4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG

#1 4 years ago

I, apparently, have been chosen to be the king of the intermittent problem ... a simple circuit, yet the ball count does not always advance, stopping intermittently, sometimes for a couple plays on a ball (varies). After doing all of the regular checks, such as cleaning contacts, jones plugs, replacing the trough switch, I started testing with jumpers. Jumping from the BLU-B on the Ball Index relay to the RED-B on the Outhole relay always made the ball count advance as it should. RED-B to RED-B did not. To rule out broken wires, etc. I jumped the BLU-B and the RED-B on the Ball Index together and the ball count always advanced correctly (although first ball up made it go to '2'). Sooooo, I figured it had to be the sw. and replaced it. No. Ideas?

The whole schematic is here: https://www.ipdb.org/files/1245/Williams_1966_Hot_Line_Schematic_Diagram_continuous.pdf

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#2 4 years ago

Jumper from the BLU-B on SM 2B to RED-B on the Outhole also makes the ball count work everytime. Something with timing?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

I jumped the BLU-B and the RED-B on the Ball Index together and the ball count always advanced correctly

If you jumper around something and it starts working reliably the problem is most likely between the test leads. Keep moving the leads closer together to eliminate more of the circuit from consideration.

Is the Ball Index relay firing reliably? Does it work if you hold the Ball Index relay closed without any test leads?

/Mark

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

If you jumper around something and it starts working reliably the problem is most likely between the test leads. Keep moving the leads closer together to eliminate more of the circuit from consideration.

That's why I figured it had to be that switch as those two make together. Now I'm wondering if there is something with the timing of the fire at 2B, perhaps that that sw. on the BI doesn't always make at the time the signal comes thru? That possibility would be eliminated by have the jumper there all the time.

Ball Index is firing reliably.

#5 4 years ago

The Ball Index relay should fire when any points are scored or when the trough switch is tripped, long before the Ball Count solenoid should fire. It should stay active while you play until the Outhole relay fires and the Score Motor 3C switch opens. The Ball Count solenoid fires on Score Motor 2B which should compete before the 3C switch releases the Ball Index relay.

Turn the Score Motor by hand with the power off and see if all the Score Motor 2nd cam switches do their thing before any 3rd cam switches do. Also check that the 3C switch has enough tension while closed so it doesn't bounce while the Score Motor is running. If there isn't enough tension it might let the Ball Index relay go before it should which would block the Ball Count pulse.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Also check that the 3C switch has enough tension while closed

Bingo!! I had checked that sw. right off for cleanliness after having a similar experience with my Fun-Fest but, rather inexplicably, didn't really check the solidness of contact.

Thanks Mark ... another one for your trophy case!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement
Plastics
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 4.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Various novelties

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-intermittent-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.