Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by NM
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 12 years ago

So I'll list my favorites and not so favorites titles. Hopefully I can get some advice as to which machine would fit my likings better. I've got no time on Dr. Who and a little on FT. I will play them both but even at a half hour or so...you really can't get a good feel

So my favorite machines are AFM, FGY and WPT. Kinda a strange grouping when you consider others that are out there. Pinbot and Jackbot are also up on the list..with MonsterBash a consideration.

Games I don't overly like...The Addams Family (game bored me to death), TZ (just never got into it), Cactus Canyon, CFBL does nothing for me either.

So...which game to you think 'I' would like best? Also interested in personal opinions too!

Thanks!

#2 12 years ago

FGY is a lawlor game and you list a bunch of lawlor games you don't like... It is also a very stop and go game...
WPT is steve richie and very flowing. Fish tales is a mark richie game and very flowing, but with some stop and go elements...

Play them and decided for yourself. There is a lot more to a game then comparing to unrelated machines. You may hate FT for its country music or DW for the sound quality (or the dalek's voice). You may love the flow on FT or the strategy that comes from choosing doctors. We can't tell you.

#3 12 years ago

Wow, this is a tough call. These are my two all time favorite pins and the first two I ever owned. I like FT better for the theme, but I like DW better for the way it plays. Really I think you need both!

#4 12 years ago

That's a tough decision. I play both games a lot and love them dearly!
Both awesome games.

Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

Really I think you need both!

Agreed

#5 12 years ago

I would check out videos online to get an idea. They are both also available for free on visual pinball, and that would be a good way to learn the rules and scoring of the game.

Doctor Who is setup in similar vain as Pinbot. The one downside to the game is that it relies quite a bit on video modes, which may become tedious in the home environment.

Fish Tales flows a bit better of the two.

For you, it might come down to the theme. Both are great games.

#6 12 years ago

So I'm not super crazy about either theme...I did watch a couple Dr. Who videos either and the pinbot simialiarites is kinda what drew me to it.

However...I didn't know Dr. Who had a 'bunch of video' modes. I know some guys hate video modes. Personally they don't bother me as I have a bunch of vids also...in fact I kinda like them

Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

I would check out videos online to get an idea. They are both also available for free on visual pinball, and that would be a good way to learn the rules and scoring of the game.
Doctor Who is setup in similar vain as Pinbot. The one downside to the game is that it relies quite a bit on video modes, which may become tedious in the home environment.
Fish Tales flows a bit better of the two.
For you, it might come down to the theme. Both are great games.

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from Monster_Bash:

However...I didn't know Dr. Who had a 'bunch of video' modes.

As far as I know, it only has the one video mode where you jump over stuff. How confident are you in your ability to fix stuff when it breaks? The Time Expander on DW can be a real bitch. There is much less to go wrong on FT.

#8 12 years ago

If you don't like the theme or never watched the TV show you may hate the screaming Dalek sounds. Personally, I love them.

And yes, you do get a lot of video modes. And it's not a bunch of different ones. It's the same one over and over again, with different animations at the end of each sequence of "waves".

With FT, it is pretty hard to get to video mode more than once per game. It also happens to be the best video mode in all of pinball.

#9 12 years ago

DW is a love it or hate it type of game. FT has more appeal for the masses.

#10 12 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

DW is a love it or hate it type of game. FT has more appeal for the masses.

I would have to agree with this assessment.

#11 12 years ago

Both fantastic games,i have DW and hope to have FT someday soon..personally i prefer the Dr a little more..love the WHO 3 shot sonic boom combo with the 3rd flipper!

#12 12 years ago

Games I don't overly like...The Addams Family (game bored me to death), TZ (just never got into it), CFBL does nothing for me either.

+1 seems my tastes in the games you dont like a very similar

#13 12 years ago

So I'll list my favorites and not so favorites titles. Hopefully I can get some advice as to which machine would fit my likings better. I've got no time on Dr. Who and a little on FT. I will play them both but even at a half hour or so...you really can't get a good feel
So my favorite machines are AFM, FGY and WPT. Kinda a strange grouping when you consider others that are out there. Pinbot and Jackbot are also up on the list..with MonsterBash a consideration.
Games I don't overly like...The Addams Family (game bored me to death), TZ (just never got into it), Cactus Canyon, CFBL does nothing for me either.
So...which game to you think 'I' would like best? Also interested in personal opinions too!
Thanks!

Hmm, I don't care for TAF or TZ or Creech. If it helps, I LOVE FT. One of my all time favorite games.

Never played Dr Who, so no help there.

#14 12 years ago

If you like an open playfield, go with the doctor. If you like a playfield where all the shot entrances are roughly the same distance from the flippers, fishtales.

#15 12 years ago

FT is just so addictive......most addictive pin I have ever played. Sold mine, miss it big time. Great modes, best video mode in pinball. Super hard 100 million jackpot. Criss cross ramp is so good that wonder why so under utilized in other games?

DR Who is fun and I love the theme way better than FT but for me FT wins by a mile. If FT had been a monster pin with stunning artwork etc, it would have been top 10!!!!

#16 12 years ago

Thanks!

I think you should give WH2O a try. My personal favorite game, still affordable and lots of flow with open playfield. It looks like the stop and go, congested playfields are not your cup of tea.

#17 12 years ago

I think FT is best for you.

#18 12 years ago

Fishtales! DW never appealed to me. The art and sound just seem subpar for some reason, but then I again I never followed the show.

#19 12 years ago

DW will blow your mind. No other game like it in play or rules, but I have also said (and agree with another here) that the game appears to have originally been the third installment of the Pinbot series, and has the same brutal side drains. Teaches you how to nudge, as Pinbot does.

This is miles above FT for me.

#20 12 years ago

edit: stupidity

#21 12 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be making a choice this weekend. From what I see here it looks like FT has a slight edge but the DW followers had real strong opinions and possibly their favorite game.

I guess we'll see what the weekend brings

#22 12 years ago

Buy both and sell the one you like less! Should be an easy sell as both are solid games based on reviews.

#23 12 years ago

Tough call: both are great games and I rate them about equally.

As Dave suggested, it would be great if you could get them both and sell the one you don't like...or keep it .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs
Displays
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.99
Tools
FlipMods
Tools
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC
Other
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement
Cabinet parts
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-vs-fish-tales-vs-dr-who and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.