacement parts, even after the official warranty period (hopefully that continues for the light boards if I have any more issues with them). The single light boards I believe are $12 so maybe they were saying you have to pay for the part if you don't return the old one (I have been told that's their policy) and that's not a shipping charge.

My ECLE had a few issues over the last two years that needed parts from JJP, mostly early on since it was new 2/2014 (2 single light boards, witch opto, power driver board), but support has been great and I have over a 1000 games played and it's still one of my favorites. Been beta testing the new 6.04 software and it makes an already fun game that much better.

I know it can be frustrating as hell when something breaks, but that's just part of the hobby and every game I have has needed something fixed here and there so I just roll with it.

#312 4 years ago

If JJP can only stay in business if everyone pays for warranty part shipping both ways - JUST PAY IT AND QUIT BITCHING.

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If JJP can only stay in business if everyone pays for warranty part shipping both ways - JUST PAY IT AND QUIT BITCHING.

I think the business model to stay in business would be to design better parts with less failure rates, but I digress.

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from danisme:

I thought I would share my experience.
I've had I think 4 parts shipped to me from JJP and I was never charged for shipping TO me. I did have to pay shipping to return the failed parts. Also I was never charged for the replacement parts, even after the official warranty period (hopefully that continues for the light boards if I have any more issues with them). The single light boards I believe are $12 so maybe they were saying you have to pay for the part if you don't return the old one (I have been told that's their policy) and that's not a shipping charge.
My ECLE had a few issues over the last two years that needed parts from JJP, mostly early on since it was new 2/2014 (2 single light boards, witch opto, power driver board), but support has been great and I have over a 1000 games played and it's still one of my favorites. Been beta testing the new 6.04 software and it makes an already fun game that much better.
I know it can be frustrating as hell when something breaks, but that's just part of the hobby and every game I have has needed something fixed here and there so I just roll with it.

I had my power supply board replaced. Only had to pay the return shipping.

I think JJP's support is best in the business.

#315 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I think the business model to stay in business would be to design better parts with less failure rates, but I digress.

Sure, that would be good.

But it's their first game; it will take years to bulletproof all their designs.

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

True, then it would probably best to eat the cost of shipping on faulty designed products if trying to build long term relationships with customers, hoping they buy another machine from you in the future.

#317 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It will take years to just ship out the second game... but I digress

#318 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

the weird thing is there are conflicting stories here- some people are charged, some are not.

Some people don't post the dates when they weren't charged. Charging for shipping started more recently.

LTG : )

#319 4 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

True, then it would probably best to eat the cost of shipping on faulty designed products if trying to build long term relationships with customers, hoping they buy another machine from you in the future.

Once Jack turns a profit, he can always go back to free warranty.

If right now he's hanging by a thread, you can't blame him for charging for warranty work.

#320 4 years ago

I didn't get charged for shipping from JJP and live all the way in New Zealand. I have been nothing but happy with JJP support and can't wait to get my hobbit. In contrast I had a DMD with a line out on my Metallica and had to work with the NZ distributor, there is only one. The 'replacement' they brought was worse than the broken one and that is all they would do. So if I want a new DMD (to replace the bad one that failed under warranty) I have to buy it AND pay for shipping.

Lets just say I am MUCH happier with JJP support even if I have to pay for shipping.

#321 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Once Jack turns a profit, he can always go back to free warranty.
If right now he's hanging by a thread, you can't blame him for charging for warranty work.

I am fine with not getting my $12 back if it means them staying in business. We do have a right to talk about it and attempt to get back what should not have been charged to us in the first place though.

#322 4 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

We do have a right to talk about it and attempt to get back what should not have been charged to us in the first place though.

I hear you.

It sucks paying for warranty work.

#323 4 years ago

Sorta related....

December, 1979 or 1980 when I was working for a route op, we were having lots of the 20 pin Molex connectors burning on the Bally gen 1 Solid State power supply boards. For the circuit board, no problem as those were two 10 pin header connectors IIRC. But, harness connectors were impossible to get. Our official distributor was Empire/Bally Midwest. We were told "Nationwide Backorder". The usual ones who worked around the "protected territory" Cleveland Coin was out as were the mail order guys like Penn-Ray, Great Amusement Emporium and Wico.

On Christmas eve, I phoned a friend at Bally in the parts department and explained my dilemma: I could rig two or three smaller connectors and mark them but knew that could result in a spectacular mistake later on frying everything. I really needed some and knew that Bally had them as they were building harnesses for new games on the line. My friend said he'd see what he could do.

On Christmas morning, at around 10:00 am our doorbell rang. My dad & I answered the door. I kid you not, there was a green Jeep in front of the house and a dude in US Army uniform said Merry Christmas and handed us a small box from Bally Manufacturing Corporation. It was stamped "SPECIAL DELIVERY" and had 20 of the connectors I needed. No invoice, no shipping charge, no nothing. That's service. My friend obviously got them from the harness plant in the building next door and arranged next day shipping when even a young "Federal Express" could not "Priority One" deliver. I still have the box somewhere.

Then again, Bally had lots of money back then. It was flowing.

#324 4 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If $12 shipping is keeping JJP in business, there should be much bigger concerns with future warranty service.

#325 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

If $12 shipping is keeping JJP in business, there should be much bigger concerns with future warranty service.

97% of all new USA companies go out of business in 5 years or less.

We all support new pinball, but at the same time, most of us understand there are substantial risks.

3 years later
#326 8 months ago

Looks like I’ve joined this club. Last night WOZ was on - sitting in attract mode - for about an hour when I began to smell a burning odor.

I came into the room. Playfield lights were on (can’t remember if they were cycling/flashing or not), monitor was off.

Further examination, I found the the power board was fried. :-/

Original owner. July 2014 build.

This thread indicates that JJP knew this was an issue with the original driver design? If true, I wonder if they’ll work with me on this?

B05838F3-E002-4C8B-9F63-D1F23B1D87B2 (resized).jpeg
#327 8 months ago

That sucks!
I have the very same coil (or whatever you call it) and never changed it out when years ago it was first brought to light. I dont keep my game on for long because of this. Interested to know if JJP works with you on this. GL

#328 8 months ago
Quoted from Vyzer2:

That sucks!
I have the very same coil (or whatever you call it) and never changed it out when years ago it was first brought to light. I dont keep my game on for long because of this. Interested to know if JJP works with you on this. GL

Well, based on the $$$ that I had to spend for 2.0, I’m guessing I know the answer. But, we’ll see.

#329 8 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

This thread indicates that JJP knew this was an issue with the original driver design? If true, I wonder if they’ll work with me on this?

Good luck .... I opened a case back in september. Steve asked for a picture that was sent to him and still havnt heard back along with voicemails to steve and jack. And really i didnt care if they worked with me i just wanted to make sure was ordering the right power supply... but now since seeeing this thread again that helps.

#330 8 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Well, based on the $$$ that I had to spend for 2.0, I’m guessing I know the answer. But, we’ll see.

FWIW a buddy of mine had this happen (I think from his description) and he had to pay a relatively reasonable fee for a replacement years ago.

I am guessing you will be lucky to get the same deal. But good luck!

At this point being out even $250-350 for a board is not the end of the world; fast forward 10 years when these are no longer available and you will be in a position where buying a replacement will seem like a pretty good option

2 weeks later
#331 8 months ago

Little update -- the board is costing me around $270-ish shipped (somewhere in that range). I have no idea if this is discounted or not.

Do you guys think the old board is repairable??

1 week later
#332 8 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Little update -- the board is costing me around $270-ish shipped (somewhere in that range). I have no idea if this is discounted or not.

Did they change the specs on the newer boards or is the replacement identical and we should expect it could happen again?

If they changed the component due to a potentially hazardous design, they should've issued a recall, or at least send out the updated component for free.

#333 8 months ago

The new boards do have updated specs. There's information in this thread, but basically it's a larger inductor that doesn't heat up as much.

Quoted from 27dnast:

It looks to me like it could be repaired, but it would be tough to know which parts in the area may have been damaged. It's also tough to install those FETs that have fallen off.

4 months later
#334 3 months ago

Just got my new-to-me extremely well cared for 10/2013 build ECLE setup yesterday and played a few games. Unknown to me at the time, the castle drop target was malfunctioing (firing almost constantly once dropped) which led to a 15 min long high scoring game. After that game it was on in attract mode for ~15 mins before we noticed the strong smell of "bandaid" - not burning electrical but possibly hot wire insulation. Narrowed it down to WOZ and shut it off. Smell was strong enough it eventually smelled the house up. Turned it on later and all still working fine, including the drop target - reseated switch plug it worked normally again. All lights working, plays great, sound, coils, etc all working. This morning I could still smell the bandaid in the game room.
I've checked everything looking for burn damage (esp at drop target) but cannot find anything and after maybe 5 more games all still working though the smell *might* be a bit stronger again. I thought this thread might be what I'm looking for but per my pictures I dont think I have the same setup in the "electrical box" as everyone else. I opened the power supply which is in the back of the cabinet and all looks good there too.
Last observation is that though the inside of the cab and the head smell strongly it's also quite strong from the head speaker panel.
Any ideas?
Many thanks

20200712_155403 (resized).jpg20200712_163233 (resized).jpg20200712_162310 (resized).jpg
#335 3 months ago

I strongly suspect the power supply unit in the second picture that you have circled is correct. I had the fan die in mine and everything worked but I got the burning smell as it wasn't cooling off. Eventually it will burn out as it is not cooling enough.

#336 3 months ago
Quoted from clg:

I strongly suspect the power supply unit in the second picture that you have circled is correct. I had the fan die in mine and everything worked but I got the burning smell as it wasn't cooling off. Eventually it will burn out as it is not cooling enough.

If that is supposed to run all of the time then it's not working. The other fans all run continuously from startup. This one doesn't kick on after 5+ mins w the machine powered on.

#337 3 months ago
Quoted from MLmotorsport:

If that is supposed to run all of the time then it's not working. The other fans all run continuously from startup. This one doesn't kick on after 5+ mins w the machine powered on.

From memory it should run all of the time so that seems to be your problem

#338 3 months ago
Quoted from clg:

From memory it should run all of the time so that seems to be your problem

Wish that was it but I noticed this label. After a full game the fan turned on. Was hoping thatd be the culprit...

20200712_175602 (resized).jpg
#339 3 months ago

Bummer. I know mine didn't have that sticker. I did buy a new one (the whole unit) and it was fine after that.

1 month later
#340 64 days ago

Welp, it looks like mine just went out. I have no idea how to replace these but I sure hope they send me a replacement board at no change. You can see all the smoke in the picture. Any recommendations?

803A3171-24BD-419B-A2E6-3B2499C6A643 (resized).jpeg
#341 58 days ago

Sorry to see that. I ended up having to pay for a new power driver board ($270)... and it turns out the power driver board took out my CPU board to an extent that was unrepairable. So, had to buy a new one (a little over $300).

An expensive incident :-/

#342 58 days ago

Is this area of your board chared?

Screen Shot 2020-08-27 at 10.42.40 AM (resized).png
#343 55 days ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Is this area of your board chared?
[quoted image]

It doesn’t seem like it. Just the coil.

CD2763C6-78F4-448C-BB4D-B79A1E770D0F (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 114.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 343 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside