Topic Stats

• 594 posts
  • 114 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by chadderack
  • Topic is favorited by 34 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 374 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0561 (resized).JPG
IMG_5679 (resized).JPG
IMG_0722 (resized).PNG
pinball2017_0112 (resized).jpg
IMG_5604 (resized).JPG
IMG_5600 (resized).JPG
IMG_5425 (resized).JPG
IMG_5426 (resized).JPG
IMG_5423 (resized).JPG
IMG_5599 (resized).JPG
IMG_5598 (resized).JPG
IMG_5597 (resized).JPG
IMG_5593 (resized).JPG
IMG_5582 (resized).JPG
IMG_5573 (resized).JPG
IMG_5571 (resized).JPG

There are 594 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.
#201 2 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Someone should change pin to read: Pinball Is My Girlfriend - they'd sell a million of them

We have those too, and several others. We don't sell them though, we give them away. Come play in a Boise tournament and get one.

#202 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Long cream donuts are the shit!
That's about the only bakery item I ever buy back home.
rd

My brother used to live in Warkworth, NZ. His kids told me that was his vice too.

#203 2 years ago
Quoted from SteveinTexas:

My brother used to live in Warkworth, NZ. His kids told me that was his vice too.

The ones I get have saltanas in them, and they're covered with sugar.

Milbrooks bakery in Pukekohe has been making them every day, exactly the same for like 25 years. Still only $2.50 each.

Photo of a long donut below ... this is not a Millbrooks one.

The round one is a Millbrooks one. They make these too.

rd

IMG_4822 (resized).JPG

IMG_4821 (resized).JPG

#204 2 years ago

Right ho!!

Left Wichita Falls this morning, and drove the 250 miles to Amarillo.

On the way, we stopped off at a "historic town" called Electra. Also cool because it references the name of a cool Bally pin.

Electra had some sweet old buildings. Mostly in a sad state of repair. Check out the hardware store, the corner of the building broke off and the roof collapsed. Now the front window display is ... the first floor. Lol

rd

IMG_4767 (resized).JPG

IMG_4771 (resized).JPG

IMG_4769 (resized).JPG

IMG_4772 (resized).JPG

#205 2 years ago

Here's the old town hall (I presume)

This would have been a sweet building in its day. Now the roof has gone, you could see sunlight through the windows.

This old house was next to the town hall.

rd

IMG_4702 (resized).JPG
IMG_4705 (resized).JPG
IMG_4707 (resized).JPG
IMG_4708 (resized).JPG
IMG_4710 (resized).JPG
IMG_4709 (resized).JPG
IMG_4755 (resized).JPG

#206 2 years ago

Some of the roads were still paved with the original bricks.

rd

IMG_4760 (resized).JPG

IMG_4704 (resized).JPG

#207 2 years ago

We found this cool old drive in diner.

IMG_4688 (resized).JPG

IMG_4701 (resized).JPG

#208 2 years ago

And next door was this old service station ... two doors down was the old brick service station.

rd

IMG_4695 (resized).JPG
IMG_4693 (resized).JPG
IMG_4692 (resized).JPG
IMG_4698 (resized).JPG

#209 2 years ago

A few buildings in Electra had been restored. The best of them was the theatre, which is open for tours on Fridays.

Alas ... today was not a Friday.

rd

IMG_4766 (resized).JPG

IMG_4777 (resized).JPG

#210 2 years ago

This is what driving across northern Texas looks like.

And a lot of the other States down this way.

rd

IMG_4778 (resized).JPG

#211 2 years ago

When we hit Amarillo, we went straight to the famous Cadillac Ranch. Three guys planted 10 Cadillacs in the ground in 1972 as an art installation. It was originally somewhere else in Amarillo .. it was moved to its present location in 1997.

Everyone shows up with spray paint to graffiti on them.

At this stage, the paint is about the only thing holding them together.

rd

IMG_4781 (resized).JPG

IMG_4782 (resized).JPG

IMG_4783 (resized).JPG

IMG_4786 (resized).JPG

IMG_4795 (resized).JPG

IMG_4788 (resized).JPG

#212 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

When we hit Amarillo, we went straight to the famous Cadillac Ranch. Three guys planted 10 Cadillacs in the ground in 1972 as an art installation. It was originally somewhere else in Amarillo .. it was moved to its present location in 1997.
Everyone shows up with spray paint to graffiti on them.
At this stage, the paint is about the only thing holding them together.
rd

Way cool brings back memories of long ago... Now lets see pics of that 72 ounce steak and those rattlesnake appetizers down the road....

#213 2 years ago

You ask ... and I provide.

We headed to the world famous (in Texas) Big Texan Steak Ranch to have some meat! And beer!

The meat is big! The meat is juicy! The meat has gone!

It was a mission. That was an 18oz (500gram) ribeye. The "eating challenge" Steak is 72oz which is 2kg. 4x the size! Plus you have to eat a baked potato, a salad and a shrimp starter. Way beyond this mans abilities!

rd

IMG_4811 (resized).JPG
IMG_4812 (resized).JPG

IMG_4801 (resized).JPG

#214 2 years ago

Then dessert showed up.

3 litres of Pecan Porter beer brewed on site.

It was hard going after all the food (and all the beers before ...)

rd

IMG_4813 (resized).JPG

IMG_4814 (resized).JPG

IMG_4819 (resized).JPG

IMG_4820 (resized).JPG

#215 2 years ago

Love those Cadillac Ranch photos. So many paint layers!

#216 2 years ago

Hey Dave,

- Yet another RotorDave USA travel odyssey thread - love it!
Glad you are doing those trips again and again

#217 2 years ago

Love yer threads RD. Been hearing some things about Code Orange, should be a killer show. Anthrax will be a hellacious pit! Waiting on another of yer Midwest stops, so you can help me break in this Mesa head good n proper. Congrats and good luck to you and lil RD!
Righty ho!

#218 2 years ago

Thanks for the old building pics. Love that drive-in. Makes me want to take a trip to Texas.

#219 2 years ago

Fun trivial fact: Electra is often used in the cell phone game Ingress as a primary anchor point to create fields that cover all of D/FW metroplex.

#220 2 years ago

One of those three litre porter containers reminds me of a bong we made out of solid brass at the University of Michigan nuclear engineering lab in 1977. It was about the same height!

#221 2 years ago

Today we left Amarillo for the 260 mile drive to OKC.. with lots of Route 66 stops on the way.

Texas has lots of wind turbines generating power. This morning it was only 60 degrees and there was a very strong cold wind blowing.

rd

IMG_4826 (resized).JPG

#222 2 years ago

60 is cold? I'm wearing shorts and sandals...

#223 2 years ago

The first stop was Conway, just out of Amarillo.

Here someone has made a "bug ranch" ... a copy of the Cadillac Ranch but with VWs.

The whole area is abandoned and trashed by vandals.

rd

IMG_4827 (resized).JPG
IMG_4832 (resized).JPG
IMG_4829 (resized).JPG
IMG_4836 (resized).JPG
IMG_4840 (resized).JPG
IMG_4841 (resized).JPG

#224 2 years ago

We have been to most of these places on the 2014 Hearse R66 trip, but we are taking Yee and Figureeeees for a tour.

Next stop, Groom.

The highlight is the massive Cross of Our Lord and the 12 Stations of the crucifixion. The figures are works of art.

Inside the religious centre, there is a very cool water feature and of course a gift store where you can stock up on all your christianly needs.

rd

IMG_4842 (resized).JPG

IMG_4846 (resized).JPG

IMG_4845 (resized).JPG

IMG_4847 (resized).JPG

IMG_4852 (resized).JPG

IMG_4855 (resized).JPG

IMG_4854 (resized).JPG

#225 2 years ago

Across the highway is the famous "leaning tower of Groom".

Just like the Italian one. But different.

rd

IMG_4858 (resized).JPG

IMG_4857 (resized).JPG

#226 2 years ago

Then on to McLean, home of the Devils Rope Museum.

We didn't go there this time round, but we parked up in the Main Street and had a walk around. Again, lots of delapidated old buildings. The theatre looked cool, but the roof had caved in.

rd

IMG_4862 (resized).JPG

IMG_4860 (resized).JPG

IMG_4863 (resized).JPG

#227 2 years ago

Then on to Shamrock. Which was unsurprisingly named by an Irish settler back in the late 1800s.

Shamrock features the old Service Station/diner that is the basis for Ramones Garage in the movie Cars.

On Route 66, you can see all the original stuff that each Cars character and building is based on. Mater the tow truck is up in Kansas for example. The directors drove Route 66 and took pictures of the things they liked and away they went.

rd

IMG_4864 (resized).JPG
IMG_4870 (resized).JPG
IMG_4865 (resized).JPG

#228 2 years ago

Then off to a ghost town called Texola, on the Oklahoma border.

Lots of derelict houses, and this cool old original town jail house.

It still houses dodgy inmates to this day. Evidently.

rd

IMG_4866 (resized).JPG

IMG_4867 (resized).JPG

#229 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

60 is cold? I'm wearing shorts and sandals...

60f = 15c ... not too warm. But it was mainly the freezing wind, it was ripping across Amarillo pretty swiftly.

Obviously why they put the Turbines up there.

As we got to Oklahoma the temp had risen to 80 and the wind had gone. Very pleasant.

rd

#230 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

We have been to most of these places on the 2014 Hearse R66 trip, but we are taking Yee and Figureeeees for a tour.
Next stop, Groom.
The highlight is the massive Cross of Our Lord and the 12 Stations of the crucifixion. The figures are works of art.
Inside the religious centre, there is a very cool water feature and of course a gift store where you can stock up on all your christianly needs.
rd

The Cross can be seen for miles as you drive toward it from the east or west. Very spiritual place.
Thanks for the kind reminder of what a great drive route 66 is and was. Have you seen any signs of Jack Kerouac? LOL. Thanks again

#231 2 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Have you seen any signs of Jack Kerouac? LOL. Thanks again

No but I saw an old guy who looked like Hunter S Thompson!

"This is bat country boys!!!!"

rd

#232 2 years ago

On those before and after photos at the steak house, I don't think the fork moved on that salad of yours .

#233 2 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

On those before and after photos at the steak house, I don't think the fork moved on that salad of yours .

I had a pick of it at the end. A man has to have his greens.

rd

#234 2 years ago

So much fun to be kind of part of it - many thanks for sharing so many photos and impressions.
Would love to met you again at PAPA. But I'll skip it this year.
Only downside with your photos... I went vegetarian more than a year ago and some of the photos give me a hard time staying "clean"
Enjoy your trip and all the best also to Fiona and Danni!

#235 2 years ago
Quoted from frg:

...I went vegetarian more than a year ago...

Sorry for your loss.

Cool thread, makes me want to do a roadtrip of my own!

#236 2 years ago

Just arrived at Cactus Jacks in OKC.

Big arcade that opened in 1976!

56 pins, all in nice condition. The nice lady here said they had just moved them back into this room, so some need levelling (which they did)

She also showed us a just opened NIB Interflip Dragon which was amazing. It's a great game, you can play it at PAPA if you are there.

rd

IMG_4891 (resized).JPG
IMG_4892 (resized).JPG

IMG_4893 (resized).JPG

IMG_4886 (resized).JPG

#237 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

NIB Interflip Dragon

No doubt the one I had cash in hand to buy and was here in Dallas that I tried to buy.. grr. I'd rather it ended up there than in the hands of someone else that would just hoard it or flip it though. BAO

#238 2 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

No doubt the one I had cash in hand to buy and was here in Dallas that I tried to buy.. grr. I'd rather it ended up there than in the hands of someone else that would just hoard it or flip it though. BAO

Yeah, I asked her if it was the one that had been for sale in Texas. She didn't know, but it must be that one.

rd

#239 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Yeah, I asked her if it was the one that had been for sale in Texas. She didn't know, but it must be that one.
rd

Right? How many can there possibly be LOL

#240 2 years ago

Then we went to the Oklahoma Bombing Memorial site.

There is a chair for each of the 168 victims of the bombing. The small ones represent children.

The park rangers give a talk about what went on on that day in 1995.

The 9.01 and 9.03 times on the monuments represent the peace before the bomb (9.01) and the chaos after the bomb (9.03).

The reflecting pond is where the street was. The grass and the chairs is where the federal building was.

rd

IMG_4903 (resized).JPG

IMG_4901 (resized).JPG

IMG_4905 (resized).JPG

IMG_4897 (resized).JPG

#241 2 years ago

Over the road, there is a statue where a church once stood which was destroyed by the blast.

The offical name of the installation is "and Jesus Wept" .. but it really looked like he had seen the bombing and then turned around and face palmed ... "what are these clowns up to this time??"

rd

IMG_4895 (resized).JPG

IMG_4907 (resized).JPG

#242 2 years ago

So after that, Nicks Figuresssss was famished (as per usual) so we went to WHATABURGER for the first time.

Sweet burgers!!

Question: if a beef burger is a BURGER, why is a chicken burger a SANDWICH? In NZ (and everywhere else I think) you have a Burger (meat) and a Chicken Burger. A sandwich is flat. Hmmmmm

rd

IMG_4909 (resized).JPG

#243 2 years ago

Spicy ketchup for the win.

#244 2 years ago

Funny story!!

Don't read if you are easily offended .. or under 18

When we were at WhataBurger, Fiona wanted to use the restroom. Remember this is like 2pm in the afternoon.

She went in there and some fat lady was administering "oral treats" to a fat guy! They hadn't locked the door! Fiona backs out slowly ....

She comes over to us and says "these guys are going for it in the toilet!" And these guys come out of the bathroom, go to the counter and order food like nothing has happened. But they keep looking over at Fiona to see if she will go tell the staff or something ...

So we finish our burgers, and head out for the car ... I say to Figures, let's give them a bit of cheek.

So we drove the car right up to where they were sitting, beeped the horn a few times to get everyone's attention, and made some vigorous "oral pleasure" signals through the glass. Complete with appropriate sound effects. Hahaha

Poor old Figures was laughing so much he almost had a heart attack. Hahaha

rd

#245 2 years ago

Arrived at the TPF.

Free beers for all at the "happy hour".

rd

IMG_4910 (resized).JPG

#246 2 years ago

Good to see the TPF setup has started!!

Ummmm ...

rd

IMG_4921 (resized).JPG

#247 2 years ago

Had some spare time this morning so we went to the Dallas Cowboys AT&T Stadium for a look see.

This is the largest domed stadium in the world. It has seated more than 108,000 people for concerts. They were preparing the stadium for a concert on Saturday. The "grass" just rolls up in huge rolls 5 yards wide.

It's all pretty darn impressive. The roof opens up, and both ends can open up with huge stacker doors. The tv screen is 7 stories tall and cost $35,000,000 to make. It's true 1080p resolution! It truly is "bigger in Texas!"

The tour took in the owners booth, the lounges, the changing rooms for the players and the cheerleaders, the media room ... pretty good value for $17.

rd

IMG_4925 (resized).JPG
IMG_4930 (resized).JPG
IMG_4927 (resized).JPG
IMG_4932 (resized).JPG
IMG_4935 (resized).JPG
IMG_4931 (resized).JPG
IMG_4938 (resized).JPG

#248 2 years ago

Rats! Sorry I missed you guys when you came through OKC. I should pay more attention to your thread. Maybe next time.

See you at TPF!

#249 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The tour took in the owners booth, the lounges, the changing rooms for the players and the cheerleaders, the media room ... pretty good value for $17.

They would have to pay me to shake Jerry Jones' hand.

#250 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

They would have to pay me to shake Jerry Jones' hand.

That wasn't included. I think you'd have to pay extra for that. The stadium cost $1.3 BILLION so every dollar helps out.

rd

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 21.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 800.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
BK Pinball
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 1,000.00
$ 57.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 594 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside