Yet another STTNG cannon question...

By arzoo

8 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi,
Recently the left cannon on my STTNG started going into "Launch A Probe" mode randomly. So while playing a game, the cannon will start to rotate. I checked and cleaned the optos and they seem to be working fine. The obvious cause could be an intermittent short in the wring harness - but when I move or jiggle the harness it never triggers the problem. Could it still be something bad with the opto? Any other suggestions on how to diagnose or solve this problem?

On a related note, when the game first boots up, both my cannons use to go through a single rotation (and the kicker solenoid would fire). But now only the right cannon does this? Is it normal for the cannons to do this when the pin first powers up? Could this be related to the other problem?

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

I'm sure everyone else will chime in but if you have not replaced the harness, that would be the place to start. It's not a matter of wiggling the wire, it's the twisting the wires and cracking the strands. Just spend the cash and change the harnesses

#3 8 years ago

So does anyone have the cannon harnesses in stock?

#4 8 years ago

PinBits usually does.
If it shows out of stock just email Pam

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion to replace the harnesses. I purchased a pair from PinballHeaven (thePinballWizard also had them in stock). Hopefully this will solve the problem.

#6 8 years ago

Cannon problems (Canon cannot find home)
1. Unplug 4 pin plug from underneath the play field (If you cant find the plug, follow the wires from the canon to under the play field and you will find it) , use a multimeter using the "tone" function, and test the MALE plug, back to the cannons transmitter opto. If you get no "Tone" to the transmitter opto you will need to replace the wires from the opto to the 4 pin plug.. if all is good go to step 2
2. Using a mobile phone camera on live view, look at the transmitter opto on the cannon, if the light is a very dim purple/blue you will need to replace the IR LED,(about 70c from a electronics shop). (This was the problem with my canon). If the IR Transmitter opto is bright go to step 3
3. Clean IR opto on the cannon using isopropyl alcohol, if its still not working. Put the pinball machine into test mode, and use the canon test to test the switches. if they didn't detect home (closed) you will most likely need to replace the micro switches or test the fuses
4. With the machine off, check the continuity of the coil harness - if bad replace whole harness

Good luck

5 months later
#7 8 years ago

Fixed: Faulty opto receiver was the problem.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

On a related note, when the game first boots up, both my cannons use to go through a single rotation (and the kicker solenoid would fire). But now only the right cannon does this? Is it normal for the cannons to do this when the pin first powers up? Could this be related to the other problem?
Thanks!

this is normal, to the point where i wonder if it's a ROM bug. on mine, only one cannon rotates on bootup, but they've never malfunctioned during gameplay. i've seen both cannons rotate on boot up, but rarely.

#9 8 years ago

I have a tng the problem your having is a switch, not the limit switch but the other that tells the ball not to shoot, I have had that issue before look at the switch with he test which cannon it is with them stowed they all should be closed. If it's not closed it won't rotate when turned on, Don't think it's a rom issue

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 63.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 64.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-sttng-cannon-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.