IMG_5423 (resized).JPG
IMG_5599 (resized).JPG
IMG_5598 (resized).JPG
IMG_5597 (resized).JPG
IMG_5593 (resized).JPG
IMG_5582 (resized).JPG
IMG_5573 (resized).JPG
IMG_5571 (resized).JPG
There are 594 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.
#501 7 years ago

Other (amusement parks) suggestions while you're in PA:

Hit Kennywood since it's RIGHT there in Pittsburgh!

If you have time, Hershey Park (a bit East of Pittsburgh) is one of the best (IMHO) amusement parks here in the States! Riding the back-row/outside seat on Skyrush is one of the most F-ing INSANE experiences ever! Rider Beware!!!!!

Then there's Knoebels!?!?! Pronounced "KA-NO-Bulls". I grew up in Orlando, FL and I've traveled extensively in the USA (and even some places abroad), but Knoebels will always be my favorite amusement park in the States! From the "lovely hillside setting", to the free parking, free admission, cheap (but delicious) eats, along with one of the BEST wooden coasters in the world (Phoenix), (heck...did I even mention the pinball machines?!)

#502 7 years ago

I see Texas isn't the only place with giant margarita's.

#503 7 years ago
Quoted from CaptK:

Other (amusement parks) suggestions while you're in PA:
Hit Kennywood since it's RIGHT there in Pittsburgh!
If you have time, Hershey Park (a bit East of Pittsburgh) is one of the best (IMHO) amusement parks here in the States! Riding the back-row/outside seat on Skyrush is one of the most F-ing INSANE experiences ever! Rider Beware!!!!!
Then there's Knoebels!?!?! Pronounced "KA-NO-Bulls". I grew up in Orlando, FL and I've traveled extensively in the USA (and even some places abroad), but Knoebels will always be my favorite amusement park in the States! From the "lovely hillside setting", to the free parking, free admission, cheap (but delicious) eats, along with one of the BEST wooden coasters in the world (Phoenix), (heck...did I even mention the pinball machines?!)

Alas, they are all closed.

We went to Kennywood back in 2006. Before I even knew what a PAPA was. Kennywood is a sweet little park.

And we went to Hershey last year, but the wind was so cold they wouldn't open any of the rides so we got our money back after 3 hours of waiting ... bummer.

rd

#504 7 years ago

Love your travel threads!!! Who's the driving force behind these trips to the states? And who does all the planning and scheduling? Lots of work! What a great family! Apparently you all get along really well and enjoy each other's company? Hope the rest of the trip brings many great experiences and great food!

#505 7 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

I see Texas isn't the only place with giant margarita's.

She was regretting drinking all that frozen stuff when she went back outside! She got the shakes on!! Brrrrrrrr!!

Quoted from t2:

Love your travel threads!!! Who's the driving force behind these trips to the states? And who does all the planning and scheduling? Lots of work! What a great family! Apparently you all get along really well and enjoy each other's company? Hope the rest of the trip brings many great experiences and great food!

Well, we still don't hate each other after 4 weeks of non-separation, so I guess that's a good sign.

Fiona and I plan the trips. We have some concrete dates we need to be somewhere (like a pinball event) and we work around that.

Generally everything is very flexible. Like in Texas, we had TPF and then flew to PAPA 8 days later. So we had 8 nights to get around the bottom of Texas, staying wherever we wanted however long we pleased. We have a few places we want to go, but no crazy schedule we need to follow.

Generally seems to work out ok.

rd

#506 7 years ago

that is the great thing about the states;
you can be fairly spontaneous when traveling
cause you know just about every 20-30 miles
there will be a place to eat or sleep or get gas, from coast to coast
and tons of stuff to see and do along the way
with little fear of being stranded.

#507 7 years ago

Nice meeting you yesterday Dave! Good luck at the rest of PAPA!

#508 7 years ago

Hey Dave I have to ask now that you have seen the majority of the US, where would you live or relocate if you were to move to the US? Or what has been your favorite state you visited? Curious what a New Zealand native thinks of the good ol USA in comparison to NZ?

#509 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I lied about the temperature ... it's 40 degrees F outside. (4c). And a wind chill factor of minus A LOT!! FREEEEEZING!

Weather for today high of 39 with Snow and high winds - Sunday will be 71 and sunny - Welcome back to Pittsburgh (aka the Burgh)

#510 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Hey Dave I have to ask now that you have seen the majority of the US, where would you live or relocate if you were to move to the US? Or what has been your favorite state you visited? Curious what a New Zealand native thinks of the good ol USA in comparison to NZ?

Hmmmmm ...

We have actually had this discussion.

Firstly, it'd have to have little snow. So the east coast is out. Or up north.

Secondly, a good airport.

Los Angeles is too crazy busy on the roads these days.

Denver (and surrounding area) was cool, probably the closest to NZ, but I wasn't there in winter time. Has a good pinball scene too.

If I was to live here, I'd probably pick Las Vegas. Reasons:
1/ good airport with flights everywhere
2/ close to LA
3/ good climate
4/ lots of rock/metal shows come through town
5/ cheapish real estate, I'd probably get a 3 bedroom apartment
6/ growing pinball scene

So there you go ...

rd

#511 7 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Weather for today high of 39 with Snow and high winds - Sunday will be 71 and sunny - Welcome back to Pittsburgh (aka the Burgh)

Snow ahoy!!

rd

IMG_5441 (resized).JPGIMG_5441 (resized).JPG

#512 7 years ago

If you want cheapish real estate check out southern IN. We have had very mild winters the last couple of years. I think it only snowed twice this winter.

Louisville might be a good urban compromise. They've got an airport. Pretty close to Nashville. Nashville might be a good choice too. Plus pins are cheap in the midwest.

#513 7 years ago

I would recommend Portland Seattle areas.
Probably closest to NZ in scenery and weather.
Rains a lot 40-60 inches depending
only a little bit of snow (<3-5in)
Moderate Temps not too hot or cold.
Choice of mountains, beach or valleys or farmland.
Excellent pinball scene by the locals and bars.
Housing costs would depend on how close to
major urban area you want,
Some areas one can get acreage and/or house for relatively cheap
Good airports.

#514 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Hmmmmm ...
We have actually had this discussion.
Firstly, it'd have to have little snow. So the east coast is out. Or up north.
Secondly, a good airport.
Los Angeles is too crazy busy on the roads these days.
Denver (and surrounding area) was cool, probably the closest to NZ, but I wasn't there in winter time. Has a good pinball scene too.
If I was to live here, I'd probably pick Las Vegas. Reasons:
1/ good airport with flights everywhere
2/ close to LA
3/ good climate
4/ lots of rock/metal shows come through town
5/ cheapish real estate, I'd probably get a 3 bedroom apartment
6/ growing pinball scene
So there you go ...
rd

You need to consider the crime.My sister lived there and got broke into twice in 2 years and she lives in a nice area.

#515 7 years ago
Quoted from jhanley:

You need to consider the crime.My sister lived there and got broke into twice in 2 years and she lives in a nice area.

That'd suck!

In unrelated PAPA news, Danni and I went this morning in the snow to play.

I started getting dizzy when I was playing (thanks cold) so I bailed for the day and left her to it.

rd

#516 7 years ago

Danni qualified 4th in Woman's Division at PAPA. Playoffs at 3.15pm this afternoon.

A qualifying is a bloodbath.

rd

IMG_5446 (resized).PNGIMG_5446 (resized).PNG

#517 7 years ago

Good luck to your kiddo in the tourney! 2 questions..whats the artist/song on the 3 min YouTube video of your amazing game room?! And who the heck is tending to your amazing game room while you are overseas?! You know, like making sure they don't get dusty and are still working! For the record ..I would love that job! Haha

#518 7 years ago

If you want some classic arcade action to mix with your pin action.. drive out to https://www.facebook.com/pinballpa/ - about 30mins from PAPA and has the best classic (including EM games) collection I've seen open to the public. Plus, they have about 200 pins Seriously, its worth the trip if you appreciate arcades at all. He also has a lot of rare pins not seen in the papa collection. Condition is good, but not papa tourney ready.

Ping https://www.facebook.com/ed.edward.33 Ed and let him know you are in the area (the owner)

#519 7 years ago

Could someone possibly post the link to Rotordave's gameroom video id like to check that out

#520 7 years ago
Quoted from Dee-Bow:

2 questions..whats the artist/song on the 3 min YouTube video of your amazing game room?! And who the heck is tending to your amazing game room while you are overseas

I had to go watch the video and listen to the song. Haha.

It's Hell Yeah, War in Me. From the Band of Brothers album.

The machines are sitting there, lonely, awaiting my return ...

rd

#521 7 years ago
Quoted from davijc02:

Could someone possibly post the link to Rotordave's gameroom video id like to check that out

Here it is, I still had the page up ...

rd

#522 7 years ago

It's hard to hold back tears after watching the video...u been warned! Haha

#523 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

» YouTube video
rd

#524 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

» YouTube video
rd

Super nice collection!

#525 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I had to go watch the video and listen to the song. Haha.
It's Hell Yeah, War in Me. From the Band of Brothers album.
The machines are sitting there, lonely, awaiting my return ...
rd

Yes, he would not leave me the keys!

#526 7 years ago
Quoted from Skippy2904:

Yes, he would not leave me the keys!

They're under the mat ....

rd

#527 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

In Auckland, we get reemed for water charges big time. The council sells us the water, then charges us 9/10 of that charge again for sewage fees! So stuff them!!
Last building I built, I installed 2x 30,000 litre water tanks to catch all the water off the 1200sqm roof (14,000sqft ish)
The tenants used this water, and the overflow drained into the neighbouring creek. The building wasn't hooked up to any council services at all! Only power and phone. The council can shove it.
My house is self contained too. 2x big water tanks, and the biggest septic tanks and huge overflow system. The amount it rains in NZ, I'm set for life.
rd

My water bill ( we are on the Detroit water & sewage system) is 1/3 metered water use age and 2/3 sewage charge. You can tee into the feed and have a landscape irrigation system meter that bills for water only.

As for the dual flush toilets, I travel a lot and would say that maybe 5% of the hotels I stay in have them.

I'm seeing more of the green handle flush valves (offering two flush strengths) on the high pressure commercial (2" water line) toilets in public places. The Illinois Tollway service centers (Oasis') have has them for at least four years now.

#528 7 years ago
#529 7 years ago

Danni ended up 5th equal in the Woman's Division. She got 3rd in the Junior Division today.

I spent half the day in bed then played out the rest of my entries in A and got to 70th out of 120. Brutal competition ... it'd be interesting to see how much money some of those guys spent. Always seemed to be the same guys playing ...

rd

#530 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Danni ended up 5th equal in the Woman's Division. She got 3rd in the Junior Division today.
I spent half the day in bed then played out the rest of my entries in A and got to 70th out of 120. Brutal competition ... it'd be interesting to see how much money some of those guys spent. Always seemed to be the same guys playing ...
rd

Based on my data from directing some large herb style tournaments (including a PAPA circuit event) I'd say you should expect them to have played an amount in the 40 - 60 games range. Possibly more than that with this being best 6 games instead of 5, not sure how that difference would effect people's play.

#531 7 years ago

Holy hell that is one impressive room! Wanna adopt me?

#532 7 years ago

heck with papa tournaments at Dave's!

#533 7 years ago

I want to see pinwiztom's gameroom!
Get better rd.

#534 7 years ago

Rd, how big is that room dimension wise. Looks like you are ready to expand. Do you even have room to take the glass off between rows?

My 3 pin collection is put to shame. Hehe

#535 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I want to see pinwiztom's gameroom!

You will have to go to the Pacific Pinball Museum Annex
to see what is left of my gameroom or
should i say former gameroom,
as 75% of my collection is now in the good hands
of the good people at the PPM in Alameda CA.
I did have about 2300sqft space filled with ~80 EM pins at one time a few years back
but it was never as nice as RD's more modern collection.
here are a couple of pics.

0b827b4acf9e8debc1260ac8de17c4d68a5b4683 (resized).jpg0b827b4acf9e8debc1260ac8de17c4d68a5b4683 (resized).jpg
3a05578eb4ad3a36d0750b3901714abdfe645d12 (resized).jpg3a05578eb4ad3a36d0750b3901714abdfe645d12 (resized).jpg

I am down to about 50 pins left, some in storage, some at home;
i need to update my collection list, since i donated the majority,
got a good tax write off this year and getting a nice refund from uncle sam.

#536 7 years ago

Like the couch crammed in the corner and the 2 chairs between games. Who needs to sit?

Quoted from rotordave:

» YouTube video
rd

#537 7 years ago

Hope you get better Dave. It sucks being sick on vacation.

#538 7 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Like the couch crammed in the corner and the 2 chairs between games. Who needs to sit?

The chairs were just placeholders for games that were being repaired out in the garage.

Quoted from Rickwh:

Rd, how big is that room dimension wise. Looks like you are ready to expand. Do you even have room to take the glass off between rows

Yep, there is around 4ft between the rows, so you can get the glass off.

Forget the exact dimensions, but it is 180sqm total which is about 2000sqft.

rd

#539 7 years ago

Remember everyone, the United States will be on the Metric System by 1980. LLLLLLMFAO!!!!!!

#540 7 years ago

Saw interview with dani on the PAPA 20 finals feed. As a father of 2 young girls myself, i send you respect. You seem to be a very level headed young lady. Enjoy the rest of your stay in the states!

#541 7 years ago

And Escher wins PAPA!! Astounding.

Meanwhile, I'm in the Bogan Queue at the Anthrax/Killswitch gig!

\m/

rd

IMG_5452 (resized).JPGIMG_5452 (resized).JPG

#542 7 years ago

The Anthrax tour bus!

rd

IMG_5454 (resized).JPGIMG_5454 (resized).JPG

#543 7 years ago

To the front!! \m/

rd

IMG_5453 (resized).JPGIMG_5453 (resized).JPG

#544 7 years ago

Horns-up! Nice to see anthrax doing good still! That'll be a deadly show! Must be a family thing 'cause your wife and kid were sitting front row at the papa finals..haha! Just watched on YouTube! And holy sheeet batman! That young man Escher sure can pinball! Good for him, & only 13 years old! Yikes

#545 7 years ago

Anthrax ....

rd

IMG_5459 (resized).JPGIMG_5459 (resized).JPG

IMG_5486 (resized).JPGIMG_5486 (resized).JPG

IMG_5485 (resized).JPGIMG_5485 (resized).JPG

#546 7 years ago

Killswitch Engage ...

Even better than when I saw them in Auckland 4 weeks ago. That time they played the Alive or Just Breathing LP all the way through. This time it was KSE Hits-o-Rama! Every song a gem!

The highlight was when Joey Belladona came out at the end and sung Holy Diver. Nice!!

rd

IMG_5488 (resized).JPGIMG_5488 (resized).JPG
IMG_5500 (resized).JPGIMG_5500 (resized).JPG
IMG_5511 (resized).JPGIMG_5511 (resized).JPG
IMG_5528 (resized).JPGIMG_5528 (resized).JPG
IMG_5541 (resized).JPGIMG_5541 (resized).JPG

IMG_5545 (resized).JPGIMG_5545 (resized).JPG

#547 7 years ago

When in Rome ....

Philly cheesesteak! Nice!

rd

IMG_5571 (resized).JPGIMG_5571 (resized).JPG

#548 7 years ago

http://www.stevesprinceofsteaks.com/
When in Phila check out steves I like mine Prov/wit!

#549 7 years ago

Yaaaaaay it's almost over. Not yay because I'm leaving the US, but because the rest of my family is back home. I wanna go have a cup of tea with my nana and then cuddle my fat dogs.

Shoutout to my man Pete who is the best scorekeeper at PAPA, and has the best hat ever. Hands down. Plus he does some pretty good interviewing.
I was able to get a selfie with the famous hat, too!

IMG_9654 (resized).JPGIMG_9654 (resized).JPG

Regarding the tournament itself, I sucked (at least imo). Especially in B division. I just totally blew it, and nothing worked for me. Like it didn't matter what I did, it just wasn't good enough to get me to the top.

However, that is how pinball goes. So no biggie. I still got 3 big medals regardless...

Now I'm going to drink some more lemonade...

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#550 7 years ago

Flying back from Pittsburgh to Houston ... someone has got pinballed out ...

rd

IMG_5573 (resized).JPGIMG_5573 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 594 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-rotordave-usa-travel-odyssey-thread/page/11 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.