Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 32 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by FatPanda
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Nope fire (resized).jpg
    B5F212E2-E9B0-4D5F-A5B5-1077D37F57D4 (resized).jpeg
    A5E5F962-6CBD-4599-A8AC-FDADFE8ED476 (resized).jpeg
    #1 2 years ago

A buddy of mine was asked to fix up a barn find that a contact had found. He just opened it up and found this. Holy shit. Luckily the wasps are all dead and a mouse carcass to boot. Think he might have some issues getting this one back on the road. I’m sure we’ve all seen some train wrecks. This is the worst I’ve seen. You?

A5E5F962-6CBD-4599-A8AC-FDADFE8ED476 (resized).jpegA5E5F962-6CBD-4599-A8AC-FDADFE8ED476 (resized).jpegB5F212E2-E9B0-4D5F-A5B5-1077D37F57D4 (resized).jpegB5F212E2-E9B0-4D5F-A5B5-1077D37F57D4 (resized).jpeg
    #3 2 years ago

Space Shuttle

#4 2 years ago

Wrong thread. This should be in the nightmare thread. Good luck with the restore.

#5 2 years ago

Old school security system! I prefer bees for bonus honey...

#6 2 years ago

Mud Daubers not wasps.

#8 2 years ago

No big deal! At least it isn't mouse nest or mold! Nothing a little time can't fix!

#9 2 years ago

It could be worse, I don’t see any rust.

#10 2 years ago

Let us know how it cleans up. Do you know how many years this was in a barn. Looks like a scene from an Alien movie. I wonder what the cab and playfield look like.

#11 2 years ago

I wonder if the Space Shuttles look like this now...

#12 2 years ago

Too far-gone to mess with, IMO.

Space Shuttle is a great game, but it’s not rare (around 7000 made) and it’s neither difficult nor expensive to find one in acceptable “player’s” condition (or better). I would be afraid the effort needed to resurrect this Lazarus of a machine just wouldn’t be worth the time. Restoration of a derelict pinball machine can certainly be a rewarding and fun experience, but plowing through all the mouse turds and other flotsam in THIS game would be a bit too gross of a job for me (then again, I’m sort of a “neat freak” who strongly dislikes dirty jobs and does things like wearing nitrile gloves when working on a car).

(I have seen several retail listings for this game in good condition for $3500-4000 over the past year or so, so I figure with a little searching a good one could be found for even less through a private seller.)

#13 2 years ago

Most of the machine looks surprisingly clean (minus the Mud Dauber nests). Metal looks good etc. what the rest of it look like?
    Those nests will just break off and are easy to remove.

#14 2 years ago

Mechs and cabinet don't actually look too bad, once you remove the nests.

#15 2 years ago

God bless you people who are willing to take something like this on.

I would kill it with fire.

#16 2 years ago

I want more pics!

#17 2 years ago

Looks pretty easy to clean up. Should come out nice.

#18 2 years ago

The lack of rust is very promising, depending on how the topside looks it should be worth the effort.

#19 2 years ago

Lets see a playfield pic or two!

#20 2 years ago

Yeah, the nests should come off easily enough. What they're attached to shouldn't be damaged. The insects just use things as mounting points.

I've never seen that many nests in a game before. At most in a single game, I've seen two tiny nests with 1-3 cells each.

#21 2 years ago

My Flash Gordon had a half dozen of these. It’ll clean up nice, the mud wipes off with water.

Also I just got stung by a wasp last night during the hurricane and my whole hand is swolen. So F wasps!

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hogey:

A buddy of mine was asked to fix up a barn find that a contact had found. He just opened it up and found this. Holy shit. Luckily the wasps are all dead and a mouse carcass to boot. Think he might have some issues getting this one back on the road. I’m sure we’ve all seen some train wrecks. This is the worst I’ve seen. You?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

My Torpedo Alley looked like this, minus maybe 5 nests. But it was also rusty! This looks pretty easy to fix, I’m sure the cab has moisture damage, but screw it!
    Imo if the price is right, no game is too far gone.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

would kill it with fire.

And dance around it under a full moon…

#24 2 years ago

If the playfield art is ok, I'd fix it.

#25 2 years ago

Pull the playfield out and hit it with an air compressor.

#26 2 years ago

holy crap! as someone who's deathly frightened of wasps, that's scary as hell!!! the 'after' pix will be amazing, though.

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from Thermionic:

Too far-gone to mess with, IMO.
    Space Shuttle is a great game, but it’s not rare (around 7000 made) and it’s neither difficult nor expensive to find one in acceptable “player’s” condition (or better). I would be afraid the effort needed to resurrect this Lazarus of a machine just wouldn’t be worth the time. Restoration of a derelict pinball machine can certainly be a rewarding and fun experience, but plowing through all the mouse turds and other flotsam in THIS game would be a bit too gross of a job for me (then again, I’m sort of a “neat freak” who strongly dislikes dirty jobs and does things like wearing nitrile gloves when working on a car).
    (I have seen several retail listings for this game in good condition for $3500-4000 over the past year or so, so I figure with a little searching a good one could be found for even less through a private seller.)

Do you like camping or yard work?

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

God bless you people who are willing to take something like this on.
    I would kill it with fire.

When you've lived your entire life in Dallas, and almost your entire adult life adjacent to a creek, smashing mud dauber nests is just something to pass the time. Those guys are EVERYWHERE. There's two nests in progress in a hard to reach spot over our garage right now!

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Do you like camping or yard work?

Camping - yes, love it; yardwork - hell no!

I guess I should have elaborated a little. I thoroughly enjoy the process of troubleshooting, repairing, restoring, and tweaking the electronics and mechanical assemblies, as that comports with skills I feel reasonably competent in. What gets me in over my head are the areas that rely primarily on "craftsmanship"; I was never all that good at woodworking, painting, art, etc., so I tend to want to leave those tasks to someone with the appropriate ability and experience.

#30 2 years ago

Save those nests ... they'd be an awesome mod for some game out there !!!

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from cosmokramer:

Looks pretty easy to clean up. Should come out nice.

Nope fire (resized).jpgNope fire (resized).jpg
    #32 2 years ago

Take the game outside, put a dust mask and some gloves on, and start pulling off those nests, vacuuming up any other remnants and let it air out...I wouldn't take it on as a job, but I wouldn't mind it as a cheap project machine either. I'm talking real cheap

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yikes-barn-find?hl=thatonedude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.