(Topic ID: 143663)

Yikes! WOZ fried. Lots of smoke. Where do I start?

By TimeBandit

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 325 posts
  • 78 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 43 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Popcorn_132_(resized).JPG
Ludacris_(resized).jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
1.jpg
20151202_011428.jpg
20151202_012500.jpg
20151202_013220.jpg
20151124_171625.jpg
20151124_173759.jpg
20151112_194143.jpg
IMAG0149.jpg
20151119_170247.jpg

There are 325 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

They may have been snowed in and not at work. I am sure UPS is also not delivering much up in the northeast and mid-atlantic.

I never thought of that...forgot all about them getting hammered w/ all that snow.

#302 3 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

They may have been snowed in and not at work. I am sure UPS is also not delivering much up in the northeast and mid-atlantic.

Damn freight mafia....

#303 3 years ago
Quoted from fatality83:

That's ludacris, you probably spent atleast $100 sending all those parts back in. Yea thats a small amount to what the game costs but this is not something the customer should have to pay since it was no fault of the customer's and there is obviously a manufacturing defect somewhere.

I got charged for shipping also. I kindly stated in the help ticket to remove the charge. So far, no charge removed. I will be following up in the next few weeks. I think it's absolute bullshit that a customer should have to pay shipping on a part BOTH WAYS for a defective part. Nonsense....

#304 3 years ago

Popcorn_132_(resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#305 3 years ago

Any parts that go bad should be shipped for free by the manufacturer. Lucky JJP has replaced any part I've needed without issue.

#306 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I also have to pay return shipping. This game has had multiple boards replaced too- I asked why I should have to pay shipping, let along pay to ship back defective parts, Frank stated that "It's industry standard to charge shipping when the part failure wasn't a design issue"

Frank is right.

Companies are never on the hook for shipping costs incurred during the warranty period unless specifically stated in the warranty. Quite frankly, most companies either don't budget for these shipping costs and/or can't afford them.

I do agree that your situation is a frustrating one, however.

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Frank is right.
Companies are never on the hook for shipping costs incurred during the warranty period unless specifically stated in the warranty. Quite frankly, most companies either don't budget for these shipping costs and/or can't afford them.
I do agree that your situation is a frustrating one, however.

Not true at all. I deal with anywhere from multi-million dollar companies, to little sh!t ball ones. I have never been charged for having a warrantied part sent to me, and I have been doing it for a very long time. I have paid to have the bad part returned. Paying for returned parts seems to vary from company to company. This is the first time I have ever had a company charge me shipping on a replacement part during the warranty period.

#308 3 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Not true at all. I deal with anywhere from multi-million dollar companies, to little sh!t ball ones. I have never been charged for having a warrantied part sent to me, and I have been doing it for a very long time. I have paid to have the bad part returned. Paying for returned parts seems to vary from company to company. This is the first time I have ever had a company charge me shipping on a replacement part during the warranty period.

Same here. Especially for parts the company knows damn well were designed wrong from the get go, and only replace when a customer complains. They should ship for free and I paid to ship back bad part, at the least. Paying for both ways is stupid. I like my WOZ and am glad all my boards are replaced now with the newer designed ones, but still.

#309 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Same here. Especially for parts the company knows damn well were designed wrong from the get go, and only replace when a customer complains. They should ship for free and I paid to ship back bad part, at the least. Paying for both ways is stupid. I like my WOZ but I have to admit my opinion of JJP is soured because of this policy. Stern has sent me plenty of parts at no cost, and I don't need to send anything back. That's how it should be, plain and simple.

Agreed, I am not bitter about it but it does paint a picture of where I think JJP is at as a company. I don't need to get into details but those who deal with other companies on a regular basis can pretty much gauge where JJP ranks. It is what it is. To me it's not worth me giving them a hard time/ repeatedly chasing them over $12 if they need that to keep going. I will consider it a donation to the mans dream. But, it does change the way I look I look at them.

#310 3 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

Agreed, I am not bitter about it but it does paint a picture of where I think JJP is at as a company. I don't need to get into details but those who deal with other companies on a regular basis can pretty much gauge where JJP ranks. It is what it is. To me it's not worth me giving them a hard time/ repeatedly chasing them over $12 if they need that to keep going. I will consider it a donation to the mans dream. But, it does change the way I look I look at them.

Agreed 100% with what you said.

#311 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

My W2 board just failed and talked to Frank and they are sending me a new one for $12. I also have to pay return shipping. This game has had multiple boards replaced too- I asked why I should have to pay shipping, let along pay to ship back defective parts, Frank stated that "It's industry standard to charge shipping when the part failure wasn't a design issue"
Huh? This is a common problem and after reading through this it seems the buffer boards were fixes to a design flaw. JJP might have a good rep for customer service, but getting repeatedly charged to ship replacement LED boards for obviously incorrectly engineered and designed LED boards is BS.

Quoted from kpg:

Same here. Especially for parts the company knows damn well were designed wrong from the get go, and only replace when a customer complains. They should ship for free and I paid to ship back bad part, at the least. Paying for both ways is stupid. I like my WOZ but I have to admit my opinion of JJP is soured because of this policy. Stern has sent me plenty of parts at no cost, and I don't need to send anything back. That's how it should be, plain and simple.

I thought I would share my experience.

I've had I think 4 parts shipped to me from JJP and I was never charged for shipping TO me. I did have to pay shipping to return the failed parts. Also I was never charged for the replacement parts, even after the official warranty period (hopefully that continues for the light boards if I have any more issues with them). The single light boards I believe are $12 so maybe they were saying you have to pay for the part if you don't return the old one (I have been told that's their policy) and that's not a shipping charge.

My ECLE had a few issues over the last two years that needed parts from JJP, mostly early on since it was new 2/2014 (2 single light boards, witch opto, power driver board), but support has been great and I have over a 1000 games played and it's still one of my favorites. Been beta testing the new 6.04 software and it makes an already fun game that much better.

I know it can be frustrating as hell when something breaks, but that's just part of the hobby and every game I have has needed something fixed here and there so I just roll with it.

#312 3 years ago

If JJP can only stay in business if everyone pays for warranty part shipping both ways - JUST PAY IT AND QUIT BITCHING.

#313 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If JJP can only stay in business if everyone pays for warranty part shipping both ways - JUST PAY IT AND QUIT BITCHING.

I think the business model to stay in business would be to design better parts with less failure rates, but I digress.

#314 3 years ago
Quoted from danisme:

I thought I would share my experience.
I've had I think 4 parts shipped to me from JJP and I was never charged for shipping TO me. I did have to pay shipping to return the failed parts. Also I was never charged for the replacement parts, even after the official warranty period (hopefully that continues for the light boards if I have any more issues with them). The single light boards I believe are $12 so maybe they were saying you have to pay for the part if you don't return the old one (I have been told that's their policy) and that's not a shipping charge.
My ECLE had a few issues over the last two years that needed parts from JJP, mostly early on since it was new 2/2014 (2 single light boards, witch opto, power driver board), but support has been great and I have over a 1000 games played and it's still one of my favorites. Been beta testing the new 6.04 software and it makes an already fun game that much better.
I know it can be frustrating as hell when something breaks, but that's just part of the hobby and every game I have has needed something fixed here and there so I just roll with it.

I had my power supply board replaced. Only had to pay the return shipping.

I think JJP's support is best in the business.

#315 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I think the business model to stay in business would be to design better parts with less failure rates, but I digress.

Sure, that would be good.

But it's their first game; it will take years to bulletproof all their designs.

#316 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

True, then it would probably best to eat the cost of shipping on faulty designed products if trying to build long term relationships with customers, hoping they buy another machine from you in the future.

#317 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It will take years to just ship out the second game... but I digress

#318 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

the weird thing is there are conflicting stories here- some people are charged, some are not.

Some people don't post the dates when they weren't charged. Charging for shipping started more recently.

LTG : )

#319 3 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

True, then it would probably best to eat the cost of shipping on faulty designed products if trying to build long term relationships with customers, hoping they buy another machine from you in the future.

Once Jack turns a profit, he can always go back to free warranty.

If right now he's hanging by a thread, you can't blame him for charging for warranty work.

#320 3 years ago

I didn't get charged for shipping from JJP and live all the way in New Zealand. I have been nothing but happy with JJP support and can't wait to get my hobbit. In contrast I had a DMD with a line out on my Metallica and had to work with the NZ distributor, there is only one. The 'replacement' they brought was worse than the broken one and that is all they would do. So if I want a new DMD (to replace the bad one that failed under warranty) I have to buy it AND pay for shipping.

Lets just say I am MUCH happier with JJP support even if I have to pay for shipping.

#321 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Once Jack turns a profit, he can always go back to free warranty.
If right now he's hanging by a thread, you can't blame him for charging for warranty work.

I am fine with not getting my $12 back if it means them staying in business. We do have a right to talk about it and attempt to get back what should not have been charged to us in the first place though.

#322 3 years ago
Quoted from pinstyle:

We do have a right to talk about it and attempt to get back what should not have been charged to us in the first place though.

I hear you.

It sucks paying for warranty work.

#323 3 years ago

Sorta related....

December, 1979 or 1980 when I was working for a route op, we were having lots of the 20 pin Molex connectors burning on the Bally gen 1 Solid State power supply boards. For the circuit board, no problem as those were two 10 pin header connectors IIRC. But, harness connectors were impossible to get. Our official distributor was Empire/Bally Midwest. We were told "Nationwide Backorder". The usual ones who worked around the "protected territory" Cleveland Coin was out as were the mail order guys like Penn-Ray, Great Amusement Emporium and Wico.

On Christmas eve, I phoned a friend at Bally in the parts department and explained my dilemma: I could rig two or three smaller connectors and mark them but knew that could result in a spectacular mistake later on frying everything. I really needed some and knew that Bally had them as they were building harnesses for new games on the line. My friend said he'd see what he could do.

On Christmas morning, at around 10:00 am our doorbell rang. My dad & I answered the door. I kid you not, there was a green Jeep in front of the house and a dude in US Army uniform said Merry Christmas and handed us a small box from Bally Manufacturing Corporation. It was stamped "SPECIAL DELIVERY" and had 20 of the connectors I needed. No invoice, no shipping charge, no nothing. That's service. My friend obviously got them from the harness plant in the building next door and arranged next day shipping when even a young "Federal Express" could not "Priority One" deliver. I still have the box somewhere.

Then again, Bally had lots of money back then. It was flowing.

#324 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If $12 shipping is keeping JJP in business, there should be much bigger concerns with future warranty service.

#325 3 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

If $12 shipping is keeping JJP in business, there should be much bigger concerns with future warranty service.

97% of all new USA companies go out of business in 5 years or less.

We all support new pinball, but at the same time, most of us understand there are substantial risks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 11,500.00
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Cypress, TX
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Machine - For Sale
South Burlington, VT
There are 325 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside