New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 260628)

Yet another Williams reset post

By Occelot

9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by dsuperbee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
image (resized).jpg

#1 9 months ago

Hey guys, I am currently going through the reset guide. My BSD resets only in the first few minutes, so naturally I thought it was the thermistor. I replaced this and checked other wiring in the box, everything good. Rests still present in first 5 minutes or so. Before I take out the power board and check for cold solder joints etc, is there anything else that could only cause rests when the game is cold?

#2 9 months ago
Quoted from Occelot:

Hey guys, I am currently going through the reset guide. My BSD resets only in the first few minutes, so naturally I thought it was the thermistor. I replaced this and checked other wiring in the box, everything good. Rests still present in first 5 minutes or so. Before I take out the power board and check for cold solder joints etc, is there anything else that could only cause rests when the game is cold?

The thermistor very rarely fails. The most likely issue are old connectors and capacitors on the power driver board. If they have not been swapped already I would especially replace C4 and C5 in addition to checking connectors J101 and J114 for heat damage.

#3 9 months ago

Check the big transistor on the heat sink on the driver board. If the area around the board looks like it has been overheated, you might consider replacing that.
I believe it is Q1, the 5 volt regulator.

LTG : )

#4 9 months ago

Well, the Q1 looks fine at least from the front. As does J102, and J114. J101 has some heat marks on female connector pins 1 and 2. And they look a little tarnished.

Interesting enough, when I opened the power box to check the thermistor, the thermistor was cracked. So I was almost certain it was that. (But it wasn’t )

image (resized).jpgimage.jpg
#5 9 months ago

When all else fails, get a Kahr board.

#6 9 months ago
Quoted from Occelot:

Well, the Q1 looks fine at least from the front. As does J102, and J114. J101 has some heat marks on female connector pins 1 and 2. And they look a little tarnished.
Interesting enough, when I opened the power box to check the thermistor, the thermistor was cracked. So I was almost certain it was that. (But it wasn’t )[quoted image][quoted image]

Fix j101, both male and female. You found the issue.

#7 9 months ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Fix j101, both male and female. You found the issue.

I corrected my post to say J101 instead of J102.

#8 9 months ago

Just checking back in (because posts with no resolutions suck and should be looked upon as an act of terror on our society.)

The female connector on j101 was the culprit. Very interesting that it was only resetting for the first few minutes. Perhaps because the caps where getting a reserve charge by then??

#9 9 months ago

There is a way to mark your thread as resolved.

#10 9 months ago
Quoted from Occelot:

Just checking back in (because posts with no resolutions suck and should be looked upon as an act of terror on our society.)
The female connector on j101 was the culprit. Very interesting that it was only resetting for the first few minutes. Perhaps because the caps where getting a reserve charge by then??

I strongly suggest you domthenmale side as well. They are heat stressed, and will build resistance quickly, causing more burnt female ends.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 180.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Customs
Machine - For Sale
Bellmore, NY
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
$ 11.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside