• Keep my collection unchanged. 7 votes
    9%

(77 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG20161221185229 (resized).jpg
IMG_0904 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

A nice LOTR came up for sale in my area and I'm considering buying it. I seriously overthink decisions like this so I figured "Why not get opinions from Pinside?". Not sure it will help but I'm interested what you guys think.

Me: I've been in the hobby 3 years and I've been though a lot of pins; 13 so far. So I tend not to own pins long... 3-18 months. I enjoy all eras of pinball but I definitely prefer pins from the DMD era.

My current line up:
WOZ (3 months)
RBION (1 week)
DW (6 months)
BSD (18 months)
TS (15 months)
Flash (2 months)
(You can look at my profile to see past pins)

I only truly have room for 5. So I am already over capacity. As of yesterday my plan was to give up my parking spot in the garage, move Flash out there, and start to convert that into pinball room number two. Then this LOTR came up for sale. I would love to own a LOTR so I'm reconsidering my plans.

WOZ and TS are long term keepers and RBION is new to me. So those three are staying. I enjoy Flash but I have no special connection to it, so I don't mind moving it along. I really like the way BSD kicks my ass but I've played the hell out of it and haven't been playing it much recently. I don't think DW is a long term keeper for me but at the same time I don't feel like I'm done with it yet. I like the variety of my current line up and I've hosted a league event at my house and would like to do so again in the future (6 are better than 5 with respect to league especially if they are fast playing games).

LOTR is high on my want list but I'm not sure I'm ready to sell DW or BSD yet. If I do sell them they may end up on the re-buy list. So should I sell DW or BSD and Flash to get LOTR?

#2 7 years ago

If your DW or BSD are very nice, sell one (or both) to me, and I'll sell them back to you in 6 months, if you want.

#3 7 years ago

I love LOTR, it or TSPP will be next for me. But LOTR is not for league play unless you want to be up all night. Keep BSD loose Flash and DW.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

If your DW or BSD are very nice, sell one (or both) to me, and I'll sell them back to you in 6 months, if you want.

They aren't very nice. They are average, players games. Both are reimports with nice playfields but faded cabs.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from KloggMonkey:

I love LOTR, it or TSPP will be next for me. But LOTR is not for league play unless you want to be up all night. Keep BSD loose Flash and DW.

Sure it is, just have to remove the outlane posts and install the Extra Hard preset.

#6 7 years ago

Sell Flash and DW. Get the precious.

#7 7 years ago

I'm have the same dilemma as you but with MET instead of LOTR. Let me know what you do. If you buy... I will too.

#8 7 years ago

You need 2 more choices in your poll
4) Don't Sell Anything and Get LOTR
5) I Don't Care

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

You need 2 more choices in your poll
4) Don't Sell Anything and Get LOTR
5) I Don't Care

#4 is the short term plan thru the holidays at least. My dad is coming in town and I want to have Flash here for him.

Isn't I don't care and not voting the same thing? I don't expect any of you to care but opinions are welcome.

#10 7 years ago

Greatest pinball machine of all time! You should own it at least once!

#11 7 years ago

If you buy at a fair price you can sell it later on for about what you have in. So go get LOTR before it is gone!

As stated though, not a good league pin.

#12 7 years ago

let your least favorites go and get LOTR. When I first played LOTR I didn't like it...now I would love to have one.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Greatest pinball machine of all time! You should own it at least once!

Or twice

LOTR has no peer. It is the best "quest" based pinball machine ever made. Playing it on location or at someone's house doesn't do it justice. The only way to really climb onboard is to own it and have many hours of play on it. It has multiple levels in it. Destroying the ring is abosolutely a thrill. Finishing Two Towers or Fellowship is amazing. And earning a gift from the elves has never gotten old for me. Great callouts, great rules. Sell whatever you need to so you can own it for a while.

Of course, some will say the exact opposite. Long games, blah blah blah. It's just like any game, a lot love it, and some don't. But once you learn it, well I can't imagine not loving it. Great stuff.

#14 7 years ago

Get lotr, u won't look back!!!

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from whisper:

Get lotr, u won't look back!!!

Listen to Whisper. He bought mine. I realised shortly afterwards the gravity of my decision and bought another one. I won't do that again. It's on the the "do not sell" list.

#16 7 years ago

Buy a "Raven" instead...

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

... LOTR has no peer. It is the best "quest" based pinball machine ever made. Playing it on location or at someone's house doesn't do it justice. The only way to really climb onboard is to own it and have many hours of play on it. It has multiple levels in it. Destroying the ring is abosolutely a thrill. Finishing Two Towers or Fellowship is amazing. And earning a gift from the elves has never gotten old for me. Great callouts, great rules.

This.

Spot on and couldn't have described it better myself.

#18 7 years ago

Of course you should buy it. If you don't then someone else will. Then they will be the ones bored out of their minds.

But don't get rid of Flash...

#19 7 years ago

It's obligatory for any modern pin fan to own LOTR at least once!

#20 7 years ago

Is playing it twice good enough?

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Is playing it twice good enough?

I think so...playing LOTR twice is equal to playing IM 200 times.

#22 7 years ago

The journey begins...
IMG_0904 (resized).JPGIMG_0904 (resized).JPG

#23 7 years ago

Congrats. And before you put too many plays in it, order the POTD ball deflector from pinbits to save your Arwin plastic from cracking. There is another mod too I believe with a ramp, but it's ugly in my opinion and the deflector plastic is the least obtrusive visually. It will deflect 99+% of the balls on POTD over to the habitrail instead of bouncing down on top off Arwin's beautiful head. It's kind of dark over there in the pic, so forgive me if it's there already.

https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=464

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Congrats. And before you put too many plays in it, order the POTD ball deflector from pinbits to save your Arwin plastic from cracking. There is another mod too I believe with a ramp, but it's ugly in my opinion and the deflector plastic is the least obtrusive visually. It will deflect 99+% of the balls on POTD over to the habitrail instead of bouncing down on top off Arwin's beautiful head. It's kind of dark over there in the pic, so forgive me if it's there already.
https://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=464

You don't need any deflector. You just need to the sandwich protector pinbits sells. If you want to get to Valinor, you need the souls awarded in the Shire to have a better chance of getting the Return of the King multiball more often. It is the hardest multiball to win so you need all the souls you can get.

#25 7 years ago

I have an extra mod that keeps the ball from flying off the left rail, if yours doesnt have it yet. I ordered one before I realized mine already had it!

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

There is another mod too I believe with a ramp, but it's ugly in my opinion

To be ugly, technically it has to be visible..

Arwen and shire protection in one. And play the game as it was meant to be played.
IMG20161221185229 (resized).jpgIMG20161221185229 (resized).jpg

#27 7 years ago

I definitely need to read about how to protect my precious. The previous owner gave me uninstalled tower and Gimli Cliffy's as well a small piece of wireform which he said was a protector or "keep the ball on the ramp" guide.

#28 7 years ago

Heck, I wish there was a deflector to keep the ball OFF the habitrail. I bet mine ends up on it 90% of the time with no deflector installed.

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

To be ugly, technically it has to be visible..
Arwen and shire protection in one. And play the game as it was meant to be played.

Please forgive. I meant no disrespect to anyone with this mod or whomever created the ramp mod. I have only seen it in person on one machine and the one I saw may have been an early version or by another modder all together. It was crazed/scratched plastic and definitely visible. Detracted a lot from a visual point of view. So perhaps it was cleaned wrong or something.

Looks like I may have to look into pinbits sandwich protector in order to reach valinor.

#30 7 years ago

The PinBits POTD plastic pinball deflector works 50% of the time. Pam also sold me an Arwen plastic protector this you really need . Just ask her to just sell you it to you and the plastic deflector . She did it for me.

#31 7 years ago

Congrats best decision you have ever made!!!!!

#32 7 years ago

Good choice. This game is simply amazing and I don't think mine will ever leave the house.

Have fun with your new addition!

mittens

#33 7 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

It's obligatory for any modern pin fan to own LOTR at least once!

I owned it twice and NEVER again.

I vote NO to LOTR unless you like excessively long and boring gameplay. I have found lots of people geek over LOTR when they are fresh in the hobby, but after owning it they sell it a year later. Sure, I suppose it is good in a smaller collection when you are first starting out, but man what a dog of a game. It becomes a chore to play it quickly.

#34 7 years ago

I vote yes. Bought it new, and had it at home for 10 years. Put it on location a year ago, and can attest to its popularity there as well. I'm still not bored with it, personally, and have still not gotten to Valinor...

#35 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I vote NO to LOTR unless you like excessively long and boring gameplay. I have found lots of people geek over LOTR when they are fresh in the hobby, but after owning it they sell it a year later. Sure, I suppose it is good in a smaller collection when you are first starting out, but man what a dog of a game. It becomes a chore to play it quickly.

Boring gameplay?

Lol.

#36 7 years ago

It certainly won't be hard to sell if you ever grow tired of it. I think LOTR is a very fun game.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I agreed with everything here (and upvoted because of it), but LOTR isn't a dog of a game. It's a wonderful game. But yeah...for me, pinball is a game that you can sneak in while your wife is getting ready for whatever. A quick five minutes here and there with the occasional epic 15-minute-plus game. But for me, every game was bordering on a half hour (or more) long, and when you can destroy the ring multiple times in one game, you quickly don't even care about getting to Valinor anymore. I YouTubed it to see what I was missing (nothing) and sold it.

#38 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

but LOTR isn't a dog of a game

yeah, "dog" may have been a bit harsh.

It is JAFL (Just Another Fan Layout) which I find it to be the most boring of all the fan layouts. It shoots great, have wonderful theming and immersion, but man is it just plain boring to play.

I also hate the way that it continually gets louder and louder as you make it further.

Like I said, owned it 2x now and never again. The first few times it is a quest. It quickly becomes like a repetitive dream where you are wasting 30min just to get to a start point where you left off.

#39 7 years ago

Yes. Everyone should own a lotr. Just need to find one...

#40 7 years ago

I think some of the criticisms of LOTR are valid. My game came with the rubber on the lane post removed and the outlines at hard and I've still gotten to Destroy the Ring twice within my first 5 games on normal rules (I didn't however finish it either time). I'm a mediocre player so I think it is fair to call LOTR long playing and "easy". I'll probably install the hard rules and maybe up the pitch. But having that said, I 'm having a blast and will be happy to have it in my collection for a long time. When I want a short game I can play a different pin or just practice specific shots for a few minutes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 84.99
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

£ 110.00
€ 7.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RudeDogg Customs

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
South Bound Brook, NJ
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 41.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-help-me-decide-thread and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.