Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Pin_Guy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

During skill shot selection you can hit the flippers to speed up the selection from left to right, then pull trigger to confirm, on my game all of the sudden on ball 1 half the time, rarley ball 2 or 3- you cant, left flipper works but doesnt move selection and when you hit the right flipper it launches the ball, game plays fine otherwise including lane change with both flippers except i noticed that if you pass video mode with the 25 mil the flippers dont energise until its almost to the flipper from the left popper if you choose video mode its fine right out of the popper, from my JD the cpu, fliptronics, and powerdriver swaped in one at a time no change, then the whole ribbon cable set with no change, switch tests are good, maybe my rom? Also checked flipper switches connections on my plugs and will do again when home, any ideas?

#2 7 years ago

Having done all of that, try swapping the L & R flipper opto boards and see if the problem travels?

#3 7 years ago

I have a mag board on right side, and a leaf switch on the left. They are registering properly in switch test and in game. I can try and unplug the mag board and see if it changes.

#4 7 years ago

12v is dropped an isolated on the left side, leaf switch just closing ground side to the input

#5 7 years ago

I had this issue when I update my rom from LA5 to LX7. It was frustrating and baffling. Not being as technically savvy as many on this board, having only had my STTNG machine for about 3 months, I reset my machine to factory settings and all worked normally again. I then went back through and reset my custom settings for various things like extra ball and min sound level and custom message. All has worked fine since.

#6 7 years ago

Hmmm thanks tim, i just went through a bunch of wiring and everything looks sound. So maybe a glitch in rom? I ordered a new one as swapping all the boards and ribbons didnt do squat, switch tests are fine, im not sure whats left to try

#7 7 years ago

Ok i did some experimenting, on ball 1 with glass off- while its not letting me advance the left to right skill selection with the left flipper i reached in and pressed an upper lane change, pressing the left flipper changes the lanes and energizes the flipper, so the cpu is on some level acknowledging the button press while in the skill mode, changing lamp matrix data but not on the screen stuff, what could this be if ive swapped cpu's? Maybe a display board? Im very good with a meter but unskilled with a logic probe, any sttng experts out there have a clue what to check?

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I have a mag board on right side, and a leaf switch on the left.

replace both of these with opto boards as neither of these sounds correct for the game. Without seeing a pic, the leaf switch sounds like a single contact switch used in EM games and is going to cause problems since each flipper needs a pair of switches (upper and lower) to function correctly. Yes I realize there is no Upper left flipper, but the game still uses this information as it considers them separate switches.

Edit: well that idea may be out since it looks like these could be hard to find. Your flippers boards should look like this one:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17316

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

replace both of these with opto boards as neither of these sounds correct for the game. Without seeing a pic, the leaf switch sounds like a single contact switch used in EM games and is going to cause problems since each flipper needs a pair of switches (upper and lower) to function correctly. Yes I realize there is no Upper left flipper, but the game still uses this information as it considers them separate switches.
Edit: well that idea may be out since it looks like these could be hard to find. Your flippers boards should look like this one:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-17316

its been playing that way since i got it about 8 months ago. both lower and "upper" flipper inputs are tied together on one side of the contact, switch test shows both inputs activate just fine. im leaning away from that being an issue, input goes to ground and produces a switch closures just like an opto board, but the 12v is dropped and capped off. this problem just started. the mag board is a great lakes modular proximity switch board.

#10 7 years ago

Ok, it should work like that, as long as it's you see activation of both flipper switches with your coin door open and all 3 (EOS) with it closed.

left flipper works but doesn't move selection and when you hit the right flipper it launches the ball

The right flipper will launch the ball if you have Adjustment A2. 16 (Flipper Plunger) turned on. It sounds to me like you want it to be off.

what could this be if ive swapped cpu's

Unlike most game switches, the closure of these switches are processed on the fliptronics board and sent to the CPU on the 8 data lines from the the fliptronics board, it's more likely the problem would reside on that board vs the CPU board.

So maybe a glitch in rom?

This is extremely unlikely as any data corruption in the game ROM would cause it to fail checksum which would halt the boot process.

#11 7 years ago

Right..... still confusing though becuase lane change is working, fliptronics has been changed out (headers and ribbons not the issue and board itself) fliptronics must be sending info to cpu/driver becuase i can make lane changes and move the shuttle in vid mode....

#12 7 years ago

Thanks for input pinguy.

#13 7 years ago

The right flipper will launch the ball if you have Adjustment A2. 16 (Flipper Plunger) turned on. It sounds to me like you want it to be off.

Its off, as i said usually ball one on 50% of the time for new game.

#14 7 years ago

I sounds like you have done everything possible in the head. Have you tried swapping you L/R flippers yet? I'm reaching out on this one, but while that leaf switch may work, and a ground is a logic low, the switch closure may be generating more noise than the WPC cards are designed to deal with it.

#15 7 years ago

No i havent, but remember when this does happen the right flipper launches the ball even if left flipper is never pressed. Its extremely strange.

#16 7 years ago

I have your answer, and learned something new about my game as well.

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

OPQuoted from wisefwumyogwave:left flipper works but doesn't move selection and when you hit the right flipper it launches the ball

In order to confirm that you were experiencing exactly how the game operates with A2. 16 turned on, I set this to "ON" on my machine. To my surprise, turning it off did nothing and it stayed on even when you tell it to turn off, and it shows the feature is off in the adjustment menu! I was not able to speed up the ball launch selection with the left flipper, and the right flipper launched the ball (every time) ... additionally, my right cannon no longer performed a POST as other mentioned. I had to do a factory reset from the Utilities menu to correct this problem as posted earlier in this thread:

Quoted from TimBoch:

I reset my machine to factory settings and all worked normally again. I then went back through and reset my custom settings for various things like extra ball and min sound level and custom message. All has worked fine since.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I have your answer, and learned something new about my game as well.

In order to confirm that you were experiencing exactly how the game operates with A2. 16 turned on, I set this to "ON" on my machine. To my surprise, turning it off did nothing and it stayed on even when you tell it to turn off, and it shows the feature is off in the adjustment menu! I was not able to speed up the ball launch selection with the left flipper, and the right flipper launched the ball (every time) ... additionally, my right cannon no longer performed a POST as other mentioned. I had to do a factory reset from the Utilities menu to correct this problem as posted earlier in this thread:

So the factory reset work? Since much of the programming of STTNG is over my head, that was the only option I tried and worked.

#18 7 years ago

Mine seems good for many games then it acts like adjustment 2-16 is on for a few balls, then reverts back. When i do actually turn it on, only right flipper launches ball is that normal?

#19 7 years ago

Flakey/Bad memory chip?

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

So the factory reset work? Since much of the programming of STTNG is over my head, that was the only option I tried and worked.

Yes, it fixed everything including restoring the right cannon power on self test function.

When i do actually turn it on, only right flipper launches ball is that normal?

Yes this is normal with flipper plunger on.

#21 7 years ago

New cpu and rom new fliptronics still does it. Also swapes display driver with JD, not sure why the game thinks its on flipper plunger adjustment sometimes, so weird. Produces gun trigger error sometimes, switch is totally fine in test.

#22 7 years ago

I'm at a loss ... Played mine for a couple hours today and it never happened again after the factory reset, but mine was a little different since it wasn't intermittent, the flipper launch was on all the time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mechanicsville, VA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 15.00
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
$ 85.00
$ 64.99
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-sttng-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.