(Topic ID: 155964)

Yet another gameroom build thread

By amkoepfer

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3190 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0312 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0311 (resized).JPG
    andy_toilet (resized).png
    20170605_212447 (resized).jpg
    20160917_160529 (resized).jpg
    20160917_122704 (resized).jpg
    20160917_122732 (resized).jpg
    20160916_164726 (resized).jpg
    20160916_175337 (resized).jpg
    20160916_175343 (resized).jpg
    20160820_213941_(resized).jpg
    20160813_140622_(resized).jpg
    20160819_193753_(resized).jpg
    DSCF0002_(resized).JPG
    DSCF0001_(resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyderturbo007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#111 8 years ago

I'm finishing my basement right now and am going to go with Zwave outlets for all the machines. There will be an iPad mounted in the wall running the app for my controller. Then it's just a matter of setting scenes for whatever I want to turn on. There will also be a list of all the machines so I can turn them on and off individually.

#113 8 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

How far along are you on yours?

Everything but the theater is ready for drywall. I've been too busy to have them put me on the schedule.

#120 8 years ago

Here is what I was quoted if it helps for your comparison. The theater is separate since it gets a double layer of 5/8" for soundproofing reasons.

Phase_1_(resized).JPGPhase_1_(resized).JPG

Theater_(resized).JPGTheater_(resized).JPG

1 month later
    #260 7 years ago

Looking good!!!

My drywallers just finished hanging yesterday and the finishers start on Friday.

Have you decided on flooring options yet? I'm hung up on if I want to go with a sub floor or not. It would run me $4,000+ just for the sub floor.

#263 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Spyder, your room is looking great!

Thanks! It's a long road, but it's really starting to take shape. My dad and I have done everything (except drywall). We've been working on weekends since October. I'm hoping to have the main areas up and running in the next few months.

#274 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Just a nice jolt that made my arms tingle for a few minutes

It's fun isn't it?

I was drilling through a stud and tagged a 110v line on the other side with the drill. It definitely hurt, that's for sure.

#286 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

But im nearing the end of my drywalling! 138 sheets so far

That's a lot of drywall to lug around. My guys went through 128 sheets, but 68 of them were 12 - 16' sheets.

Looking good! Have you started thinking about flooring?

#289 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

itll probably have to wait a little while since im so over budget on the build

I'm running out of money too.

Every time I turn around it's $700 here, $1,200 there. I don't think I can drive through Home Depot's parking lot without spending $200.

#297 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

Your house burn down because of faulty wiring your insurance company and the city will ask to see your records of the permit.

Actually, that is incorrect. I talked to two different agents from different agencies, they both told me that there is no way an insurance company can deny a claim because permits weren't pulled. To quote one agent, "Insurance covers stupid".

I didn't pull permits, but I did pay a licensed electrician and a licensed plumber to stop by and inspect my work. I also had the electrician make the final connections in the breaker box.

They really just want you to pull permits so they can reassess your house and jack up your property taxes. Eff them.

#298 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Drywall guy is finishing the tv area today, going to start the kitchen part tomorrow and the bathroom as soon as i get it done. Probably monday

It looks great. My drywall guy is doing the finish sanding today and will be all done this afternoon. I picked up 10g of PVA primer from Sherwin Williams on the recommendation of my brother in law who is a painter by trade. I guess I'll be paining this weekend.

#319 7 years ago
    Quoted from fiberdude120:

You will need them if you ever want to sell.

According to my real estate agent, no one cares about permits when you go to sell and I won't have any issues.

Quoted from jathomp22:

I'm working on remodeling my basement and decided to be a good citizen and get the permit. Now I'm stuck buying over $300 of expensive AFCI breakers and have to put tamper proof outlets (which I hate) everywhere!!

I'm so glad I didn't have to go that route. They take up so much space in the panel, are so expensive and according to my electrician can cause all sorts of issues. He said they like to false trip for no reason at all. I would have had to add a sub panel if I went the AFCI route because of not being able to use the double pole breakers.

#345 7 years ago

Send him to my house when he's done there. My floor really needs mopped of all the drywall dust too.

1 week later
    #371 7 years ago

I did 3 outlets on each 20a circuit in the game room so I was sure I'd have enough overhead for 6 pinball machines on each circuit. There were two circuits where I cheated and branched off for a TV, but these days they pull almost nothing.

In the other areas, you can pretty much do a room per 20A circuit, but code in my area is no more than 14 outlets on a single 20A circuit. I ran another 20A just for all my GFIs. I started in the bathroom and then branched off from there over to the bar, so there are only 5 outlets on that circuit. That way I can put one GFI at the start of the circuit and it will protect all the outlets down the line.

I'm installing a theater and ran two dedicated 20A outlets for all the equipment and the projector.

#376 7 years ago
    Quoted from fordtudoor:

Note: at clipping my movie theater can pull 80 amps; therefore, the sub-panel.

You're joking, right?

#415 7 years ago

Looking great! I still haven't even picked out wall colors yet.

#425 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

I didnt realize most dimmers wattage rating drops if you put more than one next to each other.

That unfortunate. I think LEDs are the way to go. I went that route and am very happy with them so far. A little on the expensive side, but nothing crazy.

#443 7 years ago
    Quoted from fordtudoor:

Empty houses seem huge until you start staging the furniture.

Who needs furniture....we have pinball machines!!

My basement looked huge until we put up the walls, now, not so much. Takes forever to walk all the way around to grab a tool. We used to just walk through the studded walls to grab something.

#459 7 years ago

I think, but don't quote me on this, that 20 amp outlets are tamper proof by default. It's the 15 amp where you have a choice.

3 weeks later
    #540 7 years ago

I'm afraid if I moved anything into the basement before it was finished that I would never get it done.

Looking good though! I'm at a roadblock waiting for reclaimed lumber before I can pick out paint.

#548 7 years ago

I'm actually going in the middle of dry laying my bathroom right now. We are going right over the slab.

#557 7 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

I messed up the floor leveler last night, followed instructions exactally and all seperated when i poured it, all seperated and water everywhere.

I was watching some self leveling videos last night and ran across this one.

He specifically addresses the problem of separation which is apparently caused by too much water in the mix. Not sure if it will help or not?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider spyderturbo007.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/yet-another-gameroom-build-thread?tu=spyderturbo007 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.